Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK I think I am going to stay out if this thread until the season actually starts. Reading some of the so called opinions here is actually giving me the beginnings of an ulcer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

farna_boy wrote: »
    I know people and aren't happy about it and just see it as panic buying, but I don't expect to see any more transfers before 31st of August.

Even if it is "panic buying", if we can get players of similar quality as we did the last time we panic bought, i.e. Arteta, Mertesacker and to a lesser extent Bennayoun, I will be more than happy.

Santos and park? Panic buying isn't really good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And then United finished 19 pts ahead of us with RVP and we secured 4th by one point on the final day of the season. Yep, well done us.

Better 4th than 8th. Selling RVP may have hurt our pride but it was the right decision for a player in the last year of his contract.

greendom wrote: »
    Better 4th than 8th. Selling RVP may have hurt our pride but it was the right decision for a player in the last year of his contract.

He practically forced a move also with his public statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

8th?! RVP would've played week in, week out, just as Lewandowski is going to this season for Dortmund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What kind of fans are ye??

I will be there next Saturday regardless of who is signed or what 11 takes to the field

I will sing my heart out

I will do the same everytime I go over regardless of how the season is going

I'm a fan of arsenal football club and proud of it

Nothing or no one will stop me from supporting my club and been there every chance I get

Top man. I wouldnt miss the game in October for the world, just a bit frustrated with the way things have gone in the transfer window especially after Gazidis making that statement and giving us false hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yep correct decision because if he had left on a free this summer that would have been 29m less to invest in the squad........oh wait.

8th?! RVP would've played week in, week out, just as Lewandowski is going to this season for Dortmund.
    p

Who knows what would have happened had we played hard ball. How it would have affected the squad and the player. Let's see how Suarez pans out

Yep correct decision because if he had left on a free this summer that would have been 29m less to invest in the squad........oh wait.

And we'd be starting this season without 3 excellent players we bought with the RVP money last Summer

I am waiting because I know decent signings will be made before the window closes

Will be interesting to see how that pans out. It would seem Dortmund have valued Lewandowski's goals of more potential worth then any fee they might get and while its a gamble i reckon Lewandowski will be good to hit in or around last years tally provided he stays fit.

• Advertisement

And we'd be starting this season without 3 excellent players we bought with the RVP money last Summer

I am waiting because I know decent signings will be made before the window closes

Was RVP not sold after all those players came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Maybe just maybe if you boys had put in a proper bid of 50m or more instead of that pisstake for suarez eh!!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Was RVP not sold after all those players came in?

Yes but I'm almost certain they were made knowing that RVP was going. A plan that worked - it can be done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Seeing that Henry also stated that Torres wouldn't be sold, I'd take his ramblings with a pinch of salt. I did enjoy the childish "we've won more trophies than them" jibe though.

"Players usually want to win. They want to go, generally in any sport, where they can win. That's why I think this particular episode is misguided. We've won more trophies than Arsenal, but I really don't want to get into that."

Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Will be interesting to see how that pans out. It would seem Dortmund have valued Lewandowski's goals of more potential worth then any fee they might get and while its a gamble i reckon Lewandowski will be good to hit in or around last years tally provided he stays fit.

Not really the one and only reason he is still at Dortmund is because the only team he would go to was Bayern and after already selling Gotze there best player and one of the brightest prospects in world football to Bayern already this summer which caused murder try here was no way they could let a second player follow in the same window

Yes but I'm almost certain they were made knowing that RVP was going. A plan that worked - it can be done !

I was of the opinion that they were brought in to try and get RvP to stay, but that doesn't sound like the Arsenal way of late, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My prediction. We sign no one and then lose to Spurs on September 1st and then and only then will the fans revolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

EIGHT days left -- nobody signed.
    What an ambitious club we have. Couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.

I told you all at the start -- It's a scam. We won't spend money. Our club is about making money and keeping it.
    A few cheap players will be bought to appease the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Tweet from parody account @wengerknowsbest on July 1st:

Sanogo completes our transfer business this window. See you all at the Emirates Cup!

I'm gonna ask him for the lotto numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Just smile for me
    And let the day begin
    You are the sunshine
    That lights my heart within
    And I'm sure that you're An angel in disguise
    Come take my hand and Together we will rise.

On the wings of love
    Up and above the clouds
    The only way to fly
    Is on the wings of love
    On the wings of love
    Only the two of usTogether flying high
    Flying high up on the wings of love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Tweet from parody account @wengerknowsbest on July 1st:

Sanogo completes our transfer business this window. See you all at the Emirates Cup!

I'm gonna ask him for the lotto numbers.

I remember laughing at that tweet. It's not so funny now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Why would you be more than happy with that? Don't you want us to challenge for the title?

You post some amount of ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Maybe just maybe if you boys had put in a proper bid of 50m or more instead of that pisstake for suarez eh!!

When is £40m a pisstake?

Seriously what the **** is gone wrong with peoples perceptions of money these days, thats an astronomical sum for one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

What kind of fans are ye??

I will be there next Saturday regardless of who is signed or what 11 takes to the field

I will sing my heart out

I will do the same everytime I go over regardless of how the season is going

I'm a fan of arsenal football club and proud of it

Nothing or no one will stop me from supporting my club and been there every chance I get

I'm sorry that's the problem with us, we're accepting second best and yet we're paying out big bucks to see crap football. I am happy for you to see you do that. Doesn't make you a bigger fan then me. I won't be wasting my money to have myself been disappointed by the board and manager. They are ruining our club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

EIGHT days left -- nobody signed.
    What an ambitious club we have. Couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery.

I told you all at the start -- It's a scam. We won't spend money. Our club is about making money and keeping it.
    A few cheap players will be bought to appease the fans.

40 mil bid for a player is not trying to spend money?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Why would he be sacked.? Spends no money, achieves cl for 15 straight seasons.
    For a yank like Kronke who is only interested in money and has no connection to the club emotionally or to football this is the ideal. What does Kronke care if we're stagnant.?
    if the situation was reversed Kronke would have bitten Pools hand off at a 40m offer.

And that's something we should celebrate then is it :(. The last 8 years we haven't won a single thing and yet we thank him for not spending money and selling off our best players. Why are we settling for second best bad2dabone?

cson wrote: »
    When is £40m a pisstake?

Seriously what the **** is gone wrong with peoples perceptions of money these days, thats an astronomical sum for one player.

I think some people view club money like monopoly money at times.

HazDanz wrote: »
    40 mil bid for a player is not trying to spend money?

What about other players? he could have signed a one or two other top players then gone all out for Suarez. Cause he puts in 40 million we should all accept he tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It would have been the second highest transfer fee paid out by an English club ever ffs. How is that a pisstake bid?

• Advertisement

Looper im not celebrating it, i hate Kronke. Im just pointing out a fact, Wenger won't be sacked. Nobody will be brought in to handle transfers. that's how it is. Depressing. But advising someone to essentially follow Madrid or barca, I can't agree with that. Like most fans no matter how annoyed we get we'll always follow the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm sorry that's the problem with us, we're accepting second best and yet we're paying out big bucks to see crap football. I am happy for you to see you do that. Doesn't make you a bigger fan then me. I won't be wasting my money to have myself been disappointed by the board and manager. They are ruining our club.

Ya and if the offer had been accepted they would be lauded. It's a fine line as well and one that certainly involves a bit of luck.

Think we need the dust to settle over this and reevaluate as soon as possible.
    I'm not wholly convinced the argument is over yet.

What better way to get a few extra million then to say what he is saying at the moment. Suarez would have certainly brought his value down with the newspaper interview, a wantaway player is worth a lot less. It's this mans pocket we are talking abou, I know what I'd be saying to the media for the sake of 10 million bucks for the red sox to get a new pitcher or quarter back whatever they need for roster.

I really don't know where this club is ruined thing is coming from, I mean we knew nothing of Suarez a few weeks ago, now we are ****ed without him! It should spur the club on to do something and I really think they will specially with the selling of Gerv and so on.

I believe we will give Suarez a huge effort over the next few days with a high bid and a transfer request from him, see what the story is then.

It would have been the second highest transfer fee paid out by an English club ever ffs. How is that a pisstake bid?

because Liverpool live in a cloud cuckoo land where Carroll costs 35m.

And this is their year.

Looper007 wrote: »
    What about other players? he could have signed a one or two other top players then gone all out for Suarez. Cause he puts in 40 million we should all accept he tried.

No, we should accept that they are willing to spend with a bid like that this transfer - rather than fans coming out with "oh same bargain bin shopping again not willing to spend".

They are willing to spend they've just gone arse ways about their targets and have made a balls of it so far.

Looper im not celebrating it, i hate Kronke. Im just pointing out a fact, Wenger won't be sacked. Nobody will be brought in to handle transfers. that's how it is. Depressing. But advising someone to essentially follow Madrid or barca, I can't agree with that. Like most fans no matter how annoyed we get we'll always follow the team.

I'm annoyed as hell cause we're promised so much yet they deliver so little. I've spent thousands over the years going to see them yet they give so little back to the fan's and team. It's all about taken not given. I'm not telling people to follow Mardid or Barca just if they wanted to spend their hard earn money on watching Football then go watch Teams that don't lack ambition and have themselves a nice time.

Ya and if the offer had been accepted they would be lauded. It's a fine line as well and one that certainly involves a bit of luck.

Even with Suarez we will struggle, Liverpool will sell him over board rather to a rival team. We need a top class DM and CB too. I wonder if they have a back up if we don't get Suarez. I'm not convinced. Wait until you see the panic buys come August 31st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

HazDanz wrote: »
    I think some people view club money like monopoly money at times.

I'd say Arsene would be unreal at monopoly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

because Liverpool live in a cloud cuckoo land where Carroll costs 35m.

In fairness I think that was Kennys choice and the board backed him and
    sanctioned the move.

It wasnt the club's fault Kenny was clueless. Though they did appoint him so wtf
    do I know.

I want Ibra. Fcuk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Let's talk about who is available in this post-Suarez world:

Ibra
    Eto'o
    Douglas Costa
    Jackson Martinez
    Rooney (maybe)
    Lucina Traore

Am I missing anyone?

This transfer window so far hasnt been great to put it mildly, but I'm still not going to panic just yet. If nothing else changes from now till the end of the transfer window then I will start panicking. BTW I dont know why everyone is taking what John Henry is saying as gospel. Its not like he hasnt said anything similar about Torres.

One thing we know is that a so called "rival" will be severely weakened with the sale of their star player. So I really dont know why some Liverpool fans are gloating. They are a long way away from top 4 IMO. Obviously I dont want top 4 to be the height of our ambitions as we really should be aiming to fight for the title. I'm not expecting us to sign Suarez, would welcome it but i'm sure Wenger has other targets in mind. Time will tell though obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

When i say pisstake i mean the fact that it was 1pound over 40m thats a pure joke to be fair trying to be smart to activate a clause that never existed look where that got yee, being smartarses has cost you any chance of getting suarez

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When i say pisstake i mean the fact that it was 1pound over 40m thats a pure joke to be fair trying to be smart to activate a clause that never existed look where that got yee, being smartarses has cost you any chance of getting suarez

Seems like a pretty logical thing to do if they thought the clause existed, which they obviously did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Good morning

How are we today :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Douglas Costa

Not really a striker and signed a new contract only 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good morning

How are we today :):)

The same as yesterday; not surprised that the Suarez deal is looking dead, as it never really looked alive to anyone. And confused as to why no other business has been done. Really don't know how anyone can spin this positively, somebody in here advocated the panic signings on deadline day approach, I mean really?!

Its been 3 months and Arsenal haven't spent a penny. During last season I think I would have been considered one of the more positive outlook posters but I can't see this window in a positive light and am beginning to wonder about those who question why the majority of the thread are more than a little worried..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

AdamD wrote: »
    The same as yesterday; not surprised that the Suarez deal is looking dead, as it never really looked alive to anyone. And confused as to why no other business has been done. Really don't know how anyone can spin this positively, somebody in here advocated the panic signings on deadline day approach, I mean really?!

Its been 3 months and Arsenal haven't spent a penny. During last season I think I would have been considered one of the more positive outlook posters but I can't see this window in a positive light and am beginning to wonder about those who question why the majority of the thread are more than a little worried..

I'm still positive

Can understand people been worried, can't understand the meltdowns though

My uneducated guess

We still persue Suarez nobody should believe what Henry says

But at the same time we go in for Rooney as a just in case

We still sign the other players we need

We get out striker maybe on transfer deadline day

People still moan we left it late to sign

We start winning games, everyone forgets and were all happy again :)

I'm still positive

Can understand people been worried, can't understand the meltdowns though

My uneducated guess

We still persue Suarez nobody should believe what Henry says

But at the same time we go in for Rooney as a just in case

We still sign the other players we need

We get out striker maybe on transfer deadline day

People still moan we left it late to sign

We start winning games, everyone forgets and were all happy again :)

Yeah thats the perfect scenario alright, so hopefully you turn out to be right. Yeah i'm not really understanding the meltdown so far based on John Henrys comments. He said similar apparently, 2 weeks before they sold Torres. Players usually get their way in the end, but its an outside chance that we would land Suarez as some european team may get him close to the end and may even be cheaper than the 40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Had no wifi for a couple of days, there's an extra 400 posts that I can't be bothered to read given the way the previous 400 were. Anything at all? Any strong rumours or just the usual? I suppose Wenger did say nothing would be done before the CL qualifiers, at least I think I read that somewhere!

L'prof wrote: »
    Had no wifi for a couple of days, there's an extra 400 posts that I can't be bothered to read given the way the previous 400 were. Anything at all? Any strong rumours or just the usual? I suppose Wenger did say nothing would be done before the CL qualifiers, at least I think I read that somewhere!

Other than Liverpool not wanting to sell Suarez there's been nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

A lot of talk from John W. Henry, but we've heard it all before. They will sell. To late in the window is a joke. They sold Torres on transfer deadline day ffs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement