Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As we do every year, only to be let down and even more pissed off.

Nope I believe and expect this year to be different I don't mind waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can somebody explain the logic of getting in signings using September 1st as a deadline as opposed to August 17th? Because I dont get it.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the logic of getting in signings using September 1st as a deadline as opposed to August 17th? Because I dont get it.

Falls on a weekend this year.

Expect, read it again.
    But by all means do your usual moaning about how the squad is not good enough and we need this and that, then slate Wenger for not doing enough then slate the team for not being good enough, it's all you can do.

While you do what exactly?

Where did I say I expect a title challenge without making signings? Because that's what you said I said above.

Nope I believe and expect this year to be different I don't mind waiting

Good for you.
    I don't see Wenger changing 7 years of proven management (not in fans eyes btw) CL qualification and positive bank balance.
    The board may do something themselves like Suarez, Wenger though, nope don't fall for the hype.

• Advertisement

While you do what exactly?

Where did I say I expect a title challenge without making signings? Because that's what you said I said above.

Whilst I avoid reading all your same rubbish posts time and time again.

Whilst I avoid reading all your same rubbish posts time and time again.

tumblr_loxom5hETm1qkwc9zo1_500.gif

Even if we did all out business now

How many of them new players would start on aug 17th

I'd say one that's only a maybe

So I don't see the panic

You can post a gif, good lad.
    Keep supporting your team :pac:

You can post a gif, good lad.
    Keep supporting your team :pac:

Way to ignore. It's good to have you and your bull**** back though. I've missed you lying about what I've said and then pretending that you haven't read it.

• Advertisement

Good for you.
    I don't see Wenger changing 7 years of proven management (not in fans eyes btw) CL qualification and positive bank balance.
    The board may do something themselves like Suarez, Wenger though, nope don't fall for the hype.

The 40m bid proves he is willing to spend.

Don't be foolish to think ye board is behind trying to land Suarez without wengers backing

Way to ignore. It's good to have you and your bull**** back though. I've missed you lying about what I've said and then pretending that you haven't read it.

Lad you're delusional, pleasure doing business with you FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Even if we did all out business now

How many of them new players would start on aug 17th

I'd say one that's only a maybe

So I don't see the panic

But thats only a relevant point because we've yet again left it too late to strenghten the team. The other top 3 are in transition. This, more than any season, was the one to show the hand early. But no, its passed us by again.

The 40m bid proves he is willing to spend.

Don't be foolish to think ye board is behind trying to land Suarez without wengers backing

Does it.?
    So by your summary Wenger bid 40mil for a player who's not going to be sold anyway for a price that they would never accept +£1 and that's just to test the waters eh?
    Very Wenger like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

No one can poach your signings. If he repeats what happened with Higuain, but starts on August 17th, the agent can't f*ck us around, the team we are signing him from can't double the asking price in hope someone else will come in and all in all our chances of completing the signings are much increased.

But thats only a relevant point because we've yet again left it too late to strenghten the team. The other top 3 are in transition. This, more than any season, was the one to show the hand early. But no, its passed us by again.

How is it though even If made all these signings in June

A midfielder might and only might start no one else would

We need the signings but as I said no panic as of yet

Does it.?
    So by your summary Wenger bid 40mil for a player who's not going to be sold anyway for a price that they would never accept +£1 and that's just to test the waters eh?
    Very Wenger like

I think we made that bid thinking it was a release cause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I fear that come September we will be left holding our d*cks with no major signings. The usual "super quality" players wont have been availible and we get stuck in groundhog season yet AGAIN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't know about Amy Lawrence's track record with these things but Wenger not wanting to spend seems pretty plausible.

He has to understand at some stage 2 things

1: the value he's looking for doesn't exist any more. Retaining our budget through successive windows is useless. The money does not serve the club when it's sitting in the bank.

2: this will finish him at Arsenal. We've a chance to push on this year and challenge. The only club I would worry about putting up a rediculous points total is Chelsea if it all clicks. We can catch everyone else with done improvement. If we don't, it's his fault and it will finish him at the club. Right now we're separate injuries away from a crisis at CF, DMF and CB. Of you can't find anyone to strengthen those areas despite a pretty much unlimited budget, then the market is not to blame.

All that said, I'm guessing he's just being a stubborn git and looking for the best possible value from Suarez.

That's it exactly.
    This year Wenger will either sink or swim.
    Apart from Chelsea who are strengthening the other top teams are static or worse off.
    This is the year when with a money and good players available we had it in our grasp to be a serious force and perhaps win the EPL. Alas we seem to have missed the boat again through lack of planning and getting our work done early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

A lot of fans have turned down season tickets, might actually get tickets handy enough this year, thanks Wenger!

• Advertisement

That's it exactly.
    This year Wenger will either sink or swim.
    Apart from Chelsea who are strengthening the other top teams are static or worse off.
    This is the year when with a money and good players available we had it in our grasp to be a serious force and perhaps win the EPL. Alas we seem to have missed the boat again through lack of planning and getting our work done early.

Agree with the first part it def is sink or swim

Don't think we missed the boat though

I think we made that bid thinking it was a release cause

Well the clause actually says Suarez would have to be informed and as Liverpool says that doesn't mean we have to sell.
    Now we know they will look for at least £50m for Suarez, no way in hell Wenger is going to risk failure for that fee and changing his philosophy on overpriced players.
    Wenger should move on to getting in some other players, maybe he already has.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The season ticket thing is a red herring, even though every year its claimed the 'rumours are put about around season ticket renewal time', it doesn't really add up; the waiting list for season tickets is like 40,000 long. Which disproves that theory but is also a bit worrying at the same time. Even if people choose to object to the board by not renewing their tickets its still very likely that they'll sell out.

AdamD wrote: »
    The season ticket thing is a red herring, even though every year its claimed the 'rumours are put about around season ticket renewal time', it doesn't really add up; the waiting list for season tickets is like 40,000 long. Which disproves that theory but is also a bit worrying at the same time. Even if people choose to object to the board by not renewing their tickets its still very likely that they'll sell out.

Hasn't that figure got a lot smaller?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Given the amount of players we have release, I can't imagine that Suarez is the only target. With a bit of look all the attention on Suarez will make other signings a little more private.

We were never a club to start targeting high profile players and I'd expect even now the hunt for Suarez is the only high-profile player we want to land - the others will be good squad players (maybe one or two for starting XI) that hopefully will turn out better than the ones we just released.

It requires a membership to stay on the waiting list for a season ticket doesn't it?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    that hopefully will turn out better than the ones we just released.

Jaysus that won't be hard now will it? :D

It requires a membership to stay on the waiting list for a season ticket doesn't it?

Wasn't there someone here who didn't renew these membership last year but got offered a season ticket this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't know about Amy Lawrence's track record with these things but Wenger not wanting to spend seems pretty plausible.

He has to understand at some stage 2 things

1: the value he's looking for doesn't exist any more. Retaining our budget through successive windows is useless. The money does not serve the club when it's sitting in the bank.

2: this will finish him at Arsenal. We've a chance to push on this year and challenge. The only club I would worry about putting up a rediculous points total is Chelsea if it all clicks. We can catch everyone else with done improvement. If we don't, it's his fault and it will finish him at the club. Right now we're separate injuries away from a crisis at CF, DMF and CB. Of you can't find anyone to strengthen those areas despite a pretty much unlimited budget, then the market is not to blame.

All that said, I'm guessing he's just being a stubborn git and looking for the best possible value from Suarez.

Brilliant post spot on the money.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    nobody apart from Kronke is content with that.

Is he though? Now I haven't been the biggest fan of Silent Stan like many other but this season himself and the club have made funds available and made it very clear it's there to be spent and it up to Wenger to spend it and they made sure it was clear it wa up to the manager.

As other have said I think we sorely miss David Dein always got the feeling he pushed Wenger and the club to make the signings we needed.

Well the clause actually says Suarez would have to be informed and as Liverpool says that doesn't mean we have to sell.
    Now we know they will look for at least £50m for Suarez, no way in hell Wenger is going to risk failure for that fee and changing his philosophy on overpriced players.
    Wenger should move on to getting in some other players, maybe he already has.:D

That hasn't been confirmed though as far as Suarez camp was concerned and clearly Arsenal were concerned it was a release clause.

So by your reckoning Wenger bid 40 million for Suarez absolutely smashing his and Arsenal transfer record a bid that if accepted would be one the biggest transfer in the world but at the same time won't bid 50 million because of fear of failure and overpaying for a player? That makes no sense, this summer the club have shown ambition they just need to learn how to get things done and push moves through.

I'm still hopeful we can get the business we need done because I'm a glass half full kinda person but they are leaving it late once again, which let be honest we can try our best to be level headed and say oh plenty of time left it will be grand etc but we all know signing a player early in the window is the best option for all parties I'm sure we had our targets before the summer and we should have been working on them before the window opened done and dusted we must be the most tight fisted penny pinching frustrating club to deal with.

• Advertisement

See if you still whistling "the club tried" tune after they don't bring in any big names.
    You are already happy with the club just because of some ****e rumour bid lol
    Wenger has said we are close to signing no one, we can still win the title without any signings.

I accept arsenal aren't going to sign Suarez and his teeth.
    I also accept Wenger will make his usual good value signings, Suarez is not good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Liverpool have agreed a €16m fee for Schalke centre-back Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Great value, great player, great age. Another club around us identifying gaps and strengthening.

See if you still whistling "the club tried" tune after they don't bring in any big names.

Well that's a nonsensical post were in my post did I whistle "the club tried"angle I just believe people thinking we bid 40 million on a player all in the idea it would be rejected and they could say to fans we tried is completely insane and they need to have a good hard think to themselves.

If we don't make signings I will be furious like most but I do believe as of now we are trying and we will still make the signings we need, but I also think the club need to learn how to finalise deals and not leave them till the very end of the window were they begin to panic, i.e we need a David Dein a man who can make things happen it seems to be what were lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

AdamD wrote: »

The waiting list is nonsense. I got a season ticket this year after applying last year. Don't know if it is because i live in the borough as when they moved into the emirates they had to give so many season tickets to people resident in the borough.

The waiting list also includes people who are waiting for 4 tickets in a particular area of the ground only. They will be offered seats but decline until those come up. But they will still be counted on the waiting list and there are thousands similar.

I know more people who have given up season tickets in the last few years than taken them up. The club are playing a risky gam. The season tickets are fine as long as the team qualifies for the CL but become incredibly expensive if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Time to break out this meme once more...

Time to break out this meme once more...

Or

• Advertisement

Well that's a nonsensical post were in my post did I whistle "the club tried"angle I just believe people thinking we bid 40 million on a player all in the idea it would be rejected and they could say to fans we tried is completely insane and they need to have a good hard think to themselves.

If we don't make signings I will be furious like most but I do believe as of now we are trying and we will still make the signings we need, but I also think the club need to learn how to finalise deals and not leave them till the very end of the window were they begin to panic, i.e we need a David Dein a man who can make things happen it seems to be what were lacking.

Be furious, it's funny.:pac:
    40mil +£1 is really being ambitious, especially when Wenger says "we are close to signing no one", and "I have been away for two weeks."

I just want to see early, good signings like you say.

Málaga coach Bernd Schuster: "Bendtner would rather keep making money than play football."

I hate this leech, we should terminate his contract, can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Something to read if you are really bored (note Comment is Free is populated with lunatics and pious gits)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/30/arsenal-luis-suarez-racism
    Arsenal shouldn't embrace Luis Suárez, however desperate we are for success

Eight long years without a trophy has left too many fans willing to turn a blind eye to proven racism

We should, then again Wenger should have tried to sell him a long time ago, emphasis on tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Be furious, it's funny.:pac:
    40mil +£1 is really being ambitious, especially when Wenger says "we are close to signing no one", and "I have been away for two weeks."

I just want to see early, good signings like you say.

28th August 2011:
    "No truth in the links with Arteta"

July 2012:
    Santi Cazorla? I don't know that guy!

• Advertisement

Anyone can pull fake quotes out of their arse fuzzy to make a point.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Anyone can pull fake quotes out of their arse fuzzy to make a point.:D

Even if those aren't true (and I'm not sure cos i can't find clear cut sources for them, just took them from a blog post). The point still remains that Wenger always talks complete shite in his press conferences about potential signings, there's no point taking him seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I don't remember hearing anything about Arteta till it was done.No medical.Just signed at the death.

Even if those aren't true (and I'm not sure cos i can't find clear cut sources for them, just took them from a blog post). The point still remains that Wenger always talks complete shite in his press conferences about potential signings, there's no point taking him seriously.

Yeah I do follow that, Wenger likes to dance around press conferences.
    But we are talking about a player that probably gonna require a £55m bid to prise him away and wages of £120k+ a week.
    he's not an Arsenal type of player, and I don't mean by his quality;).
    I don't feel he's a player wenger would actively pursue, and I think are squad is lacking but Giroud, Walcott, Podolski Cazorla is good enough to lead the line IMO and the money they are supposedly throwing around could really be used for other recruits.
    Wenger spent less in total in other seasons for 2 or 3 good players.

Yeah I do follow that, Wenger likes to dance around press conferences.
    But we are talking about a player that probably gonna require a £55m bid to prise him away and wages of £120k+ a week.
    he's not an Arsenal type of player, and I don't mean by his quality;).
    I don't feel he's a player wenger would actively pursue, and I think are squad is lacking but Giroud, Walcott, Podolski Cazorla is good enough to lead the line IMO and the money they are supposedly throwing around could really be used for other recruits.
    Wenger spent less in total in other seasons for 2 or 3 good players.

I don't know about that I honestly think he hard done by for the so called racist remarks he still denies it, and look how differently his case compared to John Terry's was handled whom they had a lot more proof against that and the fact Patrice Evra is probably one the biggest aresholes in the league.

The biting and a few other things about his character leave a lot to be desired but at the end of the day Higuain was my first choice he is gone now does Suarez have a questionable checkered past yes but would he improve our team which for me is the most important part of it yes he would so no questions I would take him much like Rooney I'd have reservations but right now they would both improve our team so I'd take them.

But it is a player Wenger is actively pursuing :confused: It's been confirmed by Liverpool so these bids can't be labelled media bull****.

I personally think we need 3 new players a CF first and foremost, a CM and a CB but it looks like Wenger is going to be opting for Sagna as cover CB either that or he is just covering his basis in pre season by trying him out there.

I don't know about that I honestly think he hard done by for the so called racist remarks he still denies it, and look how differently his case compared to John Terry's was handled whom they had a lot more proof against that and the fact Patrice Evra is probably one the biggest aresholes in the league.

The biting and a few other things about his character leave a lot to be desired but at the end of the day Higuain was my first choice he is gone now does Suarez have a questionable checkered past yes but would he improve our team which for me is the most important part of it yes he would so no questions I would take him much like Rooney I'd have reservations but right now they would both improve our team so I'd take them.

But it is a player Wenger is actively pursuing :confused: It's been confirmed by Liverpool so these bids can't be labelled media bull****.

I personally think we need 3 new players a CF first and foremost, a CM and a CB but it looks like Wenger is going to be opting for Sagna as cover CB either that or he is just covering his basis in pre season by trying him out there.

It's been confirmed by Liverpool that we bid 40mil plus £1 possibly in the hope that Suarez would be disruptive again and say look I want to leave now, which he hasn't.
    I've said before I'd welcome Suarez, but I'd also feel Giroud is being hard done by as he has only his first season to prove his quality, and it looks damn good to me, a lot better value than Suarez with all things considered.
    One thing I do know of Wenger, he is faithful to his players, especially French ones.;)

It's been confirmed by Liverpool that we bid 40mil plus £1 possibly in the hope that Suarez would be disruptive again and say look I want to leave now, which he hasn't.
    I've said before I'd welcome Suarez, but I'd also feel Giroud is being hard done by as he has only his first season to prove his quality, and it looks damn good to me, a lot better value than Suarez with all things considered.
    One thing I do know of Wenger, he is faithful to his players, especially French ones.;)

Apparently he has though and he still want's out and has had lawyers looking at his contract ;).

I like Giroud and think he will and needs to improve this season he had a good debut season but needs to step it up again a good bit. At the moment we only have one recognised CF I know we have Podolski and Walcott but Wenger seems happier with them out on the wings.

So we really do need more depth in or attacking options. Plus who's to say if we signed Suarez Wenger wouldn't play him and Giroud in the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sanogo is training with the first team, I just presumed he would be loaned out for a year.

Hope he gets a good run out at the Emirates Cup

Apparently he has though and he still want's out and has had lawyers looking at his contract ;).

I like Giroud and think he will and needs to improve this season he had a good debut season but needs to step it up again a good bit. At the moment we only have one recognised CF I know we have Podolski and Walcott but Wenger seems happier with them out on the wings.

So we really do need more depth in or attacking options. Plus who's to say if we signed Suarez Wenger wouldn't play him and Giroud in the same team.

It's possible I suppose, but with all that money on one player the expectations will grow immensely, not to mention the pressure on the player.
    It's hard to judge how or if it would affect Suarez.
    Regardless, Wenger really should have a second and third option planned, that will deserve criticism, more than anything else IMO.
    We don't have real cover do we?

It's possible I suppose, but with all that money on one player the expectations will grow immensely, not to mention the pressure on the player.
    It's hard to judge how or if it would affect Suarez.
    Regardless, Wenger really should have a second and third option planned, that will deserve criticism, more than anything else IMO.
    We don't have real cover do we?

In fairness I think Suarez would take the pressure on the chin he doesn't seem the type of player who would let it faze him in the slightest.

I would imagine he does have other options at least I would certainly hope so, because we have no real cover you could say Chamakh, Young etc but we all know they don't feature in his plans and will be given no game time shall they still be here, which would leave us relying on inexperienced and young players like Sangogo which can't and shouldn't be doing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement