Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I can't disagree that when he plays a simple game he's more effective :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I reckon the 40 plus 1 bid was giving to arsenal by someone close to suarez, id be surprised if chats didn't already happen, also I doubt an agent would be so clueless about the contract.

All this leaked information looks like desperation from Liverpool to sell to Madrid, though I wouldn't be surprised if its coming from the suarez camp too.

Though I'm just speculating and am probably wrong.

yeah it had to be or else they had someone googling for the stories of saurez signing a new contract and got it from there :pac:
    i'd say they have too, they were supposed to have been 'encouraged' by his people to make the bid as well, on the clause you'd think that but who knows

i'm not sure about the releasing it to get madrid involved, do they really want to sell him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ramsey is better than Wilshere at this point in time and I'll be a bit surprised if he doesn't start the season in the first XI.

Ramsey was in great form at the end of the season but I'm not having that at all. Hes not a patch on Wilshere, who played superb when he got a run of injury free games around November-January. Hes on another level to Ramsey and if he stays injury free, with a full pre-season behind him I'd back him to be our player of the year, even if we signed a Suarez.

His ability to pick the ball up in midfield and ghost past a couple of players is unparalleled in the PL, Dembele probably comes closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    How reliable is it usually?

I follow the source on twitter @germangunners and he's very quick to knock back any dodgy rumour from Germany so reasonably reliable

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

AdamD wrote: »
    Ramsey was in great form at the end of the season but I'm not having that at all. Hes not a patch on Wilshere, who played superb when he got a run of injury free games around November-January. Hes on another level to Ramsey and if he stays injury free, with a full pre-season behind him I'd back him to be our player of the year, even if we signed a Suarez.

His ability to pick the ball up in midfield and ghost past a couple of players is unparalleled in the PL, Dembele probably comes closest.
    Wilshere was horrible last season.

Ramsey was as good as Wilshere before his injury. When he came back he was horrible too, but people overlooked it (for a while) because a) he was coming back from injury and b) his past reputation. Wilshere is in the same place now; his performances last season in no way warrant a place in the team over Arteta or Ramsey. Hopefully he can progress back to his best a lot quicker than Ramsey but talk of levels of meaningless for me; right now, Ramsey is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

greendom wrote: »
    I follow the source on twitter @germangunners and he's very quick to knock back any dodgy rumour from Germany so reasonably reliable

OK so that would be my upcoming defender to provide back-up and eventual replacement to Per.

Suarez will be my top level striker.

Now for the beast of a midfielder!!

Wilshere was horrible last season.

Ramsey was as good as Wilshere before his injury. When he came back he was horrible too, but people overlooked it (for a while) because a) he was coming back from injury and b) his past reputation. Wilshere is in the same place now; his performances last season in no way warrant a place in the team over Arteta or Ramsey. Hopefully he can progress back to his best a lot quicker than Ramsey but talk of levels of meaningless for me; right now, Ramsey is better.

This must be a piss take? He had about 2 poor games out of 20? Most of the time he played he was our best player. The only time he looked poor was when he came back from the 2nd injury and played 2 games (one against everton possibly? Didnt look great but turned out he was still injured and he didn't play again for the rest of the season). If Wilsheres fit Ramsey shouldn't and won't get a look in if theyre competing for the same spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah it had to be or else they had someone googling for the stories of saurez signing a new contract and got it from there :pac:
    i'd say they have too, they were supposed to have been 'encouraged' by his people to make the bid as well, on the clause you'd think that but who knows

i'm not sure about the releasing it to get madrid involved, do they really want to sell him?

Excellent point about not wanting to sell him.

Take him out of the team and they're a lame duck attacking wise. Sturidge will get 15 goals but he's a bit injury prone, coutinho as good as he looks has only really had 4 good games for Liverpool against relegation fodder/candidates or lower half teams already safe, he did continue his form pre season against Indonesias and Thailands finests, I wouldn't be as quick as some to label him a different class.

So lose suarez and they're really in a hole.

This must be a piss take? He had about 2 poor games out of 20? Most of the time he played he was our best player. The only time he looked poor was when he came back from the 2nd injury and played 2 games (one against everton possibly? Didnt look great but turned out he was still injured and he didn't play again for the rest of the season). If Wilsheres fit Ramsey shouldn't and won't get a look in if theyre competing for the same spot.
    Er... it isn't.

It's not exactly an uncommon opinion. He was rarely our best player; he played 33 games and as far as I can see never got close to anyone's consideration for player of the year, which considering it was his return to the team and he basically farts gold in the eyes of Arsenal fans, suggests how below par he was. He also wasn't injured at the end of the season - he was on the bench for the last five games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Can't believe there are some in here that think Ramsey is a better player than Wilshere. Are people forgetting how long Wilshere was out for? Form is temporary and all that jazz.

Nobody in the top 4 or the teams chasing it like Spurs, Everton, Liverpool would come anywhere near Ramsey if he was available but they would be all over Wilshere like a fly on sh*t.

Er... it isn't.

It's not exactly an uncommon opinion. He was rarely our best player; he played 33 games and as far as I can see never got close to anyone's consideration for player of the year, which considering it was his return to the team and he basically farts gold in the eyes of Arsenal fans, suggests how below par he was. He also wasn't injured at the end of the season - he was on the bench for the last five games.

Waiting to get screws taken out of his angle and Wenger clearly said they'd only use him in an emergency..

We can agree to disagree but I think you saying he was 'horrible' is absolutely bat****.

Yeah, it's an exaggeration (in the same way that saying any premiership footballer is ****; none of them are, but it's all relative), but no more so than saying he was our best player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Kirby wrote: »
    Can't believe there are some in here that think Ramsey is a better player than Wilshere. Are people forgetting how long Wilshere was out for? Form is temporary and all that jazz.
    When he came back he was horrible too, but people overlooked it (for a while) because a) he was coming back from injury and b) his past reputation. Wilshere is in the same place now; his performances last season in no way warrant a place in the team over Arteta or Ramsey. Hopefully he can progress back to his best a lot quicker than Ramsey but talk of levels of meaningless for me; right now, Ramsey is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Kirby wrote: »
    Can't believe there are some in here that think Ramsey is a better player than Wilshere. [B]Are people forgetting how long Wilshere was out for? [/B] Form is temporary and all that jazz.

Nobody in the top 4 or the teams chasing it like Spurs, Everton, Liverpool would come anywhere near Ramsey if he was available but they would be all over Wilshere like a fly on sh*t.

No but I think people forget how long Ramsey was out for and how good he was before the injury. I may be alone in thinking that Ramsey was a better player before the injury than Wilshere is now. That's why Wenger has persisted with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ramsey has had years to recover. Wilshere hasn't. If he has a poor season this time around then it would be fair to criticise. But that's conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

No but I think people forget how long Ramsey was out for and how good he was before the injury. I may be alone in thinking that Ramsey was a better player before the injury than Wilshere is now. That's why Wenger has persisted with him.

I think Arsenal fans over play how good Ramsey was before the injury, he did well and showed promise but was far from the level people recall him playing at.

Wilshire has always shown the more potential for me. Ramsey showed a lot the second half of last year this is his make or break year.

What's the injury list like at the moment anyway? There's a couple of names I could swear got injured but I'm afraid to mention them in case it triggers something. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What's the injury list like at the moment anyway? There's a couple of names I could swear got injured but I'm afraid to mention them in case it triggers something. :pac:

Diaby's injured. :)

Verminator.

Monreal.

apart from that the first team squad is injury free.

Goalkeepers
    1. Szczensy
    21. Fabianski
    36. Martinez

Right Backs
    3. Sagna
    25. Jenkinson

Centre Backs
    4. Mertesacker
    5. Vermaelen
    6. Koscielny
    54. Miquel

Left Backs
    17. Monreal
    28. Gibbs

Midfielders
    7. Rosicky
    8. Arteta
    10. Wilshere
    16. Ramsey
    19. Cazorla
    24. Diaby

Wide Forwards
    9. Podolski
    14. Walcott
    15. Chamberlain
    31. Ryo

Centre Forwards
    12. Giroud
    22. Sanogo

(stolen from arsenal mania)

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think Arsenal fans over play how good Ramsey was before the injury, he did well and showed promise but was far from the level people recall him playing at.

Wilshire has always shown the more potential for me. Ramsey showed a lot the second half of last year this is his make or break year.
    Well, better hope that Wilshere's form recovers quickly otherwise not only will his performances start to be noticed, it'll then be claimed that he was never all that good to begin with.

It's a well worn pattern.

• Advertisement

Well, better hope that Wilshere's form recovers quickly otherwise not only will his performances start to be noticed, it'll then be claimed that he was never all that good to begin with.

It's a well worn pattern.

Nah jacks potential is far better than ramseys ever was, clear to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ramsey is better than Wilshere at this point in time and I'll be a bit surprised if he doesn't start the season in the first XI.

HOLY JAYSUS :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Totally agree about Ramsey vs Wilshere. People give jack a little bit too much credit, and Ramsey too little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    HOLY JAYSUS :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

He's right though. Ramsey finished the season starting, Wilshere on the bench. Because Ramsey was playing better. How they'll both start the season is a different matter, but the last time we saw the two Ramsey was in much better form. Nobody's saying he's the better player.

He's right though. Ramsey finished the season starting, Wilshere on the bench. Because Ramsey was playing better. How they'll both start the season is a different matter, but the last time we saw the two Ramsey was in much better form. Nobody's saying he's the better player.

Are you missing the part where Wilshere was due a surgery and they didn't want to use him if at all possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

pretty sure wilshere was benched because of injury concerns and not because "ramsey was playing better". i remember wenger saying it would be a big risk to play him but he was available if really needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are you missing the part where Wilshere was due a surgery and they didn't want to use him if at all possible?

Doesn't really change anything regarding what I said. Wilshere did have a few games, and didn't look up to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Don't get me wrong Ramsey is a decent enough squad player in the same mould Stephen Hughes, Grimandi, Flamini etc (Edu would be much better then all of them) but not a chance is he even in the same league as Wilshere!!

Looking our our wide options they are very poor.

darego wrote: »
    pretty sure wilshere was benched because of injury concerns and not because "ramsey was playing better". i remember wenger saying it would be a big risk to play him but he was available if really needed
    Ramsey certainly never really came into it; himself and Arteta were Wenger's midfield pairing of choice in the run in and were always there. Wilshere returned from injury and went straight into the team, with Rosicky unavailable for that game. He kept his place for the next game with Rosicky on the bench, then dropped him for Rosicky for the rest of the season. So maybe we should be discussing whether to start Rosicky or Wilshere on August 17... :p
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong Ramsey is a decent enough squad player in the same mould Stephen Hughes, Grimandi, Flamini etc (Edu would be much better then all of them) but not a chance is he even in the same league as Wilshere!!
    Edu was still playing in the Brazilian league at this stage in his career. Ramsey has miles more talent than the rest of that lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

A little depressing been a Arsenal last few years. Another summer of our Manager and Boards recycling the same old rubbish.

anyway seen as it's my first post. do you think we should try and nick Roberto Soldado from under the Spud's noses? 26 million doesn't seem bad for a Spain international.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ramsey and jack are playing different positions

Ramsey in the pivot and jack in the 10

When jack moved back to the pivot Ramsey moved back to artetas position

Make no mistake both these boys are good and both will make part of our midfield for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Nuri Sahin (the boards one :pac: ) on Matthias Ginter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85776847&postcount=3896

Looper007 wrote: »
    A little depressing been a Arsenal last few years. Another summer of our Manager and Boards recycling the same old rubbish.

anyway seen as it's my first post. do you think we should try and nick Roberto Soldado from under the Spud's noses? 26 million doesn't seem bad for a Spain international.

Nah.

Better spending the money on some one with a little versatility rather than straight competition for Giroud.

Also he's 28 and has generally spent his career just below the level we want our players to be at. Didn't make it at Madrid, Villa's replacement at Valencia, didn't play for Spain when Torres, Villa or Llorente were about etc.

2 clarifications cause I feel some stick coming down the line:

I don't think we're better than Soldado, I just don't think it would really improve or change anything and it's not worth 26 million.

If this was a DMF or CB, I'd be saying yes. However we have Giroud with Pod as backup so another CF at about that level who's not going to develop into anything more won't achieve a whole lot.

That's not to say he won't make Spurs a lot better. Defoe and Adebayor were such a weak link for them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Dont remember arsenal ever going for world class players for 40m+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Be pretty meaningless if we don't follow through on that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bet he didn't even pay for a go on the slide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Let the Suarez to Chelsea rumours begin!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfer-rumour-mill-5387682

FFS, can we just make another bid?

• Advertisement

Dont remember arsenal ever going for world class players for 40m+?

We will never get him. You think Liverpool would sell their best player to us unlike us they don't wimp out and sell their best players off to fellow English clubs.

We will never get him. You think Liverpool would sell their best player to us unlike us they don't wimp out and sell their best players off to fellow English clubs.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5kuzs0QuTEHT-Osn67Ic4EefEvKwN9cUb0FNhE9Xk8-NTF-Ly

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-transfer-rumour-mill-5387682

Nah Wenger is counting those pennies. Chelsea will get him if they bid, they are a club of ambition and they have a record of winning things every year plus atop notch coach. We are most small minded big club walking the earth, total lack of ambition from our manager and board. Not one penny spent and many potential signings slipped through our fingers cause we won't pay over 20 million on players.

He was going down the jacks even before he left Liverpool though. so nah.

BACK OF THE NET!!!

Major difference is that RVP was in the last year of his contract and he wasn't prepared to sign another. It hurt like hell but 26 Million was fair and the money was spent wisely ;)

• Advertisement

I find it really hard to believe that the rumour mill from the Liverpool echo have been briefed on Chelsea's plans in the case that they don't sign Rooney?

This is a made up story designed to get posted around forums like this to engineer clicks for the rag. It shouldn't be given credit.

If there is any football source for something like this, it'd be Liverpool themselves trying to push the price up and speed up the move ... But I doubt it.

No one but us is in for Suarez.

Italy can't afford him, Spain don't want him and no-one in England particularly likes or needs him ... Except us who are mad for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

gosplan wrote: »
    I find it really hard to believe that the rumour mill from the Liverpool echo have been briefed on Chelsea's plans in the case that they don't sign Rooney?

This is a made up story designed to get posted around forums like this to engineer clicks for the rag. It shouldn't be given credit.

If there is any football source for something like this, it'd be Liverpool themselves trying to push the price up and speed up the move ... But I doubt it.

No one but us is in for Suarez.

Italy can't afford him, Spain don't want him and no-one in England particularly likes or needs him ... Except us who are mad for it.
    As a Villa fan, Ill like him if he moves to Arsenal, I just have a hatred for Liverpool since Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would still rate Torres highly. Great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The season hasnt started yet and most will agree that this is the month that will determine what kind of season lies ahead. Will we get a Brewsters Millions type splurge or the same oul same oul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I would still rate Torres highly. Great player.

Me too. If we could get him for <20million id jump at the chance

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement