Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

60k a week of French Moroccan ****e right there, and I still have a boot signed by him after the draw against Liverpool on the opening day of the season when he signed for us:D
    Thought he was the bizness:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

this is doing the rounds now and said to be leigt by that Dean lad who had to quit because the papers were hounding him for news.

Basically says that there is a clause that he can join a champions league team and liverpool are saying we are not in the champions league yet.

Take from it what you will, its actually an enjoyable read regardless of its legitimacy.

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2013/7/27/luis-suarez-cesc-fabregas-and-wayne-rooney-what-is-their-value-and-are-they-worth-it-for-arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

this is doing the rounds now and said to be leigt by that Dean lad who had to quit because the papers were hounding him for news.

Basically says that there is a clause that he can join a champions league team and liverpool are saying we are not in the champions league yet.

Take from it what you will, its actually an enjoyable read regardless of its legitimacy.

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2013/7/27/luis-suarez-cesc-fabregas-and-wayne-rooney-what-is-their-value-and-are-they-worth-it-for-arsenal

It's an interesting theory anyway. I would have thought where we are counts as the champions league though in an official sense. Surely it would have come up before if it was true though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah AFCCamden confirmed it, for whatever thats worth. Would be a very interesting scenario if true, I reckon Liverpool would have a better case than us, mainly due to it being called a CL 'qualifying' round. If it does turn out that way we'd want to be praying for Bale to go to Madrid leaving us uncontested as we await the result of the qualifier. Should be an interesting week at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know the date of our CL qualifier please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone know the date of our CL qualifier please?
    20th with 2nd leg following week i think . SHould be complete with around 4/5 days to go in window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah AFCCamden confirmed it, for whatever thats worth. Would be a very interesting scenario if true, I reckon Liverpool would have a better case than us, mainly due to it being called a CL 'qualifying' round. If it does turn out that way we'd want to be praying for Bale to go to Madrid leaving us uncontested as we await the result of the qualifier. Should be an interesting week at least.

The lateness of the game in August plays slightly in our favour, Liverpool won't want to be left with 3 days to do business if the clause activates itself on the 27th maybe it will become irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He needs to hand in a transfer request. Until that happens I think fcuk all will happen.

HazDanz wrote: »
    He needs to hand in a transfer request. Until that happens I think fcuk all will happen.

I don't think he will. Crazy as it sounds, tomorrow's Mail reckons Spurs will bid for him if a Bale deal goes through :-/

In any case, we need to move to a new target. This is getting embarrassing.

I don't think he will. Crazy as it sounds, tomorrow's Mail reckons Spurs will bid for him if a Bale deal goes through :-/

Spurs are not in the CL.
    They have enough to worry about at the minute anyway.

I don't think so either. Liverpool have all the power in the situation now it seems so putting a bid of 50 mil in would probable need to be the next step if we keep wanting to go down the rabbit hole to turn Liverpool's head.

At least it feels like this is coming to a head a little bit now either way.

EDIT: Spurs getting Suarez will not happen. A real step to the side for the lad :)

Spurs are not in the CL.
    They have enough to worry about at the minute anyway.

There isn't a hope of them getting him obv. They might get Modric though; The Times is saying that Spurs will sell if he's included in a deal.

There isn't a hope of them getting him obv. They might get Modric though; The Times is saying that Spurs will sell if he's included in a deal.

United are in for Modric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Supposedly in for Alexis Sanchez now instead of Suarez. Says were competing with Spuds (as usual).

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/29139-spurs-and-arsenal-ready-for-sanchez-bidding-war.php

United are in for Modric.

Yeah that's what Times were saying yesterday although if Spurs want Modric, Real might refuse offers from any other clubs right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeah that's what Times were saying yesterday although if Spurs want Modric, Real might refuse offers from any other clubs right now.

Come on do you really think Modric would move back to Spurs a club he wanted out of for a while before he was given the chance?

A player who United are after there no chance Modric would agree to that, or it will happen how often do you see player plus money deals actually happening?Very rarely but papers love to make them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This has to be the worst summer in recent memory for papers making up serious amounts of crap.
    Pulling stories out their holes every day. Worse than the weatherman for getting things right.

dvemail wrote: »
    This has to be the worst summer in recent memory for papers making up serious amounts of crap.
    Pulling stories out their holes every day. Worse than the weatherman for getting things right.

The boys must have some laugh making up half of the stuff. I know I would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Are Arsenal going to sign anyone at all.

Linked with Rooney, Higuain, Suarez etc. all summer and still nothing done.

dvemail wrote: »

The truth hurts. The story tonight is nearly identical in the Guardian, Telegraph and Mirror, so all of the papers had the same Liverpool contact. There's clearly some truth in it. If you wanna talk about people making up serious amounts of crap, listen back to Gazidis and Wenger's quotes in May on our summer transfer plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

The truth hurts. The story tonight is nearly identical in the Guardian, Telegraph and Mirror, so all of the papers had the same Liverpool contact. There's clearly some truth in it. If you wanna talk about people making up serious amounts of crap, listen back to Gazidis and Wenger's quotes in May on our summer transfer plans.

That is true thus far but i won't pass judgement until the transfer window closes. I still feel we will strengthen in a few areas.

djPSB wrote: »
    Are Arsenal going to sign anyone at all.

Linked with Rooney, Higuain, Suarez etc. all summer and still nothing done.

Don't forget Jovetic, Cesar, Williams, Bender and Bernard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well it's true in that that is indeed what the Liverpool sources are saying. That's not to say it's not just Liverpool putting their spin on it.

Still, not really the most promising few days. There better be people working away quietly on other deals in the background, which is the norm for us in fairness with signings generally coming out of nowhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The worst has to be Higuain going to Napoli for 32 mil. What did we bid in the end, 30 mil? Thats total BS, pay the price and buy the player. Spurs are after strengthening lots this transfer window, we are already behind Chelsea and Man City and to a lesser extent Utd. The absolute BS being spouted around here at times about City and Chelsea being "in transition" because they both have new managers, two PROVEN managers who will hit the ground running, as I see it we are already 4th or 5th. We need to strengthen and stop FANNYING around.

You I think your quickly over taking Button as the most negative poter in here :P.

Maybe it is true but it still doesn't mean we wont sign Suarez no were does it say that it just says the clause Arsenal and Suarez had hoped was true isn't.

Gazidis and Wenger's quotes may still hold out to be true once again I'll repeat what others have said the window is still open step away from the computer take a few deep breaths and relax judge Wenger and the club come September 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Could have gotten Higuain and Fellaini at this point for similar money for what Liverpool seem to be looking at for Suarez, some poor decisions have definitely been made.

FearDark wrote: »
    The worst has to be Higuain going to Napoli for 32 mil. What did we bid in the end, 30 mil? Thats total BS, pay the price and buy the player. Spurs are after strengthening lots this transfer window, we are already behind Chelsea and Man City and to a lesser extent Utd. The absolute BS being spouted around here at times about City and Chelsea being "in transition" because they both have new managers, two PROVEN managers who will hit the ground running, as I see it we are already 4th or 5th. We need to strengthen and stop FANNYING around.

Jesus this thread is becoming unbearable the amount of shiite being spouted is ridiculous, it become pretty clear on Higuain we had a deal in place then Madrid moved the goalposts and Arsenal done the rright thing and said fcuk you, and moved attention to Suarez that may or may yet pan out we don't know.

Proven managers what honours or clubs has Pellegrini led clubs to be exact? You have no idea if both teams will hit the ground running they may and may not one can only speculate and to say they will with certainty is nonsense. How have Spurs strengthened exactly? Madrid right now are currently chasing there best player and if the loose him they will more than likely be a weaker side.

Will people stop whinging like 5 year old school boys who's mommy just said no you can't have that ice cream now.

Come back and be negative whine bags in September if it's still the same but jesus give it a rest and lets see what the club can and will do before passing judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sanogo looks to be our only signing for the forward line this summer.

TBH Im now not too bothered about signing players for big money, I just want to see the squad improved upon with us having cover for for every position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

FearDark wrote: »
    The worst has to be Higuain going to Napoli for 32 mil. What did we bid in the end, 30 mil?.

30 million euros, our bid was reasonable Real played it well, practically all the cavani money has gone from napoli to Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So far this window has thought me that dealing with both Madrid and Liverpool is a complete circus and that I hope we don't have to do any more dealings with them in the considerable future.

But on to the suarez affair, you can see why this bid has hurt Liverpool fans and why they've posted so much crap about arsenal recently like its not a real bid or it was just to sell season tickets. They like to think that the top 3 is cement and that they're a slight level below that with us, but just like the Rvp bid for us was a realisation that we're no longer a title competing side (although it was six plus years in the making so it was easier to take) this bid is a realisation of how mid table and just how far Liverpool are actually behind arsenal. If the twelve point gap wasn't a good indication all you have to do is look at the players, take for example ramsey, arsenals worst starter, now if you compare him to regular starters for Liverpool he is considerably better than Allen, henderson, downing and marginally better than Lucas. So basically, that's arsenals worst player is better than 40 percent of Liverpools outfield players. Huge difference in squad quality.

But I can't see arsenal going over 40 million for suarez and no doubt pool fans will consider this a mini victory. In my opinion arsenal would be right not to go over 40m, suarez has just had one exceptional season in a top flight league, just one. If this was his second or third season producing that type of form then yes he's worth the 50 million, but right now he's not. And not to mention the 'Luis suarez' factor too, this is a guy that's infamous for cheating, diving, stamping, hair pulling as well a biting and racial abuse, things that pool fans wrongly play of as a 'will to win', biting stamping etc isn't winning a game at any cost just like stamping and eye gauging isn't a will to win in rugby, its just tugish behaviour, plain and simple and I as a fan would not like to see a player playing for my team do these type of things.

Of course id like to have of a guy of his talent but do I want suarez, the simple answer Is not really especially for 40 plus million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Regarding the Suarez transfer, I know ye guys would love it done but christ the lad cant play for 6 games in the league and I cant see ye needing to rely on him to get into the group stages of champions league.
    So you can understand Wenger not trying to rush transfer through,
    Personally I see ye getting him on transfer deadline day for 50million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

astonaidan wrote: »
    Regarding the Suarez transfer, I know ye guys would love it done but christ the lad cant play for 6 games in the league and I cant see ye needing to rely on him to get into the group stages of champions league.
    So you can understand Wenger not trying to rush transfer through,
    Personally I see ye getting him on transfer deadline day for 50million

If suarez is the only player we sign I'd consider this transfer Window a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Jesus this thread is becoming unbearable the amount of shiite being spouted is ridiculous, it become pretty clear on Higuain we had a deal in place then Madrid moved the goalposts and Arsenal done the rright thing and said fcuk you, and moved attention to Suarez that may or may yet pan out we don't know.

Proven managers what honours or clubs has Pellegrini led clubs to be exact? You have no idea if both teams will hit the ground running they may and may not one can only speculate and to say they will with certainty is nonsense. How have Spurs strengthened exactly? Madrid right now are currently chasing there best player and if the loose him they will more than likely be a weaker side.

Will people stop whinging like 5 year old school boys who's mommy just said no you can't have that ice cream now.

Come back and be negative whine bags in September if it's still the same but jesus give it a rest and lets see what the club can and will do before passing judgement.

Finally someone talking sense. Sick of reading the same repetitive drivel in here every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

28th August 2011:
    "No truth in the links with Arteta"

July 2012:
    Santi Cazorla? I don't know that guy!
    Anyone can pull fake quotes out of their arse fuzzy to make a point.:D
    Even if those aren't true (and I'm not sure cos i can't find clear cut sources for them, just took them from a blog post). The point still remains that Wenger always talks complete shite in his press conferences about potential signings, there's no point taking him seriously.

The Carzorla quote is true, possibly not word for word but he did pretty much say it

however the context (not sure if this is the right word) of the comment isn't there at all,
    he was asked about him
    smiled, answered smiling and laughed at the end
    journos laughed & that was that, no follow up i don't think
    that's roughly what happened with it, i watched the press conf. he was asked in.

if you seen it you knew rightly there was interest in him, he did everything but say but from the way he was answering and laughing/smiling you knew it was true, even if he did deny it in words

read that in a paper/wherever though and you've no idea of any of that, you just think he's deny it/saying there's no interest

he might talk a lot of shít & deny stuff when it's in print form but you've to see the video to know properly what way he answered it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

On average I see about three new pages (40 per page) in this thread a day. I used to be hopeful that it was a good sign, but I've now realised it is only the doomsday talk once again. We're going to get relegated while spurs are signing Messi level players and will win the league with 114 points.

Thinking of giving this thread a miss for a few weeks and hopefully all the crybabies will be done by then.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    On average I see about three new pages (40 per page) in this thread a day. I used to be hopeful that it was a good sign, but I've now realised it is only the doomsday talk once again. We're going to get relegated while spurs are signing Messi level players and will win the league with 114 points.

Thinking of giving this thread a miss for a few weeks and hopefully all the crybabies will be done by then.
    I think you replied in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So far this window has thought me that dealing with both Madrid and Liverpool is a complete circus and that I hope we don't have to do any more dealings with them in the considerable future.

But on to the suarez affair, you can see why this bid has hurt Liverpool fans and why they've posted so much crap about arsenal recently like its not a real bid or it was just to sell season tickets. They like to think that the top 3 is cement and that they're a slight level below that with us, but just like the Rvp bid for us was a realisation that we're no longer a title competing side (although it was six plus years in the making so it was easier to take) this bid is a realisation of how mid table and just how far Liverpool are actually behind arsenal. If the twelve point gap wasn't a good indication all you have to do is look at the players, take for example ramsey, arsenals worst starter, now if you compare him to regular starters for Liverpool he is considerably better than Allen, henderson, downing and marginally better than Lucas. So basically, that's arsenals worst player is better than 40 percent of Liverpools outfield players. Huge difference in squad quality.

But I can't see arsenal going over 40 million for suarez and no doubt pool fans will consider this a mini victory. In my opinion arsenal would be right not to go over 40m, suarez has just had one exceptional season in a top flight league, just one. If this was his second or third season producing that type of form then yes he's worth the 50 million, but right now he's not. And not to mention the 'Luis suarez' factor too, this is a guy that's infamous for cheating, diving, stamping, hair pulling as well a biting and racial abuse, things that pool fans wrongly play of as a 'will to win', biting stamping etc isn't winning a game at any cost just like stamping and eye gauging isn't a will to win in rugby, its just tugish behaviour, plain and simple and I as a fan would not like to see a player playing for my team do these type of things.

Of course id like to have of a guy of his talent but do I want suarez, the simple answer Is not really especially for 40 plus million.

Christ!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think you replied in the wrong thread.

Yeah, he's totally off the mark.

This one has at least 8-10 new pages of whinging per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

But in fairness, if the club come out and spout BS about them having loads of money and finally being in a position to back it up, you'd expect there to be some evidence of that by now. Instead we have the same intransigence. Yes they might pull something out of the bag, but the signings we need at CB, CM and CF wont all be completed by the start of the season, and I dont think saying that makes anyone a crybaby.

We're all fans and we all want to see the club do well. Nobody would disagree with that. I just want the club to back up what they said in May. They havent. Does anyone want to see us scrapping around on deadline day when we've had the whole summer to do business? Of course not. Bottom line is the teams around us have all strengthened (apart from United, who won the league in second gear) and we have let 20+ players go. Yes, we will probably do business. But there's still a sense of an opportunnity missed about this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

He's a bit all over the place on the Rooney theory though. He mentions that he friends with Walcott etc. but it's been fairly widely reported that he is as close to John Terry and Ashely Cole as anyone else. Now I don't know any of those players personally obviously, but to me Theo would be as far away personality wise from the other two as possible!!

Still think Rooney will end up at Chelsea. Another team will likely have to fork out £30m + for him so for the extra £10+ you would get the player with more scope to improve ye in Suarez. Anyway, I think Wenger has set his sights on the Uruguayan and him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Ok...so things have turned a litte sour with the Suarez deal so who else should we be looking at?

Rooney...IF he leaves Utd the only place I can see him going is Chelsea, I can't see him going abroad. I'd say if we just left him up front...no worrying about coming in MF to collect the ball that he could get 25 league goals this year. Fergie had him all over the place last year to accomodate RVP (boo...hiss...burn him........witch!).

Remy...I'm not too sure if the outcome of his alleged rape case is yet known but he is already living and settled in London had a good first season and is now down in the Championship plus we were linked with him in the past. Could be got cheap enough I'd say.

Michu...we would probably have to pay over the odds for a player that Swansea bought for 3m but he has played in the Prem and done well. A new "Fox in the box" a la Jeffers perhaps.

Just some other options from the English Leagues that we could be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

keano_afc wrote: »
    But in fairness, if the club come out and spout BS about them having loads of money and finally being in a position to back it up, you'd expect there to be some evidence of that by now. Instead we have the same intransigence. Yes they might pull something out of the bag, but the signings we need at CB, CM and CF wont all be completed by the start of the season, and I dont think saying that makes anyone a crybaby.

I'm thinking more and more that we might have the money but Gazidis is hopless when it comes to transfers and getting the deal done. He seems to be good at the financial\commercial side but transfers have dragged out over the past few years. I know i'm always banging on about it but bring back dein or bring in a director of footy for transfer dealings at least. someone who has a background in football and has the contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'd defo support Dein as a Director of Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'd defo support Dein as a Director of Football.

As long as he keeps his son away from our players and the emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

j14 wrote: »

Michu...we would probably have to pay over the odds for a player that Swansea bought for 3m but he has played in the Prem and done well. A new "Fox in the box" a la Jeffers perhaps.

*Shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

cson wrote: »
    *Shudder*

Ha I had a feeling this statement would get that type of response but I think Michu would be a solid striker but probably not the mega money / statement making deal that everyone wants.

Although I dont think I could ever see Michu ending up at Accrington Stanley like poor ol' Frannie Jeffers...where did it go wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think the shudder was in reference to Jeffers and not Michu.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement