Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

gosplan wrote: »
    So of we replace him, and the replacement winger has similar or inferior stats, then we replace him too?

You're not going to get better from a wide forward first time out though. Or at least it'd be very hard too.

errr where in my above posts did I say we should replace him? interested to know this please.

I said ill reserve judgement till next year. i think there are players out there that could offer us more from that position but like i said well see what the upcoming season holds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just back from Croke Park.
    I see we lost today.
    Who played well and what areas of the team were weak please?
    Ramsey played well. Miquel was pretty poor. The defence missed Koscielny. Would have loved to have seen him keep Drogba quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

sonic85 wrote: »
    errr where in my above posts did I say we should replace him? interested to know this please.

Here...
    Yup. Replace Podolski - that's my current thinking. We need to sign a new player instead of him. Replace that guy. In fact I might see about changing my username to replace Podolski. Man I would love nothing more than replacing him

In all seriousness though, I just figured if you didn't want him in the first team, you were looking at someone new. Forgot about Caz playing there. No offence meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I think people know I'm a big Giroud fan but several times around the end of the season I said that he did as well as Drogba in his 1st season in England. He's far from average in my book and we can judge him this season. Knowing us though we'll fudge him up like we did Chamakh and we'll be left with him being wasted and Suarez leaving if he ever comes.

All in all, I think Giroud is good and I want nothing more than him to prove everyone who criticised him last season wrong. His all round play is good anyways, improve his finishing and he'll be top drawer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks like Gervinho and Chamakh are on the way out in the next day or two to Roma and Crystal Palace respectively. Between them, Santos, Arshavin and Squillaci that's a lot of dead wood shipped out. I think it leaves our squad a little bit on the small side though. We could really use another couple of signings to boost numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

only bendtner left now : )

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks like Gervinho and Chamakh are on the way out in the next day or two to Roma and Crystal Palace respectively. Between them, Santos, Arshavin and Squillaci that's a lot of dead wood shipped out. I think it leaves our squad a little bit on the small side though. We could really use another couple of signings to boost numbers.

I'm wondering if we still have a 23??

Fab/Scz

8 def including Miquel

Arteta, Ramsey, Wilshire, Diaby, Le Coq, Caz, Rosicky.

Walcott, Ox, Pod, Ryo.

Giroud, Sanogo, Bendtner.

Obviously 23 doesn't matter because we're looking at homegrown as well but straight away you can see we need players instead of

Diaby/Coq, Miquel, Ryo, Bendtner.

So 4 players from a great squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Here...

In all seriousness though, I just figured if you didn't want him in the first team, you were looking at someone new. Forgot about Caz playing there. No offence meant.

for a second i actually asked myself - did i type that?! thought i may have posted it in a drunken stupor or something!

for a second i actually asked myself - did i type that?! thought i may have posted it in a drunken stupor or something!

It says that you did and the Internet never lies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

2 stellar signings

And as many squad fillers as we like

Star striker and some sort of midfielder I'm thinking AM

Think we will be sorted then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Fab/Scz

8 def including Miquel

Walcott, Ox, Pod, Ryo.

Obviously 23 doesn't matter because we're looking at homegrown as well but straight away you can see we need players instead of

Mother of god i didnt realise we were that light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fab/Scz

8 def including Miquel

Walcott, Ox, Pod, Ryo.

Coq has been loaned out and shure we never have Diaby.
    We need players urgently.
    Those young lads are only fringe players and should only be used for Coca Cola Cup. It's seasoned pros we need and good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Coq has been loaned out and shure we never have Diaby.
    We need players urgently.
    Those young lads are only fringe players and should only be used for Coca Cola Cup. It's seasoned pros we need and good ones.

Haven't heard it called that in a while :pac:

I agree tho. We are very short on players. 4 or 5 signings big or small are definitely needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From the Telegraph:

@TelegraphSport: Arsene Wenger says he cannot predict if he will have any new signings before the season starts
    http://t.co/ufKSHuzg0L

Mentions that Dortmund are looking at Ginter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Loaning out Djourou appears to have been a mistake. We're going into the new season with only two fit proven center backs. There must be plans to buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

From the Telegraph:

@TelegraphSport: Arsene Wenger says he cannot predict if he will have any new signings before the season starts
    http://t.co/ufKSHuzg0L

Mentions that Dortmund are looking at Ginter.

He said he can't predict if we will have them before the champs quailifer

Also said he thinks squad we have Is good enough to get through

But if the players come in all the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Galvasean wrote: »
    Loaning out Djourou appears to have been a mistake. We're going into the new season with only two fit proven center backs. There must be plans to buy another one.

That and a defensive mid. I cannot see his logic in loaning Coq out without getting another one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Rodgers bad mouthing us saying we are disrespectful in bidding for Suarez, starting to dislike him lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rodgers bad mouthing us saying we are disrespectful in bidding for Suarez, starting to dislike him lately.

Shows he's rattled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Shows he's rattled.

Big time. He's being a whiney clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Shows he's rattled.

Rattled by Wenger's smugness over it all. Cool customer wenger.

arsene-wenger_2376816b.jpg

It could all end up like this though come september.

wengercrying.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rodgers accusing Arsenal of lacking class. This coming from the club that made the bids public with an owner who made a pathetic remark on the situation on Twitter. He has demanded loyalty from Suarez yet left Swansea the minute Liverpool came sniffing around. A hypocritical twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rodgers accusing Arsenal of lacking class. This coming from the club that made the bids public with an owner who made a pathetic remark on the situation on Twitter. He has demanded loyalty from Suarez yet left Swansea the minute Liverpool came sniffing around. A hypocritical twat.
    A man who took Joe Allen from Swansea after promiding he wouldn't. Pot, kettle. And its not Arsenal who've bern publisising the bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Breaking: Gervinho in Rome having medical!

Gervinho_zpscf3587c3.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

HazDanz wrote: »
    That and a defensive mid. I cannot see his logic in loaning Coq out without getting another one in.

Every time I've seen coq play he's been terrible, not good enough I think.

• Advertisement

I didn't really get why he left swansea for pool, it was just a sideways step.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Well aren't you delightful.

The vast majority of managers in the modern game are hypocrites. Big whoopty doo. But sure, you go and get all upset over Rodgers. At least you got some thanks heh.

If you wanted to be taken seriously, you'd have bid a serious amount right off the bat. Not low balling well under what the minimum fee supposedly was going to be. £40M is what was being branded about in the media at least. Instead, you bid how much again originally? Then there is the comical £40M + 1M bid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

The vast majority of managers in the modern game are hypocrites. Big whoopty doo. But sure, you go and get all upset over Rodgers. At least you got some thanks heh.

If you wanted to be taken seriously, you'd have bid a serious amount right off the bat. Not low balling well under what the minimum fee supposedly was going to be. £40M is what was being branded about in the media at least. Instead, you bid how much again originally? Then there is the comical £40M + 1M bid :D

I really hope for your sake this is a drunken post.

P.S the 40 million release clause only started getting media attention after Arsenal had bid 40 million not beforehand so a 30 million bid was most likely putting the feelers out to suss out what the situation was from Liverpool and to let Suarez people know we had an interest sorry not every club will go barreling in with 35 million offers for players barely worth 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Anyone with any basic knowledge of negotiating/haggling for anything knows that this is exactly what you don't do. As mentioned, you start out low, knowing full well your initial offer isn't good enough, but to test the waters and provide a basis for further negotiation. Bidding 50 million straight off the bat would have been retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Anyone with any basic knowledge of negotiating/haggling for anything knows that this is exactly what you don't do. As mentioned, you start out low, knowing full well your initial offer isn't good enough, but to test the waters and provide a basis for further negotiation. Bidding 50 million straight off the bat would have been retarded.

So you increase your initial bid by a £1 ? Arsenal fans are comical.You think it makes any sense in Liverpool selling to Arsenal for that price? It would want to be near the £60m mark to even consider it.Liverpool are competing with Arsenal for top 4.If Arsenal get Suarez it significantly strengthens your squad and weakens Liverpool's.

Also Suarez has 3 years left on his contract not 1 like RVP so we really are in no rush to sign him.If he decided to go down the Carlos Tevez route and sulk which is highly unlikely he'd still be better off at Liverpool than at Arsenal.We could wait a year and still get £40m plus for him off a team abroad.

Suarez to Arsenal is simply never going to happen. Wenger won't spend £60m or even close to that.

• Advertisement

Lol competing for 4th, you're killing me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yurt wrote: »
    So you increase your initial bid by a £1 ? Arsenal fans are comical.You think it makes any sense in Liverpool selling to Arsenal for that price? It would want to be near the £60m mark to even consider it.Liverpool are competing with Arsenal for top 4.If Arsenal get Suarez it significantly strengthens your squad and weakens Liverpool's.

Also Suarez has 3 years left on his contract not 1 like RVP so we really are in no rush to sign him.If he decided to go down the Carlos Tevez route and sulk which is highly unlikely he'd still be better off at Liverpool than at Arsenal.We could wait a year and still get £40m plus for him off a team abroad.

Suarez to Arsenal is simply never going to happen. Wenger won't spend £60m or even close to that.

Jesus Liverpool fans at least educate yourselves before you come in here looking like fools.

Arsenal initial bid was 30 million pounds second bid was 40 million and 1 pound. Plus it has been widely reported Liverpool will accept a bid of 50 million pounds not 60 if it even comes to that because there is still a strong possibility Suarez will push for a move.

Competing? :pac::pac:, no Spurs are competing and if we sign one or two quality players were not competing for fourth spot were title challengers. Stop sounding so bitter Liverpool at best are challengng for a Uefa Cup spot at best that is, 4th is not going to happen.

GO HOME LIVERPOOL FANS YOUR DRUNK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Surely post of the day. Pool fans are the most deluded fans I have ever come across period.

Yeah yeah whatever.

Kind of surprised at this comment from Rodgers. No need got it to turn nasty really.

Anyone know the forum they were made in, was he asked a direct question or what?

The moralising and 'lack of class' thing is a bit much tbh. 40 million is a huge amount if money for a footballer, especially one that causes a lot of trouble.

If Liverpool want 60 or close to what Bale will go for like THEY'RE always talking about, then go out and get that for him. If you can't get that, then keep him.

... But shut up about it.

BTW: in your 'we want 60 million' valuations, did anyone every think that Cavani, Falcao and Neymar went very quickly this season for less or similar in Neymar's case. How many bids came in for Suarez during that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

You do realise Arsenal made that bid on the understanding that this would activate a release clause, don't you? Also, initial bid was actually around the 30-35 million mark, not 40.

I for one don't even want Suarez at Arsenal. 40 million plus on a player with that much baggage is just not worth it. Should have pursued Higuain instead.

Linked with a new player this morning: 21-year-old midfielder Omar Abdulrahman of UAE club Al Ain.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-uae-olympic-2124142

He sounds like a good prospect but it's not going to get many flush with excitement. He also apparently had a two-week trial at Man City last year, so maybe they weren't convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I've come on to the forum late today but give me permission to repeat what everyone else has been saying, please.

The initial bid wasn't 40 million. It would help if you did your research before spouting your opinions.

As for Liverpool competing for top 4, a gentleman on the previous page laughed that off perfectly already.

As far as i can see Arsenal have operated entirely properly in this saga. Rodgers is wrong to question Arsenal's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nothing wrong with Arsenal's behaviour. Suarez's market value is rated at 37 million pounds, so Arsenal are offering over market value.

I can understand why Liverpool would be defensive but they are being delusional if they think he is worth anywhere near 60 million. For a player who clearly wants to leave, if Arsenals value of 40 million is so bad, then why are there not a stack of better offers on the table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Why are they saying the 40 plus 1 was cheeky and an insult?

What were arsenal meant to bid? 41 million?

They thought it was to activate a clause, so that bid was perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Arsenal's behaviour. Suarez's market value is rated at 37 million pounds, so Arsenal are offering over market value.

I can understand why Liverpool would be defensive but they are being delusional if they think he is worth anywhere near 60 million. For a player who clearly wants to leave, if Arsenals value of 40 million is so bad, then why are there not a stack of better offers on the table?

The 60 million price is if you view Arsenal as a rival who you're vying for the top four with.

Obviously here, we don't consider that to be the case but some do.

Nonetheless, it would be stupid for Arsenal to pay extra for such a factor. We pay what the player is worth to us, nothing more. If Liverpool think they need more money because the sale of Suarez will weaken their squad considerably, then that's their perogative.

Arsensl however will, and should, only price the player by how much he will improve our squad. Considering anything else would be stupid.

So is Suarez worth 60 million to Arsenal?

Probably not.

But it seems he isn't worth 60 million to anyone.

However with Liverpool falling over themselves saying his he's not got sale and everyone connected to Liverpool telling him it's not the right move, it seems they're really having to put a lot of effort into this one.

A simple 'he's not for sale, next question please' would be a lot stronger from Rodgers but he seems determined to discuss valuations at every chance.

Comparisons to Bale is insane though. Real pay for image and merchandise and are attracted to Bale cause he's young, British and marketable.

... not a rat faced buck tooth racist.

Arsenal fans laughing at another team claiming to be challenging for 4th.
    Careful now, if we have a bad start or aren't in the top 4 after a couple of weeks, the same idiots will be whinging in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote: »

As it stands, you can't really argue with that.

Rodgers seems confident Suarez is staying at Liverpool. I'd say unless Madrid come in he's staying put.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rodgers seems confident Suarez is staying at Liverpool. I'd say unless Madrid come in he's staying put.

He's staying put unless he submits a transfer request and/or we bid £50m. I hope one or the other happens but I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

rarnes1 wrote: »

He seems very rattled for someone who is confident

Soups123 wrote: »
    He seems very rattled for someone who is confident

Rattled in what way?

• Advertisement

He's staying put unless he submits a transfer request and/or we bid £50m. I hope one or the other happens but I'm not so sure.

This.

but I think the fact he dodged the dinner last night for Gerrard speaks volumes.
    Fact is we need a player (or players more accurately) of his quality to maintain our status. I think we can all agree that if we don't improve our first team and squad we look perilously close to losing our place amongst the CL clubs and the all the associated benefits that brings.
    I completely understand and agree with Wenger that he wants to bring through the young players etc but absolutely not at the expense of the clubs position. Especially when we actually DO have money to spend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement