Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Whatever is it about the Drog, he always upsets me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

HazDanz wrote: »
    I nearly over look it as he has been one of best strikers to wacth for the last 6-7 years.

I hate the goal scoring record he has against us.

EDIT: Fcuker.

An unbelievable player who I'd say I would respect and admire as a footballer if he wasn't a footballer who is the size of a house who goes down in theatrics anytime someone breaths on him, for me he is the epitome of everything that is wrong with modern day football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Gotta love Drogba as a neutral. Pure comedy villan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

That ref was an asshole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The thing to take from this last two day's is...

1. We need a World class Striker
    2. A centre back
    3. A DM Midfielder
    4. Attacking Left Winger
    5. If we don't spend we won't win anything or get 4th
    6. Drogba is a diving git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

for me he is the epitome of everything that is wrong with modern day football.

I used to agree, and it's easy to hate the man, but his work away from football shows him as someone all footballers should be looking up to.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I used to agree, and it's easy to hate the man, but his work away from football shows him as someone all footballers should be looking up to.

Yeh I'll give him that his work in the Ivory Coast is comendable but I'm talking about his on pitch persona.

Drogba is a ****ing beast. He would have been great for us for a year or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We used to win the emirates cup, can't even manage that now!

• Advertisement

Who gives a shît

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Who gives a shît

Ha I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

We didn't win a cup that if you bagged a sh*t load of goals in one match and lost the other you could win it. Silly cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've a feeling eboue is gonna be sleeping with that cup tonight

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've a feeling eboue is gonna be sleeping with that cup tonight

He can practice his slide tackling on it.

So will we buy anyone now or do we have to wait for City to hammer us next week first? I know its only pre season but jesus we are hard to watch.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    So will we buy anyone now or do we have to wait for City to hammer us next week first? I know its only pre season but jesus we are hard to watch.

Nah sure let's wait. Get that pessimism level back up to the max again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only positive we can take from the emirates cup is that Wenger surely knows the team needs a huge injection of talent. A shadow of our former selfs the team is!!

Your right, lets hope we get beat 8-2 in the league first before we do a trolley dash again...

Seriously, Wenger can't with the good grace of god say that team will win us the league. Some good players but a lot of average who are not simply good enough to be at Arsenal.

Giroud leading our line scares me. He's got the Peter Crouch vibe to him.

FearDark wrote: »
    Your right, lets hope we get beat 8-2 in the league first before we do a trolley dash again...

Ah sure let's see what happens. We still haven't seen our full first team out in a competitive match yet so hopefully we'll have something close to that against city.

Wenger will get the players we need by the time the window closes.

• Advertisement

Get whipped by Villa in the opening day will surely wake up some who don't think we need signings.

Scary if Wenger goes into the league season with that team.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Seriously, Wenger can't with the good grace of god say that team will win us the league. Some good players but a lot of average who are not simply good enough to be at Arsenal.

Giroud leading our line scares me. He's got the Peter Crouch vibe to him.

Who are the average players?

Putting Giroud in the same bracket as Crouch is a no no. That hurt to read.

Ah sure let's see what happens. We still haven't seen our full first team out in a competitive match yet so hopefully we'll have something close to that against city.

Wenger will get the players we need by the time the window closes.

Even with our first team I don't fancy us. Giroud leading the line shows how far this club has fallen. From Wright to Bergkamp to Henry to Van persie to Giroud :o.

Get whipped by Villa in the opening day will surely wake up some who don't think we need signings.

Scary if Wenger goes into the league season with that team.

You think we'll get whipped by Villa? Come on.

I think everyone agrees we need signings but the team we have at the minute is not a team which will get whipped by the likes of villa. We are a good side that need 2-3 signings to make it a great side.

Who are the average players?

Putting Giroud in the same bracket as Crouch is a no no. That hurt to read.

Giroud, lukas podolski, Carl Jeninkson, wojciech szczesny

I like per mertesacker, but his serious lack of pace will be found out with bigger teams with pacy frontmen.

Giroud is average, he's a good back up not first team class. He's no Wright, Henry or Van Persie.

Even with our first team I don't fancy us. Giroud leading the line shows how far this club has fallen. From Wright to Bergkamp to Henry to Van persie to Giroud :o.

Giroud did good in his first season. A new league with all the pressure on him to perform. He did very good under those circumstances in my books.

He deserves a chance this season to show what he has got. Judge after the first 5-6 league games this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I think Wenger has said enough over the past two days to convince me he'll bring in 1/2 stellar signings.

Anyone who thinks these two games will convince him are deluded, he knows the team/squad better than us he'll be more than aware what we are short, hopefully this year he'll fill those gaps from the top bracket

I think everyone agrees we need signings but the team we have at the minute is not a team which will get whipped by the likes of villa. We are a good side that need 2-3 signings to make it a great side.

Ok maybe not whipped but we will get beaten. I don't see goals in that team. Nice passing but it leads to nothing. How long is he going to wait to sign people? it's two weeks until the league kicks off. Do you think Villa will be fearing coming to us like they would a UTD, City or Chelsea. WE just lack that fear factor we had years back.

I like per mertesacker, but his serious lack of pace will be found out with bigger teams with pacy frontmen.

Giroud is average, he's a good back up not first team class. He's no Wright, Henry or Van Persie.

You either set delusional standards or don't understand what an average player is

Giroud did good in his first season. A new league with all the pressure on him to perform. He did very good under those circumstances in my books.

He deserves a chance this season to show what he has got. Judge after the first 5-6 league games this season.

This is Arsenal football Club not some mickey mouse team. We are one of the biggest footballing teams. Why should we be happy accepting Girouds of this world (I think he won't get pass 15 goals a season in the PL) instead of going for the Cavani's and Falco's. Why are we accepting second best.

• Advertisement

Like he got found out last season? It's a favourite line pundits like to pull against him. He is slow yes, but his positioning more often than not makes up for that. He is also one man you can depend on to calm things when sh*t hits the wall.

Podolski - injured all last season basically. Scoring some crackers along the way. Need to see how he does this season.

Carl and Szczesny are young and are continually improving. Hardly a stick to beat them with?

Soups123 wrote: »
    You either set delusional standards or don't understand what an average player is

Do you think City, Chelsea or Utd would take any of those player's then Soups?

Like he got found out last season? It's a favourite line pundits like to pull against him. He is slow yes, but his positioning more often than not makes up for that. He is also one man you can depend on to calm things when sh*t hits the wall.

Podolski - injured all last season basically. Scoring some crackers along the way. Need to see how he does this season.

Carl and Szczesny are young and are continually improving. Hardly a stick to beat them with?

Laurent koscielny can do that job now. We need a pacy centre back, you don't agree fair enough. But we will be punished by bigger team's with a striker with pace goes one on one with mertesacker.

Podolski wasn't injured all season. He's played for Bayern Munich and Germany over 100 times, Jesus he's not some up and comer.

That doesn't make them average. Chez is going to be quality as will Jenks, Jenks isn't first choice.

Podolski has 100 caps for Germany, had a very good first season out wide and scored some important goals

I think Giroud could become a 25+ goals a season man or flop so time will tell.

All are well above average

Podolski wasn't injured all season. He's played for Bayern Munich and Germany over 100 times, Jesus he's not some up and comer.

You trying to use that to prove he's a average player? :pac:.

Did Wenger have a little sneaky smile on his face all throughout that interview or was it just me??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

City were playing Milner and Nasri on the wings last season, better than both of them.

United: Young, Giggs and Valencia? Better than all of them.

Chelsea are a lot stronger in the wing positions, but you should stop with the sweeping statements which are just nonsensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

God i hope that's the last we see of Miquel in an Arsenal shirt. He's muck. Has been every match of the pre season.
    Unfortunately he hasn't shown any signs of improvement for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Exactly Lads, granted we will beat ye, but were to classy to go beating ye by more than 3 :pac:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Giroud is an average player, i.e he would be far too good to be playing for the likes of a mid table prem team but something doesn't seem right in him leading our line still. I'm not convinced at all and I'd be worried going into the season with him as our main man up front. Wenger will obviously bring in 2/3 more players, he absolutely has to and we NEED a world class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

That doesn't make them average. Chez is going to be quality as will Jenks, Jenks isn't first choice.

Podolski has 100 caps for Germany, had a very good first season out wide and scored some important goals

I think Giroud could become a 25+ goals a season man or flop so time will tell.

All are well above average

ive been hearing that for a while now - other than patches I haven't seen much evidence of him being quality. id go with fabianski for the start of the season and im not even a fan of his.

I thought podolski had a reasonable season no more no less. it certainly wasn't "very good" like you suggest.

disappointing enough weekend - hoping we can get reinforcements in before the start of the season. we really need some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

5-6 games sounds right. Sure, then Suarez's suspension will be over :pac:

sonic85 wrote: »
    ive been hearing that for a while now - other than patches I haven't seen much evidence of him being quality. id go with fabianski for the start of the season and im not even a fan of his.

I thought podolski had a reasonable season no more no less. it certainly wasn't "very good" like you suggest.

disappointing enough weekend - hoping we can get reinforcements in before the start of the season. we really need some.

Last 8 games last season, again today he was excellent, he is very young for a goal keeper and I expect him to come on again this year.

Podolski was very good last year came up with some important goals and wasn't playing in his preferred position through the middle

Last 8 games last season, again today he was excellent, he is very young for a goal keeper and I expect him to come on again this year.

Podolski was very good last year came up with some important goals and wasn't playing in his preferred position through the middle

I 100% agree he scored some very good goals but I think his all round play was lacking. ill reserve judgement till this season ends but I don't believe hes good enough to be a first teamer for us. well see though.

I like chesneys attitude but hes been knocking around a while now and seems to be still very raw. I personally don't like the idea of allowing players to build up experience in the first team - that's what loan spells are for. he may well turn out to be world class but for now hes a long way off that. he shouldn't be our number 1 in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

What do players have to do in the 1st full season with the club in a new league to constitute a good season?

In the EPL last season:

Podolski - 11 goals, 10 assists(joint 2nd highest).
    Giroud - 11 goals, 4 assists.

In my book that is good for a winger, and far better than reasonable.

What were you expecting? 20 goals and 20 assists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    What do players have to do in the 1st full season with the club in a new league to constitute a good season?

In the EPL last season:

Well uh Ronaldo...Shut up!!

MaxPower89 wrote: »

In the EPL last season:

yeah that's exactly what I was expecting. sarcasm by the way. 11 goals in 33 appearances for a team like arsenal isn't great no matter what way you want to spin it. decent - that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

yeah that's exactly what I was expecting. sarcasm by the way. 11 goals in 33 appearances for a team like arsenal isn't great no matter what way you want to spin it. decent - that's it.

So of we replace him, and the replacement winger has similar or inferior stats, then we replace him too?

You're not going to get better from a wide forward first time out though. Or at least it'd be very hard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just back from Croke Park.
    I see we lost today.
    Who played well and what areas of the team were weak please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Just back from Croke Park.
    I see we lost today.
    Who played well and what areas of the team were weak please?

Drogba looked quite sharp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement