Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well if they put him in the reserves and arsenal buy another striker, they now have minus world class striker with no money to buy one and we would have strengthened.

Why would they do that? If nobody else is interested I think they'll have to sell. I'd just say they're praying somebody else does come in, even if it means selling on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They'd be far better off £20m down than selling one of the best strikers in the league to the team they're trying to catch. Really they're quite fúcked until someone else comes in for him. Even Chelsea or city. Hell, even united would be a better destination for him than arsenal. Their star striker is acting the dick and trying to force his way out and join the one club they don't want to sell to. They're more fúcked than arsenal were last season with van Persie and united.

Also what big signing could pool go for? I did not want Suarez a month ago but it's got to the stage now where there's no-one else left.

Last summer we had finished 3rd, United had finished 2nd. People forget that. And yet we sold the player of the season to them for £25m and they finished 19 pts ahead of us. We spent half the fee on Giroud, who is half the player that RVP is.

By comparison, Liverpool will get at least £40m and have already identified Douglas Costa as a new signing. It's a better deal than we got, although we were timid fools to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Anyone else feel that all Madrid had to do is come in with a bid of 35m and we are "left holding our dicks"?

Haven't heard anyone else say that nugget in a while.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They'd be far better off £20m down than selling one of the best strikers in the league to the team they're trying to catch.
    That's only assuming they'll actually catch us (and Spurs... and Everton) if they keep Suarez, which is a pretty big assumption. With him they were some way off, and there's a possibility he'd be a disruptive influence in the team and might not replicate last season's form.

He'd improve us (at least for a while!), but if they aren't going to overtake us then it makes no difference, and with the money they got from the sale they could sign a couple of promising players who down the line could leave them in a better position to get back into the CL.

dvemail wrote: »
    Anyone else feel that all Madrid had to do is come in with a bid of 35m and we are "left holding our dicks"?

Haven't heard anyone else say that nugget in a while.

They're pre-occupied but in a week or so I could see that. Especially if Morata is part of the Bale deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No, this is a public forum.

Your 2nd point makes no sense and sounds silly tbh.

If you were so concerned about whats going on at Arsenal where have ye been for the last few years? Ye are just pissing off the Arsenal fans with ye're dribble and from what I've see/read alot of the regular posters are staying away.

Understandably imo.

The Pool should just get rid of him, playing hard ball with Wenger isn't going to work. I can see Arsenal offering "Double-your-money" £45m but not a penny more.

Liverpool are just buying time with the hopes of another major club coming in for Suarez and try to get a bidding war going. Who that club is I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Looper007 wrote: »
    and helps us win a league.

classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

With stadium redevelopment to fund and consecutive 40million losses on the books they should take the Money from Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    With stadium redevelopment to fund and consecutive 40million losses on the books they should take the Money from Arsenal.

Jebus, are things that bad at Liverpool?

Any links?

If you were so concerned about whats going on at Arsenal where have ye been for the last few years? Ye are just pissing off the Arsenal fans with ye're dribble and from what I've see/read alot of the regular posters are staying away.

Understandably imo.

The Pool should just get rid of him, playing hard ball with Wenger isn't going to work. I can see Arsenal offering "Double-your-money" £45m but not a penny more.

Liverpool are just buying time with the hopes of another major club coming in for Suarez and try to get a bidding war going. Who that club is I dont know.

Not at all. In fairness it's a transfer that involves both clubs. Anyone is entitled to post constructively in here once they're not acting the dick.

I'm not sure will 45 be enough tbh

• Advertisement

Any links?
    Liverpool's financials are pretty confusing as they recently changed their accounting period and reported results for 10 months instead of 12, but their 2011/12 results were a loss of about £40m as I recall. It'll all be on Swiss Ramble.

Sooner this is all over so we can focus on getting others in the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Interesting that he could be doing all this to make his move to Madrid easier probably why he hasn't handed in a transfer request yet.

bad2dabone wrote: »

Liverpool are in line to make small profit this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Yeah selling Suarez to us :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I kind of feel bad about this one because Suarez is doing exactly what RVP did with his personal statement. He's basically trying to force the move through and massively massively weakening Liverpool's position.

I would be satisfied if he handed in a transfer request and forewent any loyalty bonus or anything else.

All that said, it's great for us.

This is a massive mess for Liverpool. It will dominate everything there until resolved. 40 million to make this mess go away must be beginning to look good.

Any links?
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/04/liverpool-accounts-debt-ian-ayre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

£40m loss plus the £40,000,001 sale of Luis Suarez = £1 profit.

The TV money increase alone isn't far off

• Advertisement

We could be getting played here badly.

I don't want to go into detail on your thread but the club has saved an incredible amount recently on wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:pac: always the glass half empty type aren't ya? I reckon you and speedboat should form a support group :P.

Both clubs could be

:pac: always the glass half empty type aren't ya? I reckon you and speedboat should form a support group :P.

It comes with supporting arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arsenal Fan's, We're a bleak bunch ain't we :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think we need to act quickly now. We should throw in a higher bid to ramp the pressure up and maybe clinch this deal so we can concentrate on strengthening the team in other areas.

Hah I'm actually fairly encouraged by tonight's developments! I think John W Henry is gonna rinse us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Increase the bid by giving them Bendtner for free. We'll pay his wages. £40,000,002.

Increasing our bid would be spectacularly stupid right now.

Apparently some guardian journo said on talkSport that we will raise our bid to 45m to push it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pudders wrote: »
    Increase the bid by giving them Bendtner for free. We'll pay his wages. £40,000,002.

We're trying to close the deal not kill it off permanently!

Don't know if any of ye have seen this yet.

BRBQACACQAEo-I-.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Increasing our bid would be spectacularly stupid right now.

Why? It might allow Liverpool to save some face while pushing the deal through before someone else comes in to get him

Remember last summer when the same journalists who are talking about Suarez's disloyalty tonight were irate at RVP's similar disloyalty after turning his back after one fit campaign at a club that stood by him after he broke down injury season after season?

Oh wait, that's not how the media spun RVP's leaving whatsoever. And they even had the gall to suggest we had sour grapes over his obviously ambitious and reasonable departure.

Why? It might allow Liverpool to save some face while pushing the deal through before someone else comes in to get him

If they won't let him go for what we offered they won't let him go for another £5 million. It's the same as some guy for Arsenal last year, coming out and saying this stuff makes their position at the club untenable.
    If what he's saying is true and the clause is there, it would be stupid to increase the offer.
    If there's no clause he's pretty much made sure he's leaving. They'd rather sell to a foreign club than us and I'm sure word would leak if another club made a lower offer.
    I can't see the benefit in upping the bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Reluctantly glad Suarez (hate modern day footballer mentality) has come out with his intentions. He should have done it sooner tbh - whoever has been advising him on this should be doing a better job.

Arsenal are in a precarious position. Do what it takes now to get it done within the 50 mil. Otherwise vultures will start looming on dead meat come the last stint of the window.

EDIT: Btw this is probable one of the most interesting/painful transfers our club has been involved in that I can remember. So much is riding on it's completion imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

dvemail wrote: »
    Yeah, at least if we do get him we won't be surprised when he pushes for a move to Madrid next season.

Why would they want him next season when they could get him now, probably cheaply?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Congrats to all arsenal fans tday who celebrate 3000 days without a trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yurt wrote: »

I know if we could only swap places with Wigan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Cheers appreciate it mate. Why don't you join us in the celebrations? Think you need some cheering up after the bad news you received last night! :-)

• Advertisement

I know if we could only swap places with Wigan :(

Or Birmingham...

Or Swansea...

Or Spurs...

Or Middlesborough...

Or Blackburn...

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Sorry Yurt, we are aiming higher than the Coca Cola cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Think this is the first time in my time as a gooner that we are actually buying a proven premier league goal scorer.
    That's quite exciting.

On the negative, I despise Suarez. The more I think about things, the more you'd wonder was there more to that bite than meets the eye. How long til he forces his way out on us?

We don't have vast cash reserves that we can afford to spend this amount of money and it not pay off.

Excited and apprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Suarez is done at Liverpool he called the manager a liar no going back

We should push this through before registration for the quailifer closes Monday night

See we're linked with the Dortmund midfielder

Please be true

Thanks buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Are you a liverpool fan?

Anyways i have many liverpool fans hating on arsenal recently.

I think those people are immature because a couple of my friends are pool fans and they dont act like that.

They expect Suarez to go and are not bitter if he goes to arsenal or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Are you a liverpool fan?

Anyways i have many liverpool fans hating on arsenal recently.

I think those people are immature because a couple of my friends are pool fans and they dont act like that.

They expect Suarez to go and are not bitter if he goes to arsenal or not.

this place wasn't exactly overflowing with goodwill gestures when v.persie went to man u, now was it.
    it's to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Suarez is done at Liverpool he called the manager a liar no going back

We should push this through before registration for the quailifer closes Monday night

See we're linked with the Dortmund midfielder

Please be true

was having a look a geoffarsenals' twitter there & he said something like 'i've a feeling there's bigger options for the midfield' can't remember exactly, but when asked if it was fabregas he meant the reply was 'no comment'

can you imagine suarez & fabregas, randy marsh pics in every post on here :D

geoffs also retweeting a post of his saying the the club made an enquiry about gundogan from before,
    also someone reckons because it's a john cross story that appears in, that him & geoff are the same person - made me laugh and at the same time give it some consideration :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

batistuta9 wrote: »
    was having a look a geoffarsenals' twitter there & he said something like 'i've a feeling there's bigger options for the midfield' can't remember exactly, but when asked if it was fabregas he meant the reply was 'no comment'

can you imagine suarez & fabregas, randy marsh pics in every post on here :D

geoffs also retweeting a post of his saying the the club made an enquiry about gundogan from before,
    also someone reckons because it's a john cross story that appears in, that him & geoff are the same person - made me laugh and at the same time give it some consideration :pac::pac::pac:

I refuse to even think about cesc and Suarez, mother of go imagine

But where will santi play if we sign cesc, cause he is crap LW according to some :):)

• Advertisement

I refuse to even think about cesc and Suarez, mother of go imagine

But where will santi play if we sign cesc, cause he is crap LW according to some :):)

Lads seriously were not signing cesc, and Suarez will be touch and go, I can still see them selling him to a foreign team, so no need for the Santi discussion he will be playing in the centre this season!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement