Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

meriwether wrote: »
    Im a Wenger fan and supporter, but missing out on Higuain was inexcusable.

It sone thing to be outgunned by the Russian and Oil millionaires of Chelsea, PSG, City and so on, but Napoli?

Seriously now.

You could argue that it was a proxy sale by PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I am not negative I am just sick to death of every season being like groundhog day, out of the title race by Feb and only sweating to make sure we get a Champs Lge spot. I am also sick of us buying 2nd rate players like Podolski, Gervinho, Santos etc when we now have the financial power to get the best out there. Look at Higuain one of the best strikers in world football and we wouldnt pay the extra few million for him. A player who could of took us to the next level.

Were all frustrated as Arsenal fans, we all want the club challenging fact. But the fact you put Podolski in the same sentence as Gervinho and Santos either shows a lack of knowledge or being blinded by furstration I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's frustration because Podolski is a fantastic player when you have neutrals coming in and praising your players such as Gav you should take note because they have no bias at all.

Also will people stop banging the Higuain drum for now at least :rolleyes:, we were in for him we decided to go for Suarez instead who is the better player, if we get him im sure everyone in here who has been banging the Higuain drum will suddenly go very very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Pod isn't amazing on the wing nor up front on his own, I reckon up front in a two man strike force is were he's at his most effective, lethal finisher.

But we don't have the midfield to play a 4-4-2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

greendom wrote: »
    You could argue that it was a proxy sale by PSG

How do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Were all frustrated as Arsenal fans, we all want the club challenging fact. But the fact you put Podolski in the same sentence as Gervinho and Santos either shows a lack of knowledge or being blinded by furstration I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's frustration because Podolski is a fantastic player when you have neutrals coming in and praising your players such as Gav you should take note because they have no bias at all.

Also will people stop banging the Higuain drum for now at least :rolleyes:, we were in for him we decided to go for Suarez instead who is the better player, if we get him im sure everyone in here who has been banging the Higuain drum will suddenly go very very quiet.
    But there all second rate players, I never said they were of similar quality. If Podolski was so good I am sure we would of had a lot more competition for his signature ;) Anyways I have just seen Wengers interview on SSN so I am feeling a bit more optimistic in terms of players coming in :D

• Advertisement

meriwether wrote: »
    How do you mean?

I think he means PSG gave Napoli a ridiculous amount of money for Cavani therefore enabling Napoli to throw lots of money at Madrid ;).

I think he means PSG gave Napoli a ridiculous amount of money for Cavani therefore enabling Napoli to throw lots of money at Madrid ;).

Exactly - that purchase also gave Liverpool a benchmark with which to compare Suarez - perhaps we could have got him for €40million had Cavani only cost that amount :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Poldi has always been better in a duo alright. Definitely the case at Koln where he led the line with the eastern European striker who's name escapes me atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

obviously not going to say no to suarez or any other 35+ goal a season striker but i would still have preferred Higuain myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

More deadwood gone

More slots available in the squad

Signings on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

darego wrote: »
    obviously not going to say no to suarez or any other 35+ goal a season striker but i would still have preferred Higuain myself

25+. There are two consistent 35+ goal per season players in the world right now, and there's more hope of me signing for Arsenal than either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Been honest i'd be delighted if we did get Suarez ahead of Higuain, Premiership proven and a little bit nasty which is what we've been sorely missing the last few years

All of our players are too nice (barring Wilshire) thats why we've no leaders out there mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Been honest i'd be delighted if we did get Suarez ahead of Higuain, Premiership proven and a little bit nasty which is what we've been sorely missing the last few years

All of our players are too nice (barring Wilshire) thats why we've no leaders out there mostly

Understatement of the century, it's nothing but trouble and will easily drag a clubs name and reputation down to his level.

Keane and Viera were a little bit nasty as you put it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Understatement of the century, it's nothing but trouble and will easily drag a clubs name and reputation down to his level.

Last time we actually won something we had a few nasties in the team. We need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I just don't rate him that highly, no pace, cant run at players like you would expect a wide player to, I think he would be put to better use up front but I would always start Giroud ahead of him. As I said I think he is good to have in the squad if you want to rotate and rest some of the more regular starters. Why do you think we only finished 4th its because we have too many players like Podolski that aren't top class but just good decent players who will get the job done against lesser teams but will always fall short against the best on a consistent basis.

Considering he still managed to get 3 goals and an assist in the last two months of last season when he was injured, I think you may be underestimating how good he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think Arsenal's reputation can survive a little Suarez.

And who know's maybe we'll turn him into a Gentleman.

Keane...a little bit.....a fella that went out onto a field with the intention of injuring someone is not just a little bit nasty

Keane was a hell of a lot worse than Suarez, they're not even comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I'd prefer Suarez too.

I think it's unfair tho to say we have no leaders. It was true a couple of years ago but it's really something Wenger has sorted. Wenger always shîts on about team spirit but he is right I think. This team has loads of it. And a few leaders to go around

Per and Arteta are natural leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

bad2dabone wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing Per as vice captain or captain soon

Vieria was no saint either , I seem to remember us having the highest red card count in the Prem at one stage, Teams aren't afraid of Arsenal like to use to be , not that im advocating a return to those days either but I'm sure Suarez is gonna drag the name of the club through the mud and Wenger will just claim not have seen it anyway :D

I think you can add in Wilshere there to, and I can see Scez being a real leader soon enough.

I think you can add in Wilshere there to, and I can see Scez being a real leader soon enough.

And I'd add Kos in there too. He lead by example and put in some fantastic performances last season. Seeing him make that last ditch over head clearance (can't remember the match) would have given em all a lift

jonny666 wrote: »
    And I'd add Kos in there too. He lead by example and put in some fantastic performances last season. Seeing him make that last ditch over head clearance (can't remember the match) would have given em all a lift

Think it was the Wigan home game when the game was finely poised

Think it was the Wigan home game when the game was finely poised

That plus chesneys strong hand save vs Kone were big game moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Exactly the mans point.

Viera was our last successful captain. No harm in it. I've said it before but everybody loves us now cause we don't bother them. Get him in there acting up and doing what not and see how popular we are, I for one hope everybody hates us and we are back to the top. Suarez gives us a huge opportunity to be real title challengers and the thought of winning the title and looking at the likes of Van Persie and so on would be worth any amount of nasty carry on.

Have we spent any money yet?

No???!!!

pram.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Seems to be some more promising noises today re. Suarez

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23550760
    Luis Suarez to consider transfer request in Liverpool dispute

Luis Suarez will consider submitting a formal transfer request and the possibility of court action if his Liverpool dispute is not resolved. say sources close to the player.

The 26-year-old believes Arsenal's bid of just over £40m triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to leave.

Liverpool rejected the offer and insist the clause does not force them to sell.
    "We want to [sign Suarez] if it is feasible in an amicable way," said Gunners manager Arsene Wenger.
    "We will respect what Liverpool want to do. I don't want to speak about Suarez, because that is between Liverpool and Arsenal.
    "I am a great believer you have to keep as much confidentiality as possible, which is quite difficult in the modern world.
    "But we work very hard, not only on the case you name, but on other different cases. We can still strengthen the squad, there is one month to go. We are at the beginning of August and working very hard to strengthen our squad.
    "I am confident. You look at many teams around us. Nothing has happened until now. At the moment the market hasn't moved a lot. Apart from Manchester City, nobody has done anything."
    Arsenal made their club-record offer of £40m plus £1 for Suarez in the belief that it would enable them to secure the Uruguay international's services.

It is understood that when Suarez signed a new contract in August 2012, he requested a clause that allowed him to depart if Liverpool failed to qualify for the Champions League and received a bid in excess of £40m.

Liverpool refused this but suggested an arrangement that obliged them to act in good faith if those conditions were met, which Suarez argues he only accepted because he felt there was verbal agreement from all parties that - despite the new wording - it would work in the same way as a release clause.

While Liverpool are confident that from a legal perspective their position stands up to scrutiny - and Suarez reluctantly agrees - the player is adamant the Reds have gone back on their word and feels let down.
    He has informed Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers of his desire to leave for Champions League football and the only proposal on the table is from Arsenal, with reported interest from Real Madrid failing to materialise.
    Whereas Liverpool have not played in the Champions League since 2009 and missed out on European qualification altogether for next season, Arsenal will feature in the competition for a 17th consecutive campaign.
    Sources close to Suarez say he will consider taking his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and he did go down a similar route when Dutch side Groningen turned down an offer from Ajax for his services in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Seems to be some more promising noises today re. Suarez

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23550760

Id be very surprised (if the story is true) that Liverpool acted that way.

They might have been hoping that Real would come in for him and they would have probably outbid us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think Arsenal's reputation can survive a little Suarez.

And who know's maybe we'll turn him into a Gentleman.

Nah, we would not want him soft. We need a few bad boys in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

25+. There are two consistent 35+ goal per season players in the world right now, and there's more hope of me signing for Arsenal than either of them.

he scored 30 last season and was banned for a lot of games so i wouldn't put 35 past him next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Premier league here we come ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Are the games on bt sport only this weekend? Not a lot of good to those of us with UPC who still don't know what's happening with our subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

2 weeks 'til the Premier League. Two weeks :)

• Advertisement

Are the games on bt sport only this weekend? Not a lot of good to those of us with UPC who still don't know what's happening with our subscriptions.

I know this is prob off topic so sorry but whats the story with BT. I havent read anything about em. Will it mean less games on sky sports? Have u to get TV with BT to get the sports channel? If SS lose any more matches il get rid

jonny666 wrote: »
    I know this is prob off topic so sorry but whats the story with BT. I havent read anything about em. Will it mean less games on sky sports? Have u to get TV with BT to get the sports channel? If SS lose any more matches il get rid

BT channels are available in Ireland with a Setanta subscription. I think BT have taken the slice of pie that ESPN had last season.

BT channels are available in Ireland with a Setanta subscription. I think BT have taken the slice of pie that ESPN had last season.

Thanks.

Setanta just isn't worth it. Especially with some matches available online for eircom customers.

Might go for one of the paid streaming sites this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's not available through UPC yet, we lost ESPN channels yesterday and don't know what's happening with it. Those with Sky and a subscription to Setanta automatically got the new channels yesterday. There's a thread here about it for anyone looking for info http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056978719/12#post85806761

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I paid the extra €5 for ESPN Classic. Bloody loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

If we sign Suarez I will leave this forum forever, because I know some people don't agree with my negativity, prove me wrong please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

If we sign Suarez I will do a merry jig in an Arsenal shirt for all your viewing pleasure.

darego wrote: »
    he scored 30 last season and was banned for a lot of games so i wouldn't put 35 past him next season

That doesn't make him a 35+ goal player, just because if he does better than he's ever done before he might get 35.

That doesn't make him a 35+ goal player, just because if he does better than he's ever done before he might get 35.

30 + is enough for anyone isn't it. Much more than that and it's just greed !;)

If we sign Suarez I will leave this forum forever, because I know some people don't agree with my negativity, prove me wrong please.

No don't leave. It'll be good to see you post positive stuff.

If we sign Suarez....il......il....
    Be delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm taking the Santa mentality for the rest of this window after Wenger's comments yesterday. I am going to assume come Christmas morning that the presents I had hope to get for being a good lad for the year will come forth. I won't know how they got there or how much they cost but all I know they are mine to own now - and that's all the matters.

If this is not the case, Santa and his reindeer can go fcuk themselves and I stop believing in their sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

keano_afc wrote: »
    I paid the extra €5 for ESPN Classic. Bloody loved it.

ESPN classic is like a warm nostalgic breeze going through your living room. It's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No don't leave. It'll be good to see you post positive stuff.

I'm going to be positive from here on in, feck it, ill end up supporting the team regardless once that ball kicks off against villa!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm going to be positive from here on in, feck it, ill end up supporting the team regardless once that ball kicks off against villa!

Hey if ya need to rant, then rant if we all agreed this place would be fairly boring

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement