Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah they are all doing it, Souness too, there is a reason Suarez wants to leave and it ain't because he doesn't like the taste of European flesh :pac:
    It's because he wants the taste of a European competition that isn't the Europa league.

Make sure you win your knockout round games before saying anything to strong! Never know who you might get drawn against. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

When does the the CL pre-rounds start?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

first leg 20 & 21 August, 2nd leg 27 & 28 according to wikipedia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Leiva wrote: »
    When does the the CL pre-rounds start?

20th August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

mike65 wrote: »
    Make sure you win your knockout round games before saying anything to strong! Never know who you might get drawn against. :)

There's actually a very short list iirc and Arsenal will be overwhelming favourites versus any of them.

mike65 wrote: »

we can get drawn against someone and so have a chance, I think that's the idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Paul Breen-Turner ‏@paulbreenturner 48m
    Apologies 2 arsenal fans;4got 2 mention ur club a front runner 4 malaga right back jesus gamez priced @ 5million euros!

Española de Fútbol ‏@espanolasoccer 51m
    Rumour:#Arsenal are trying to instigate a swap + cash deal with Malaga for Jesús Gámez, with striker Niklas #Bendtner heading to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

A right back? We've got sagna, jenks and bellerin. I would have thought we were ok for right backs.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    A right back? We've got sagna, jenks and bellerin. I would have thought we were ok for right backs.

I'd be happy with it, jenks had a great season, but cant put all our faith in him if sagna gets injured, its a very important position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Gamez can play CB too, wouldn't be a bad deal. Not seen much of him though

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Makes sense if Sagna is indeed 4th choice CB for the season.

Fair enough. Jesus gamez though, sounds like what american kids play at Christian summer camps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fair enough. Jesus gamez though, sounds like what american kids play at Christian summer camps.

Well he is cheap.

gosplan wrote: »
    Apologies should be correct about this. Technically it's a grouping of Higuain and Maradona into a select group of players. So it's more using Maradona's talent as an analogy for Higuain.

Still no less rediculous.

Regardless, neither could stoke wet Tuesday etc.

It's not comparing their talents. There are any number of players through history and some from right now whose records and/or achievements speak for themselves. Playing in most matches for Real Madrid (who are a good deal stronger than us right now) also speaks for itself, a better than 1-in-2 strike rate in the league for each of the last 5 years, 20 in 32 for Argentina and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's not comparing their talents. There are any number of players through history and some from right now whose records and/or achievements speak for themselves. Playing in most matches for Real Madrid (who are a good deal stronger than us right now) also speaks for itself, a better than 1-in-2 strike rate in the league for each of the last 5 years, 20 in 32 for Argentina and so on.

Ah OK, so in your entirely realistic analogy you could hAve just used Morientes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Dont understand how active this thread is when really and truly **** all has happened in the summer transfer window.

Dont understand how active this thread is when really and truly **** all has happened in the summer transfer window.

Ah now, a lot of players have left ;)

Ah OK, so in your entirely realistic analogy you could hAve just used Morientes.

What's unrealistic about using statistics and reputation exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaafa wrote: »

I think this is why wenger said he wasn't going to send ryo out on loan this season. wenger must be planning on giving him a fair bit of playing time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Hopefully he will give Gnabry more time than Ryo.

Not been impressed with Ryo at all

What's unrealistic about using statistics and reputation exactly?

Nothing, you're 100% correct.

Did anyone tell the club that scouting Higuain was analogous to scouting Maradona though?

Nothing, you're 100% correct.

Did anyone tell the club that scouting Higuain was analogous to scouting Maradona though?

Am I a club scout now?

Am I a club scout now?

Wild guess - no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anyone else think that a giant Gareth Bale transfer might encourage Liverpool to drive up the price of Suarez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anyone else think that a giant Gareth Bale transfer might encourage Liverpool to drive up the price of Suarez?

Doubt it. But it looks like this week will tell a lot about Bale to Madrid if Twitter is to be believed.

I really can't see Suarez ending up at Arsenal. The owners seriously fuçked up last window and there was open letters etc to fans.
    If they sold Suarez to Arsenal it would (imo) spark off some serious questioning of them and the jury's still out on them tbh with lots of fans.

"With our available transfer budget, it is baffling why season after season we can’t get the transfers we desperately need. Maybe it is time to understand that money is not the issue but those who make the decisions?"

'le grove'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Leiva wrote: »
    Doubt it. But it looks like this week will tell a lot about Bale to Madrid if Twitter is to be believed.

I really can't see Suarez ending up at Arsenal. The owners seriously fuçked up last window and there was open letters etc to fans.
    If they sold Suarez to Arsenal it would (imo) spark off some serious questioning of them and the jury's still out on them tbh with lots of fans.

I can't imagine it either but if Real pay up for Bale then it'll come down to Arsenal's willingness to reach a price Liverpool feel is acceptable and would be accepted by their fans considering his baggage/disloyalty to the club. To me, that figure would be a bid of £50m, perhaps with an extra £5m in add-ons. I just can't see Arsenal spending that kind of money though. I think they'll instead make a marginally higher bid, have it rejected, and give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If Real do buy Bale then it plays into Arsenal hands on the proviso that Chelsea get Rooney. There's no other realistic destination for Suarez unless Barcelona decide they want a striker and they quite frankly are the lowball kings.

PSG have Cavani, City have signed two new strikers, there's no way he'd go to United after all that went on there, Juve have Llorente, Milan have Balotelli, Dortmund have Lewandowski, Bayern have Mandzukic...

Liverpool may have to bite the bullet and accept £40-45m for the player when it comes down to it. I'm not a fan of Suarez but tbh the way things are going this summer I'm pretty desperate for us to get anyone who's an improvement on the first XI, and for all his faults, he definitely is.

I'll have big respect for them though if they put their foot down and make him stay, takes serious balls to turn down effectively doubling your money on a player and in particular a sum of that amount. In fairness too, he does seem the type that'd knuckle down and give 100% even if he didn't get his way.

• Advertisement

I can't even see bale wanting to go to Madrid, I think he would be mad too, he is only 23, he is in no rush.

I can't even see bale wanting to go to Madrid, I think he would be mad too, he is only 23, he is in no rush.

i dunno, most footballers would like at some stage to play for a megateam like Real Madrid. It's an insane amount of money though. I know he's their best player but 80million, that would go a long way towards redeveloping White Hart Lane.

To play with one of the best teams in the world with some of the best players in the world in a nice warm climate? I'd be all over that at 19 nevermind 23!
    i dunno, most footballers would like at some stage to play for a megateam like Real Madrid. It's an insane amount of money though. I know he's their best player but 80million, that would go a long way towards redeveloping White Hart Lane.

Yeah, while short term they'd probably suffer a bit I'd be worried about the long term implications of that sort of cash injection if they spent it right.

Ye but at 23 it can be a daunting prospect moving to another country, and to a big pressure club like Madrid, he seems happy in England, I reckon he might wait a few years before taking the risk of moving to another country, only Beckham has been successful in taking the leap.

"With our available transfer budget, it is baffling why season after season we can’t get the transfers we desperately need. Maybe it is time to understand that money is not the issue but those who make the decisions?"

'le grove'

I wouldn't so much say season after season (last year was pretty good) but defo this season.

All this dithering about over targets. I'm assuming we have a target beyond Suarez, perhaps the cheap Bernard bid was us.

The club is risking so much trying to save 10million or so on the deals though. If day the Bernard bid was us thru could just add 5m today to both the Suarez and Bernard bid and probably have them in for the Emirates cup.

If we have other targets, then what the hell are they up to.

Dithering!!

Ye but at 23 it can be a daunting prospect moving to another country, and to a big pressure club like Madrid, he seems happy in England, I reckon he might wait a few years before taking the risk of moving to another country, only Beckham has been successful in taking the leap.

No-one has really tried it at his level though.

Can't see him sticking with Spurs though. He's been there for 6 years. They qualified for the CL once and he tore the sh1t out of it. He must be chomping at the bit to line up against teams like Milan again.

I wouldn't so much say season after season (last year was pretty good) but defo this season.

All this dithering about over targets. I'm assuming we have a target beyond Suarez, perhaps the cheap Bernard bid was us.

The club is risking so much trying to save 10million or so on the deals though. If day the Bernard bid was us thru could just add 5m today to both the Suarez and Bernard bid and probably have them in for the Emirates cup.

If we have other targets, then what the hell are they up to.

Dithering!!

Time will tell I suppose but in my opinion once we walked away from the higuan deal I got a bad feeling things won't change, it just seemed once we had to act like a big club and seal the deal for a class player the club backed down, but I know people probably say he wasn't worth it so I could be wrong, but just seems we still aren't prepared to put our money where our mouth is, nearly august and still no signings.

Time will tell I suppose but in my opinion once we walked away from the higuan deal I got a bad feeling things won't change, it just seemed once we had to act like a big club and seal the deal for a class player the club backed down, but I know people probably say he wasn't worth it so I could be wrong, but just seems we still aren't prepared to put our money where our mouth is, nearly august and still no signings.

My feeling on Higuain is that Suarez is a better player who will fit into our team better and deliver more for us.

So I can understand walking away from Higuain as long as we get Suarez.

My feeling on Higuain is that Suarez is a better player who will fit into our team better and deliver more for us.

True, but its a big risk, lets hope it pays off because were one injury to Giroud away from chamakh leading our attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it seems two things could've happened with it

1) they dropped him when the heard the price

or

2) dropped it when they heard suarez was a goer

maybe even the two but why look into higuain in the first place (assuming the talks are true) if you really wanted suarez

• Advertisement

He could get injured and there's his dream move gone in an instant. You have to take these opportunities when they present themselves because you just don't know otherwise. People speak about duty and service but was his 20+ goals last season which actually gave them a shot at CL not service/duty enough? I'll never knock a player for taking a chance like that, I will knock them for not being up front and being a **** about it like RVP was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If I was in Spurs position, I wouldn't sell at any cost this season. FFP is calculated over 3 years (I think ?), so all that money they have given out this Summer could easily be paid off next Summer with the sale of Bale. He will go for a similar sum as this season and Spurs should be getting a CL spot with that squad, hopefully not at our expense. I can see why they would hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

^^^^^^ If spurs get the CL it will be at our expense.

Anyways, Buy all the players Arsene!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Can't really slate the club for deciding to go for the best available player. Can certainly slate them if they don't pull it off though.

Can't really slate the club for deciding to go for the best available player. Can certainly slate them if they don't pull it off though.

totally agree. I just hope they either go for it properly, or have a proper plan b. but we all know that we need more than a forward, any news on other areas being strengthened?

True, but its a big risk, lets hope it pays off because were one injury to Giroud away from chamakh leading our attack.

Its probably:
    Giroud
    Podolski
    Walcott
    Sanogo
    Akpom
    Szszeny
    Chamakh

In order of preference for the striker's role. Still more worried about the lack of movement for extra numbers at the back and at CM than this marquee striker deal, even a new LW could be of bigger importance.

cson wrote: »
    He could get injured and there's his dream move gone in an instant. You have to take these opportunities when they present themselves because you just don't know otherwise. People speak about duty and service but was his 20+ goals last season which actually gave them a shot at CL not service/duty enough? I'll never knock a player for taking a chance like that, I will knock them for not being up front and being a **** about it like RVP was.

That fact that he's only 23 also means that if he goes and it doesn't work out he still has the opportunity to move back or on to a different team and make a go of it. If he stays at Spurs until he's 27/28 and then moves madrid and it doesn't work out then the best years of his career are down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

AdamD wrote: »
    Its probably:
    Giroud
    Podolski
    Walcott
    Sanogo
    Akpom
    Szszeny
    Chamakh

In order of preference for the striker's role. Still more worried about the lack of movement for extra numbers at the back and at CM than this marquee striker deal, even a new LW could be of bigger importance.

your ordering is spot on.

I wouldnt under estimate the need for a top quality forward. Suarez could easily have added 10-15 points to us last year.

The couple of other signings needed in other areas would add to that also you would hope.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That fact that he's only 23 also means that if he goes and it doesn't work out he still has the opportunity to move back or on to a different team and make a go of it. If he stays at Spurs until he's 27/28 and then moves madrid and it doesn't work out then the best years of his career are down the toilet.

I also think with the whole image rights, trademark celebration thing, it seems that Bale sees himself as a superstar. This is kind of ironic given that when the rest of us seem him, we expect him to start throwing his own sh1t at us.

Anyway, image, marketing rights, hair etc - it all points to Madrid.

Line in the guardian as well quoting him saying a while back that moving to Spain would be no problem given he moved alone to Southampton as a 15 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That list is invalid without Messiesacker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement