Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I see Chamack is still at the club.
    Could we not raffle him and Bendtner?
    Imagine those two as back-up next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

tim payton ‏@timpayton 1m

The very well informed @amylawrence71 on @bbc5live tonight talks of tension at Arsenal between Ivan/Board who want to spend big and Arsène

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Just reading at the end of that about bender on 52 sterling a week and chamakh 60 sterling a week and won't take a cut to join another team, what were we thinking.

Realistically, as it stands, this is the season we drop out of the CL and yet it's so incredibly avoidable - spend some bloody money, find the back-ups we need and get everyone excited again. We genuinely do not seem to be chasing any player and are resigned to letting any target just flitter away. Feels horrible to say this but the fans have got make their voices known about this situation during Emirates Cup and make sure Wenger hears it.

tim payton ‏@timpayton 1m

The very well informed @amylawrence71 on @bbc5live tonight talks of tension at Arsenal between Ivan/Board who want to spend big and Arsène

How can he not see the obvious flaws and holes in the team, then see our budget, and not want to fix things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

How can he not see the obvious flaws and holes in the team, then see our budget, and not want to fix things?

Don't believe her -she's trotted out this stuff before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Realistically, as it stands, this is the season we drop out of the CL and yet it's so incredibly avoidable - spend some bloody money, find the back-ups we need and get everyone excited again. We genuinely do not seem to be chasing any player and are resigned to letting any target just flitter away. Feels horrible to say this but the fans have got make their voices known about this situation during Emirates Cup and make sure Wenger hears it.

Totally agree. You really have to feel for the season ticket holders who pay extortionate prices to watch a very average team compared to years gone by.

He seems hell bent on his way or the high way.

I am firmly of the belief that we could have won titles if we had only spent money to fill the gaping gaps. Very little money was needed but pig-headedness prevented it.

Was just thinkin back to the season we lost the league at Birmingham, we lost hleb flamini and gilberto that summer and bought ramsey- project and nasri, if we had of spent maybe 25 million and brought in 2 players we would have mounted another title challenge the next season and things could be so different now, just a random thought.

• Advertisement

He seems hell bent on his way or the high way.

It's just sad to see at this stage. Too much Wenger control and too many happy to continue the status quo of slowc decline. They're delighted to offer him a new contract too.

If the Mirror story is correct, just forget about Suarez moving to us. Even if we no competition, we won't pay the market rate again to take the step to the next level.

SSN: Real Madrid have informed Luis Suárez's representatives that he is very much their second choice option behind Bale. #afc

I wouldn't believe too much of what i'd read in the Daily Mirror though.
    Paper never refuses ink.

The lack of the promised signings is very worrying though and it's hard to imagine the mindsets of those in power at Arsenal and why they allow it to continue so late in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Was just thinkin back to the season we lost the league at Birmingham, we lost hleb flamini and gilberto that summer and bought ramsey- project and nasri, if we had of spent maybe 25 million and brought in 2 players we would have mounted another title challenge the next season and things could be so different now, just a random thought.

Really was criminal letting Gilberto go so early, I think he could of done a job for another few years and it would of benefited the likes of Ramsey, Song and Wilsheres development. Same thing could be said of Pires too.

In terms of the investment into the team, its been neglected for far too long , now is the time to show some ambition and bring in some real quality that will improve not only the squad but the starting XI!!

SSN: Real Madrid have informed Luis Suárez's representatives that he is very much their second choice option behind Bale. #afc

Which is why it's crazy that we haven't stolen a march and made another bid. He'll either go to Real or we won't bid enough for Liverpool to sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Exactly what every top class player loves to hear.
    "Don't worry you are our back up plan" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I see Chamack is still at the club.
    Could we not raffle him and Bendtner?
    Imagine those two as back-up next season.
    This is pretty ridiculous. Yes we want rid of them and yes we want new players but you know there is no way that they will be anywhere near the team and I wish people would stop saying it.

Ahead of them you have giroud, Poldi, Theo, Sanogo and Akpom at least

dvemail wrote: »

There's nothing insulting about being Plan B for Real if they are unable to smash the world transfer record with Plan A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

dvemail wrote: »
    Kinda like trying to shift the hot girls friend after she turns you down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OK. Just saw 4 new pages in last two hours.

Just finished watching 'the place beyond the pines'. Good film, very different.

Anyway. There better be some decent news in what I'm about to read.

gosplan wrote: »
    Just finished watching 'the place beyond the pines'. Good film, very different.

I found it pretty contrived with the second half full of tedious inevitability. Bit like Arsenal transfer windows. :pac:

• Advertisement

OK. Just saw 4 new pages in last two hours.

Anyway. There better be some decent news in what I'm about to read.

Arrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Nothing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arrrggghhhhhhhhh!!!!

Nothing!!

We're doomed I tells ya. DOOOOOMED!!!

Relegation fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Go to bed now my sweet gooners. Tomorrow we will sign someone. Tomorrow. Tomorrow maybe tomorrow.

Today's bid leaked.......
    abmq7Hs7.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Go to bed now my sweet gooners. Tomorrow we will sign someone. Tomorrow. Tomorrow maybe tomorrow.

The lack of the promised signings is very worrying though and it's hard to imagine the mindsets of those in power at Arsenal and why they allow it to continue so late in the window.

I don't know about Amy Lawrence's track record with these things but Wenger not wanting to spend seems pretty plausible.

He has to understand at some stage 2 things

1: the value he's looking for doesn't exist any more. Retaining our budget through successive windows is useless. The money does not serve the club when it's sitting in the bank.

2: this will finish him at Arsenal. We've a chance to push on this year and challenge. The only club I would worry about putting up a rediculous points total is Chelsea if it all clicks. We can catch everyone else with done improvement. If we don't, it's his fault and it will finish him at the club. Right now we're separate injuries away from a crisis at CF, DMF and CB. Of you can't find anyone to strengthen those areas despite a pretty much unlimited budget, then the market is not to blame.

All that said, I'm guessing he's just being a stubborn git and looking for the best possible value from Suarez.

I don't know about Amy Lawrence's track record with these things but Wenger not wanting to spend seems pretty plausible.

1: the value he's looking for doesn't exist any more. Retaining our budget through successive windows is useless. The money does not serve the club when it's sitting in the bank.

2: this will finish him at Arsenal. We've a chance to push on this year and challenge. The only club I would worry about putting up a rediculous points total is Chelsea if it all clicks. We can catch everyone else with done improvement. If we don't, it's his fault and it will finish him at the club. Right now we're separate injuries away from a crisis at CF, DMF and CB. Of you can't find anyone to strengthen those areas despite a pretty much unlimited budget, then the market is not to blame.

All that said, I'm guessing he's just being a stubborn git and looking for the best possible value from Suarez.

Great post. In recent years I've said that we've never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity but if there is no investment from now until the start of the season, I'm afraid that we're looking at a 5th place finish at least and who knows who end up with in our CL qualifier. It's incredible that we've reached this point but if the blame falls at the feet of Wenger it must also fall at the feet of the board for offering him a contract extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I completely agree with your second point. I had hoped we had learnt our lessons coming into this transfer window, and it looked for all intended purposes that we had with the shipping out of the deadwood. However we have resorted to just sitting on our hands. I'm still hopeful we can buy in the 3 or 4 players our squad desperately needs, but the reality is our business should have been done a long time ago. If we fail to add any players I really do fear for the club. The fans will turn on the club.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Completely agree.

With Suarez you could say they aren't in a rush because he'll be suspended for the opening games of the season anyone but there's no excuse for other players.

• Advertisement

Completely agree.

With Suarez you could say they aren't in a rush because he'll be suspended for the opening games of the season anyone but there's no excuse for other players.

We should still be in a rush for Suarez though because 1. Real will swoop if Levy continues to take the piss (asking for €145m according to today's Marca) and 2. Liverpool need to time to find a replacement if they are to sell him - the longer we wait, the longer the replacements for Liverpool shrink and therefore it becomes more in their interest to raise his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Rodgers said there's a cut off point with suarez, in one of the interviews on their tour.

which makes perfect sense whatever way you look at it, wait as long as you can for real or another overseas team to bid, if they do, they do & if they don't and if arsenal stump up for him, let him go and there's still time to reinvest the money, in either scenario

i don't know if thats what they'll stick to but selling suarez too late and not doing something with the money isn't that wise - as we know - and will hardly go down too well with the fans either

the longer the bale stuff drags on too the better, reports his parents even met with levy at the w'kend, it's giving arsenal a greater chance you'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

We should still be in a rush for Suarez though because 1. Real will swoop if Levy continues to take the piss (asking for €145m according to today's Marca) and 2. Liverpool need to time to find a replacement if they are to sell him - the longer we wait, the longer the replacements for Liverpool shrink and therefore it becomes more in their interest to raise his price.

You say that he is taking the piss as if it is a bad thing.

Maybe Wenger should have done the same with Fabregas or other star players.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    You say that he is taking the piss as if it is a bad thing.

Maybe Wenger should have done the same with Fabregas or other star players.

Not at all. I greatly admire Levy, he's doing the right thing and standing up to Real. I wish we had someone like him at Arsenal so we wouldn't become a feeder club for Barcelona and Man City.

EDIT: What I meant by "taking the piss" was that Levy came up with a figure that would completely outrage Real for a player he won't sell ("Just Madness" is the Marca headline) and cannot be seen as a realistic valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I dont think a team wanting to hang on to their best players or slapping big price tags on them is taking the piss. A big part of me wishes we werent so spineless when it came to selling players in the past.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I dont think a team wanting to hang on to their best players or slapping big price tags on them is taking the piss. A big part of me wishes we werent so spineless when it came to selling players in the past.

In the past we had big debts to pay and weak commercial deals relative to those around us.

No such excuses anymore.

Still, to sell RVP to united and for 24m, my god, what a steal they got. Look at Soldado, 26m apparently and he’s not a patch on RVP. Sickening. Song for 15m.
    We basically came through last summer with a net spend (love that phrase) of close to zero.

I’m a huge wenger fan in many ways, I can appreciate economic frugality and I admire the will to develop our own players and give youth a chance.
    But there’s no excuse now not to spend the money we have. Liverpool have more or less quoted a price for Suarez. 50m. Pay it. We’ll look (more) like a shower of clowns if we come out of this window empty handed. We’ll look completely foolish if we don’t strengthen and loose our CL spot to our hated rivals.
    Like everyone I agree with Gosplan, if he fails to improve the team with the resources placed at his disposal then this summer will finish Wenger at arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Henry started to play badly before he left, Fabregas was never going to stay and Van Persie is the only one where maybe they should have let the contract just run out.

Adebayor, Nasri, Toure and Song haven't exactly done well since they left. Maybe Hleb, Gilberto and Clichy would've been good to keep but I don't think selling has been a problem they could avoid. Biggest problem is they haven't brought a lot of players back in.

That said, I agree that there's no reason to complain about Suarez. Price is appropriate tbh and the only issue I have is that the club don't substantially up the offer. If Higuain went for 40m, then Suarez is more than worth 50m.

Would really like some new faces in before the season starts but I have a feeling we will be waiting until after we get through to the Champions League group stages as we have done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

What I don't get is with all this "pressure" coming from the board to buy players, why don't they just go out and buy them themselves? Perez does it for Madrid and the manager just has to accept it.

I understand that Wenger might not like that, but if it helped push us to the next level and then Wenger can get back to the other 2-3 deals for peanuts he likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I reckon we won't announce any signings until we announce the "big one"

All the same who we sign unless its the star name fans will moan

• Advertisement

All the same who we sign unless its the star name fans will moan

disagree, i think i'd be totally relieved at this point if we signed someone to make our weak areas better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

disagree, i think i'd be totally relieved at this point if we signed someone to make our weak areas better.

But there's only one person looking for us to sign "super super quality". Look at Etienne Capoue. I think he'd really strengthen our midfield as he looks a fine player. Cardiff have him pretty much in the bag for £8m. Why weren't we in for him? Why are we hearing that Sagna is going to be 4th choice CB instead of us looking to strengthen? We had the unusual position fo our CEO saying the manager has money to spend. What other club would say that? As gosplan said, he's just stubborn. We massively got away with it last year by Giroud staying fit. It wold be folly to risk that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

All I want is a signing to improve the first team that isnt a reaction to selling a player.

We massively got away with it last year by Giroud staying fit. It wold be folly to risk that again.
    Completely agree, we lucked out as poldi and Walcott scored some crucial goals and Chesney made a couple of great saves. Without Giroud linking play in those 3 games we struggled badly. Wenger must have seen this, he’s a very intelligent man and he’s forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know. We’re short at CB, we’re short at central striker, we’re short in midfield. We’ve cleared millions off the wage bill, we’ve cleared 8 or so deadwood players, we’ve got money coming in. Capoue would probably start for us. 8m. It’s outrageous that we’re not in for him at that price.
    It’s crazy how most managers want more money to sign players, but Wenger seems to put a value on someone and not exceed that price even if the club can afford it. Jovetic went for 22m. We could EASILY afford that. Fellaini is apparently 24m. We could EASILY afford that. I agree that Ashley Williams at 10m is expensive but Rami is available from Valencia for good value and would be a great addition to the CB line.
    I’m just frustrated and with 3 weeks to go I’m angry that the targets hadn’t already been sorted and moves already made. I’m running out of patience.

In the past we had big debts to pay and weak commercial deals relative to those around us.

No such excuses anymore.

Still, to sell RVP to united and for 24m, my god, what a steal they got. Look at Soldado, 26m apparently and he’s not a patch on RVP. Sickening. Song for 15m.
    We basically came through last summer with a net spend (love that phrase) of close to zero.

I’m a huge wenger fan in many ways, I can appreciate economic frugality and I admire the will to develop our own players and give youth a chance.
    But there’s no excuse now not to spend the money we have. Liverpool have more or less quoted a price for Suarez. 50m. Pay it. We’ll look (more) like a shower of clowns if we come out of this window empty handed. We’ll look completely foolish if we don’t strengthen and loose our CL spot to our hated rivals.
    Like everyone I agree with Gosplan, if he fails to improve the team with the resources placed at his disposal then this summer will finish Wenger at arsenal.

There is only 1 thing that will finish Wenger at Arsenal and that's Wenger himself.
    The board will never sack him.
    Fans like to warn the club on forums every year, means **** all to Wenger or the board.
    He will stick to his guns and do what he always does, does his best with what he has/needs.

There is only 1 thing that will finish Wenger at Arsenal and that's Wenger himself.
    The board will never sack him.
    Fans like to warn to club on fors every year, means **** all to Wenger or the board.

sorry, yeah you're right, I mean Finish him in the eyes of the fans (well the majority)
    from the boards point of view he's perfect, spends little, achieves CL. gets revenue in. Thats all Kronke's concerned with.

• Advertisement

sorry, yeah you're right, I mean Finish him in the eyes of the fans (well the majority)
    from the boards point of view he's perfect, spends little, achieves CL. gets revenue in. Thats all Kronke's concerned with.

I went through that phase, but Wenger has done so much for the club and brought glimmers of hope every season for it to last too long.
    We can only hope for a new owner/investor to push these signings but it doesn't look likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Saw on SSN this morning that apparently Valencia are putting out feelers for Giroud as a possible replacement for Soldado.

Personally I think Giroud will have a great season this season, if he stays. It would be a bad move to even entertain letting him go.

Giroud will be going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

But there's only one person looking for us to sign "super super quality". Look at Etienne Capoue. I think he'd really strengthen our midfield as he looks a fine player. Cardiff have him pretty much in the bag for £8m. Why weren't we in for him? Why are we hearing that Sagna is going to be 4th choice CB instead of us looking to strengthen? We had the unusual position fo our CEO saying the manager has money to spend. What other club would say that? As gosplan said, he's just stubborn. We massively got away with it last year by Giroud staying fit. It wold be folly to risk that again.

I think we need a midfielder but I'm moving away from the thinking we need an out and out DM.

I like the idea of Barcay CB I'm not too pushed of we sign a CB If someone comes in I will be happy

I think we really really need a Striker get that and a creative midfielder I will be happy enough

As regards this intransigence in the transfer market finishing Wenger:

I am the most defensive, optimistic, glass half full Arsenal supporter in history.

If we were to begin next season without decent strengthening, I would finally be forced to revise my opinion of Wenger to:

''very talented coach, good at getting the best from average players, benefitted hugely from French connections & scouting insights in early years ... But ultimately not able to cut it at the top unless everything works out perfectly for him like Vieira & Henry. Too stove rb for own good."

If I want him out, I'd imagine there'd be very few behind me hoping he's stay.

All that said, he's not insane enough to ditch 1/3 of the squad and not sign anyone. There will be in's. just get on with it!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement