Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Isco signed for less than 26mil, I was shocked we didn't even sniff around him.

Wasn't exactly gonna go to Arsenal over Real Madrid was he?

AdamD wrote: »
    Wasn't exactly gonna go to Arsenal over Real Madrid was he?

We would never know without some interest would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Are these rumours that Suarez is staying because there was no clause true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The point is that we should only be interested in good players to replace the dead wood, as you say, and there hasn't exactly been a load of transfers involving players of the quality we should be looking at, which makes your comment about all these other transfers moot. Deals involving worse players are easier to get done and we shouldn't care that Crystal Palace signed Kevin Phillips on a free.

That's not the point at all.
    The poster said that there was very little business being done.
    I posted the link to prove that there was a lot of business being done by clubs.
    I agree that we need good players and have stated as such in other posts.

Seems like it that arsenal thought all they had to do was add a pound over the clause fee and get him, so as he won't leave for 40mil and £1, arsenal have moved on.
    I'm sure Suarez thought if Arsenal really want me, they will bid more, but haven't so he's kept his mouth shut and got on with it.

• Advertisement

No-one knows. Latest thing doing the rounds is that it's a clause saying that if Liverpool weren't in the CL then there was a release fee for clubs in the CL and Liverpool are saying Arsenal aren't technically in the CL yet.

There's an awful lot of waffle going on about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No-one knows. Latest thing doing the rounds is that it's a clause saying that if Liverpool weren't in the CL then there was a release fee for clubs in the CL and Liverpool are saying Arsenal aren't technically in the CL yet.

There's an awful lot of waffle going on about it.

On the tiny tiny tiny chance that's true it's actually good for us. If we get through our qualifier and Madrid stay away then they have to accept our 40m+1 bid. Oh how I would laugh if that happened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Mickeroo wrote: »
    On the tiny tiny tiny chance that's true it's actually good for us. If we get through our qualifier and Madrid stay away then they have to accept our 40m+1 bid. Oh how I would laugh if that happened.

Haven't Liverpool come out and said that clause doesn't exist

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hyzepher wrote: »

Probably, but there did seem to be some sort of grey area from what the papers et al. were saying. The stuff about us having to be in the CL to trigger it only came out in the last 12 hours though afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm pretty sure nobody knows what the clause actually is. The key part is Suarez hasn't asked the PL to arbitrate so Liverpool are in charge completely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Madrid won't be in for him.

They never said anything publicly apart from that they're not interested and generally Madrid don't have a problem saying things publicly.

Plus Bale is going there. It'll drag on for a week or two but it's going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't pin your hopes to anything like that. Either we bid £50m or we walk away. I think we've already walked.

Are you saying that we found an escape clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Are you saying that we found an escape clause?

I deleted that post because I replied to the wrong person. I just mean that Liverpool won't look at a sub-£50m bid, so either we meet their valuation or go looking through the summer transfer window striker left-overs.

gosplan wrote: »
    Madrid won't be in for him.

They never said anything publicly apart from that they're not interested and generally Madrid don't have a problem saying things publicly.

Plus Bale is going there. It'll drag on for a week or two but it's going to happen.

Yeah he'll sign for them alright. Same **** every year. Big long saga that always ends with the same conclusion.

Hopefully that applies to us and Suarez too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hyzepher wrote: »

I don't think they have at all said that. Which would make you wonder.

Supposed quote from the president of Bernard's club:
    "Tottenham made an offer of €18M for Bernard but they withdrew. Arsenal told they'd bid but never did so."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Supposed quote from the president of Bernard's club:

Hilarious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

regardless of what goes on behind closed doors at Arsenal, you'd have to think that a complete re-think of their transfer policy is in order. Success seems to come to those clubs who just pick a player of interest and buy - without all this tit-for-tat crap. just make an offer and maybe a counter-offer and either buy or move on - but at least let us know whats going on, even after the fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Bernard is going to run amuck at Shakhtar and he will be sold at double what they bought him for and we will be wondering why we didn't go in for him, a bit like Yaya Toure, Mata, Vertonghen etc :rolleyes:

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd be happier with Ramsey instead of McCarrthy in the team tbh.

Ramsey is a poor mans Flamini, he is honestly the most over rated player amongst our fans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How much is qualifying for the CL worth these days, 40 million? We only scrapped in the last 2 seasons and with the way things are going we may not be third time lucky.

We can't afford to lose CL, both financially or from a marketability point of view for both new players and sponsorship. We would be foolish to risk a repeat of the last 2 seasons. That 40 million (or whatever it is) that we might lose by not qualifying for next seasons CL should be invested in someone this Summer to guarantee qualification and give the team a decent chance at some silverware.

I don't like Suarez as a person but as a footballer he could be the difference and there are not too many other players on the market right now that can make that difference. It might actually make financial sense just to overspend on him.

Harrowing stuff, look at Holtby going to spurs for just 1.8 million :eek: Spurs now remind me of us when David Dein was at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Harrowing stuff, look at Holtby going to spurs for just 1.8 million :eek: Spurs now remind me of us when David Dein was at the club.

Have you seen the guy play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Ramsey is a poor mans Flamini, he is honestly the most over rated player amongst our fans!

I'm expecting big things from him this season, he looks far more assured on the ball now. I think your opinion could be proved wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rambo is the nutz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I thought he was average enough, glad we passed on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He's still better than James McCarthy imo

AdamD wrote: »
    Have you seen the guy play?

I have indeed, he looked very impressive in the Europa League whenever I saw him, didn't see much of him in the league. A 21 year old German international for 1.8 million you have to say is an absolute steal and you have to wonder why we weren't in for him at that price.

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's still better than James McCarthy imo

I think McCarthy has more of an influence on a game and would be much less wasteful in possession than Ramsey, who at times last season had me literally tearing my hair out.

• Advertisement

Just listening to Brendan rodgers saying how Liverpool people stood by Suarez through the racist and biting incident and how they owe him.

Is that a bad reflection on Liverpool people that they are seen to stand by racists and someone who bites people!!?

I can't get my head around what he meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bernard is going to run amuck at Shakhtar and he will be sold at double what they bought him for and we will be wondering why we didn't go in for him, a bit like Yaya Toure, Mata, Vertonghen etc :rolleyes:

This is what I'm talking about.

A 5 ft 4 20 year old with barely any experience goes to Shaktar.

None of Europes big clubs felt he was worth spending the money on despite him being offered around for a couple of weeks.

This is immediately seen as a massive failure on Arsenal's part, akin to some of the worse transfer errors Wenger's made.

I mean do we really need this?

This isn't a direct go at you gringo. It's just a type of post I was commenting on earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't think they have at all said that. Which would make you wonder.

they said it on their tour definitely, that they just had to inform him of the bid

which make you wonder what is/was the point of it?
    fúck up by suarezs' people when negotiating the contract/clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The market is absolutely mental at the moment I'm not surprised we haven't brought any one in.

Wait till it calms down, we've bid for jotivic bender and a forward, so far we haven't got any but they're positions we need filling and the club has identified that.

Just listening to Brendan rodgers saying how Liverpool people stood by Suarez through the racist and biting incident and how they owe him.

Is that a bad reflection on Liverpool people that they are seen to stand by racists and someone who bites people!!?

I can't get my head around what he meant?

we were loyal to you, now we expect you to be loyal to us

& making sure he doesn't forget that they did stand by him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Argue all ye like about transfers

Leave Ramsey's good name out of it

Good men :)

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    they said it on their tour definitely, that they just had to inform him of the bid

which make you wonder what is/was the point of it?
    fúck up by suarezs' people when negotiating the contract/clause?

It could be another bluff by rodgers, the guy comes across like a used car sales man, He'll try any ole trick in the book when it comes to transfers.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It could be another bluff by rodgers, the guy comes across like a used car sales man, He'll try any ole trick in the book when it comes to transfers.

i suppose it could be & he does have a good excuse if he was lying - nobody seems clear on it - but i dont think so, if it were would suarez not have met with arsenal like he's rumoured to want by this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

we were loyal to you, now we expect you to be loyal to us

& making sure he doesn't forget that they did stand by him

Even though he was found to be racist and biting someone?

Even though he was found to be racist and biting someone?

That's what he was talking about though, that they stayed loyal to him despite his awful attitude to playing the game within the rules.
    If he had not done those things, then they would be standing by him without question as he is of the highest quality and scored a **** load of goals.

• Advertisement

That's what he was talking about though, that they stayed loyal to him despite his awful attitude to playing the game within the rules.
    If he had not done those things, then they would be standing by him without question as he is of the highest quality and scored a **** load of goals.

I see, not sure I could do the same.

I see, not sure I could do the same.

Nor could I see Wenger or Arsenal doing the same.
    I think Liverpool have different priorities than us though.;)

i suppose it could be & he does have a good excuse if he was lying - nobody seems clear on it - but i dont think so, if it were would suarez not have met with arsenal like he's rumoured to want by this stage

I reckon the 40 plus 1 bid was giving to arsenal by someone close to suarez, id be surprised if chats didn't already happen, also I doubt an agent would be so clueless about the contract.

All this leaked information looks like desperation from Liverpool to sell to Madrid, though I wouldn't be surprised if its coming from the suarez camp too.

Though I'm just speculating and am probably wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ramsey is better than Wilshere at this point in time and I'll be a bit surprised if he doesn't start the season in the first XI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ramsey's very versatile, and he came on from some poor performances to some really good ones. The sign of a fighter, fair play to him. He's got my confidence anyhow.

which is nice for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Ramsey is better than Wilshere at this point in time and I'll be a bit surprised if he doesn't start the season in the first XI.

If Ramsey is the answer, then god help us all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

wawaman wrote: »
    If Ramsey is the answer, then god help us all

seriously?
    I said to one of my friends that Ramsey was the worst player in the top 4 early in the season but Ramsey went and changed my mind. He's not the "answer" but he's a good player, with the potential to be much better, and the attitude to live up to his potential.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Depends on what the question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

bad2dabone wrote: »
    seriously?
    I said to one of my friends that Ramsey was the worst player in the top 4 early in the season but Ramsey went and changed my mind. He's not the "answer" but he's a good player, with the potential to be much better, and the attitude to live up to his potential.

I cant fault his attitude but the amount of times he gives the ball away and then all these flicks and turns he does :mad:

The last arsenal player i felt this way about was Tiger Eboue. And that didnt end well !!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement