Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

The Times reporting that Spurs are gonna make a bid for Suarez now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't there a dedicated thread for all this sh1te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nothing wrong with discussion transfers or rumours in the team threads either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Rattled in what way?

In what he said about Arsenal in his interview. If he wasn't worried about Arsenal getting him he wouldn't have bothered.

As for Spurs they are a sideways step can't see him going there at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd say Spurs would be an improvement for Suarez, however slight. I'd rate them as having a better chance of CL football next season than 'pool. We'd be a bigger step up. Champions League football off the bat.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    In what he said about Arsenal in his interview. If he wasn't worried about Arsenal getting him he wouldn't have bothered.

As for Spurs they are a sideways step can't see him going there at all

At this moment in time Spurs are stronger than Arsenal imo with their additions. Adding Suarez to their team and they'd be streaks ahead.

Arsenal could be seen as a sideways move too if you think Spurs is.

mike65 wrote: »

I wonder who are supposed to finish ahead of us? United, City and Chelsea I would imagine, but who then? A Baleless(?) Tottenham? Liverpool (sans Suarez?) Everton?

Newspapers have been gleefully predicting our fall from the top four for years now. Hasn't happened though. Not that it's a good idea to be making such decisions when the big transfers involving most of the big teams haven't happened yet. Between now and the big kick off we could have:
    • Rooney at Chelsea
    • Suarez at Arsenal
    • Fabregas at United
    • Bale leaving Spurs

Those are game changers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

At this moment in time Spurs are stronger than Arsenal imo with their additions. Adding Suarez to their team and they'd be streaks ahead.

Arsenal are already in the ECL. How is that in any way a sideways move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It comes down to whether he wants to play in CL this season or not. If joins us he would likely improve our team to such an extent that he'll play in CL this season and next season. If he joined Spurs he'd have to wait 12 months.

As an aside, isn't weird how last season, when we weren't in the top 4, Champions League football was touted as being the be all and end all, but now that we've secured it no one seems to give a rats ass?
    As a factor for Arsenal's attraction it barely gets a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Seriously how can you say this you haven't even seen the new signings play with spurs but you just magically come up with spurs are now better than arsenal?

Arsenal finished ahead of spurs and there is a reason why.

give it a rest seriously.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Arsenal are already in the ECL. How is that in any way a sideways move?

This season perhaps but next season it's far from certain and a title bid is unlikely. Do Arsenal have a qualifying round this season?

It comes down to whether he wants to play in CL this season or not. If joins us he would likely improve our team to such an extent that he'll play in CL this season and next season. If he joined Spurs he'd have to wait 12 months.

If he makes it at all. If Spurs sign him they won't have Bale, who was the reason they challenged for ECL qualification at all last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This season perhaps but next season it's far from certain and a title bid is unlikely. Do Arsenal have a qualifying round this season?

Yeah we do. Likely against PSV, Fenerbache or Real Sociedad. Tricky but winnable.

We do, but if Suarez was going to gamble on who is going to qualify why would he not just stay put? Maybe he realises it's to jump from the sinking ship.

It's always next season with you pool fans. Arsenal have been consistently stronger than Spurs for years, every year they are catching us. Spurs is a step up from Liverpool and Arsenal a step up again. Spurs have signed but will lose Bale. We will sign a couple one being Suarez I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm always surprised at just how much some supporters of other clubs underrate Arsenal.

Yeah we do. Likely against PSV, Fenerbache or Real Sociedad. Tricky but winnable.

That could be a reason for the delay tbf. Arsenal should get through but it's not a certainty

Galvasean wrote: »
    As an aside, isn't weird how last season, when we weren't in the top 4, Champions League football was touted as being the be all and end all, but now that we've secured it no one seems to give a rats ass?
    As a factor for Arsenal's attraction it barely gets a mention.

It doesn't seem to be much of an attraction as judged by this summer, maybe too many see Arsenal as treading water so unlikely to threaten much in the CL (or PL). Still, by Sept 2nd it may look quite different.

It doesn't seem to be much of an attraction as judged by this summer, maybe too many see Arsenal as treading water so unlikely to threaten much in the CL (or PL). Still, by Sept 2nd it may look quite different.

Suarez obviously doesn't. He seems eager to join us.

• Advertisement

Funny man :)

He is eager to exit Liverpool not join Arsenal. If Real or another top CL club came calling he'd leave us (and you) coughing in the dust.

Only because nobody else has bid. If Madrid show any interest he'll soon forget Arsenal.

A bid from Madrid for 40m would seal it too imo

Only because nobody else has bid. If Madrid show any interest he'll soon forget Arsenal.

He obviously sees Arsenal as a step up though. A pretty big step if he is considering going to court to make the move happen.

a bid of 40m would see 99% of players heading to Madrid.

He obviously sees Arsenal as a step up though. A pretty big step if he is considering going to court to make the move happen.

Arsenal are a step up from Liverpool. I certainly won't dispute that. I'd imagine it's still a step away from the level he wants to play at though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

While this is true, that bid isn't coming unless the Bale deal goes south. Hard to see Liverpool getting massive money for a want away player when there is only one club interested.

Baffled by Rodgers' comments. They're the ones leaking every single detail of this transfer saga, jokeshop.

Arsenal are a step up from Liverpool. I certainly won't dispute that. I'd imagine it's still a step away from the level he wants to play at though

Well we're agreed, i don't think theres a Gooner who doesn't know that IF (and it's still a big if) Suarez joins us he will be a short termer who'll leave if one of the big 3 (bayern, real, barca) come looking for him.
    Unless of course he falls in love with Giroud. He's that handsome, it could happen.

AdamD wrote: »
    While this is true, that bid isn't coming unless the Bale deal goes south. Hard to see Liverpool getting massive money for a want away player when there is only one club interested.

Liverpool are under no obligation to sell though

All comes down to how hard Suarez pushes really, wouldn't have thought he'd push overly hard if its just Arsenal but you never know with a character like him..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Reckon Liverpool will sell to anyone for enough cash. Too much talk of money and valuation from Rogers to believe otherwise.

Will Arsenal bid enough is the question

And that’s where we have the age old problem of is it better to cash in or to keep an unhappy, potentially disruptive player in the squad.

AdamD wrote: »

It would take stupid offer from Arsenal to land Suarez (one they won't make) and even they did, I'm starting to think the owners are willing to risk a sulky so and so for a season while the manager is probably calculating that he'll knuckle down once he sees he is at Liverpool for another season like it or not (I reckon he'll go 'on strike').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is there anything stopping suarez acting up and purposely playing crap until the January window, his value will come down and he won't be cup tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Tough enough that is, I would definitely be edgy if we drew PSV or Sociedad.

This is actually a very good read, classic Guardian predicting us for 5th though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

It would take stupid offer from Arsenal to land Suarez (one they won't make) and even they did, I'm starting to think the owners are willing to risk a sulky so and so for a season while the manager is probably calculating that he'll knuckle down once he sees he is at Liverpool for another season like it or not (I reckon he'll go 'on strike').

If Suarez does end up staying it will be interesting to see how he handles himself . Will he just get on with things? Will he go on strike. (has any player went on strike and lasted until January?). What other method of protest could he use? Missing clear cut chances on the field? haha prob not but you wouldnt know what a character like him could do

I think if he stays he’s such a competitive guy that once he’s on the pitch he’ll do the business for Liverpool.

They'll get a europa league place.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    And that’s where we have the age old problem of is it better to cash in or to keep an unhappy, potentially disruptive player in the squad.

Better to keep him tbh. If Liverpool sell to Arsenal it'd be stupid if they have any ambitions of getting into the CL spots in the next few years. It will ultimately get Rodgers the sack.

I'm always surprised at just how much some supporters of other clubs underrate Arsenal.

Didn't you know? We're the worst English team... in the Champions League.

Better to keep him tbh. If Liverpool sell to Arsenal it'd be stupid if they have any ambitions of getting into the CL spots in the next few years. It will ultimately get Rodgers the sack.

i'd be inclined to agree.
    As an aside what do you make of Rodgers' comments re a lack of Class at Arsenal? Do you think Arsenal have been in the wrong during this Saga?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well we're agreed, i don't think theres a Gooner who doesn't know that IF (and it's still a big if) Suarez joins us he will be a short termer who'll leave if one of the big 3 (bayern, real, barca) come looking for him.
    Unless of course he falls in love with Giroud. He's that handsome, it could happen.

I genuinely think his ability to get the opposition to question their sexuality will prove vital this season.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I genuinely think his ability to get the opposition to question their sexuality will prove vital this season.

it's a special talent. He leaves defenders feeling "confused" and feeling awkward in the showers at the end of the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Funny man :)

He is eager to exit Liverpool not join Arsenal. If Real or another top CL club came calling he'd leave us (and you) coughing in the dust.

So he's not eager to join Arsenal unless a super-club don't come in for him in ehich case, he is in fact eager to join Arsenal?

Amazing!!

i'd be inclined to agree.
    As an aside what do you make of Rodgers' comments re a lack of Class at Arsenal? Do you think Arsenal have been in the wrong during this Saga?

The lack of class comment was a strange one. No I don't think Arsenal have done a whole pile wrong. They are trying to get Suarez for as cheap as they can and Liverpool are trying to get as much as they can. Standard stuff really. The bid to supposedly release a clause was a bit of a head scratcher I suppose.

gosplan wrote: »
    So he's not eager to join Arsenal unless a super-club don't come in for him in ehich case, he is in fact eager to join Arsenal?

Amazing!!

No, he is eager to LEAVE club A (Liverpool), would like to join club B (Real) but would put up with club C (Arsenal) so as to leave club A.

Its a matter of emphases. :)

(nobody really wants to join Arsenal these days, except young chaps from the French league, if they did you'd not still be scratching around after Suarez)

I’m certain Suarez’ agent was blabbing to all and sundry about the “clause” without having secured it properly in the first place.
    You can’t spell agent with C U, N and T.

I’m certain Suarez’ agent was blabbing to all and sundry about the “clause” without having secured it properly in the first place.
    You can’t spell agent with C U, N and T.

He and his agent have tried to force their way out of a club before so it's not new territory. Rodgers said on record the other day that no clause exists. Surely though Arsenal and Liverpool could have communicated this without a bid being made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

(nobody really wants to join Arsenal these days, except young chaps from the French league, if they did you'd not still be scratching around after Suarez)

Grow up

No, he is eager to LEAVE club A (Liverpool), would like to join club B (Real) but would put up with club C (Arsenal) so as to leave club A.

Its a matter of emphases. :)

Yet Liverpool are even less appealing

so nobody wants to join one of the most succesful english clubs, with CL football, with money, with a bright future (not just a past), with one of the worlds most respected and succesful coaches, and play in front of 60k a week in one of the top cities in the world?

Come on Mike, trolling like that is beneath you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement