Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I honestly think our targets are identified and pre-negotiations have taken place ... I think the Suarez thing is holding everything up ... "OK Wayne - you'll be a key player for us linking with Fellani and Suarez and supplying Theo and Giroud ... we'll be rotating our forward/midfield between yourself/Podolski and Ox and we'll be resting Jack from time to time ... you'll be playing more or less the "Bergkamp" role ... is that ambitious enough for you Wayne to accept £200k a week ... of course they'll be bonus payment if and when we win either the CL or Premiership ..."

How's that for optimism :D ...

If we all stop reading the fcuking Mail, Sun, Mirror, Arsenal Rumours ... shi - ite things wouldn't seem as bad ... Wenger will buy who he thinks will improve our team ... not some newspaper hacks fancy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What has 10 million got to do with anything? You do know we got Gilberto Silva for 3.5 million. Price hasn't got a thing to do with quality, circumstances have him at such a cheap price especially as Bayern have splashed out on Goetze and Thiago.

Chelsea are in for him as well.

I seem to have always been of the opinion that price has a lot to do with quality. The players with more quality go for more money.

Of course, you can find some undiscovered talents going at small prices.

Also, I assume your only back-up to Chelsea being in for Gustavo is the rumours in the newspapers. In that case, you should be delighted with all of the players Arsenal are in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Raf32 wrote: »
    Supposedly signed El Jadeyaoui, if you dont laugh you will cry :pac:

It's his birthday today. Happy birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cathalio11 wrote: »
    It's his birthday today. Happy birthday!

Its mine as well. Where's my signing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You read way to much into things ;), relax it's Perez doing his usual playing media games whilst making it very obvious he's interested in the player.

Once again not one mention of an interest in Suarez ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Have never been to The Emirates unfortunately but I will be going in October for the Norwich game buzzing for it :D

Enjoy the game and give yourself some time before and after the game to enjoy the Emirates - the Highbury Barn is a good place before and after for pints, food and a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Would Arsenal fans be happy to see Suarez at the club?

I'm baffled as to why Arsenal are interested; he is excellent but such a liability, he has had major bans in his last two seasons and is starting this one with his ten game ban still to finish.

Why Arsene? :confused:

• Advertisement

Would Arsenal fans be happy to see Suarez at the club?

I'm baffled as to why Arsenal are interested; he is excellent but such a liability, he has had major bans in his last two seasons and is starting this one with his ten game ban still to finish.

Why Arsene? :confused:

Why Arsene...

Well because as much as I admitted at the start of the summer I would have prefered Higuain less drama and baggage, but despite Suarez being a headcase he was arguably the best player in the EPL last season he would improve us massively be a huge signal of intent and really help other players and clubs sit up and pay attention to Arsenal once more.

He is exactly what we need on the pitch and off it to attract a higher quality player to the club and make us an attractive option once again.

Of coarse it would be for any player in the world Madrid and Barcelona would be viewed as the pinnacle ahead of United or Bayern it's a no brainer.

But the bit you missed to point out is he admits the has been no contact what so ever from Madrid regards a move to the Bernebau ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Was mentioned in here a few weeks back but is anybody going to the Mercantile to watch our games, may head in next Saturday for a few scoops for the Villa match.

i'll be at the emirates next Saturday but I'll be defo up for a beer in the mercantile for other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Gervinho is officially gone. That's one striker less on the books. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dvemail wrote: »

Yeah but when is Bentner going!!! At least it will be a consolation when he is removed from the roster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

8 more million, just throw it at Liverpool for Suarez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

gandalf wrote: »
    Yeah but when is Bentner going!!! At least it will be a consolation when he is removed from the roster!

That is the big one, massive celebrations whenever it finally happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Apparently John W Henry quotes will be in the papers tonight. I don't think that's a good thing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'll be at the emirates next Saturday but I'll be defo up for a beer in the mercantile for other games.

Cool man I am gonna try get in for the games as much as I can heard thats were the fan club meets up id say its good banter in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What quotes are they ? and why would it be bad for us...I swear this whole transfer sage is backwards as hell, we've said flip all about Suarez bar 1 or 2 lines from Wenger

But Liverpool by **** have they talked the **** out of it, from players ,to managers to ex players to other bloody managers with no stake in all this and there putting arsenal down too most of them the whole thing is a joke

Rodgers can't keep his mouth shut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Ive never read so much from Michael Owen in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

dvemail wrote: »

What is the point of celebrating when there arent any replacements?:rolleyes:

So anyone up for meeting in the Mercantile for the Villa game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Quote:
    Henry says he warned Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis before Arsenal offered £40,000,001 that there was no prospect of any deal between clubs fighting for the same Champions League places.

Liverpool rank Arsenal as the last club they would negotiate with, especially following their provocative bid designed to activate an exit clause, which the Anfield board are adamant does not exist.

Henry says even it is too late even to consider a bid from overseas because there is no time to sign an alternative of Suárez’s class.

The South American now faces isolation, left to determine how he can rehabilitate himself into the squad after the transfer window, although he told Spanish newspaper Marca he still wanted an amicable resolution. “My aim is to reach an agreement with the club in a friendly manner and I hope the clause we agreed a year ago is fulfilled,” he said.

But the message from Henry was blunt. “We are not going to sell Luis. It’s a football reason. It’s not finances. At this point, so late in window, with everyone who’s already moved or isn’t moving, we do not have time to replace him.

“So for football reasons we can’t – and especially to Arsenal. We’ve made that clear. I have said to Ivan Gazidis in a personal conversation that we will not sell to Arsenal. It is unequivocal, but that doesn’t seem to slow them down so I can’t wait to see what the next bid is.
    “We’re not in Europe this year and have not been in the Champions League for a while. To sell to a rival for those Champions League positions, or one of them, would be ludicrous. Whatever the bid is, we won’t sell him. We need Luis. Hopefully this will pass.”
    Suárez trained alone at Melwood again yesterday, banished for publicly criticising the club for not selling him.
    Liverpool would rather keep the player against his will than allow him to damage their top-four aspirations by moving to the Emirates, and Henry is livid the confidential details of Suárez’s contract were shown to the Arsenal board.
    “It should have been confidential, so absolutely it concerns me,” said Henry. “How does a club that doesn’t have permission to speak with your player see his contract?
    “Unfortunately, it’s the way it works in football. People don’t speak about it publicly but that’s the way it’s run. It’s how things are done. I don’t think there’s a point reporting Arsenal because it just seems to happen everywhere, throughout football.
    “I think Gordon Taylor is right when he says it’s not good for either side to have any clause. It’s not good for football and maybe the Professional Footballers’ Association can do something about this.”
    Liverpool’s despair is accentuated by the fact that they have stood by Suárez through his numerous tribulations, but Henry believes there is a way back into the fold once his ­current suspension for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic is over.
    “That’s going to be between the manager and player,” said Henry. “The manager is upset, as he should be, the supporters are, Luis is, but that’s going to be between those two and his team-mates. He’s one of the best players in the world. I have no reason to believe he won’t continue to be.
    “If you look at the full context of what’s happened here, it’s jarring to all our supporters. The club has stood by him so strongly at a time you could question whether the club should have stood by him, but they did.
    “There’s a saying in baseball about loyalty to the uniform. There’s a ­certain feeling you get when you put on a uniform as a baseball player and I’m certain it’s the same for most football players. When you put on the uniform it’s pretty special. I’d imagine for most footballers to put on the uniform of Liverpool Football Club is a big moment.”
    Henry says Liverpool are still working on deals for new recruits – one of which is understood to be the £24million purchase of the Brazilian striker Diego Costa from Atlético Madrid – and finishing in the Premier League top four remains the ambition this season.
    The Merseyside club’s global support was demonstrated during their recent tour of Australia and the Far East, but Henry insists it is essential that they consolidate on such enduring appeal with one-field success.
    “This club can’t not be in the Champions League,” he said. “It needs to be playing in Europe. It needs to be playing in the Champions League. That’s what Liverpool Football Club is about.
    “I have high expectations. We had a very good second half of last season and the reports from training and the feeling within the club among the players is good. I think we will ­surprise people this year. It will be disappointing if we don’t.
    “The reality was there were 95,000 people watching us in Melbourne.
    “It may well be romantic. Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That’s why I think this particular episode is misguided.
    “The message is that the club is heading in the right direction. This episode is not going to stop us. That’s what we are all focused on right now.”

Deal sounds dead to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just watched a thing there on itv about the champions league and it gave a brief rundown on our journey to the final in 2006, Im being real nostalgic here but what a team we had, i was never so gutted as I was at the end of that final

Lehmann
    Eboue
    Toure
    Campbell
    Cole
    Pires
    Silva
    Fabregas
    Hleb
    Ljungberg
    Henry

Almunia, Senderos, Bergkamp, Van Persie,Clichy, Flamini, Reyes (some bench to have!)

Game over for Suarez. Now lets see if Arsene has a Plan C. I very much doubt it. I think he'll use the 'well, we tried in the summer market with a club record bid...' excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

AdamD wrote: »
    Deal sounds dead to me

I dunno does Henry know fuk all about it anyway.

Lets just all now move on pronto, if it is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

AdamD wrote: »
    Deal sounds dead to me

has he just said in that, that arsenal have seen the contract - meaning arsenal even think there's a clause in it & at the start of the story it says l'pool deny it exists

:confused::confused::confused:

Surprise surprise I said this 2 months ago, we were never gonna get Suarez, should have just got higuan, if us supporters knew this deal wouldn't happen how the **** can Wenger and co get it wrong, negligent isn't the word, joke is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

This transfer window lumbers from 1 enormous f*ck up to the next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just watched a thing there on itv about the champions league and it gave a brief rundown on our journey to the final in 2006, Im being real nostalgic here but what a team we had, i was never so gutted as I was at the end of that final

Lehmann
    Eboue
    Toure
    Campbell
    Cole
    Pires
    Silva
    Fabregas
    Hleb
    Ljungberg
    Henry

Almunia, Senderos, Bergkamp, Van Persie,Clichy, Flamini, Reyes (some bench to have!)

I remember being devastated after that final. Campbell goal will stand out in my memory forever :o Could recap all of the big moments from memory and its probably been 6 or 7 years since I watched highlights or anything :P

Great team, could only dream of that now. Better than probably all the current PL teams though

"Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That's why I think this particular episode is misguided. We've won more trophies than Arsenal, but I really don't want to get into that."

What a stupid *****.
    Shows his knowledge of football as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

**** it like, im sick of it.

Liverpool can **** up if they think they look good ot of this, their best player wants to join us and they are forcing him to stay so they can get in the top 4 and bring back the 'famous European nights'. Well an actual club who doesn't boast and act like a shower of tools sells their best player and sill manages to do it.

Standard Liverpool nobody is bigger than the club sanctimonious bull as well with all their Shankly spirit. If nobody is bigger than the club sell the player and stop talking rot as usual.

Suarez isn't worth this anymore, let him rot in the reserves or whatever and let us move on. The club did try in fairness but I honestly don't see the point in dealing with it.

Ah well, there's always that 27-year-old Romanian striker reject from Schalke. Wenger knows best.

Its just us that sells our best players to our rivals, even liverpool have more balls than us, were a laughing stock to other clubs, sick of it at this stage.

It's over.
    An utter shambles this transfer window is.

In Arsene We Trust:pac:

Its just us that sells our best players to our rivals, even liverpool have more balls than us, were a laughing stock to other clubs, sick of it at this stage.

Exactly. We really are a laughing stock, no getting around it. We just assumed that Liverpool would sell because Arsenal will sell any player to any club if the players wants to leave and you pay up.

Liverpool and Spurs have been very shrewd this summer and my fear is that if Bale and Suarez stay, we could even be staring at sixth. Wenger and the board have proven to be utterly incompetent and the first person to chime in with "Patience..." tonight should realise just how much they and we have been led up a garden path. £80m+ to spend to consolidate our CL future and next week all we might see are 2-3 unknowns arriving on free transfers. Pathetic.

In Arsene We Trust:pac:

he's in charge of too much at the club. What I wouldn't give for the likes of Dean to be Director of football

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    has he just said in that, that arsenal have seen the contract - meaning arsenal even think there's a clause in it & at the start of the story it says l'pool deny it exists

:confused::confused::confused:

Yeah thought that was strange too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

We're ****ed. That's all she wrote for Wenger also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The club are seriously going to have to pull something spectacular out of the hat in the next few weeks or there'll be absolute murder.

Not that it really matters, butwhat I don't get about this clause business. It supposedly says that if a bid over 40m is made then Liverpool have to at least sit down and consider the bid with the team making it. However they seemingly have rejected it out of hand and won't even consider it according to themselves, which surely is then in breach of the clause? If not then there is absolutely no point whatsoever to it, as it seemingly can't be breached by Liverpool.

The club are seriously going to have to pull something spectacular out of the hat in the next few weeks or there'll be absolute murder.

Not that it really matters, butwhat I don't get about this clause business. It supposedly says that if a bid over 40m is made then Liverpool have to at least sit down and consider the bid with the team. However they seemingly have rejected it out of hand and won't even consider it according to themselves, which surely is then in breach of the clause? If not then there is absolutely no point whatsoever to it, as it seemingly can't be breached by Liverpool.

There's nobody spectacular left. Being a complete realist here, we are looking at Wenger's last season and Europa League in 2014/15. He doesn't have the will, inclination or avilable talent pool to turn it around at this point in the summer.

Haha for Fcuk sake, that was the most predictable press release ever and so was the hyperbole reaction from Liverpool and arsenal fans.

Us Arsenal fans should know better we have heard all this before Nasri, RVP etc relax he's hardly going to admit Yeh were going to sell him, all he is doing is trying to drive up the prive of his player in the same way we did. anyone who really thinks Suarez will be a Liverpool player next season after everything that has gone on is off there rocker.

What an absolute mess.

• Advertisement

Not that it really matters, butwhat I don't get about this clause business. It supposedly says that if a bid over 40m is made then Liverpool have to at least sit down and consider the bid with the team. However they seemingly have rejected it out of hand and won't even consider it according to themselves, which surely is then in breach of the clause? If not then there is absolutely no point whatsoever to it, as it seemingly can't be breached by Liverpool.

Still doesn't mean they have to sell, simple as that, I respect them for sticking to their guns.

Haha for Fcuk sake, that was the most predictable press release ever and so was the hyperbole reaction from Liverpool and arsenal fans.

Us Arsenal fans should know better we have heard all this before Nasri, RVP etc relax he's hardly going to admit Yeh were going to sell him, all he is doing is trying to drive up the prive of his player in the same way we did. anyone who really thinks Suarez will be a Liverpool player next season after everything that has gone on is off there rocker.

its like a broken record at this stage, were not getting him especially now with Henrys comments, he would look like the biggest fool ever to say those things then go ahead and sell him to arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I can tell we're not far away from tears in here :P

It's like you don't remember the amount of crap written about players we sold before they left. At one stage last summer RVP was staying, this really doesn't make a flying **** of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ok ok calm down

He said the same before the sold Torres

Liverpool will sell Suarez

Hopefully it's to us

TheGunns wrote: »
    I can tell we're not far away from tears in here :P

It's like you don't remember the amount of crap written about players we sold before they left. At one stage last summer RVP was staying, this really doesn't make a flying **** of a difference

Well we sold 5 players to our rivals were well known for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement