Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

I never wanted Suarez in the first place, but would love him now just to shut these moan bags up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'm not getting into any of this bull**** again today. It's just sad.

Any transfer rumblings today in any of the rags or online fellow gunners?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ignore list is your friend, chaps.

No transfer news today bar Arteta talking about how confident he is that there will be major additions to the squad before the window closes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Paulegend wrote: »

yes and when they eventually(a billion years from now as it feels) get 4th they wont be hoping to finish 4th every season. they will want to make the next step. wenger said that finishing 4th is more important than winning a cup. he is wrong.

im not saying that winning the micky mouse cup or getting to a final is teh best thing but its better than not competing at all

I would hope Arsenal are trying to make the step up this season by making a few signings in the next month or so. If they don't I'll be disgusted. They had to try and keep the club static over the last while because of the debts and such, that's why they've never tried to make the step up before now. Believe me, if you guys go ahead with a new stadium oyou'll know all about it.

If we won a league cup I'd celebrate but I'd still take competing in the CL every year over it if I was given the choice.
    and for the record arsenal like all the top clubs have started to take the cups seriously. last season they fielded strong teams in the cups

No we didn't. Take the Reading match for example. There were some first choice players in the squad but I don't think starting the likes of Gnabry, Arshavin, Djourou, Frimpong, Coquelin, Chamakh, Martinez and Miguel with Eisfield, Meade, Bellerin, Squillaci, Shea and Yennaris on the bench constitutes a particularly strong team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

jonny666 wrote: »
    You're really getting desperate!!

no just factual

ask everton how there champions league run was a few years back
    Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm not getting into any of this bull**** again today. It's just sad.

Any transfer rumblings today in any of the rags or online fellow gunners?

and you come on to forums for what exactly??? rumours???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

and you come on to forums for what exactly??? rumours???

Reasonable discussion

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ignore list is your friend, chaps.

No transfer news today bar Arteta talking about how confident he is that there will be major additions to the squad before the window closes.

Seems to be a lot of trials going on, midfielders in particular. Today it's a Moroccan named Alharbi El Jadeyaoui.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of trials going on, midfielders in particular. Today it's a Moroccan named Alharbi El Jadeyaoui.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTLDDEL3i9q2l5DMgbgRAbV_-Jz2ztuiSTaCVJtSowGzztB0h5SQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTLDDEL3i9q2l5DMgbgRAbV_-Jz2ztuiSTaCVJtSowGzztB0h5SQ

My sentiments exactly.

Why are all these scousers here? You know there's a summer transfer thread, yeah? And I believe there's even a dedicated Suarez saga thread somewhere, gathering dust.

Back to Arsenal.

When are we playing City and will Per and Kos be back? I presume the boss will be putting out the first team for that one?

• Advertisement

I would hope Arsenal are trying to make the step up this season by making a few signings in the next month or so. If they don't I'll be disgusted. They had to try and keep the club static over the last while because of the debts and such, that's why they've never tried to make the step up before now. Believe me, if you guys go ahead with a new stadium oyou'll know all about it.

If we won a league cup I'd celebrate but I'd still take competing in the CL every year over it if I was given the choice.

No we didn't. Take the Reading match for example. There were some first choice players in the squad but I don't think starting the likes of Gnabry, Arshavin, Djourou, Frimpong, Coquelin, Chamakh, Martinez and Miguel with Eisfield, Meade, Bellerin, Squillaci, Shea and Yennaris on the bench constitutes a particularly strong team.

so your saying that the team, against reading wasnt a strong team?? course it was. you had international players against reading................

me being a liverpool fan aside for a second i do think if ye sign suarez, ceaser and maybe fellani and baines you guys would actually be challenging at the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

accroding to Arsenal Mania, sourcing a pic from instagram:o, Bernard boarded a plane to London today!!

Clutching at straws atm!!:(

ulinbac wrote: »
    accroding to Arsenal Mania, sourcing a pic from instagram:o, Bernard boarded a plane to London today!!

Connecting flight to the Ukraine no doubt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

I hope its not the same plane Higuain reportedly got on.

Why are all these scousers here? You know there's a summer transfer thread, yeah? And I believe there's even a dedicated Suarez saga thread somewhere, gathering dust.

Back to Arsenal.

When are we playing City and will Per and Kos be back? I presume the boss will be putting out the first team for that one?

same reason arsenla fans visit many other forums in the soccer boards
    Soups123 wrote: »
    Reasonable discussion

and i was offering my 2 cents which i felt was pretty well put together to be honest. didnt attack arsenal or anything. noone forced you into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus whatever respect I have for Liverpool fans it is quickly being eroded with these "willy waving" posts that are starting to clog up this thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Why are all these scousers here?

TBF, it seems to be just the one

so your saying that the team, against reading wasnt a strong team?? course it was. you had international players against reading................

They conceded 5 goals (scored 7 in fairness though) and half the players I mentioned if not more have been shipped out and only 2 of them might have a future at the club. If you rate them that highly you should get on to Rodgers and convince him to take the rest off our hands :)
    me being a liverpool fan aside for a second i do think if ye sign suarez, ceaser and maybe fellani and baines you guys would actually be challenging at the top

Yeah I think we're about 4 players of that quality away too, but I'll believe it when i see it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If he's another Spurs signing... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I reckon we're after Rooney, Suarez and Cesc and all these are sagas that will drag on through August. Only when they end up elsewhere or state their allegiance to their current club will we look elsewhere. I think there's going to be a lot more angst amongst Arsenal fans for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Thank god I'm going on holidays this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Back to Arsenal.

What would be our starting 11 now?

Szcz
    Sanga Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Walcott Giroud Cazorla

or would Oxo go on the wing and Carzola go behind the striker with Ramsey and Wilshere fighthing for the spot beside Arteta?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »
    I reckon we're after Rooney, Suarez and Cesc and all these are sagas that will drag on through August. Only when they end up elsewhere or state their allegiance to their current club will we look elsewhere. I think there's going to be a lot more angst amongst Arsenal fans for a while yet.

Would be funny if arsenal got cesc and Rooney right under the nose of chelsea and united.

would 70m buy both rooney and cesc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

What would be out starting 11 now?

Szcz
    Sanga Mert Kos Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Walcott Giroud Cazorla

or would Oxo go on the wing and Carzola go behind the striker with Ramsey and Wilshere fighthing for the spot beside Arteta?

I think its this team too.
    Only potential changes for me are Podolski on the left or Rosicky at the front of the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

ronjo wrote: »
    I think its this team too.
    Only potential changes for me are Podolski on the left or Rosicky at the front of the midfield.

I actually forgot about Podolski.

I dont think Wilshere is goina be guaranteed a starting place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

From what I've read, Bernard was in Donetsk and now in London, supposedly off to Porto next. I'm very skeptical but also quite hopeful still :pac:

Gustavo is looking likely to head to Wolfsburg too, another one missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I actually forgot about Podolski.

I dont think Wilshere is goina be guaranteed a starting place

When Wilshere is fit he will start no doubt about that class act he is, himself and Cazorla are the only top class players in the team along with Kos.

Depends on where the players are after pre-season but it's certainly not guaranteed that Wilshere starts, considering he couldn't get into the starting eleven at the end of last season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

What i can't understand - especially from Liverpool fans - is how little credit Arsenal get for qualifying for the CL each year. It's not easy. I cant imagine any Arsenal support fooling themselves into thinking that our squad over the last few years has had the potential to challenge for the title. But to be so consistent while building a new stadium is almost unprecedented.

Liverpool and Spurs fans should know how hard it is to qualify for the CL - even for one year. Arsenal have been there year after year for ages.

If that isn't a barometer of the gap between the sides then I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Exclusive pic below.

1956-Large-11-5-stone-St-Bernard-Dog-Leaving-Dublin-on-Aer-Lingus-A84-A5147.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Hyzepher wrote: »
    But to be so consistent while building a new stadium is almost unprecedented.

This is the key thing that a lot of people don't seem to appreciate.

Obviously I accept that people honestly believe that it shouldn't be appreciated, but I for one think that it was a huge achievement. And it really sets the club up nicely to be able to compete with the extremely rich clubs in decades to come.

We would never have been able to compete with City, Chelsea, Barca, Real and many other clubs like that in years to come if we were still in Highbury.

Depends on where the players are after pre-season but it's certainly not guaranteed that Wilshere starts, considering he couldn't get into the starting eleven at the end of last season.

He was waiting to have ankle surgery, he wasn't going to be used unless it was necessary.

I'll be very annoyed if Cazorla is shoved out to the wing for much of the season.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    He was waiting to have ankle surgery, he wasn't going to be used unless it was necessary.
    Nah, he was dropped for footballing reasons. Wenger started him against Everton and West Brom, and then used him repeatedly as a sub in the remaining games. Against Newcastle and QPR he was brought on in the last minute, and against Wigan, he was brought on for the last 12 minutes when we were leading 4-1. You don't do that with a player at risk of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nah, he was dropped for footballing reasons. Wenger started him against Everton and West Brom, and then used him repeatedly as a sub in the remaining games. Against Newcastle and QPR he was brought on in the last minute, and against Wigan, he was brought on for the last 12 minutes when we were leading 4-1. You don't do that with a player at risk of injury.

He's done it before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would be funny if arsenal got cesc and Rooney right under the nose of chelsea and united.

would 70m buy both rooney and cesc?

I'd say no.

Utd reportedly offered 35 for Cesc and Barca said no and we've had a 30 total bid rejected for Rooney apparently.

So if you have to up the bids you're going to go over 70, maybe 75 or 80 is a tad more realistic for both players.

He had ankle surgery just a few weeks back, he obviously wasn't 100%. Wilshere in my opinion is a class above anything we have in the middle with the exception of Cazorla it would be crazy not to play him.

Didn't the Guardian report that Chelsea's new bid was for £25m?

I can't see him going for much more than 25-30. His wages reduce his transfer value too much, and I reckon if he agitates further for a move United will let him go for something in that region as the deadline beckons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What i can't understand - especially from Liverpool fans - is how little credit Arsenal get for qualifying for the CL each year. It's not easy. I cant imagine any Arsenal support fooling themselves into thinking that our squad over the last few years has had the potential to challenge for the title. But to be so consistent while building a new stadium is almost unprecedented.

Liverpool and Spurs fans should know how hard it is to qualify for the CL - even for one year. Arsenal have been there year after year for ages.

If that isn't a barometer of the gap between the sides then I don't know what is.

I think they get plenty of credit for it and I think it's all down to the manager you have. That's why so many liverpool fans and other teams fans were shocked at the way he was treated by some. Only some arsenal fans I said. But even see how your own standards have dropped, 7 or 8 years ago arsenal would not have seen a CL spot an achievement, it was a given.

liverpool fans dont put arsenal down about getting 4th. as youve said its quiet hard. but its also not as much of an achievement as is often made out by mr wenger

when a player retires do they count how many times they featured in the champions league or how many times they finished 4th??? or do they count how many medals they have for winning things?

arsenal may be in the champions league for over 15 years and counting but how many years where liverpool getting into champions league before they won it??

all im saying is that arsenal should be more competitive.

for years now wenger has said he has had money to spend and he has not spent.

higguain was all yers except ye wouldnt splash out the extra few quid. i know that ye have principles and didnt want to be taken advantage of by real but he was a player who ye could use. rooney was available at the start of the summer. baines fellani lewandowski and robben are all available. over the years players like sneijder drogs sanchez mata ahve all been available for prices lower than the suarez cost and instead of adding wenger just sold

now i realsie that arsenal have more money this season with the stadium so called paid off(a stadium ye pretended was paid for ye all those years ago) but things like sponsorships cash and tv revenue is cash that other teams in teh top 10 are also getting so unless your competing with wigan then the cash situation is the exact same.

• Advertisement

Didn't the Guardian report that Chelsea's new bid was for £25m?

I can't see him going for much more than 25-30. His wages reduce his transfer value too much, and I reckon if he agitates further for a move United will let him go for something in that region as the deadline beckons.

25million with add ons of reportedly 5million being performance related.

I think Rooney will be gone but given we've to play them at Old Trafford on August 26th I cant see him leaving for us anyway before then, if anyone else comes in with a similar offer of about 25-30 then I'd say he'll be off, you just never know really.

now i realsie that arsenal have more money this season with the stadium so called paid off(a stadium ye pretended was paid for ye all those years ago) but things like sponsorships cash and tv revenue is cash that other teams in teh top 10 are also getting so unless your competing with wigan then the cash situation is the exact same.

Theres not to many teams in the EPL with bigger grounds then Arsenal, 1 to be precise and there is not many more command the ticket price Arsenal do, the matchday revenue they generate is huge, compared to everyone bar Utd that is, they're ahead of most of the league when it comes to overall money generated.

Lets take the satdium for example, Liverpool, Chelsea and SPurs but to name 3 all will want to expand or build a new stadium to generate more income to balance the books according to the FFP, Arsenal are over that hump and theyve managed to at least stay competitive for the couple of years they paid it off.

As it stands the 3 above will have to spend a couple of hundred million to build a new stadium or expand on their current sites where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'll be very annoyed if Cazorla is shoved out to the wing for much of the season.

His best position he will play there with rosicky/wilshere in the "10"

His best position he will play there with rosicky/wilshere in the "10"

He's better in that position than either Wilshire (for now) or Rosicky and had his best games there imo. Would keep Pod on the left if we don't sign a winger only moving Caz out there if there's injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'm not a fan of Podolski because of the large minority or even slight majority of games where he is completely ineffective.

Obviously, some will disagree with me but as an Arsenal fan, I would expect more of a winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Podolski because of the large minority or even slight majority of games where he is completely ineffective.

Obviously, some will disagree with me but as an Arsenal fan, I would expect more of a winger.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

liverpool fans dont put arsenal down about getting 4th. as youve said its quiet hard. but its also not as much of an achievement as is often made out by mr wenger

No but it means that Suarez would rather come to us than stay at Liverpool. Despite your history, your cup runs and the attractiveness of Liverpool as a club, we offer European football at the highest level. And even if we're just the next stepping stone for a player, we're a step up from Liverpool because we offer that.

Now you can post and post abut whatever you want, but at the moment, that's the way things are. They weren't that way in the past and they might not be in the future but it's just the way things are now.

For some reason, (some) Liverpool fans get the knives out when they hear this and want to start a row ... but it's just the current reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He's better in that position than either Wilshire (for now) or Rosicky and had his best games there imo. Would keep Pod on the left if we don't sign a winger only moving Caz out there if there's injuries.

He had his best games from the left with rosicky in the centre, he can drift in and find more space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

He had his best games from the left with rosicky in the centre, he can drift in and find more space
    He really didn't, I posted a link to his games on the left and his assists pass completing goals, general play were all down nearly by half, his best position in midfield

• Advertisement

Really don't know why you think that tbh but you're entitled to your opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement