Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Been on about zelalem for a while in here
    And have to say he looks like a baller

I wish he was a little bit taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wish he was a little bit taller.

I think they said hes 5'10 and 16 years old? Will be 6'0 when hes 18 surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AdamD wrote: »
    I think they said hes 5'10 and 16 years old? Will be 6'0 when hes 18 surely

Wooosh over your head that went ;).

Ahhhhh I get it now fml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

greendom wrote: »
    L'Equipe is reporting that Arsenal are signing Bernard on a 5 year deal. Medical organised for Friday.

As the joke doing the rounds on twitter would suggest 'Arsenal are waiting for M'Vila to be finished with the treadmill' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I am feeling giddy for Giroud next season. I think he will shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So is there any substance to the bernard story im afraid to get my hopes up

• Advertisement

How reliable are L'Equipe? I don't know anything about Bernard but someone posted a video were it stated his weight as 54kg I'd be fearful the better defenders in the league would just have to blow him off the ball.

Modric for one coped with the demands of the Premier League among others. Look at Juninho who was roughly same height and build. Brazilians tend to adapt well anyhow. Thousands of pro Brazilian footballers scattered all over the globe. This lad was a super sub for them. I really hope we do get him.

Brazil (or South American football) not lacking in physicality either and their national team proved against Spain in the Condederations final recently that they are well able to up the ante.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

L'Equipe are generally pretty well connected for Arsenal stories. Hard to know.

We could definitely do with a creative wide player though!

Modric for one coped with the demands of the Premier League among others. Look at Juninho who was roughly same height and build. Brazilians tend to adapt well anyhow. Thousands of pro Brazilian footballers scattered all over the globe. This lad was a super sub for them. I really hope we do get him.

Brazil (or South American football) not lacking in physicality either and their national team proved against Spain in the Condederations final recently that they are well able to up the ante.

Ah yeh im not saying he won't be able for it, Zola for me would be the best example of a player who despite being vertically challenged was a tremendous player.

It just be the only fear I'd have but if reports are true and were willing to pay that for him he must really be a special talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Ah yeh im not saying he won't be able for it, Zola for me would be the best example of a player who despite being vertically challenged was a tremendous player.

It just be the only fear I'd have but if reports are true and were willing to pay that for him he must really be a special talent.

He was on during the confederations cup for a little bit and if he shows himself to be as good as that again I would be getting excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hopefully, if only to see him standing next to Mertesacker.

Wenger says Bernard story untrue according to John Cross. Bah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

L'Equipe are generally pretty well connected for Arsenal stories. Hard to know.

We could definitely do with a creative wide player though!
    jester77 wrote: »
    Hopefully, if only to see him standing next to Mertesacker.

make of this what you will.

@johncrossmirror: #afc Arsene Wenger denied Arsenal signing Bernard when I asked him. 'That report is not true.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Wenger says Bernard story untrue according to John Cross. Bah.

That means he's signed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Classic Wenger, anyway he hasn't signed so he's not saying he won't sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

mike65 wrote: »
    make of this what you will.

@johncrossmirror: #afc Arsene Wenger denied Arsenal signing Bernard when I asked him. 'That report is not true.'

bah i'd just watched about 15 mins of the kid on youtube.

*shakes fist at Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

bad2dabone wrote: »
    bah i'd just watched about 15 mins of the kid on youtube.

*shakes fist at Wenger

He said the exact same thing before we signed Cazorla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Some craic if Utd's bid of 35 million was accepted for Fabregas and everything was nearly done and dusted then we come in at the last minute and get him for 25 million!

Carlsberg don't do transfers but if they did................ :D

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Some craic if Utd's bid of 35 million was accepted for Fabregas and everything was nearly done and dusted then we come in at the last minute and get him for 25 million!

Carlsberg don't do transfers but if they did................ :D

I think Arsenal's buy back clause is a little larger then 25m iirc.

I think Arsenal's buy back clause is a little larger then 25m iirc.

You sure, everybody seems to think it is in fact 25 million :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Is it not a 25m fixed fee for Arsenal and then if he goes elsewhere we get 25% of the profit above 25m? ie. if he was sold to ManUre for 30m we would get 1.25m

Some fans taking what Wenger said that we won't sign Bernard, he never says we will sign a player before we actually do, and when he does deny it the player signs a few days later, surely we know that by now

wawaman wrote: »
    Is it not a 25m fixed fee for Arsenal and then if he goes elsewhere we get 25% of the profit above 25m? ie. if he was sold to ManUre for 30m we would get 1.25m

Pretty sure its 50% of anything over 25 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

@JWTelegraph: Bernard won't be coming to Arsenal but club are still very much in for Suarez #lfc #afc

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

+15 GD already, good start to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

+15 GD already, good start to the season.

Woah! :eek:

That almost could be interpreted as a positive post from you!

Maybe the new thread is working. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hate pre-season games to be honest , Bring on the real stuff Villa at home !! Hopefully with a few players added by then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'm happy to see the youngsters getting a run out and i like seeing the lads training, but beejeeeeesus i'm dying for the season to start.

debating heading over for the Villa game as money is tight at the moment, but signing a marquee player who would be eligible for the opener - not you Luis, you hungry hippo - would make the decision easier to make.

Really does have an eye for a through ball.

Interesting point re: Wenger's Bernard denial - Bernard's club Atletico Mineiro are playing the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final on Wednesday, so there's a solid reason why he'd outright deny the deal. It'd also make sense why the medical was scheduled for Friday...

Could be coincidence too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Zelalem looks great :)

But he's apparently far from being physically ready for the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The weight that Zelalem puts on his through balls really is fantastic.

How are the other aspects of his game? I've missed watching the matches in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

The weight that Zelalem puts on his through balls really is fantastic.

How are the other aspects of his game? I've missed watching the matches in full.

Well it is very hard to tell given the teams we are playing.

His through balls have been great and they're definitely not only great because of who we are playing, he reproduces this every week for the youth squads apparently.

However, the physical side of his game is not up there at all yet according to a video interview with Jack Wilshere. Of course, that is just one man's opinion but the player is very light weight and I would say that he would struggle immensely in a Premier League game for that reason. Not a bad thing though if that's the only reason a 16 year old would struggle.

He truly is a gem though and I bet he will be subject to a lot of jokes in the next few months about how he will be a star of Manchester City in the future. It is a complement though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bernard who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Latin American journalist Martín Charquero has tweeted that Suárez is "very close to signing for Arsenal.” He was the journalist that did the interview with Suarez in January where he slammed the press. Apparently, he is also the same journalist that first reported Coates to LFC and Cavani to PSG...

Latin American journalist Martín Charquero has tweeted that Suárez is "very close to signing for Arsenal.” He was the journalist that did the interview with Suarez in January where he slammed the press. Apparently, he is also the same journalist that first reported Coates to LFC and Cavani to PSG...
    Imagine Bernard and Suarez in one go, I would eat my foot and hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I bet Suarez went to Australia to be closer to the lads in Asia, Wenger will seal the deal :P

Maybe the Suarez story has legs afterall, would we have bothered bidding if he was hell bent on Madrid?

Hmmm maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Champions league football, London, more money. It's possible. He's said he hates the English media but if Real aren't willing to pay for him, its likely his only other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Maybe the Suarez story has legs afterall, would we have bothered bidding if he was hell bent on Madrid?

Hmmm maybe.

I think our best shot for Suarez is if things get tied up pretty quickly (if he bites Rodgers, for example) and the Higuain contract details drag out at Napoli. Best case scenario, Higuain goes to Napoli, we get Suarez and Real are left holding their dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I think our best shot for Suarez is if things get tied up pretty quickly (if he bites Rodgers, for example) and the Higuain contract details drag out at Napoli. Best case scenario, Higuain goes to Napoli, we get Suarez and Real are left holding their dicks.

Real get Bale then and Spurs . . . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giroud 6
    Akpom 3
    Walcott 2
    Eisfeld 1
    Miquel 1
    Miyachi 1
    Olsson 1
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 1
    Podolski 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

A few years in the gym and Zelalam will be fine.
    Fabregas wasn't exactly bulky when he first started, but as long as he is quick on the ball he can do well.
    Reckon he will play Carling cups matches for us this season and be on the subs bench for a few League matches, he looks too good a prospect to not have him sniffing around first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So what number will Suarez have on his back? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Higuain was looking pretty overweight at Bournemouth last night. Perhaps his price went up so much as he is priced per kg.

Really,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23401101

Pic of him here (2nd last one), i wouldn't mind being that overweight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement