Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

batistuta9 wrote: »
    by who people in here or Wenger?
    Both.
    personally i'd rather paying over value on saurez rather than higuain
    How much? I can't see us getting Suarez for under 50.
    gosplan wrote: »
    They're not the sand
    I wish I got that reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I wish I got that reference.

Fixed

They're not the same player. That's where the logic is.

You and I see 'generic South American striker'. Those involved in football at the highest level would see much more.
    I don't need to be at the highest level in football to not look at Suarez as a striker.
    Very interesting point in the guardian yesterday which basically said Higuain could only play in the CF position which means benching him or Giroud always whereas Suarez could play instead of him or with him. That's quite a difference and who knows what other ones there are?
    Either would be the first name on the team-sheet. If it was Higuain it's simple, he's the one up top, if it's Suarez then where does he fit in? I still don't think it's much better with Suarez :pac:
    We just all wanted Higuain because then it'd be over, we 'd have our star striker and we could stop reading this thread.
    You saw my post about the state of our squad yeah? :P
    In reality though there's s lot about Higuain we don't know because despite what we like to think we're a fairly ignorant bunch when it comes to the nuances of particular players.
    His numbers and seeing him half a dozen times on telly is enough for me tbh.

EDIT: I remember what I said about a month ago and I'm not changing my tune, I've just realised that we're not going to spend smart :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

His numbers and seeing him half a dozen times on telly is enough for me tbh.

You've seen him 6 times and that's convinced you of his worth? I'm guessing the scouts have seen him probably hundreds of times. I'm going to go with them on this one. Wenger had a value for Higuain, Madrid wanted considerably more. That's the long and short of it.

Personally, I think Suarez is the better player, hence the higher price tag. Plus the whole rival club thing is bound to add a little more.

Either would be the first name on the team-sheet. If it was Higuain it's simple, he's the one up top:

Grand and in ways that makes sense but then it's 30 million to score five more goals than Giroud, and that's assuming Higuain is remarkable and has a 20 goal season first time out while Giroud only barely improves.

Yeah you can never have enough players but it's a lot of money to replace someone that probably doesn't need replacing.

Then you've the whole Jose Reyes, Diego Forlan, Juan Veron risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I think Higuain would have been a brilliant signing for you guys, can't understand why you didn't push harder to sign him. He was available and willing to come to you.

As for Suarez I just don't think the club will sell to Arsenal. I think he will leave but it will be to Madrid. The club would prefer to sell him to Madrid and there is no doubt the player would prefer to move there.

I accept Arsenal would be a move up for him but how long do you think he would stay at Arsenal when the likelihood of winning major trophies is limited. Even with Suarez it would be a struggle to see you win the league or the Champions League. He won't stick around for long if you can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Spurs have signed Soldado for €30m. That's one of the last few top class strikers around if the Suarez deal doesn't go through now off the market. It also means that Liverpool's striker replacements if they are to sell Suarez are smaller. Makes that unlikely deal less likely now in my opinion.

If Spurs keep Bale then we'll definetly have problems getting top 4 alone next season, unless we decided to spend some of our bloody money already. Impressive that they signed Paulinho and Soldado this summer without CL football. At least Levy is ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Truth is we have money to spend, we have a squad that needs additions to challenge, the players have even come out and said it, we have an opportunity to strengthen and challenge with the other top 4 teams changing manager, everyone can see this, why didn't we have our targets identified and bids in shortly after the season ended? It's a bit of a joke. Most of us are running out of hope.
    On Bernard to porto, Bernard is owned by a third party, as are a lot of porto players. Like henrik m who Liverpool missed out on. it's difficult for English clubs to sign guys with these types of deals This article explains it well in relation to the falcao move

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Truth is we have money to spend, we have a squad that needs additions to challenge, the players have even come out and said it, we have an opportunity to strengthen and challenge with the other top 4 teams changing manager, everyone can see this, why didn't we have our targets identified and bids in shortly after the season ended? It's a bit of a joke. Most of us are running out of hope.

This is exactly it. It pains me to see our entirely reversible, season-upon-season decline. There really is no excuse for how this summer has panned out. I don't know if it's the board or Wenger but we seem completely paralysed. Spurs look a much better side than last season, as does Chelsea and City. Anyone who thinks that our current side is heading to anything other than a 4th/5th spot is kidding themselves. What's worse is that plenty of fans are beaten down and beginning to just accept their lot rather than be angry at Gazidis and Wenger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Spurs have signed Soldado for €30m. That's one of the last few top class strikers around if the Suarez deal doesn't go through now off the market. It also means that Liverpool's striker replacements if they are to sell Suarez are smaller. Makes that unlikely deal less likely now in my opinion.

I wouldn't think Soldado is top class, neither would I say Jackson (another rumored striker) is. As far as I know it's not a done deal yet either.

People hitting the panic button far too early

TheGunns wrote: »
    I wouldn't think Soldado is top class, neither would I say Jackson (another rumored striker) is. As far as I know it's not a done deal yet either.

People hitting the panic button far too early

It's August in a few days, I think people are hitting the panic button at exactly the right time. Tell me a realistic target who you would like to Arsenal to get if the Suarez deal doesn't materialise.

angry at Gazidis and Wenger.

I think there'll be a huge backlash if nothing is done, also if no proper money is spent it's a sign Wenger Isn't renewing his contract

It's August in a few days, I think people are hitting the panic button at exactly the right time. Tell me a realistic target who you would like to Arsenal to get if the Suarez deal doesn't materialise.

You're really not enjoying this are you?

Why don't you try to unplug from it for a few days. You seem to be following a huge amount of sports reporting which isn't bringing you much enjoyment right now.

Why don't you try to unplug from it for a few days. You seem to be following a huge amount of sports reporting which isn't bringing you much enjoyment right now.

Yep, I didn't think you actually had a realistic replacement target to mention. Glad you're enjoying the summer window thus far though - Wenger knows best, eh?

That's good advice but it's hard to switch off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We also bid 8 million for grenier, another cheap bid which was rejected and we never went back with another one.

Do we really want these players or is it just a case of picking up a bargain if we can.

Reading were giving a trial to a 22 year old African player at the moment.

I'm not sure Soldado is worth €30m, and I dont think he would be good enough for us anyway. Not sure when this whole idea that if spurs sign them, they are automatically world class started either. There is a reason they are going to Europa League teams.

Yep, I didn't think you actually had a realistic replacement target to mention. Glad you're enjoying the summer window thus far though - Wenger knows best, eh?

Replacement for who?

Replacement for who?

If the Suarez deal doesn't come to pass, who would you see as a realistic replacement for us to target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Does anyone actually believe this?
    Cesc Fabregas says yes to Manchester United move

CESC FABREGAS has agreed to join Manchester United following a secret meeting between the Barcelona star's agent Darren Dein and Old Trafford chief executive Ed Woodward.

Dein told Woodward that Fabregas wants to return to the Premier League and that United and not former club Arsenal, who have first option on the Spanish midfielder, is his preferred destination.

Daily Express

• Advertisement

If the Suarez deal doesn't come to pass, who would you see as a realistic replacement for us to target?

I think it's pretty clear that all our high profile striker eggs are in the Suarez basket at this stage.

If that doesn't come off and Wenger doesn't have something fairly spectacular up his sleeve for another part of the pitch, I'll be fairly dissappointed.

That doesn't mean however that I'm going to be pissed off on Sunday morning that Spurs overpaid for an ageing Europa league striker that we didn't want and don't have space for.

I think it's pretty clear that all our high profile striker eggs are in the Suarez basket at this stage.

If that doesn't come off and Wenger doesn't have something fairly spectacular up his sleeve for another part of the pitch, I'll be fairly dissappointed.

That doesn't mean however that I'm going to be pissed off on Sunday morning that Spurs overpaid for an ageing Europa league striker that we didn't want and don't have space for.

They certainly overpaid but that seems to be the going rate for strikers this summer (with the bafflingly cheap exception of Mario Gomez). All our eggs are the Suarez basket and now is the perfect time for us, with Real distracted for the Bale deal. If it doesn't work out our options will be light and we'll probably end up overpaying for whichever replacement (if any) we go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

NUTZZ wrote: »

Daily Express

Just some headlines to fill the Sunday papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

NUTZZ wrote: »

Daily Express

I'm certainly not convinced anyway. With Thiago gone and Xavi another year older, it won't be long before Cesc is vital to that Barca team. Unless he genuinely wants to return to England immediately and Wenger's decided he doesn't want/need him right now, it doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I was still in denial about van Persie until the very last.

Olivier Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Suarez "tweaked" an injury and is out of Liverpools game this morning,

Perhaps he's not risking a move buy not playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Remy, Lopez, Huntelaar and Pizarro(not sure on him, but Matri is another option) would all be possible along with countless others.

A lot of business still to be done, Wolfsburg have apparently bid for Gustavo so if we are in for him I'd expect to see some movement soon.

Olivier Giroud.

I like Giroud but he is not and never will be a top 4-quality star striker or RVP replacement. We need an improvement over 17 goals in 47 appearences.

TheGunns wrote: »
    Remy, Lopez, Huntelaar and Pizarro(not sure on him, but Matri is another option) would all be possible along with countless others.

A lot of business still to be done, Wolfsburg have apparently bid for Gustavo so if we are in for him I'd expect to see some movement soon.

Chelsea are moving for Gustavo, which probably rules us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I gave up reading a few pages back but anyone who thinks we bid over 40 million and still says its a scam by the club need's to get there head checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I like Giroud but he is not and never will be a top 4-quality star striker or RVP replacement. We need an improvement over 17 goals in 47 appearences.

He will improve this season, but I agree we need a step in quality to partner him if we are to improve on 4th.

In his first season he has been very promising.
    Wenger will want to start Giroud in every game possible/required to further his ability in this team.
    Giroud thrives on one touch through balls, the team needs to adapt to his style of runs onto the ball.
    Has it now come to the stage where 1 season is enough for arsenal fans to say I know everything there is to know about a players ability/consistency?
    I would welcome Suarez, but don't expect it in any way.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You've seen him 6 times and that's convinced you of his worth? I'm guessing the scouts have seen him probably hundreds of times. I'm going to go with them on this one. Wenger had a value for Higuain, Madrid wanted considerably more. That's the long and short of it.

Personally, I think Suarez is the better player, hence the higher price tag. Plus the whole rival club thing is bound to add a little more.

How many times did you see Maradona play?

I gave up reading a few pages back but anyone who thinks we bid over 40 million and still says its a scam by the club need's to get there head checked.

I think the cheeky £1 bid over 40mil shows that in some way the terms of Suarez contract with LFC has leaked to them, be it from the player to Arteta or some other way.
    The fact the Wenger hasn't said "aim not interested in the player" is reason enough not to doubt it either.

I think the cheeky £1 bid over 40mil shows that in some way the terms of Suarez contract with LFC has leaked to them, be it from the player to Arteta or some other way.
    The fact the Wenger hasn't said "aim not interested in the player" is reason enough not to doubt it either.
    Is arteta good friends with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Everyone needs to watch Santi to soothe their souls.

Is arteta good friends with him?

Rumours are that they have talked on the phone, about things such as London schools for the children etc.

Personally, I don't think he is what we need right now.

This has got me thinking are we the only top club to let our top players go to premier league rivals, like city and united.

Liverpool seem certain Suarez won't be joining us because it would strengthen us and weaken them, are we a laughing stock letting our players go, ade, nasri clichy and van persie?

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think he is what we need right now.

You would say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The key things that suarez offers ahead of Higuain is versatility to play all along the forward line and a good record in big games and in Europe.

His versatility and ability to create goals as well as score them is key. If we don't get him I'd almost say we're better off trying to go for a winger and striker for c. 25m each, whoever they may be.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No loan for Ryo this year: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8842010/arsene-wenger-says-that-ryo-miyaichi-will-stay-with-arsenal-this-season
    Wenger said: "He did well, he's sharp and he's in the team. I like him.

"I believe that he is in a position now where he needs to play to have a good chance to play at the top level.

"At the moment he stays in the squad. If we buy more players I will reassess the situation. At the moment though, he will definitely stay with us."

In other news, I made the mistake of picking up the Sunday World this morning and was quickly reminded why I haven't read the tabloid sports sections in a few years.

Giroud is the big winner with us not signing Higuain. I think Giroud and suarez would be lethal together. If we're still in the no signings boat by next weekend I'm going to be fully panicking.

Lol. Comparison between Higuain and Maradonna.

Love it.

Lol. Comparison between Higuain and Maradonna.

Love it.

Where?

• Advertisement

This has got me thinking are we the only top club to let our top players go to premier league rivals, like city and united.

Liverpool seem certain Suarez won't be joining us because it would strengthen us and weaken them, are we a laughing stock letting our players go, ade, nasri clichy and van persie?

What we are guilty of is not showing quality players we have real intent on challenging for titles yes, but because of financial constraint and doing things the proper way.
    Liverpool have this problem at the moment because Suarez believes they aren't in a position to overtake Arsenal with their summer aspirations, throw in Champions League qualification, bingo.
    Otherwise why would he stay in the premier league if its all about leaving England.
    No one player is bigger than the club, players move on, we recreate

Where?

Apologies should be correct about this. Technically it's a grouping of Higuain and Maradona into a select group of players. So it's more using Maradona's talent as an analogy for Higuain.

Still no less rediculous.

Regardless, neither could stoke wet Tuesday etc.

Anyone read aldridge in the Sunday world today?

Talk about dillusional, saying Liverpool are a better side in every department, keeper defence midfield and attackers, and Suarez would be taking a step down.

How can he claim this after we have finished ahead of them for years now.

Talk about dillusional, saying Liverpool are a better side in every department, keeper defence midfield and attackers, and Suarez would be taking a step down.

How can he claim ugh after we have finished ahead of them for years now.

Yeah they are all doing it, Souness too, there is a reason Suarez wants to leave and it ain't because he doesn't like the taste of European flesh :pac:
    It's because he wants the taste of a European competition that isn't the Europa league.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How can he claim ugh after we have finished ahead of them for years now.

Yeah I was surprised at the level of delusion he displayed tbh. I suppose I was mad to expect a bit of objectivity in the first place.

I had to laugh when he tried to compare the team man for man in every part of the field and liverpool came out on top in every single department in his eyes. Crazy crazy stuff.

The Curtis fella (can't think of his first name) was equally as nonsensical on the previous page, though for different reasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement