Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Nice to see Gary Neville once again talking sense and Pier Morgan looking like a twat as usual. Twitter for anyone that looking at the debate.

Morgan some man to talk out of his ass. Cretan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I agree completely, but I don't think we want him anymore and we could find ourselves in limbo if the dreaded scenario I put forward comes to pass. I think we should come back in with another Higuain bid and keep our options open rather than let Napoli potentially wrap it up.

To be honest though, if we don't want him then you have to trust the club.

I don't watch much Spanish football so you'd have to get opinions from elsewhere but it does worry me that City, PSG, Chelsea, Spurs, Monaco are all picking up strikers and not showing any interest and Real don't seem to want to keep him - not the president or the last two managers.

People don't seem to care though. His profile is big and that's what we're interested in for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have a Google for yourself about Arsenal Transfer Funds and you'll see the £70m figure is widely bandied about. Its been acknowledged by the club that a significant amount of funds are ringfenced in an account for transfers. Naturally they won't put a figure on it as, well, that'd be just plain stupid putting figures in the public domain as to what you have to spend.

On a commercial level; the new shirt deal with Emirates will generate £30m per year, an increase of £20m per year. The new kit deal with Puma is also £30m per year which is an increase of £22m. So straight off the bat there's £42m extra revenue per year. Throw in various other commercial deals plus the fact we have huge matchday income and you can easily see where a £70m budget comes from. That goes without taking into account the massive profits from transfers over the past few years which undoubtedly are in reserves somewhere.

Estimated Per Week Wages
    Mannone 20k = £1m
    Squillaci 50k = £2.6m
    Djourou 50k = £2.6m
    Santos 50k = £2.6m
    Coquelin 20k = £1m
    Denilson 50k = £2.6m
    Arshavin 70k = £3.6m
    Gervinho 50k = £2.6m
    Chamakh 50k = £2.6m
    Bendtner 50k = £2.6m
    Park 40k = £2m

Total is £25.8m

Fees from that amount to;

Gervinho £8m (Roma)
    Mannone £2m (Sunderland)

Total = £10m

Assuming Denilson and Santos required some kind of payoff amounting to ~1/2 of their salaries we'll deduct £3m from the above.

Leaving us with £32.8m.

Potential sales of Bendtner (£5m was agreed with Eintracht Frankfurt) and Djouoru (who has yielded £1m in loan fees already) should add a conservative £5m to that. We'll no doubt have to pay Chamakh off for his final year so I think £1.8m is fair to deduct as we won't release him and pay him his full years salary.

Thus we have £36m yielded from the above. Add this to our £70m calculation from earlier and you can see that AdamD wasn't far off the mark. £106m potentially available.

Did I use football manager for that? Nope. I got a calculator, did some rudimentary research and came up with a figure thats quite plausible, possibly even conservative.

There's no 'honest debate' there, just reasoned figures. You came in here sniping, attempted to qualify it by pulling figures out of your arse and then throwing a straw man at the end of it. Grow up tbh.

Sources;
    Transfer Prices: www.transfermarkt.com
    Wages: http://arsenaltruth.squarespace.com/arsenal-truth/2012/11/4/arsenals-1434m-wage-bill-exposed.html
    Emirates Deal: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/23/arsenal-emirates-airline-sponsorship-deal
    Puma Deal: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-arsenal-sign-biggest-kit-contract-britain-074924949.html
    Emirates Revenues: http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

The budget figure being used for transfers includes the cost of their wages over their contract I'm pretty sure. So 40m+10m or more in wages is actually quite a lot of money to go on one transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Maybe people see Spurs as having ambition and Arsenal as saving money.
    Wonder where they'd get that idea from :rolleyes:

Do United lack ambition? Because they've done just as much as we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Started up a Fantasy Football League for us Gooners, so if ye want to join the code is 371924-96395 :D

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

If you look at the bigger picture ie the signings they have made over the past few years compared to us then you would know they don't lack any ambition. Just lets hope we can get some quality in rather than quantity so we can push for a well deserved trophy next season!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think its poor to cast aside peoples opinions as football manager like but this war chest will most likely have to go towards wages too, its odd to see wages saved on outgoing players players being added into available funds otherwise as surely the 100k a week players you wont to sign will want to be payed.

It would be interesting to see if Arsenal have any more Bernard (assuming Arsene wasn't telling the truth and it is happening) like signings. Wenger likes to keep em quiet but that is still a big outlay for a player they would hope can make an impact on the first team. He wasn't rumoured really then the story broke and compared to other stories could get settled quickly without shananigans like Madrid seem to have pulled. Get in a more Defensive signing like Bernard and then a player of the ilk of Suarez or Higuain while keeping together your squad for once and bringing through more talent and Arsenal are doing well in my opinion. No matter who Arsenal sign it will still be hard next year as all the top 5 teams could be even better.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

jester77 wrote: »
    You could say the opposite about the Bayern game the following week. Bayern only lost 3 games all season and we cut them open.

I've heard the Bayern game referenced by a number of Gooner mates I know as some sort of measuring mark.

Bayern were cut open because of their poor mindset going into that 2nd leg. They clearly thought they could play play in first gear and play out the 90 mins doing that. Credit to Arsenal, they took advantage in that one game.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If you look at the bigger picture ie the signings they have made over the past few years compared to us then you would know they don't lack any ambition. Just lets hope we can get some quality in rather than quantity so we can push for a well deserved trophy next season!!

Well what I'm getting it is I don't understand why people are ****ting their pants cos Spurs signed a player or two during this window. Most teams apart from the usual (City, Chelsea) haven't done much in terms of quality signings we are/should be looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think its poor to cast aside peoples opinions as football manager like but this war chest will most likely have to go towards wages too, its odd to see wages saved on outgoing players players being added into available funds otherwise as surely the 100k a week players you wont to sign will want to be payed.

When I say transfer funds I'd include wages in that.

Well what I'm getting it is I don't understand why people are ****ting their pants cos Spurs signed a player or two during this window. Most teams apart from the usual (City, Chelsea) haven't done much in terms of quality signings we are/should be looking at.

I think its more concern than anything, that our closest rivals seem to be strengthening each year and holding onto there best players while we have seemed to be doing the opposite. I think its the history of our transfer dealings or lack of, that has fans ****ting their pants and people are only now starting to show there frustrations as they have simply ran out of patience. Lets hope we can get somebody in in the next week or so and you will see the mood lift in here for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think its more concern than anything, that our closest rivals seem to be strengthening each year and holding onto there best players while we have seemed to be doing the opposite. I think its the history of our transfer dealings or lack of, that has fans ****ting their pants and people are only now starting to show there frustrations as they have simply ran out of patience. Lets hope we can get somebody in in the next week or so and you will see the mood lift in here for the better.
    City Chelsea united don't need to strengthen as much as us, that's why they finished ahead of us and why we need to strengthen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

cson wrote: »
    Have a Google for yourself about Arsenal Transfer Funds and you'll see the £70m figure is widely bandied about. Its been acknowledged by the club that a significant amount of funds are ringfenced in an account for transfers. Naturally they won't put a figure on it as, well, that'd be just plain stupid putting figures in the public domain as to what you have to spend.

On a commercial level; the new shirt deal with Emirates will generate £30m per year, an increase of £20m per year. The new kit deal with Puma is also £30m per year which is an increase of £22m. So straight off the bat there's £42m extra revenue per year. Throw in various other commercial deals plus the fact we have huge matchday income and you can easily see where a £70m budget comes from. That goes without taking into account the massive profits from transfers over the past few years which undoubtedly are in reserves somewhere.

Estimated Per Week Wages
    Mannone 20k = £1m
    Squillaci 50k = £2.6m
    Djourou 50k = £2.6m
    Santos 50k = £2.6m
    Coquelin 20k = £1m
    Denilson 50k = £2.6m
    Arshavin 70k = £3.6m
    Gervinho 50k = £2.6m
    Chamakh 50k = £2.6m
    Bendtner 50k = £2.6m
    Park 40k = £2m

Total is £25.8m

Fees from that amount to;

Gervinho £8m (Roma)
    Mannone £2m (Sunderland)

Total = £10m

Assuming Denilson and Santos required some kind of payoff amounting to ~1/2 of their salaries we'll deduct £3m from the above.

Leaving us with £32.8m.

Potential sales of Bendtner (£5m was agreed with Eintracht Frankfurt) and Djouoru (who has yielded £1m in loan fees already) should add a conservative £5m to that. We'll no doubt have to pay Chamakh off for his final year so I think £1.8m is fair to deduct as we won't release him and pay him his full years salary.

Thus we have £36m yielded from the above. Add this to our £70m calculation from earlier and you can see that AdamD wasn't far off the mark. £106m potentially available.

Did I use football manager for that? Nope. I got a calculator, did some rudimentary research and came up with a figure thats quite plausible, possibly even conservative.

There's no 'honest debate' there, just reasoned figures. You came in here sniping, attempted to qualify it by pulling figures out of your arse and then throwing a straw man at the end of it. Grow up tbh.

Sources;
    Transfer Prices: www.transfermarkt.com
    Wages: http://arsenaltruth.squarespace.com/arsenal-truth/2012/11/4/arsenals-1434m-wage-bill-exposed.html
    Emirates Deal: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/23/arsenal-emirates-airline-sponsorship-deal
    Puma Deal: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-arsenal-sign-biggest-kit-contract-britain-074924949.html
    Emirates Revenues: http://swissramble.blogspot.ie/
    The Puma deal doesn't kick in until next year, but you've left out the rather massive increase from the new PL TV deal, that is available now.

Minor thing but our old Emirates deal is commonly said to be £6.8m a year, so it's more like a £23m a year increase there.

One other thing is that not I'm not sure how player sales are accounted for, but I expect they're probably written down against the remainder of the player's remaining contract, as they're a one off item and would give a false sense of your potential spending power if accounted for all at once.

Finally I don't think there's a great deal of relevance regarding how much the club has ring fenced away. It's good that we've got a large cash surplus as it means we don't need to borrow to buy and can also pay up front if we like, but it's not our cash balance that dictates how much we can spend, it's how much we earn. You could have £10bn in the bank but unless you have a huge income, you can't spend it or you'll come unstuck with FFP.
    It's not odd really. Wages and transfer fees all come out of the same pot.

City Chelsea united don't need to strengthen as much as us, that's why they finished ahead of us and why we need to strengthen.

Yeah that's what I am saying all along mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Yeah that's what I am saying all along mate.

Sorry that was in response to the post you were also responding too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FFS United finished 19 (NINETEEN) points ahead of us last season AFTER buying our best player. Nuff said :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

FFS United finished 19 (NINETEEN) points ahead of us last season AFTER buying our best player. Nuff said :rolleyes:

Not really Ferguson is gone and he was a master at getting the best from some average players he's gone now. Be interesting to see what Moyes does with that squad as he is clearly struggling to get players in at the moment.

The man formerly known as AFCcamden just tweeted Suarez11 the cryptic bastard :pac:.

Jesus enough of the roll eyes crap already. Despite that, United ARE in need of some signings with the new manager and even they haven't managed to get anyone in yet.

And then you keep going on about spurs who yes have made a couple of decent signings but still face the real possibility of losing their best player.

• Advertisement

Shiit maybe we can start believing just a little bit?

DC ‏@DLDN22 3m Reason for my excitement is I've just had it from a top source that Suarez is "9/10 joining Arsenal" #afc

DC ‏@DLDN22 3m Reason for my excitement is I've just had it from a top source that Suarez is "9/10 joining Arsenal" #afc

Hmmm, he hasn't really been predicting very much lately though has he?

Tim Payton seems to think things are going to start picking up a bit now too in general though.

[edit] Also good to see that it seems Real are more concerned with Bale at the minute. Or at least Marca is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hmmm, he hasn't really been predicting very much lately though has he?

Yeah, he'd been very quiet and steered clear of saying anything. Was kind of under the impression he no longer had a source.

Jesus enough of the roll eyes crap already. Despite that, United ARE in need of some signings with the new manager and even they haven't managed to get anyone in yet.

And then you keep going on about spurs who yes have made a couple of decent signings but still face the real possibility of losing their best player.

Well some people mentioned that we lost our best player and still finished in that coveted (why?) 4th place too. They might actually not lose Bale. Either way they are strengthening and will pose more of a problem next season.
    We all know United were much better than us last year too as the table doesn't lie so obviously our position is still worse than theirs.

We need players and that's a given. We cannot rely on 16 year olds as back-up either for the players we have let go. Their time will come but now is too soon.

AdamD wrote: »
    Yeah, he'd been very quiet and steered clear of saying anything. Was kind of under the impression he no longer had a source.

Nah from what I gathered from conversations between him and GeoffArsenal was that he decided to keep quiet mostly because of the hassle he got anytime he opened his mouth he still has his sources.

Just look at what happens anytime Geoff opens his mouth he get so many people messaging him and not all are nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Nah from what I gathered from conversations between him and GeoffArsenal was that he decided to keep quiet mostly because of the hassle he got anytime he opened his mouth he still has his sources.

Just look at what happens anytime Geoff opens his mouth he get so many people messaging him and not all are nice.

They do have to put up with a lot of stick. A lot of people out there have nothing better to do than to belittle someone who is actually trying to give us genuine information that they believe to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought this was funny enough:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thought this was funny enough:

Poor Ramsey gets a lot of stick about his speed. When they were videoing the running man guy they were making jokes that he was faster than Ramsey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

AdamD wrote: »

As someone who didnt/doesnt follow him on twitter who or what has he been right about in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Well some people mentioned that we lost our best player and still finished in that coveted (why?) 4th place too. They might actually not lose Bale. Either way they are strengthening and will pose more of a problem next season.
    We all know United were much better than us last year too as the table doesn't lie so obviously our position is still worse than theirs.

We need players and that's a given. We cannot rely on 16 year olds as back-up either for the players we have let go. Their time will come but now is too soon.

If you don't know why it is important to finish in the top 4, it's probably best you step away from the computer for a while and have a think about it. It will probably also have the added benefit of people not getting your hopes up with BS twitter rumours, which just make all of us more depressed in the long run.

farna_boy wrote: »
    If you don't know why it is important to finish in the top 4, it's probably best you step away from the computer for a while and have a think about it. It will probably also have the added benefit of people not getting your hopes up with BS twitter rumours, which just make all of us more depressed in the long run.

I thought my point was obvious i.e. that we should be challenging for the title and not always content with Top 4.
    But if you didn't get it .....

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    As someone who didnt/doesnt follow him on twitter who or what has he been right about in the past?

It's mainly injuries and stuff he has gotten right from what I remember, stuff like Wilshere having a setback. Think he knew about signing Santos before anyone else and maybe Cazorla too?

It's mainly injuries and stuff he has gotten right from what I remember, stuff like Wilshere having a setback. Think he knew about signing Santos before anyone else and maybe Cazorla too?

Yeh see people always throw that in GeoffArsenal face all you know is injuries etc but all that proves is they have a source withing the club when they can get injuries right and teamsheets.

Transfers they havent always been right but you can be sure when one of them says were in for a player were interested just because it doesnt always come off don't mean they were wrong.

For me they would be the two most credible sources for Arsenal news over anyone or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Here are a few of his most retweeted tweets or something to that extent.

http://favstar.fm/users/geoffarsenal

He does teamsheets and injuries very well, but is 50-50 when it comes to transfers it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have to say, I would **** myself.

In terms of what we need and what we lacked last year, Suarez would be one of the top 3/4 players in the world for us to sign. Admittedly though I haven't seen much of Falcao and Cavani.

I get people have issues with him but he'd be sooo good for us.

He even had the obligatory odd game where he takes 20 shots but doesn't score. He's made for us.

I have to say i think all these twitterati's that claim they are close to Arsenal are just taking shots in the dark at this stage. Some they get right and most they dont.

I have to say i think all these twitterati's that claim they are close to Arsenal are just taking shots in the dark at this stage. Some they get right and most they dont.

I agree on most apart from Geoff Arsenal and AFCCamden no way they get injuries, squads etc right all the time without knowing someone. AFc Camden was also the first to announce Wilshere would be given the number 10 and got slated for it until it turned out to be true.

AFCCamden is also well known for having Arsenal stuff up on ebay for sale including many a signed jersey signed by the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Arseblog and co calling the Suarez thing the most divisive thing in recent memory.

what you think?

personally I think anyone who wouldn't want him is short a few screws and anyone who thinks the club is better than him could do with a look at the behaviour on and off the field of some of our best ever players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I thought my point was obvious i.e. that we should be challenging for the title and not always content with Top 4.
    But if you didn't get it .....

It wasn't even remotely obvious. You said:
    Well some people mentioned that we lost our best player and still finished in that coveted (why?) 4th place too...

i.e. why is it coveted that we finish fourth?

There isn't one Arsenal fan in this thread happy that we are not competing for the title every year. Most of us realise though that as long as we finish in the top four, that is the next most important thing. Admittedly the higher we finish in the league the better, but in the end as long as we qualify for the Champions League, it doesn't really matter if we were 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Arseblog and co calling the Suarez thing the most divisive thing in recent memory.

what you think?

personally I think anyone who wouldn't want him is short a few screws and anyone who thinks the club is better than him could do with a look at the behaviour on and off the field of some of our best ever players.

At this stage, we need someone top class and yes while he has undesirable disciplinary record, he does fit the bill in terms of being a proven goalscorer.

Higuain looks dead in water so we just have to move on to the next targets. Shocked there isnt more interest in Lewandowski especially as his own move to Bayern has broken down.

What will happen if Gibbs gets injured now though that Monreal is out? and Verm is also injured so he cant cover there if Gibbs gets injured? A defender is looking a big priority at this minute. Williams in fairness to him would be a decent squad player but perhaps we need someone thats more versatile across the back four?

Given that Flamster is looking to come back to the Premier league, has played left back before and covers alot of ground per game, would he be worth a punt? Id have no problem with him coming back tbh. I mean we would have no problem with Cesc so why not Flamster?

• Advertisement

He's not very good, that's why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

[quote="[Deleted User];856511

Higuain looks dead in water so we just have to move on to the next targets. Shocked there isnt more interest in Lewandowski especially as his own move to Bayern has broken down.

Dortmund never entertained bids for him. He joins bayern next summer on a free

Didnt get his game with Milan but still a reasonable squad player to cover an injury or two id imagine.

stuchyg wrote: »

Dortmund never entertained bids for him. He joins bayern next summer on a free

Bit silly of Dortmund though to be fair maybe it will be worth more to them to keep him for this season then command a fee that few will meet. Surely though they'd get over 25 for him if we got 24m for RVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Bit silly of Dortmund though to be fair maybe it will be worth more to them to keep him for this season then command a fee that few will meet. Surely though they'd get over 25 for him if we got 24m for RVP?

Van Persie is and was far better than Lewandowski, Lew is hyped up so much atm

Fee would be less or similar

But you also think Rosicky is sh*te in fairness.

But you also think Rosicky is sh*te in fairness.
    And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I'd imagine they didn't sell as bayen had just bought gotze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

We must strengthen if we want to win the league.
    Bringing in Flamini will not change much.

• Advertisement

Flamini can go and fook off, he wasn't too slow about ditching us for Milan a few years back after we made him the player he was, hope to jaysus we don't take him back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement