Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That list is invalid without Messiesacker.

AdamD wrote: »
    Its probably:
    Giroud
    Podolski
    Walcott
    Sanogo
    Akpom
    Szszeny
    Chamakh

In order of preference for the striker's role. Still more worried about the lack of movement for extra numbers at the back and at CM than this marquee striker deal, even a new LW could be of bigger importance.
    It does feel like they are avoiding bringing in a needed acquisition over a marquee signing to satisfy the fans.
    The club will get a barrage of criticism if they sign no one, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

It does feel like they are avoiding bringing in a needed acquisition over a marquee signing to satisfy the fans.
    The club will get a barrage of criticism if they sign no one, and rightly so.

glad to see you are still alive

glad to see you are still alive

:D
    Same old waiting eh?
    Don't worry we can win a trophy this year, this weekend in fact haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

:D
    Same old waiting eh?
    Don't worry we can win a trophy this year, this weekend in fact haha

Think I'd rather be celebrating new signings than a trophy this weekend, but that's beginning to look pretty forlorn. WTF is going on with strengthening the squad ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

28cq134.jpg

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

At least we are having better success at getting rid of the deadwood.

greendom wrote: »
    Think I'd rather be celebrating new signings than a trophy this weekend, but that's beginning to look pretty forlorn. WTF is going on with strengthening the squad ?
    I am hoping its not going to turn to a "oh well at least we tried"
    If you aren't prepared to go to 50mil with Suarez, then at least have another signing lined up, Like DEF/MF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

http://www.givemesport.com/363669-michael-owen-warns-bale-against-madrid

Kind of echoes what I said about bale upping shop and moving to Madrid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sky saying Real are interested in Suarez but only if they don't get Bale.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sky saying Real are interested in Suarez but only if they don't get Bale.

Wouldn't be surprised, I think we all knew this is how it would pan out, well everyone except Wenger.

We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't believe that. Spending 40+ million on Suarez doesn't make sense for them. If they don't get Bale, they will simply save the money, wait and get him next year.

Wouldn't be surprised, I think we all knew this is how it would pan out, well everyone except Wenger.

We shall see.

Liverpool too, so I doubt they'd have wanted to push a deal through quickly while there was a good chance he could go abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Kirby wrote: »
    If they don't get Bale, they will simply save the money, wait and get him next year.

Don't Real usually just spend, spend, spend and spend some more. Cant imagine Perez having the discipline to wait a year with cash in his pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jester77 wrote: »
    At least we are having better success at getting rid of the deadwood.

It seems there's money in deadwood.

We shall see.

Come on Jack, Wenger Knows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I don't believe that. Spending 40+ million on Suarez doesn't make sense for them. If they don't get Bale, they will simply save the money, wait and get him next year.

They won't and can't do that, especially when they feel they have to usurp the signing of Neymar. At the stadium unveiling of Illarmendi the fans chanted "We Want Bale". It'll be Bale or failing that, Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

does anyone listen to the podcast 'a bergkamp wonderland'?

it's obviously an arsenal podcast and features different guys each week, geoffarsenal & some guys from the black scarf movement are among the guests that be on

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

They need to make a statement, well Perez feels the need to do so after Neymar moved to Barca. If they do go onto sign Suarez this summer, I'd still expect a bid for Bale next summer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

batistuta9 wrote: »
    does anyone listen to the podcast 'a bergkamp wonderland'?

it's obviously an arsenal podcast and features different guys each week, geoffarsenal & some guys from the black scarf movement are among the guests that be on
    Yes. It's very good. Also check out Steve's Bald Collective. I don't think that'll be back on until the season starts though. Arseblog also does a
    Podcast each week during the season. That should just about cover everything Arsenal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

G1032 wrote: »
    Yes. It's very good. Also check out Steve's Bald Collective. I don't think that'll be back on until the season starts though. Arseblog also does a
    Podcast each week during the season. That should just about cover everything Arsenal!!

Arseblog is doing a live arsecast at 8pm tonight for anyone that interested.

It's on everyone's favourite topic - Arsenal Transfers!

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    Wenger is apparently fuming and it seems its #Suarez's agent who's lead Arsenal on regarding the clause. The thought it was a release. #LFC

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    Anyway, the lad informed the rest of the forum that Arsenal were very confident on getting #Suarez. Now, apparently, confidence is very low.

LFCZA ‏@LFCZA
    I have become increasingly confident #Suarez is staying. There's a lad on ynwa.tv who is being briefed by an Arsenal-connected journalis

More Twitter lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A friend of a friend of a friend. And he has LFC in his twitter handle. He may well be correct but there is not enough salt on this planet..

G1032 wrote: »

i've listened to about half of the first one (11 july), it seems alright, not overly keen on the host though, is it always that long?

yeah i listen to the arseblog one the odd time.
    who be's on Steve's Bald Collective?

alan davies has one as well - the tuesday club, it'll not be back until around the start of the season either

AdamD wrote: »
    A friend of a friend of a friend. And he has LFC in his twitter handle. He may well be correct but there is not enough salt on this planet..

I imagine that it's absolute bullsh*t but it's probably not too far from the truth. We've been preparing our 'follow-up bid' for a week now, makes you wonder.

is he 'reliable' or whatever you want to call it?

Mild update:

@MartinCharquero, the Uruguayan journalist who is apparently BFFs with Suarez has just tweeted that Arsenal could make a new offer for the player tomorrow and that the possibility of a transfer still remains. Hopefully it's true and hopefully it's a head-turning offer.

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Arseblog is doing a live arsecast at 8pm tonight for anyone that interested.

It's on everyone's favourite topic - Arsenal Transfers!

http://arseblog.com/2013/07/live-transfers-haha-arsecast-hangout-special/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »

I listened to that and it's the same as reading this thread. Nobody knows what's happening and everyone is as disappointed as we are with the lack of signings.

Wenger & Co. are leaving things very late and the fans are annoyed.
    Is Suarez the only signing we are after?
    Everyone seems to think we need at least 4 signings but things are looking bad at the moment.

If we miss out on Suarez then what will happen? Signings at 23.59 on the last day without medicals?

• Advertisement

I'd like Fellaini, would allow Arteta to play a more creative role further upfield.
    Ah dreams..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I listened to that and it's the same as reading this thread. Nobody knows what's happening and everyone is as disappointed as we are with the lack of signings.

Wenger & Co. are leaving things very late and the fans are annoyed.
    Is Suarez the only signing we are after?
    Everyone seems to think we need at least 4 signings but things are looking bad at the moment.

If we miss out on Suarez then what will happen? Signings at 23.59 on the last day without medicals?

You'd have to think we're gonna buy someone, we're just lacking so much dept at CM and CB, and possibly in wide areas too if Gervinho goes. That along with all the departures and the supposed transfer budget is making me think 2 signings at a minimum. But you have to wonder how these haven't been completed already. I can understand a big signing taking ages but squad bulkers shouldn't, and that's all a new cb would be. A new CM or wide player might be a bigger deal but we haven't even been linked at this point. Its all very worrying, but the only thing keeping me positive about new signings happening is the sheer disaster there would be if we didn't.

I really hope we haven't been given the run-around by Suarez and his agent and lost out on Higuain in the process.

Comes across as incompetent if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    I really hope we haven't been given the run-around by Suarez and his agent and lost out on Higuain in the process.

Comes across as incompetent if true.

Its how we do things though isn't it?

I really hope not too, don't want to have to come here and say told you so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd like Fellaini, would allow Arteta to play a more creative role further upfield.
    Ah dreams..........

Arteta's fine where he is tbh, does a super super job.

• Advertisement

"At least we tried to sign a big name."
    Maybe that's what they expect the fans to think.

I don't believe Wenger would go against all he has done over the last 7 years (not throwing exorbitant amounts of money at overvalued players) and do it now risking the Torres effect and huge criticism if it fails.

"At least we tried to sign a big name."
    Maybe that's what they expect the fans to think.

I don't believe Wenger would go against all he has done over the last 7 years (not throwing exorbitant amounts of money at overvalued players) and do it now risking the Torres effect and huge criticism if it fails.

Plus Suarez is the total opposite player Wenger likes, loyal, well respected, no hassle players, just never believed this signing would happen from day one.

Should have just wrapped up higuan and moved on.

cson wrote: »
    Arteta's fine where he is tbh, does a super super job.

He does the job well yes but can be more effective with his distribution further forward, like we saw at Everton.
    What's great about Arteta is he does the job without fuss and pick a mean pass and it's fantastic that he moved further back in midfield for the boss and the team.
    Would still like to see him further up bossing CM and the surrounding area, linking up with Cazorla etc. Fellaini or DM would allow that.

Plus Suarez is the total opposite player Wenger likes, loyal, well respected, no hassle players, just never believed this signing would happen from day one.

Should have just wrapped up higuan and moved on.

I suppose you're right there.
    Do you think this is going on behind Wengers back and he just isn't voicing his concerns this time round?

He does the job well yes but can be more effective with his distribution further forward, like we saw at Everton.
    What's great about Arteta is he does the job without fuss and pick a mean pass and it's fantastic that he moved further back in midfield for the boss and the team.
    Would still like to see him further up bossing CM and the surrounding area, linking up with Cazorla etc. Fellaini or DM would allow that.

Problem is he always has to try cover our defence and bail it out, which leaves huge gaps in our midfield and our attacks just end up as side passing between defenders and mid, would love a proper dm to let the mid do its job instead of been pinned back.

• Advertisement

I suppose you're right there.
    Do you think this is going on behind Wengers back and he just isn't voicing his concerns this time round?

Sorry man what you do you mean behind wengers back?

Problem is he always has to try cover our defence and bail it out, which leaves huge gaps in our midfield and our attacks just end up as side passing between defenders and mid, would love a proper dm to let the mid do its job instead of been pinned back.

Yes, does happen a lot of the time, whilst it's great to see Arteta so involved in defence, it does leave a large gap that draws other players in there, as you say, a DM who doesn't deviate from his job would allow a lot more of the fluid attacking we are used to in more successfull seasons ;)

Sorry man what you do you mean behind wengers back?

I mean a decision by the board before they consulted Wenger, and he just went along with it.

As much as I like Arteta if we signed a DM then I think it should and would be Arteta who would lose out in midfield.

I mean a decision by the board before they consulted Wenger, and he just went along with it.

Oh right sorry, I reckon once real upped their price we got nosebleeds, probably could have met them halfway.

Ahem, halfway and £1 you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This is what it feels like every transfer window for us Gooners.

You would have at least expected us to have our main targets in before the start of the Emirates cup :confused: Am I the only one who thinks we need 4 real quality signings to mount some sort of a title challenge this season?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    This is what it feels like every transfer window for us Gooners.

You would have at least expected us to have our main targets in before the start of the Emirates cup :confused: Am I the only one who thinks we need 4 real quality signings to mount some sort of a title challenge this season?

Ya never know but the squad is very bare, especially if we get around to getting rid of the players that most want to get rid of. I think we're 2 players off an excellent first team, still wouldn't be enough to properly challenge on all fronts I don't think.

Just reading at the end of that about bender on 52 sterling a week and chamakh 60 sterling a week and won't take a cut to join another team, what were we thinking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement