Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

keano_afc wrote: »
    Was following it on Twitter. Seems like the perfect outcome. Wenger gets to wax lyrical about the famous "mental toughness" while at the same time its fairly obvious we need just that little bit extra to push on. Jolly good.

He just said "Mental resources" in the post match interview. He's so predictable. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wenger saying in the post match interview that we have still 1 month.

Does he not realise that the league starts in less than two weeks.

Also he talks of strengthening the squad and not the team, which would suggest no BIG names worryingly.

Ah come on now we should all know by now Wenger will always say that in interviews. He never gives anything away, never take him on his word at transfers ;).

Also if it is Suarez like others have said he can't play for a while anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Didnt see the match. People happy with the performance? From the sounds of it the first half was brutal followed by a good 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah come on now we should all know by now Wenger will always say that in interviews. He never gives anything away, never take him on his word at transfers ;).

Also if it is Suarez like others have said he can't play for a while anyway.
    Yea I'm not worried about signing Suarez late, as he still has some of his suspension to serve, but I have to say I was hoping we'd see more players bought in other positions. A DM and a CB is needed imo.

Yea I'm not worried about signing Suarez late, as he still has some of his suspension to serve, but I have to say I was hoping we'd see more players bought in other positions. A DM and a CB is needed imo.

We might still get them he did say we have a list of targets, so god only knows what there working on behind closed doors. You'd have to hope the delaying of the squad photos has some meaning behind it.

We might still get them he did say we have a list of targets, so god only knows what there working on behind closed doors. You'd have to hope the delaying of the squad photos has some meaning behind it.

Yeah wouldn't want to waste any money now would we taking it twice.

HazDanz wrote: »

I'd be hugly surprised seen as he begged to go back to his hometown team. Does anyone really expect him to leave Barcelona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'd be hugly surprised seen as he begged to go back to his hometown team. Does anyone really expect him to leave Barcelona?

not to go to play for Moyes.

That got my hope up even more was the fact he wasn't in that photo team line up. Didn't it happen with RVP when he strongly rumoured to leave back in 2012?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    not to go to play for Moyes.

Plus all that talk about not playing for another English club, just another lie but that's the modern footballer. I still think he should have stuck it out another two years with us then go to Barcelona. He must have known he wasn't going to be a first choice player.

I don't think he will. Weird comments for a manager to some out with though I thought.

I don't think Xavi's got much left in the tank, Fab will have a spot for years at barca if he stays, he's truly world class. If he goes to united i'd probably cry.

HazDanz wrote: »
    I don't think he will. Weird comments for a manager to some out with though I thought.

He's putting pressure on Fabergas making him look like he tried but the player wanted out. Covering all his bases really. Modern football manager.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I don't think Xavi's got much left in the tank, Fab will have a spot for years at barca if he stays, he's truly world class. If he goes to united i'd probably cry.

They have a few good young player's that could take over for Fabergas really. Barcelona pump them talented kid's out. I'd be more disappointed seen as he said he wouldn't play for another English club. But who can blame him going to Utd isn't a step down really.

So Chamakh and Gerv very close to permanent leaving according to Arsene on Talksport.

Not bad.

Re Bendtner: "We are nowhere. He is completely here."
    so.

Looks like he'll be in the Gunnersaurus suit next season.

He must have known he wasn't going to be a first choice player.
    He started more games than any other outfield player last season. How is that not first choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wenger has confirmed that Gervinho and Chamakh are nearly gone, but Bendtner is still getting nowhere.

Wenger has confirmed that Gervinho and Chamakh are nearly gone, but Bendtner is still getting nowhere.

Money is his only concern he doesn't care to much about football. I don't think I've ever disliked a player who played for Arsenal as much as him.

• Advertisement

Good on the lads to take their trade elsewhere to try their luck.

As for the other fella, he may get the lawnmower out to do the pitch, in fact, no. - as he would probable do it half drunk and make a balls of it.

Why can't he just fcuk off and take his world class with him rather than been a money bin.

In other news, for the folks in here who seem to take the preseason seriously, Spurs are losing 5-1 against Monaco right now.

Wenger was a fool for given that guy such money. He's the modern day footballing brat as Dunphy would say.

Wenger was a fool for given that guy such money. He's the modern day footballing brat as Dunphy would say.
    Sure wasn't he riding one of the board members. I'm surprised he wasn't offered the managers job.

Sure wasn't he riding one of the board members. I'm surprised he wasn't offered the managers job.

I taught it was the Princess of Denmark. Who was he shagging on the board? it's all a bit Footballer's Wives isn't it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Plus all that talk about not playing for another English club, just another lie but that's the modern footballer. I still think he should have stuck it out another two years with us then go to Barcelona. He must have known he wasn't going to be a first choice player.

Why would he leave Barca? I would not be surprised though if he does go to Man utd. If some of the gossip on the BBC is to be believed, United will have Fab, Ronnie and keep Rooney, lol. That would be some team to beat this season.

Really??

Isnt he married to the princess of Denmark? If he is he's even more of a fcuker cause he doesnt need the money.

Edit jsut seen looper post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Only seen the highlights but a draw isnt a bad result against a team like Napoli. Obviously a win would have been better, but it's only pre-season. Giroud scoring again but against a good opposition is more important than the result in my eyes.

Looks like Bendtner is staying due to his wage demands. The guy is a disgrace and despite his obvious talent, I hope he never wears an Arsenal jersey again. Dont even let him train with the youths. Dont want his attitude rubbing off on anyone else. If we cant get rid of him, pay him to stay at home until his contract expires instead. Good luck to him finding a new club when he hasent even been training let alone playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Only seen the highlights but a draw isnt a bad result against a team like Napoli. Obviously a win would have been better, but it's only pre-season. Giroud scoring again but against a good opposition is more important than the result in my eyes.

Looks like Bendtner is staying due to his wage demands. The guy is a disgrace and despite his obvious talent, I hope he never wears an Arsenal jersey again. Dont even let him train with the youths. Dont want his attitude rubbing off on anyone else. If we cant get rid of him, pay him to stay at home until his contract expires instead. Good luck to him finding a new club when he hasent even been training let alone playing.

We should loan him to a Scottish Third Division club for no fee just to piss him off.

I can't believe we're close to gettin someone to take Chamack!!

It'll be interesting to check up on how he is doing with his new club. See if he really has forgotten how to play football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Can Liverpool/Rodgers/Gerrard go even one day without talking about Suarez? It's like tapping up in reverse.

I really don't see the point in signing Suarez and no-one else. It wouldn't be enough for us to win the league and unless we did that or win the CL he'll sue us in a year for the right to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

gnfnrhead wrote: »

I agree he's a disgrace but obvious talent? His ego is writing cheques his (lack of talent) can't cash. He is Sunderland or Stoke level at best. He was useless at Juventus last season in a team with some fairly ordinary strikers at the time.

When has he ever really displayed obvious top level talent? At Birmingham in the Championship when he scored 11 in 42? Or when he struggled to 8 at Sunderland when he was playing every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Why all the moaning about Bendtner being motivated by money.
    When the real question is how Arsene could have left his wage escalate to the level its currently at given he never showed much consistent promise.
    Why did Wenger extend his contracts at such high wages given his performances.

And Gerv and Chamakh are on their way ... 'Arsene head in hands' , I thought they were the future for Arsenal.

Was reading L'Equipe after France won the U-21 WC, Sanyogo got a 4/10 rating.

Wenger probably cant believe his luck that Bale is gone and Everton are in transistion and Liverpool dont look much stronger either.

Meanwhile the likes of Grant Holt heads for Wigan.
    And Arsenal youths get beaten 7-0 by Luton .
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384077/Luton-7-Arsenal-XI-0--match-report-Wengers-youngsters-thrashed-non-league-side.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

When the real question is how Arsene could have left his wage escalate to the level its currently at given he never showed much consistent promise.

And Gerv and Chamakh are on their way ... 'Arsene head in hands' , I thought they were the future for Arsenal.

Wenger probably cant believe his luck that Bale is gone and Everton are in transistion and Liverpool dont look much stronger either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384077/Luton-7-Arsenal-XI-0--match-report-Wengers-youngsters-thrashed-non-league-side.html

What has Grant Holt's activities got to do with us? :confused:

This guy is a pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Trying to work out the lack of activity in the transfer market this Summer and I'm beginning to wonder whether our acquisitions team (Dick Law?) have been completely blown apart by the prices at the.top of the market.We had our targets - Jovetic, Higuain etc and what we thought we could get them for. The fees have been in excess of what we expected and we haven't been able to compete. Perhaps the board are not giving Dick enough flexibility to negotiate.

I understand there was a board meeting yesterday. Perhaps they looked at what's gone wrong this close season and how matters fan be remedied before the window closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Are you saying we should be signing the likes of grant holt?

The U21 results have been pretty awful this pre-season. Can anyone shed any light on why they are performing so badly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I really don't see the point in signing Suarez and no-one else. It wouldn't be enough for us to win the league and unless we did that or win the CL he'll sue us in a year for the right to leave.

Even if we win the league I could see him leaving in 2 years

Even if we win the league I could see him leaving in 2 years

Absolutely I see him gone in a couple of years but it will be a real filip to bring in a World talent at the very top of his game (long time since we did that) and should help to bring in other big name players.

wawaman wrote: »
    Are you saying we should be signing the likes of grant holt?

Best of listening to a word ol colonial has to say, he spouts verbal diarrhea at the best of times.

On Sanogo not sure what rating L'Equire gave him but he did manage to be France top scorer with 4 goals and didn't look bad anytime I seen him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

greendom wrote: »
    Absolutely I see him gone in a couple of years but it will be a real filip to bring in a World talent at the very top of his game (long time since we did that) and should help to bring in other big name players.

Yep I'm hoping he helps us attract big names am hopefully helps us win the league or a cup

Before he acts the tramp and fcuks off

Cause he will do that

Best of listening to a word ol colonial has to say, he spouts verbal diarrhea at the best of times.

On Sanogo not sure what rating L'Equire gave him but he did manage to be France top scorer with 4 goals and didn't look bad anytime I seen him.

I seen him play a few times in that tournament and thought he was very good too.

If we did sign Suarez, where exactly will he play? Will he automatically take Girouds spot up front or will Wenger play him on the wing? Or just behind Giroud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Trying to decide whether or not Setanta is worth the 20 euro a month be nice to watch today's games but I'm already paying 107 a month is adding 20 worth it. Stupid BT and Setanta.

If you do subscribe to the setanta pack, doing it online has no connection fee & enter 'DEAL' in the promo box & you get two months for 12 something.

you should try plus1HD though, about €8 a month and you'd get the first 3 games of the season & the CL games in that time too if you do it tomorrow
    jester77 wrote: »
    What type of quality could one expect when streaming through this VPN?

I would imagine that a lot of people would have the same idea when the sub is only €15 a month + whatever the VPN costs. Could the VPN handle this at peak times?

I've tried a few services and they are usually great until the football starts and then they fall over under the strain.

the issues wouldn't be the VPN's or site themselves handling it, it's more your connection speed thats being slashed using it, so the better connection you've in the first place the better

people on here have sub'd. to another middle east service using overplay as the VPN
    you only need their VPN to sign up, then you use their smartDNS service the rest of the time so you're not going through the VPN after the initial signup, it's about $5 a month
    there's a guide in the online sites thread about it or on digitalspy somewhere like thay

a few had issues quality wise others didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

greendom wrote: »
    The U21 results have been pretty awful this pre-season. Can anyone shed any light on why they are performing so badly?

They've lost their entire team pretty much.Martinez, Ollson, Gnabry, Akpom, Zelalem and Eisfeld were all travelling with the senior team, the rest of last years u21s minus Bellerin have been released. And from what I watched last year the team was pretty much the Akpom and Gnabry show with a fairly shabby defence.

AdamD wrote: »
    They've lost their entire team pretty much.Martinez, Ollson, Gnabry, Akpom, Zelalem and Eisfeld were all travelling with the senior team, the rest of last years u21s minus Bellerin have been released. And from what I watched last year the team was pretty much the Akpom and Gnabry show with a fairly shabby defence.

Very good point. Any team would struggle with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In other news, for the folks in here who seem to take the preseason seriously, Spurs are losing 5-1 against Monaco right now.

I dunno about taking pre-season seriously if you get strange results, like losing 5-1.

But I was watching the Arsenal game as a newly opened Napoli fan. I saw much the same stuff from Arsenal as I've seen before in the league and that's what I would take seriously. There doesn't seem to be anything different. Behrami was doing very well in midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement