Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

As opposed to us, who can attract them but will never pay their club's valuation?

We got Santi last year. I think we'll pay what is needed this year. 40 million was not a bad bid for Suarez. If it was Chlesea/Spurs/UTD bidding that much you'd be saying fair play to them. They are trying to buy Suarez
    Giroud didn't cost 4m. Soldado is twice his price and got double the amount of league goals Giroud got last year. And why should fans just accept that Spurs now have a better striker than us, without CL and probably with half the initial summer budget that we have.

I dont get what you mean by the 4million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Trying to compare Giroud to Soldado is silly.

Soldado has never played a single game in the Premier League (praying that he didn't have a fling with Everton 10 years ago).

Meanwhile in Giroud's first season, he gave a very sound goals and assists return. Soldado will be doing very well if he can match that in his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Trying to compare Giroud to Soldado is silly.

Soldado has never played a single game in the Premier League (praying that he didn't have a fling with Everton 10 years ago).

Meanwhile in Giroud's first season, he gave a very sound goals and assists return. Soldado will be doing very well if he can match that in his first season.

Giroud is good solid player but he's not a striker who score you 35 a season. That's what we need, the guy who takes that one chance at Old Trafford and knocks three past a Cardiff or Hull. It takes Giroud three to four chances before he scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    Giroud is good solid player but he's not a striker who score you 35 a season. That's what we need, the guy who takes that one chance at Old Trafford and knocks three past a Cardiff or Hull. It takes Giroud three to four chances before he scores.

Giroud has shown enough to suggest he could become a 25+ goals a season man. If he is the main man this year I think he will deliver. But that will mean playing to his quality and bringing in the players in other areas.

Without a doubt though another top class striker is required

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I thought we would go for Higuan but I did say that it's all about balance in the team. What players compliment what we have already ? Not sure that Fellani fits this shape - maybe as a replacement for Arteta and use Arteta more in a forward role - allowing Arsene to use Rosicky/Arteta as replacements for Jack/Ox or Ramsey during games or when we have CL & PL games in quick succession. Is Sanogo the replacement for Gervinho ? I'm not sure that Suarez is what we want either - he's not a prolific goalscorer. I'm thinking we'll be looking at a player who plays between a striker and the midfield who can score and create (Rooney or Fellani ?). TBH I am struggling to think of players who can fit our system without changing the system entirely ...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ugsparky wrote: »
    I thought we would go for Higuan but I did say that it's all about balance in the team. What players compliment what we have already ? Not sure that Fellani fits this shape - maybe as a replacement for Arteta and use Arteta more in a forward role - allowing Arsene to use Rosicky/Arteta as replacements for Jack/Ox or Ramsey during games or when we have CL & PL games in quick succession. Is Sanogo the replacement for Gervinho ? I'm not sure that Suarez is what we want either - he's not a prolific goalscorer. I'm thinking we'll be looking at a player who plays between a striker and the midfield who can score and create (Rooney or Fellani ?). TBH I am struggling to think of players who can fit our system without changing the system entirely ...

What makes you think Suarez isn't a prolific goal scorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

ugsparky wrote: »
    Is Sanogo the replacement for Gervinho ?

Sanogo's more of a Giroud understudy, he's a tall athletic striker with a good burst of pace, a strong header and a good finisher. Reminds me of Benteke. He could be really really good, and for free he was a good signing. I'm hoping Gnabry and the likes replace Gervais.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the news we've been waiting for. Apparently we've delayed the official team photo shoot for a week. 3 new players by next week lads :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Although I'm not losing faith just yet, but if Bale does leave Spurs then this summer will have dealt Arsenal the perfect conditions to push on towards winning something. All the teams above us have changed managers, and if we take Suarez then teams below us will either have changed manager (Everton) or lost a very important player in key positions (Bale/Suarez).

If there was ever a year to spend big then this is it. Conditions like this don't come around often.

I say spend the 45m+ on Suarez and find two more players to fill key positions for 35m+. In the long term it will be far better than spending 50m now and 30m next year

Looper007 wrote: »

I don't agree. All he has proven is that he's not a striker who will score 35 in his first season of English football.

He can only improve on this season and once he improves, he can very easily score a lot for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Real sign Bale then Liverpools last chance of getting Suarez out to a foreign team looks all but gone, theyed be wise to sell up to the highest and probably only bidder in England, you guys.

The longer it goes on the less time a replacement of any calibre can be found for Liverpool.

Amazing, isn't it?

2 scenarios that could very well happen:

Real buy Bale and Arsenal then get Suarez.
    Real don't get Bale so they sign Suarez.

Talk about season changers!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

greendom wrote: »
    The day you have one positive thing to day about Arsenal is the day I may treat your posts seriously. If there's a negative angle you have it covered.

I love the club but I can't stand our lack of ambition and paralysis in the transfer market. I'll be the first to celebrate on here when we start making signings, if or when that happens.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Real sign Bale then Liverpools last chance of getting Suarez out to a foreign team looks all but gone, theyed be wise to sell up to the highest and probably only bidder in England, you guys.

The longer it goes on the less time a replacement of any calibre can be found for Liverpool.

Didn't they reject our offer though? We'd need to make another bid either way. Didn't we make two bids of the same value for Schwarzer a few years ago? If Bale moves then it looks very possible if we want it, although we'll probably need £50m, hopefully with that including add-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We're after missing out on signing that lad from One Direction ffs :mad:

We have to stick to our wages structure. If we go splashing out 250k on him, there will be unrest among our other players.

Obviously readying a massive bid for Harry, then...

Wenger's Google Hangout is starting shortly at this link:

https://plus.google.com/events/cdlgcu0rfr9mt5f0gq3q6vcqtkc?partnerid=gplp0

jonny666 wrote: »
    Back to Arsenal and some people on here need to really chill out. OK its not ideal to be getting players in late(its not even that late) but im confident we will get the players we need.

Players we need for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wenger's Google Hangout is starting shortly at this link:

https://plus.google.com/events/cdlgcu0rfr9mt5f0gq3q6vcqtkc?partnerid=gplp0

It's saying 3 hours in the link on my phone, but I'm abroad so that might have something to do with it. How soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

L'prof wrote: »
    It's saying 3 hours in the link on my phone, but I'm abroad so that might have something to do with it. How soon?

It's on now.

Here's the direct link I think
    https://plus.google.com/102474946855971646805/posts/Me2r4ZaxqB2

Try this link, it's just begun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cyVJeZrHOU&sns=tw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think Wenger just shows too much faith and loyalty in his players, some who just aren't good enough for our club.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Although I'm not losing faith just yet, but if Bale does leave Spurs then this summer will have dealt Arsenal the perfect conditions to push on towards winning something. All the teams above us have changed managers, and if we take Suarez then teams below us will either have changed manager (Everton) or lost a very important player in key positions (Bale/Suarez).

If there was ever a year to spend big then this is it. Conditions like this don't come around often.

I say spend the 45m+ on Suarez and find two more players to fill key positions for 35m+. In the long term it will be far better than spending 50m now and 30m next year

Spurs arent a target, sure we have finished a head of them for x amount of years, losing Bale will just push them further beind. It shouldnt be a trigger for us to drive a push on.

Want to challenge for the title and compete with the top 3 is where we should be driving and reacting to not capitalising on a side that hasnt made CL for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Just caught the last question I'm guessing nothing was said about transfers?

Players we need for what?

To improve the first team.

Bah, unavailable on mobile. If there's a link with some quotes later on can somebody post it here. I'd be very grateful. Doubt there's much to be said though :-/

Even as an Arsenal supporter that Hangout was boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Must be a setup, not a single question about transfers or the upcoming season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Did anyone really think it would be any different? Same as the annual Q&A, questions are screened before hand so no naughty fans ask any real questions. FFS someone asked him in the hangout who he thought the biggest threat in the Emirates Cup is !!!?

Ill give you a clue Arsene, he will play in blue, his last name starts with H and ends with N.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

wawaman wrote: »
    Ill give you a clue Arsene, he will play in blue, his last name starts with H and ends with N.

16826_ori_helton.jpg

edit: damn you and your edit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AdamD wrote: »
    DC ‏@DLDN22 25m
    Arsenal have been told to up their bid for Suarez to £50m & Liverpool will sell. Suarez keeping quiet to allow #lfc to negotiate a fee. #afc

One things for sure; if Suarez doesn't happen Dean and Geoff will have lost whatever credibility they had. The clubs backed themselves into a corner where Suarez is seemingly the only target left, will they go up to 50m?

In fairness I don't think it will ruin there credibility they both called the Suarez bids before anyone else got hold of it, in fact geoff said a 40 million bid on Monday the only part he got wrong was the bid was made on a Tuesday.

If Spurs loose Bale regardless of who they sign they will be a weaker side, so far none of the signings they have made make me fearful.

I'm with emerginstar I think we will see signings would it have been better early on obviously yes but once we get the players in that is the main thing now is not the time to be panicking.

There's a lot of new regular posters in here the last few weeks I wonder will they still hang around when the window closes and if we have made new signing or they only in for the ride when they can be negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

If Spurs loose Bale

And that looks more and more like a certainty by the day

I'll lose the plot if we don't sign 3 or 4 players honestly. We are a laughing stock at the minute, what club sells there best players to there nearest rivals and then doesn't replace them and when they do replace them its a year too late so were always trying to play catch up in terms of putting together a squad that has a realistic chance of winning silverware and mounting a title challenge :confused::rolleyes::(

maximoose wrote: »
    And that looks more and more like a certainty by the day

But they will invest the money into there squad and be more of a threat, unlike us who would rather have the £££££ sitting in the bank :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Basically every question on that hangout was what's your favourite holiday destination?/what's your favourite country?/which country has best fans? etc. Mainly travel related stuff!!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    But they will invest the money into there squad and be more of a threat, unlike us who would rather have the £££££ sitting in the bank :rolleyes:

Spurs are more a selling club than us, we had had to do it the passed couple of years but the noises are now that has changed.

Spurs have been a selling club for a lot longer. They have lost Ade and Bale from the first 11 (& Gallas) so they are weakened. Adding in the 3 they have signed the will be weaker than last year I believe.

I will moan about signings if at the end of the window it wasnt done. More than happy to wait a few more weeks if it meant getting a Suarez or two in.

I'd be interested in hearing how some people might have spent our reported £70m.

List out the players who have transferred so far - with the price they went for and an idea how they would fit into the team

I'd be interested in hearing how some people might have spent our reported £70m.

List out the players who have transferred so far - with the price they went for and an idea how they would fit into the team

Don't be ridiculous. We don't need to spend £70m, but we definitely need to spend. We've let go of over 20 players and signed 1. Our squad was weak last season and is even weaker now! Plenty of players that have already moved and that still remain at theirs clubs could contribute to our squad.

Don't be ridiculous. We don't need to spend £70m, but we definitely need to spend. We've let go of over 20 players and signed 1. Our squad was weak last season and is even weaker now! Plenty of players that have already moved and that still remain at theirs clubs could contribute to our squad.

You're right.

My post was only meant as an aside just to see what combination of players we could have gotten for that amount - not that we SHOULD have gotten them or that we should have spent 70m on whoever just for the sake of it.

I meant it as just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

You're right.

My post was only meant as an aside just to see what combination of players we could have gotten for that amount - not that we SHOULD have gotten them or that we should have spent 70m on whoever just for the sake of it.

Ah right, fair enough. Picked up on the tone of your post all wrong so! On my phone right now, so I can't do a list myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What players do we think will be brought up from the reserves this year? Eisfeld, akpom ?
    Is this wenger's plan after dropping a load of the dead wood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You're right.

No you've a good point.

Very few players gone anywhere that we had a realistic chance of getting that would also have improved the first 11

Soups123 wrote: »
    Spurs are more a selling club than us, we had had to do it the passed couple of years but the noises are now that has changed.

Spurs have been a selling club for a lot longer. They have lost Ade and Bale from the first 11 (& Gallas) so they are weakened. Adding in the 3 they have signed the will be weaker than last year I believe.

I will moan about signings if at the end of the window it wasnt done. More than happy to wait a few more weeks if it meant getting a Suarez or two in.

I agree to a point but any player Spurs seem to buy it is to strengthen there team whereas we seem to be buying to replace players who have gone out. This year is our big opportunity to strengthen as it is very unlikely we are losing key players like the past few seasons, I am just annoyed and rightly so that we are leaving it so late in the window. We should of had our targets for the this summer at the turn of last year, so we would have had the benefit of getting the new players in early and a pre season under there belt at the club!!

newbie2 wrote: »
    What players do we think will be brought up from the reserves this year? Eisfeld, akpom ?
    Is this wenger's plan after dropping a load of the dead wood?

Akpom I thought looked like he could step up. Only seen some preseason friendlies tho.

Is there loads of players missing from the academy team on Arsenal.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Linekar on spurs new signing... "A lot of dosh for a 28 year old who is not one of the world's elite strikers, but Soldado will score goals! And more if Bale stays."

I agree to a point but any player Spurs seem to buy it is to strengthen there team whereas we seem to be buying to replace players who have gone out. This year is our big opportunity to strengthen as it is very unlikely we are losing key players like the past few seasons, I am just annoyed and rightly so that we are leaving it so late in the window. We should of had our targets for the this summer at the turn of last year, so we would have had the benefit of getting the new players in early and a pre season under there belt at the club!!

Spurs lost Modric and Van Der Vart and replaced them with Holby and Dempsey. Hardly made their team stronger!!

jonny666 wrote: »
    Spurs lost Modric and Van Der Vart and replaced them with Holby and Dempsey. Hardly made their team stronger!!

Dembele, Sigurdsson, Lloris, Adebayor, Vertongen, Parker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

And out of all them the only one who I reckon would be a good addition to our squad is Vertonghen who bottled the chance of joining Arsenal because he didn't fancy the prospect of having to fight for a place in the team which says all you need to know about his ambition.

haha they can keep all them. Lloris is the only one id want. Actually Vertongen as well but i have a feeling our own Belgian will have a stormer (if he's not injured). The rest of them players are ****e

Edit: Just seen above. Forgot about Vertongen not wanting to fight for a spot. Id worry about a player like that. If a center back gets complacent youre in trouble

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement