Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

wawaman wrote: »
    Thats fair enough. But circumstances at the moment have created a perfect storm for people to be annoyed at the club and Wenger. Hopefully come September people will be wondering what all the panic was about (me included)

Totally agree. I would be the biggest supporter of the way the club and manager go about there business, but now is the time to bring in players that will improve our starting XI. I think we need 4 to 5 players. GK, CB, DMF, WINGER AND STRIKER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The same was said about us last year when we lost RVP.

I agree with that.
    When we lost RVP people wondered where our goals would come from. We actually scored more last season with the goals being spread around the team.

Spurs might do the same and be more balanced than they were.
    They again see us as the main obstacle to getting CL football.

I feel it is imperative that we strengthen and keep ahead of them but with a few extra class players we could aim even higher and challenge for the title.

We are threading water if we don't add quality to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Jesus it's been months since I've posted in the Soccer forum but reading this thread has me depressed out of my mind :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I am pie wrote: »
    Arteta & Ramsay for a start, without even having to think about it.

He is on par with Wilshere, although I would raise an eyebrow over Wilshere's fitness.

:pac: If Dembele is so good and on a par with Wilshere, then why weren't bigger clubs than Spurs in for him? Wilshere wouldn't be out of place in the Barca or Real teams, could you really say the same about Dembele?

I agree with that.
    When we lost RVP people wondered where our goals would come from. We actually scored more last season with the goals being spread around the team.

Spurs might do the same and be more balanced than they were.
    They again see us as the main obstacle to getting CL football.

I feel it is imperative that we strengthen and keep ahead of them but with a few extra class players we could aim even higher and challenge for the title.

We are threading water if we don't add quality to the panel.

This is what I am trying to say, and with that money brought in from any sale of Bale you can bet your bottom dollar it will be invested into the team and wisely at that. Anyhow my deadline for new players to be brought in is the start of the new season which in just 2 weeks away, I dont want us waiting to the last minute and panic buying alas Santos & Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nope we have all year round moaners who I quiet enjoy my debates with

Then we have the moaners who only come in when things are going bad, I hate them moaners

Myself and tayto lover would probably be two of the long time moaners, trust me I haven't been satisfied with finishing fourth selling our best players or showing no ambition in recent years.

But I do feel the club may be turning a corner and a lot of the moaning recently haseen r as bring, hyperbole it's been frustration boiling over with very few valid or debatable points being made.

As many of us have said judge the club in September we just need to have patience, if we do fail to deliver on the promises us as fans were delivered. Then I will be one the moaners again and calling for heads to roll but not until that window closes will I judge the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good old Arsenal.

There's so little going on that half the posters are moaning constantly about the inactivity and our prospects while the other half are moaning about the moaners.

Jesus, would something ever HAPPEN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Myself and tayto lover would probably be two of the long time moaners, trust me I haven't been satisfied with finishing fourth selling our best players or showing no ambition in recent years.

But I do feel the club may be turning a corner and a lot of the moaning recently haseen r as bring, hyperbole it's been frustration boiling over with very few valid or debatable points being made.

As many of us have said judge the club in September we just need to have patience, if we do fail to deliver on the promises us as fans were delivered. Then I will be one the moaners again and calling for heads to roll but not until that window closes will I judge the club.

I believe that posters are only showing their frustration at the lack of movement.
    They all want the best for the club.
    I believe we are all actually fed up of the last game torment for fourth place and that surely is a reason for much of the negativity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

According to Andy Hunter in the Guardian. Liverpool have made a £21m bid for Diego Costa, which is believed to meet his release clause. Preparing for Suarez's exit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I believe that posters are only showing their frustration at the lack of movement.
    They all want the best for the club.
    I believe we are all actually fed up of the last game torment for fourth place and that surely is a reason for much of the negativity.

Oh I do agree but the club made big promises at the start of the window and I will judge when its closed not beforehand. Some posters are just letting there frustrations take over and it's getting the better of them there coming in ranting and not making valid points.

Deep breaths is all I suggest and see what happens before we say this may spurs year ;) one or two quality signings and we could be seen as challengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Nope we have all year round moaners who I quiet enjoy my debates with

Then we have the moaners who only come in when things are going bad, I hate them moaners

Sorry I think you are being a bit condescending. While I think a few posters moan about the lack of transfer activity but to be honest it is August already and we have no idea if we will even sign any player at all.

We were told in June that the club is in a position to make quality additions , since the transfer window opened, it has been a shambolic display by the club - from missing out on Higuain to misjudging Suarez's contract situation.

It is unfair to label anyone who questions the lack of activity as a moaner; you seemingly have strong confidence that it will end well- others aren't so sure. It is clear that the club do not have any intention of challenging for the EPL or CL this year and are ok with just 4th place but with the way Spurs are going about their business, we might struggle to make the CL this season.

While I agree it is too early to make judgements, supporters have a right to panic and question the club's motives. We get a lot of arguments that ManU have not signed either but the difference is that even with their current team, they have a very good chance of winning the EPL again- mainly because we sold our best player to them last season.

I would have imagined that Arsenal will take advantage of the managerial change in all the top 3 to mount a serious challenge this year but it seems that is not in their agenda for now tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's the fact the club's manager and Board are constantly going on about their been money and wanting to add to the squad. Every Summer transfer market we're let down by okay signing's with the odd bright star. We're two month's into the transfer window not one marquee signing, this team need's 3 to 4 top signings to. Once again we're hearing Wenger go "this squad can win leagues" and that he won't make singings. It makes me angry.

I've been a fan for 25 year's and every Arsenal fan has a right to moan if they feel the Club is been manage badly on the field. I hate seen us finish 4th and celebrating like it's winning the league. While we sell our best player's to our rival's and watch them win thing's. Wenger has been living on his past glories for far too long and he's lost his drive to win a long time ago. I want to see my Club win thing's not struggling in the league and been knocked out of cup's by minnows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I just don't get the logic of doing our business late, only thing I can think of is signings depending on the champions league qualification, what other reason is there? Unless its penny pinching again.

This current team is the worst attacking team I have seen under Wenger, no creativity apart from Santi, who looks frustrated trying to do it all on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

So anyone got a listing of our upcoming televised fixtures?

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Sorry I think you are being a bit condescending. While I think a few posters moan about the lack of transfer activity but to be honest it is August already and we have no idea if we will even sign any player at all.

We were told in June that the club is in a position to make quality additions , since the transfer window opened, it has been a shambolic display by the club - from missing out on Higuain to misjudging Suarez's contract situation.

It is unfair to label anyone who questions the lack of activity as a moaner; you seemingly have strong confidence that it will end well- others aren't so sure. It is clear that the club do not have any intention of challenging for the EPL or CL this year and are ok with just 4th place but with the way Spurs are going about their business, we might struggle to make the CL this season.

While I agree it is too early to make judgements, supporters have a right to panic and question the club's motives. We get a lot of arguments that ManU have not signed either but the difference is that even with their current team, they have a very good chance of winning the EPL again- mainly because we sold our best player to them last season.

I would have imagined that Arsenal will take advantage of the managerial change in all the top 3 to mount a serious challenge this year but it seems that is not in their agenda for now tbh..

The guy's who are been condescending are Pro Wenger clan. Still think he's the best manager to lead us to glory. We've been waiting since 2005 for those glories :rolleyes:.

This was the year we'd show we mean business but Wenger is once again our stumbling block to loyal to average player's and his old fashioned values of not wanting to spend big. We are too big a club to not be competing for the EPL and Champion's league.

It is unfair to label anyone who questions the lack of activity as a moaner; you seemingly have strong confidence that it will end well- others aren't so sure

Technically, I labelled everyone in the whole thread a moaner so at least I'n being fair.

But you're kind if right. Expressing disappointment at a kick of activity or questioning the club is if course not moaning. However at the moment we're collectively filling 10 pages a day - that's moaning.

I've no idea how this will end for Arsenal and I'm not that optimistic really but I know exactly what to expect from this thread if there's no movement. 10 pages of exactly what went on today and exactly what went on yesterday.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions and they will differ but we've all expressed them at this stage. Can we just wait for something to happen before rolling out the same argument and counter again.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The guy's who are been condescending are Pro Wenger clan. Still think he's the best manager to lead us to glory. We've been waiting since 2005 for those glories :rolleyes:.

This was the year we'd show we mean business but Wenger is once again our stumbling block to loyal to average player's and his old fashioned values of not wanting to spend big. We are too big a club to not be competing for the EPL and Champion's league.

Perfect example:

'We haven't won a trophy since 2005'

'This year was supposed to be different regarding spending'

'Same old Wenger, sticks by average players, won't spend big'

'We're not competing for big trophies'

How is that not anything but moaning at this stage? Those points have been put forward a rediculous amount of times in this thread.

And yes. I am moaning about him moaning which makes me no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

How are we not taking advantage. Who could we sign now that will def start the season

Maybe a midfielder, that's it

To right the season off with a month left in the window and say the club hav no intention of competing is just moaning

Plain and simple moaning

gosplan wrote: »
    Technically, I labelled everyone in the whole thread a moaner so at least I'n being fair.

But you're kind if right. Expressing disappointment at a kick of activity or questioning the club is if course not moaning. However at the moment we're collectively filling 10 pages a day - that's moaning.

I've no idea how this will end for Arsenal and I'm not that optimistic really but I know exactly what to expect from this thread if there's no movement. 10 pages of exactly what went on today and exactly what went on yesterday.

Of course we're all entitled to our opinions and they will differ but we've all expressed them at this stage. Can we just wait for something to happen before rolling out the same argument and counter again.

We be waiting for year's mate this isn't a one off thing. It's a constant summer thing with Wenger for years now. I've been the loyal Wenger man for years but this summer I expected more. He's really is the stumbling block to us been a big club again. I've a idea how it end's, us finishing outside the top 4 and not winning sweet F' all. Wenger's same excuses and him been offered a new improved contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

bad2dabone wrote: »
    So anyone got a listing of our upcoming televised fixtures?

So it looks like between setanta Ireland, bt and sky our 1st 7 games are on tv

http://www.wheresthematch.com/Football/Arsenal.asp

http://www.setanta.com/ie/premier-league-fixtures/

How are we not taking advantage. Who could we sign now that will def start the season

To right the season off with a month left in the window and say the club hav no intention of competing is just moaning

Plain and simple moaning

Higuan who would have improved our starting 11 straightaway, which Wenger knew because he bid for him, but as usual wasn't prepared to go that extra bit to get him, so there's one example.

Plain and simple moaning

A world class striker, Left winger who can cross a damn ball, a defensive midfielder and reliable Goalkeeper and another Centre back. That's who we need. We lack depth in the squad.

No it's you been in denial and believing the guff Wenger feed you every year. Any fan has the right to write a season off if they feel the team isn't good enough.

Higuan who would have improved our starting 11 straightaway, which Wenger knew because he bid for him, but as usual wasn't prepared to go that extra bit to get him, so there's one example.

They changed targets to Suarez thought its a better deal

What's wrong with that

They changed targets to Suarez thought its a better deal

What's wrong with that

Because its a massive gamble that looks like won't pay off, it was a stupid idea to change.

A world class striker, Left winger who can cross a damn ball, a defensive midfielder and reliable Goalkeeper and another Centre back. That's who we need. We lack depth in the squad.

No it's you been in denial and believing the guff Wenger feed you every year. Any fan has the right to write a season off if they feel the team isn't good enough.

Write a season off in August in AUGUST

Santi plays left wing I'm happy
    We're In for a world class striker
    We don't play a DM
    Maybe a CB but def wouldn't start
    Maybe a keeper but prob would t start either

We might need a CM alright but that's the only player who would start maybe

So relax, don't right of the season just yet

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Perfect example:

'We haven't won a trophy since 2005'

'This year was supposed to be different regarding spending'

'Same old Wenger, sticks by average players, won't spend big'

'We're not competing for big trophies'

How is that not anything but moaning at this stage? Those points have been put forward a rediculous amount of times in this thread.

And yes. I am moaning about him moaning which makes me no better.

It's a forum if we want to moan we have every right to. I go over there every year and spend big money in doing so, I feel I have the right to do so. I want to see my club compete not be seen as the laughing stock of the premiership. I want Wenger to prove me wrong but he's proven me right once again.

Because its a massive gamble that looks like won't pay off, it was a stupid idea to change.

"Looks like"

What if we get him

We don't play a DM

Rubbish Santi is wasted on the wing.

"Looks like"

What if we get him

What if we don't.

Rubbish Santi is wasted on the wing.

Look back his best games came from playing left wing with rosicky in the centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

What if we don't.

What if we do.

We can do this all night :D

What if we don't.

Then moan, we have 4 weeks to pull it off

We don't play a DM

But he's not a Left winger, he's struggled out there. His best position is CM.
    We won't get Suarez, Liverpool won't give in as easy as we do with our top player's.
    We need a CB and GK. end of.

If we go into the start of the season with that squad then yeah in August I'm writing us off. We didn't beat any of the top 4 with that team. We only beat Spures when they got a man sent off.

Then moan, we have 4 weeks to pull it off

Well he ain't here now, so until then moaning is justified.

Why

Even if we sign him now he can't play till October why moan

Look back his best games came from playing left wing with rosicky in the centre

Are you serious? You must be joking, he had his best games in the middle, once he was on the wing he vanished, he was moved back into the middle in the few games he started out there.

But he's not a Left winger, he's struggled out there. His best position is CM.
    We won't get Suarez, Liverpool won't give in as easy as we do with our top player's.
    We need a CB and GK. end of.

If we go into the start of the season with that squad then yeah in August I'm writing us off. We didn't beat any of the top 4 with that team. We only beat Spures when they got a man sent off.

I hope you stay around for the season you could be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Liverpool's bid for Douglas Costa: Replacement for Suarez or a transfer to show their ambition for CL? If it's the latter then Spurs and Liverpool will have spent around 50m each.

Are you serious? You must be joking, he had his best games in the middle, once he was on the wing he vanished, he was moved back into the middle in the few games he started out there.

Your so so wrong please look it up

By the way he will play alot more there next season with jack/rosicky playing in the centre

Your so so wrong please look it up

By the way he will play alot more there next season with jack/rosicky playing in the centre

So you are telling me he played better on the left than in the middle?

• Advertisement

So you are telling me he played better on the left than in the middle?

Yep

Anyway it was fun

Enjoy yer evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Not sure if anybody else is being lined up if we do not get Suarez. It may turn out like last season.... who ever is left.

I hope you stay around for the season you could be fun

I want to be proven wrong. I hope Wenger goes out and splashes cash and get's in top quality player's. You can tell me how wrong I was. But if not I'm going to enjoy this season telling you "I told you so".

Yep

http://squawka.com/news/2013/01/22/why-cazorla-should-never-play-on-the-wing-for-arsenal-again-in-depth-analysis-of-his-performance-vs-chelsea/201301224768

Santi on the wing versus Chelsea, see how inaffective he was until Wenger switched him back in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Not sure if anybody else is being lined up if we do not get Suarez. It may turn out like last season.... who ever is left.

We didn't sign whoever was left last season, we bought pretty early

Just looking back at our transfers last season, am I correct in saying all our business was done very early in July?? So I doubt that any transfers coming in depends on us getting CL qualification.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

http://squawka.com/news/2013/01/22/why-cazorla-should-never-play-on-the-wing-for-arsenal-again-in-depth-analysis-of-his-performance-vs-chelsea/201301224768

Santi on the wing versus Chelsea, see how inaffective he was until Wenger switched him back in the second half.

You're talking to the person who thought Ramsey was playing well before he actually started playing well remember. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just looking back at our transfers last season, am I correct in saying all our business was done very early in July?? So I doubt that any transfers coming in depends on us getting CL qualification.

We finished 3rd last year.

Im trying to keep away from all this thread/twitter but Ive been reading both tonight. I can understand the frustration and am getting frustrated myself at the lack of signing. I wont fully judge until the window is over but Im not too optimistic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Also, Has to be said, Tottenham have done cracking business so far this summer. If they hold onto Bale they will be title challengers this season. Pains me to say that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement