Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Giroud will be going nowhere.

Ya, I'd agree with you, 100%. Cant possibly let him go.

Not one to pay any attention to tabloid rumours, but SSN seem to know what they are on about. Just relaying the info.

simonmln wrote: »
    Ya, I'd agree with you, 100%. Cant possibly let him go.

Not one to pay any attention to tabloid rumours, but SSN seem to know what they are on about. Just relaying the info.

I don't doubt it, just Wenger won't let a French striker go after only one season, no chance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gosplan wrote: »
    As regards this intransigence in the transfer market finishing Wenger:

I am the most defensive, optimistic, glass half full Arsenal supporter in history.

If we were to begin next season without decent strengthening, I would finally be forced to revise my opinion of Wenger to:

''very talented coach, good at getting the best from average players, benefitted hugely from French connections & scouting insights in early years ... But ultimately not able to cut it at the top unless everything works out perfectly for him like Vieira & Henry. Too stove rb for own good."

If I want him out, I'd imagine there'd be very few behind me hoping he's stay.

All that said, he's not insane enough to ditch 1/3 of the squad and not sign anyone. There will be in's. just get on with it!!!

Have to agree with this. Massive Wenger supporter but if we dont strengthen Il be looking for him to go at the end of the season. Along with Krone and Ivan.

By strengthen I mean first team players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Kinda funny looking back on how optimistic we all were at the start of the window compared to now!

revz wrote: »
    Kinda funny looking back on how optimistic we all were at the start of the window compared to now!

Yeah lol
    Fans think by looking for him to go, things will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Until Kronke sells things wont be different. I don't completely understand the Gazidis hate one reads sometimes, seems to me he's done his commercial deals well. he's done his side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah lol
    Fans think by looking for him to go, things will change.

They will. Whether that's for better or worse is unknowable but the alternative is knowable and it's a continuation of our completely avoidable decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm still confident come August 31st we will have exactly what we need

They will. Whether that's for better or worse is unknowable but the alternative is knowable and it's a continuation of our completely avoidable decline.

They won't and you know it.
    As long as the club is financially stable, in the champions league nothing will change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I wonder if what is going on now is Wenger fighting with his on belief. As fans we see now as an opportunity to take advantage of the changes in the other top teams by going out and buying quality and having a go.

I think Wenger is thinking that now is the time for his own master plan to work where he keeps his developed team and keep them settled and this will be prooof he was right all along. He might be thinking I will give this one last approach ago, if it works great, if it doesnt he will leave and the new man in will take the funds he has and try something else.

If this is the case I dread next season, I do hope its just a case of clearing out all the dead wood and then bringing in the best of what they can get. I think the market is still waiting on one or two moves that will trigger a host of moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

A lot of alcohol?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'm still confident come August 31st we will have exactly what we need deserve

fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We'll have exactly what we paid for

Lads we didn't ship out 25 players not to sign players

Too many in here spend too much time on the Internet looking for transfers

Relax plenty of time I'm sure we will get 3/4 players in

I don't care if there big name, small name or no name

See how they work out then judge Wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

I really hate this train of thought though.
    The season starts on August 17th... You cant win or lose the title in the first few weeks but you can certainly make it difficult and also be out of the Champions League.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Our first match is less than three weeks away. The whole "people need to get off the Internet, we've plenty of time" thing is starting to look a little delusional at this stage. I.really hope I'm wrong of course but its looking more and more likely that nothing has changed at the club and we're going to sign even less players than last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ronjo wrote: »
    The season starts on August 17th... You cant win or lose the title in the first few weeks but you can certainly make it difficult and also be out of the Champions League.

This is true. Wenger seems to put too much stock on waiting til the end of the window is very close to try and save a few bob.

Really, I expected it to pick up properly this week. But nothing yet is a bit concerning. We certainly need a few players to add to the team, even ignoring Suarez or 'star' signings.

It just the nature of the beast most deals go down in middle to late August

Selling clubs gets under pressure then and can't play as much hardball

It’s not like Wenger got surprised at the start of the transfer window with Ivan saying “hey arsene, here’s 70m, go nuts!” the whole upper management at arsenal would have known well in advance that there was money to spend, the manager would surely know the areas that need improving in terms of playing staff, we’re a very rich club, in one of the most competitive leagues, in one of the biggest cities in the world, with CL football, whos fans are crying out for heroes and success, with the means to pay well, so SURELY we can attract players. My issue is that we should have had the players targeted, and with 3 weeks to go until kick off, had more done than Yaya Sanogo.
    It’s not good enough. City have dipped into the market 4 times already, and changed manager. We’ve done nowt. It’s not good enough at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Just like we've done before, I doubt there will be any major signings until the Champions League is secure. Certainly won't be expecting any until then.

Is Wengers contract up next Summer? If it is, could this summer be saving for next summer and keeping funds aside for the next manager?

Is Wengers contract up next Summer? If it is, could this summer be saving for next summer and keeping funds aside for the next manager?

thats crossed my mind. If we dont spend the money i'd say arsene has decided not to renew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If that was the case they wouldn't have talked so much about big transfers at the start of the summer? Lots of rumours about Wenger getting a new deal over the last month or two too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenals-luis-suarez-transfer-bid-2102816
    Looks like we won't be seeing a conclusion in the Suarez affair for a while..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Granted but a couple of things to consider as well.

We've a really easy start. The current squad is fine to begin the season.

Also Wenger's on the record numerous times as saying how foreign imports need some time to settle in and adjust to the premiership. Unless we sign from within the premiership, I can't see any new faces going into the starting 11.

I've no doubt that Wenger see's this as Santi, Giroud and Podolski's season. That's not to say we don't need additions but those players will form the basis of the attack he'll be putting out this year.

With all of that in mind, I can see him playing a waiting game, even if we'd prefer he didn't.

If you operate on the basis that the first team is set, then the start if the season doesn't matter so much, especially given the only premier league target is banned for a while.

Tis a dangerous game though. Get Suarez now and I'd imagine that it'd be a lot easier to convince other players to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nah, the money is there, the club have made it abundantly clear at this stage. It has to be Wenger unfortunately, I can't see any other reason for it. I wonder had Juve looked for say £16m for Henry at the time would he have paid it? We paid £11m. hindsight would tell you that he'd have been worth it at 3 times what we paid. Easy to say that sitting here but sometimes you have gamble/pay a bit more than you'd like to get the player you want.

As far as I'm aware AW handles the majority of the ins and outs of transfers now whereas back in the day it was David Dein doing the wheeling and dealing with agents and clubs. When you think back to that era you can't but argue that we used to do our business far more efficiently then. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but considering he left in 2007 and since then we've had an absolutely horrendous time in the transfer market if we're being honest, the correlation is there in my mind.

But **** it; I'll see what our hand is like in September and see how the season pans out. One things for sure; if he goes into the forthcoming season and doesn't kick on, if we have another groundhog day of scrapping for 4th, then I'll be of the mind that its time for him to fall on his sword.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Granted but a couple of things to consider as well.

We've a really easy start. The current squad is fine to begin the season.

Also Wenger's on the record numerous times as saying how foreign imports need some time to settle in and adjust to the premiership. Unless we sign from within the premiership, I can't see any new faces going into the starting 11.

I've no doubt that Wenger see's this as Santi, Giroud and Podolski's season. That's not to say we don't need additions but those players will form the basis of the attack he'll be putting out this year.

With all of that in mind, I can see him playing a waiting game, even if we'd prefer he didn't.

If you operate on the basis that the first team is set, then the start if the season doesn't matter so much, especially given the only premier league target is banned for a while.

Tis a dangerous game though. Get Suarez now and I'd imagine that it'd be a lot easier to convince other players to join.

A couple of things to consider too; we've 5 games in August, easy or not, if the Manager is still trying to bring players in then he's not got his eye fully on the ball for the matches in that month plus the general disruption that causes. Clubs don't like selling at that point in time because it leaves them **** all time to get another player in and they'll have already started their season.

Re the foreign players coming in; iirc Santi, Giroud and Poldi all started matches from the get go so I'm not sure where you're coming from there.

cson wrote: »
    Nah, the money is there, the club have made it abundantly clear at this stage. It has to be Wenger unfortunately, I can't see any other reason for it. I wonder had Juve looked for say £16m for Henry at the time would he have paid it? We paid £11m. hindsight would tell you that he'd have been worth it at 3 times what we paid. Easy to say that sitting here but sometimes you have gamble/pay a bit more than you'd like to get the player you want.

As far as I'm aware AW handles the majority of the ins and outs of transfers now whereas back in the day it was David Dein doing the wheeling and dealing with agents and clubs. When you think back to that era you can't but argue that we used to do our business far more efficiently then. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but considering he left in 2007 and since then we've had an absolutely horrendous time in the transfer market if we're being honest, the correlation is there in my mind.

But **** it; I'll see what our hand is like in September and see how the season pans out. One things for sure; if he goes into the forthcoming season and doesn't kick on, if we have another groundhog day of scrapping for 4th, then I'll be of the mind that its time for him to fall on his sword.

My thoughts exactly I'm his biggest fan but this is the season where all the excuses stop and he will be judged properly, if he fails to deliever it's time to step aside

We're heading for another supermarket sweep, pre-empted by an August humiliation that forces Wenger's hand, which could be failure to qualify for CL.

Things are so shambolic at this stage that the likes of Arsenal Newsnow no longer have new Arsenal transfer gossip but merely links upon links of people we were linked with now being pursued by different clubs: Fellaini (Man Utd), Bernard (Shakhtar/Porto), Suarez (Real).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We're heading for another supermarket sweep, pre-empted by an August humiliation that forces Wenger's hand, which could be failure to qualify for CL.

I can understand negativity about transfers but lets be fair, over 2 legs we aren't gonna lose to any of these teams:

Unseeded pot
    Real Sociedad
    Pacos de Ferreira
    Salzurg/Fenerbahce (subject to CAS ruling)
    PAOK Salonika/Metalist Kharkiv
    PSV Eindhoven/Zulte Waregem

and we aren't waiting to win that match before we sign players, that would just be ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A couple of things to consider too; we've 5 games in August, easy or not, if the Manager is still trying to bring players in then he's not got his eye fully on the ball for the matches in that month plus the general disruption that causes. Clubs don't like selling at that point in time because it leaves them **** all time to get another player in and they'll have already started their season.

Re the foreign players coming in; iirc Santi, Giroud and Poldi all started matches from the get go so I'm not sure where you're coming from there.

I wouldn't worry about Wenger's focus tbh. However I would worry about the mindset of a team who are all looking for new faces going into the new season threadbare. A bit of a boost and competition for places would be much better before the season opens.

As regards the lads starting last year, that was forced. I've no doubt that Wenger would have done otherwise if he could.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not worried about the CL, confidence is high and the players we have are more than capable of beating the level of opponent we'll be facing.

It's when the season kicks on and injuries start to hit as well as every other team around us improving their squads that I'm worried about.

AdamD wrote: »
    I can understand negativity about transfers but lets be fair, over 2 legs we aren't gonna lose to any of these teams:

Unseeded pot
    Real Sociedad
    Pacos de Ferreira
    Salzurg/Fenerbahce (subject to CAS ruling)
    PAOK Salonika/Metalist Kharkiv
    PSV Eindhoven/Zulte Waregem

and we aren't waiting to win that match before we sign players, that would just be ludicrous.

I agree but as previously mentioned on this thread, we're one injury away in about four different areas of the pitch from a crisis in each. Anyone remember the sub's bench of unknowns in the 8-2 defeat? I'm delighted that we've shipped out our deadweight across the squad but without any of them being replaced we're actually just weaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I agree but as previously mentioned on this thread, we're one injury away in about four different areas of the pitch from a crisis in each. Anyone remember the sub's bench of unknowns in the 8-2 defeat? I'm delighted that we've shipped out our deadweight across the squad but without any of them being replaced we're actually just weaker.

We sold 3 important first team players that year. You cant possibly compare. Id rather have no one then some of the players we got rid of so far this year!

Bench from that 8-2 match out of interest.

21Fabianski
    20Miquel
    54Sunu
    53Ozyakup
    22Lansbury
    15Oxlade-Chamberlain
    29Chamakh

Literally nothing there. Ox was only 17 and had just joined. Sunu, Ozyakup and Lansbury are gone. Chamakh is Chamakh.

Scary times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bench from that 8-2 match out of interest.

21Fabianski
    20Miquel
    54Sunu
    53Ozyakup
    22Lansbury
    15Oxlade-Chamberlain
    29Chamakh

Literally nothing there. Ox was only 17 and had just joined. Sunu, Ozyakup and Lansbury are gone. Chamakh is Chamakh.

Scary times.

I'd forgotten how bad that bench was :eek:

I'd forgotten how bad that bench was :eek:

the first 11 wasn't up to speed either :)

I'll never forget that day. 8-2. my man u fanatical mother in law texting me abuse. a day that will live in infamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

On the plus side. Santi is back in training

http://i.imgur.com/2YOF6b5.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Perhaps not over 2 legs, but PSV are well capable of beating ye.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Perhaps not over 2 legs, but PSV are well capable of beating ye.

Not after losing Strootman and Mertens. Maher should be good for them though.

Tbh, Arsenal should be comfortably progressing beyond all of those teams or something is very wrong at the club. I accept you could get caught on the hop but if you take those games seriously then we are a better team than any of those potential opponents.

Wouldn't welcome a trip to the Ukraine or Fenerbache that early in the season all the same. Pacos Ferreira or Sociedad ideally, but it really shouldn't matter.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not after losing Strootman and Mertens. Maher should be good for them though.

Tbh, Arsenal should be comfortably progressing beyond all of those teams or something is very wrong at the club. I accept you could get caught on the hop but if you take those games seriously then we are a better team than any of those potential opponents.

Wouldn't welcome a trip to the Ukraine or Fenerbache that early in the season all the same. Pacos Ferreira or Sociedad ideally, but it really shouldn't matter.

Pacos? Meh.

Sociedad have lost their coach as well as their best player arguably from last season in Illarramendi. A very tactically astute coach. Vela and Griezmann will offer some threat but you the way I imagine they'll play against you, you's should be comfortable.

Ukraine away due to travel and the weirdness that comes to travelling to that region Mentalist are based in is a hassle. You'll wipe the floor back at the Emirates though.

I know Mertens is a loss. After all, I dare say I'm the biggest Mertens fan on this site :D PSV have Zoet, Maher, Depay, Wijnaldum and Narsingh. All very, very talented players. Depay is one of the next big things from Holland. Maher has the talent to be a legit superstar. Zoet is more than likely the future Dutch No.1, whether that results in him going into the World Cup as No.1 or after that we'll have to wait and see. Narsingh and Wijnaldum are very talented in their own right.

Strootman is incredibly overrated in this forum by the by. Their CM area is weakened though for sure, no matter his antics, Van Bommel is a loss too.

I expect Aresnal to beat PSV, but it's not clear cut job whatsoever.

edit - Fener could be a tough one too, yes.

• Advertisement

Lads we didn't ship out 25 players not to sign players

Too many in here spend too much time on the Internet looking for transfers

Relax plenty of time I'm sure we will get 3/4 players in

I don't care if there big name, small name or no name

See how they work out then judge Wenger
    Getting rid of 25 players and getting in 3 isn't much different to getting rid of 25 and getting the 1 in that we have.

I see the "see how things are in September" is gaining traction, writing off a league challenge then? Under 3 weeks til PL kick-off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

We need to give our negotiators a pep talk like this.

League challenge haha
    Nothing has been showed that suggests anything other than CL qualification and getting into the top four is the goal again this season.
    To expect more, especially now without any finalised signings is delusional.

League challenge haha
    Nothing has been showed that suggests anything other than CL qualification and getting into the top four is the goal again this season.
    To expect more, especially now without any finalised signings is delusional.

I forgot we should be content with that.

nobody apart from Kronke is content with that.

No you forget that you spend most of last season saying how Shiite the team is, to the start of this season, no signings made and expect a title challenge :pac:

No you forget that you spend most of last season saying how Shiite the team is, to the start of this season, no signings made and expect a title challenge :pac:

Yes, you're right, I think with no signings we'll challenge well for the title. Well done on your reading comprehension.

Getting rid of 25 players and getting in 3 isn't much different to getting rid of 25 and getting the 1 in that we have.

I see the "see how things are in September" is gaining traction, writing off a league challenge then? Under 3 weeks til PL kick-off :(

I think we will sign the players and I think we will challenge

Yes, you're right, I think with no signings we'll challenge well for the title. Well done on your reading comprehension.
    Expect, read it again.
    But by all means do your usual moaning about how the squad is not good enough and we need this and that, then slate Wenger for not doing enough then slate the team for not being good enough, it's all you can do.

• Advertisement

I think we will sign the players and I think we will challenge

As we do every year, only to be let down and even more pissed off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement