Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Its not the point lads, the point I made was they have been strengthening all the time while we have been only replacing (with inferior players may I add)

And I am pretty sure Dembele, Vertonghen and Lloris would easily get into our squad and definitely 2 of them would start for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its not the point lads, the point I made was they have been strengthening all the time while we have been only replacing (with inferior players may I add)

And I am pretty sure Dembele, Vertonghen and Lloris would easily get into our squad and definitely 2 of them would start for us.

So they have been strengthening with player who wouldn't make our squad? Oooh lets be fearful of Spurs so :rolleyes:.

None of them would start for us, I do like Vertonghen but with Merts and Kos we had the second best defence in the league so no to Vertonghen.

I like a lot really rate Scez so I would still have him as a our no1 but admitedly Loris would be a good signing.

And who exactly would you have Dembele ahead of?

There is a reason Arsenal have finished ahead of Spurs consistently for years even last year when they had there best player in my living memory could they not overtake us, stop trying to build Spurs as this almighty squad of players and a club who we should aspire to, they are an inferior club in every way.

Since 2005 we have a net spend of minus 35 million :eek: Its a testament to how well the manger has done and to how little the club has spent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

stop trying to build Spurs as this almighty squad of players and a club who we should aspire to, they are an inferior club in every way.

You're correct sir. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

So they have been strengthening with player who wouldn't make our squad? Oooh lets be fearful of Spurs so :rolleyes:.

None of them would start for us, I do like Vertonghen but with Merts and Kos we had the second best defence in the league so no to Vertonghen.

I like a lot really rate Scez so I would still have him as a our no1 but admitedly Loris would be a good signing.

And who exactly would you have Dembele ahead of?

There is a reason Arsenal have finished ahead of Spurs consistently for years even last year when they had there best player in my living memory could they not overtake us, stop trying to build Spurs as this almighty squad of players and a club who we should aspire to, they are an inferior club in every way.

Jaysus that is the most biased post I think I have ever read mate, Chesney ahead of Lloris:confused::confused: Vertongen would easily start for us, if not in the centre of defense the he can play in front of the back 4 as the holding midfielder. But I would have him over Mert if im being honest.

Jaysus that is the most biased post I think I have ever read mate, Chesney ahead of Lloris:confused::confused: Vertongen would easily start for us, if not in the centre of defense the he can play in front of the back 4 as the holding midfielder. But I would have him over Mert if im being honest.

It's not biased it's the truth, I would have Sczez over Loris yes apart from his blip were he got dropped Sczez had a very good season and pulled off some brilliant match saving saves and he is only going to get better.

I wouldn't I like Vertonghen as player but I dont want to mess with a defence who had the second best in the league why would you do something so silly?

Take of your Arsenal bashing negativity glasses for a second everything at the club is not doom and gloom yes we do need strengthening but to talk up Spurs as an argument against Arsenal is plain stupid, at least use a club who have regulary finished ahead of us such as United but to use Spurs in constant Arsenal bashing posts is stupid imo since there main focus for years seems to have been to finish above us never mind winning trophies and they have failed year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hyzepher wrote: »
    You're right.

My post was only meant as an aside just to see what combination of players we could have gotten for that amount - not that we SHOULD have gotten them or that we should have spent 70m on whoever just for the sake of it.

I meant it as just a bit of fun.

Theoretically:
    Higuain 34m - was sold for that
    Fellaini 22m - release clause
    Versatile defender 8-10m
    4-6m left

That would leave us relatively sorted imo, maybe lacking a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's pretty easy to strengthen when you've Huddlestone and Jenas in midfield and Defoe up front.

It's not biased it's the truth, I would have Sczez over Loris yes apart from his blip were he got dropped Sczez had a very good season and pulled off some brilliant match saving saves and he is only going to get better.

I wouldn't I like Vertonghen as player but I dont want to mess with a defence who had the second best in the league why would you do something so silly?

Take of your Arsenal bashing negativity glasses for a second everything at the club is not doom and gloom yes we do need strengthening but to talk up Spurs as an argument against Arsenal is plain stupid, at least use a club who have regulary finished ahead of us such as United but to use Spurs in constant Arsenal bashing posts is stupid imo since there main focus for years seems to have been to finish above us never mind winning trophies and they have failed year after year.
    But does it not frighten you how close they are getting to us, it went down to the last game of the season to finish ahead of them ffs :eek: When are you going to wake up and admit that this season just could be the season that they do us, especially as we see them getting there business done before us yet again with the signings of Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado, when we are going about making a mockery of ourselves under bidding for players as usual :rolleyes: We have let go 34 players in the past year, and guess how many we have brought in, 5 fcuking 5:mad:

• Advertisement

But does it not frighten you how close they are getting to us, it went down to the last game of the season to finish ahead of them ffs :eek: When are you going to wake up and admit that this season just could be the season that they do us, especially as we see them getting there business done before us yet again with the signings of Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado, when we are going about making a mockery of ourselves under bidding for players as usual :rolleyes: We have let go 34 players in the past year, and guess how many we have brought in, 5 fcuking 5:mad:

Don't worry about them, blah blah, not worth talking about, blah blah blah, they'll never finish ahead of us etc.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to strengthen when you've Huddlestone and Jenas in midfield and Defoe up front.

Well its a testament to how far we have falling if a team with those 2 in there midfield can finish a point behind us (2011/2012 season)

But does it not frighten you how close they are getting to us, it went down to the last game of the season to finish ahead of them ffs :eek: When are you going to wake up and admit that this season just could be the season that they do us, especially as we see them getting there business done before us yet again with the signings of Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado when we are going about making a mockery of ourselves under bidding for players as usual :rolleyes: We have let go 34 players in the past year, and guess how many we have brought in, 5 fcuking 5:mad:

Not really not because like I have said it is looking more and more likely they are going to loose Bale and the 3 players they have bought so far are not a patch on Bale and without him they will be a weaker team regardless. When am I going to wake up, how many years have we been hearing now this is the year Arsenal slip out of the top????? And how often has it come through????? Not even once despite what the doom mongers and press would have you believe at the start of each season ;). So what they got there business done before us but of the 3 players they have signed would I be really excited if Arsenal signed them no? So im not worried. Do I think we will sign players yes no need to panic.

We bid 40 million under bidding you must be mad, Liverpool are trying to pirce him out of a move because they want to keep him ;) but that transfer may yet happen. Ok we let go 34 player mostly player who couldn't get near the first team look at the players behind those figures before using them against the club.

Don't worry about them, blah blah, not worth talking about, blah blah blah, they'll never finish ahead of us etc.

Its actually mind boggling how naive some of our fans are to think that they will never finish ahead of us just because were Arsenal and they are Spurs. Anyways we shouldn't even be worrying about getting 4th ahead of them we should be challenging the likes of Utd, Chelsea and City for the title and domestic silverware.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I got practically assaulted in here the other day for suggesting the same. I also keep reading that Chelsea and City won't be the same this year because they both have new managers. Honestly you people talk serious ****.

Lads, as has been said before nobody knows whats going on with the signings. Yeah we’re all at the very least “concerned” about things. Everyone can see we need to improve the first team to challenge for honors, and to improve the squad to maintain our position in the CL and amongst the elite. The board knows it, and won’t want to miss out. Wenger knows it.

If we haven’t done some good business by the end of the window by all means we should all go f*cking mental at the situation. But we’ve time to go, and while elite strikers are looking thin on the ground, there are plenty of players who can improve us in the other areas which need work.

It’s getting harder to stay patient, but what choice to we have.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    I got practically assaulted in here the other day for suggesting the same. I also keep reading that Chelsea and City won't be the same this year because they both have new managers. Honestly you people talk serious ****.

:pac::pac::pac: practically assaulted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Between here, United and the Liverpool thread, we will have all killed each other soon enough.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Lads, as has been said before nobody knows whats going on with the signings. Yeah we’re all at the very least “concerned” about things. Everyone can see we need to improve the first team to challenge for honors, and to improve the squad to maintain our position in the CL and amongst the elite. The board knows it, and won’t want to miss out. Wenger knows it.

If we haven’t done some good business by the end of the window by all means we should all go f*cking mental at the situation. But we’ve time to go, and while elite strikers are looking thin on the ground, there are plenty of players who can improve us in the other areas which need work.

It’s getting harder to stay patient, but what choice to we have.
    I wish I was as calm as you about the situation, but that's maybe down to hearing the same oul sh1te from the board window after window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Apologies if posted before, but going by this interview from that google hangout, it doesnt sound like we are signing anyone. Sounds a bit like Deja vu.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/wenger-still-working-on-transfers-29465783.html

I wish I was as calm as you about the situation, but that's maybe down to hearing the same oul sh1te from the board window after window.

i'm not calm - to be honest, i'm freaking out, but trying to stay calm for the sake of my sanity:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

jonny666 wrote: »
    haha they can keep all them. Lloris is the only one id want. Actually Vertongen as well but i have a feeling our own Belgian will have a stormer (if he's not injured). The rest of them players are ****e

Edit: Just seen above. Forgot about Vertongen not wanting to fight for a spot. Id worry about a player like that. If a center back gets complacent youre in trouble

Dembele, Vertongen and Lloris walk into the Arsenal team. Easily.

I am pie wrote: »
    Dembele, Vertongen and Lloris walk into the Arsenal team. Easily.

Dembele ahead of who?

Dembele ahead of who?

Ramsey.

Ramsey.

No, nor ahead of Wilshere, Cazorla or Arteta.

Dembele ahead of who?

Arteta & Ramsay for a start, without even having to think about it.

He is on par with Wilshere, although I would raise an eyebrow over Wilshere's fitness.

Arteta & Ramsay for a start, without even having to think about it.

He is on par with Wilshere, although I would raise an eyebrow over Wilshere's fitness.

Go have a look at Arteta's stats for last season then come back to me, he is on a par with Wilshere now I know your smoking crack.

No, nor ahead of Wilshere, Cazorla or Arteta.

.......Arteta.....
    ........Dembele............. Jack
    Walcott/Ox ............. ................. Cazorla

Arteta
    Dembele Jack
    Walcott/Ox Cazorla

Not saying that would be bad, but I prefer our middle three to be Arteta, Jack and Cazorla. I've no doubt Wilshere and Cazorla will start to work together, and in that three Dembele would not be a starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Dunno.....Myles Palmer is completely anti-Wenger so I'd take anything he says with a lorry load of salt tbh.

• Advertisement

Go have a look at Arteta's stats for last season then come back to me, he is on a par with Wilshere now I know your smoking crack.

I guess as a fan you can't be objective. That's fine, you can also be abusive if it contents you. Your crack jibes hold no interest to me.

I am not a Spurs fan, but my opinion is that Dembele is a significantly better player than Arteta and Ramsay. Stats little outside of the context of what each player's role is in the team and how the team operates.

Let's see at the end of the season. I predict Spurs will sit above Arsenal unless Wenger does some serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dunno.....Myles Palmer is completely anti-Wenger so I'd take anything he says with a lorry load of salt tbh.

Is that everyone's answer on this forum when something is posted that is negative towards Wenger?

Well spurs have spent fifty million. We're yet to buy. If we add like we should and they lose bale like they will then the status quo will remain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is that everyone's answer on this forum when something is posted that is negative towards Wenger?

No but I think MP was one of the first people to start having a go at Arsene. From his posts its obvious he hates Wenger and wont be happy till he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not mine anyway....

It's just a fact that Palmer is very anti-Wenger and has been for years. He was originally very close to him though as it happens. Take a look through the other articles in his forum and I think you'll see the pattern.

I guess as a fan you can't be objective. That's fine, you can also be abusive if it contents you. Your crack jibes hold no interest to me.

I am not a Spurs fan, but my opinion is that Dembele is a significantly better player than Arteta and Ramsay. Stats little outside of the context of what each player's role is in the team and how the team operates.

Let's see at the end of the season. I predict Spurs will sit above Arsenal unless Wenger does some serious business.

:pac: it wasn't abusive, it's a tongue in cheek figure of speech god the world has become very pc.

Well I don't agree Arteta is lot better than Dembele and to discount stats as good as Arteta is ridiculious or stats at all for that matter.

I predict your wrong ;).

30 goals in 46 games last season for Soldado and at 28 he's at his prime. Good signing.

Pricks. :D

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Well spurs have spent fifty million. We're yet to buy. If we add like we should and they lose bale like they will then the status quo will remain

I would Paulinho and Soldado go some way to putting them ahead?

If Soldado is in, Arsenal have no one close to that quality. That's why Wenger went for Higuain and Suarez. Not getting a striker of game changing quality in the CL and top premiership matches is going to hinger Arsenal. Suarez isn't coming. If he does it would be open season on Liverpool's mgr and board and they do not want that. If he had 1 or 2 years left on the contract it would be a different story. Because he is a nutter, Suarez signed a long term contract last season!

:pac: it wasn't abusive, it's a tongue in cheek figure of speech god the world has become very pc.

Well I don't agree Arteta is lot better than Dembele and to discount stats as good as Arteta is ridiculious or stats at all for that matter.

I predict your wrong ;).

Nothing to do with PC, but again I am not interested in your opinion of me.

OK, we disagree. I guess I can't get you to understand the highly specific nature of stats and their irrelevance when considered in the context of the role a player has and the difference in approach of the Arsenal and Spurs midfield.

Holster the guns and we'll agree to see where the chips lie and the end of the season. If Arsenal don't add goals, they will struggle to hold 4th.

Soldado puts them miles in front of Arsenal in the striking department.

• Advertisement

Wenger is doing the Emirates Cup press conference tomorrow so we should learn a bit more about our financial security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I would Paulinho and Soldado go some way to putting them ahead?

If Soldado is in, Arsenal have no one close to that quality. That's why Wenger went for Higuain and Suarez. Not getting a striker of game changing quality in the CL and top premiership matches is going to hinger Arsenal. Suarez isn't coming. If he does it would be open season on Liverpool's mgr and board and they do not want that. If he had 1 or 2 years left on the contract it would be a different story. Because he is a nutter, Suarez signed a long term contract last season!

Soldado is not a not that good

I hope to see all these new posters when the business gets done and everything is going well

Good to have new people on board no running away now if there is nothing negative going on at the club

Wenger is doing the Emirates Cup press conference tomorrow so we should learn a bit more about our financial security.

When he does the press conference

Cue forum meltdown in

3. 2. 1.

Nothing to do with PC, but again I am not interested in your opinion of me.

OK, we disagree. I guess I can't get you to understand the highly specific nature of stats and their irrelevance when considered in the context of the role a player has and the difference in approach of the Arsenal and Spurs midfield.

Holster the guns and we'll agree to see where the chips lie and the end of the season. If Arsenal don't add goals, they will struggle to hold 4th.

Soldado puts them miles in front of Arsenal in the striking department.

I think you're overestimating soldado, but we'll see at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It really doesn't matter who Spurs sign. If they lose Bale it will be a case of one step forward and ten steps backwards. I reckon he gave them a boost of five places last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I hope to see all these new posters when the business gets done and everything is going well

Good to have new people on board no running away now if there is nothing negative going on at the club

So this is a "the world is great and Wenger can do no wrong and anyone who says otherwise is a moaner" thread now?

wawaman wrote: »
    So this is a "the world is great and Wenger can do no wrong and anyone who says otherwise is a moaner" thread now?

Nope we have all year round moaners who I quiet enjoy my debates with

Then we have the moaners who only come in when things are going bad, I hate them moaners

gandalf wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter who Spurs sign. If they lose Bale it will be a case of one step forward and ten steps backwards. I reckon he gave them a boost of five places last year.

The same was said about us last year when we lost RVP.

gandalf wrote: »

I'd be very surprised if Spurs dont finish with more points than they did last season.

Dont think they are finished in the transfer market just yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Nope we have all year round moaners who I quiet enjoy my debates with

Then we have the moaners who only come in when things are going bad, I hate them moaners

Thats fair enough. But circumstances at the moment have created a perfect storm for people to be annoyed at the club and Wenger. Hopefully come September people will be wondering what all the panic was about (me included)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement