Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

A friend was saying this morning that Mundo Deportivo were linking you with Eto'o? Seriously, if you sign Eto'o you're signing a 32 year old who really is a shadow of his former-self if you seen him play (penalties aside!). Also the small issue of his wages too. Better off with Lacina Traore if you need a striker from Anzhi!

jonny666 wrote: »
    A lot of talk from John W. Henry, but we've heard it all before. They will sell. To late in the window is a joke. They sold Torres on transfer deadline day ffs

Selling Torres was good business though, even if at the time I wished the player waited till the summer for a move. £50M for a player who's biggest strength was his pace that was clearly on the wane by that time (from WC2010), quite consistently injury plagued and frankly lazy for the better part of 6 months to a year.. sold to team who aren't are rivals as such was hardly the worst thing in the world. What was is what Liverpool did with the money.

I'm sure lessons were learned, after all, Kenny and Comolli were let go.

Also the mess in relation to last year and Dempsey where FSG had to apologise to the fans is fresh in Henry's mind given his comments last night.
    jester77 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that there are fans that still stand up for him and think that someone who has shown nothing but disrespect should be allowed wear the jersey again. I would have thought that no one player is bigger than the club... but maybe that is not the case with Liverpool.

You're bitterness and anger towards Liverpool given many of your comments over the past month if not more has been a particular highlight. One of them type of Aresnal fans I grew up with :)

If this was Fenerbache of 3 or 4 years ago I'd be very worried , They got to the quarters of the Champions league now though I can't see them giving us too many problems i think we'll beat them in both legs actually a 1-0 over there and a hiding at the emirates :) and the registration deadline is only for this round so once we overcome then we can register any new players for the group stage

Fener have numerous players who can score against you guys - Webo, Sow, Kuyt, Meireles and Emenike namely. Whether they keep you guys from scoring, I highly doubt that. Should be an entertaining couple of games whatever happens. Can see Arsenal winning 4-2 or 5-2 on aggregate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    A friend was saying this morning that Mundo Deportivo were linking you with Eto'o? Seriously, if you sign Eto'o you're signing a 32 year old who really is a shadow of his former-self if you seen him play (penalties aside!). Also the small issue of his wages too. Better off with Lacina Traore if you need a striker from Anzhi!

Selling Torres was good business though, even if at the time I wished the player waited till the summer for a move. £50M for a player who's biggest strength was his pace that was clearly on the wane by that time (from WC2010), quite consistently injury plagued and frankly lazy for the better part of 6 months to a year.. sold to team who aren't are rivals as such was hardly the worst thing in the world. What was is what Liverpool did with the money.

I'm sure lessons were learned, after all, Kenny and Comolli were let go.

Also the mess in relation to last year and Dempsey where FSG had to apologise to the fans is fresh in Henry's mind given his comments last night.

You're bitterness and anger towards Liverpool given many of your comments over the past month if not more has been a particular highlight. One of them type of Aresnal fans I grew up with :)

They were strong words from Henry but money talks. If its a choice between 50million from a foreign team or Suarez sulking around the training ground, they will take the money. Its a bit iffy selling to us but if we offered enough money they would sell. Arsenal wont offer enough tho. Im expecting Suarez to hand in a transfer request soon enough. Think he said in his statement he would by the end of the week if liverpool dont agree to transfer him. Dont know what happens then really

Oh i dont believe that we are in for eto for one minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Does anyone think Zelalem will see any time this year even from bench. I think surely in the cups

Is he ahead of Eisfield now?

I hope he I eased in like jack and cesc was

He is still very very small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not sure how you've come to that conclusion? I've nothing against Liverpool, or any other team. Maybe you are reading my bitterness towards Suarez as an attack on Liverpool but I can assure you it's not. While Suarez is a gifted player, I do not have much time for him as a person given his history. I can sympathise with Liverpool, if the cards were turned I would want him out the door. I've said it before and I still think Arsenal would be foolish to pay for him.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    They were strong words from Henry but money talks. If its a choice between 50million from a foreign team or Suarez sulking around the training ground, they will take the money. Its a bit iffy selling to us but if we offered enough money they would sell. Arsenal wont offer enough tho. Im expecting Suarez to hand in a transfer request soon enough. Think he said in his statement he would by the end of the week if liverpool dont agree to transfer him. Dont know what happens then really

Oh i dont believe that we are in for eto for one minute

I agree, money does talk. But FSG are on a tightrope still with many after the last three transfer window debacles before January of this year when Sturridge and Coutinho came in.

I think he'll be off in January myself personally. We'll be up **** creek without a paddle if he's sold with a week or so to go which is when Real if they bid, will bid. I can only see one player being offered in a player + cash deal too and that's Morata. But while he's talented as shown at the Euro U21's in June, expecting him to step in for Suarez would be suicidal from Henry and co.

A final comment on Eto'o, watching him live last season when Anzhi played us in the EL was a sorry sight to one I saw in his pomp for Mallorca and Barca live. It really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I just knew we would get Fenerbahce..... :eek::eek::eek: its going to be tough. Why do Arsenal always have to do things the hard way, lol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Friendly against City tomorrow should be interesting. Sad thing is if we get a good result Wenger will come out and say the team is strong enough and we dont need any additions. I would love to know what David Dein thinks of how Arsenal go about there transfer dealings these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Friendly against City tomorrow should be interesting. Sad thing is if we get a good result Wenger will come out and say the team is strong enough and we dont need any additions. I would love to know what David Dein thinks of how Arsenal go about there transfer dealings these days.

Have you not learned yet to take anytning he says (or might say) with a pinch of salt yet ?

greendom wrote: »
    Have you not learned yet to take anytning he says (or might say) with a pinch of salt yet ?

He has previous for saying it and sticking by his word. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt but if no new arrivals come in before next friday it really is an absolute disgrace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fenerbache would not have been my first choice, but they also arent the worst draw. We are good enough to beat any of the teams we could have drawn, I'd have just rather less travelling so early in the season. The away leg will be tough but the home leg should be straight forward enough unless we get a tonne of injuries.

We'll win the home leg, and without much trouble. Just dont fcuk up and lose the away leg and we'll be into the group stages again with minimal fuss.

The fact that we still need to qualify proper is why I think we havent really signed much yet. Players will want to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

i can't believe some people think 50mil is too much for suarez. look at what top strikers are available (feck all at the minute) and what other players have gone for this summer (suarez tops the lot in terms of quality even with some baggage). we got 25 for van persie, with 1 year left on his contract. suarez has 3 years left on his liverpool contract so you could say he is worth double or more than what we sold rvp for. he is well worth the 50 and if we loose out on him because we are not prepared to raise our bid another 10 million pound, after dropping our interest in higuain i won't be happy

regarding our CL draw, we will go through over the 2 legs like we do year in, year out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I don't give a fishes tit what David Dein thinks anymore. He's not relevant to us.

I don't give a fishes tit what David Dein thinks anymore. He's not relevant to us.

Keep your knickers on I never said he was relevant to us I would just like to know what he thinks of the way the club is run these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Keep your knickers on I never said he was relevant to us I would just like to know what he thinks of the way the club is run these days.

I want to know what Eboue thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The club haven't so much dropped the ball in this window as much as gift wrapped it and drop kicked it into outer space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Selling Torres was good business though, even if at the time I wished the player waited till the summer for a move. £50M for a player who's biggest strength was his pace that was clearly on the wane by that time (from WC2010), quite consistently injury plagued and frankly lazy for the better part of 6 months to a year.. sold to team who aren't are rivals as such was hardly the worst thing in the world.What was is what Liverpool did with the money.

It's crazy how Liverpool fans view us as rivals yet don't view Chelsea as rivals considering two seasons ago we finished ahead of them and last season they were just a nudge ahead of us, yet were rivals and Chelsea are seen as a step above.

It's crazy how Liverpool fans view us as rivals yet don't view Chelsea as rivals considering two seasons ago we finished ahead of them and last season they were just a nudge ahead of us, yet were rivals and Chelsea are seen as a step above.

You just have to look at there squad of players compared to ours to know there on another planet to us especially with Jose back there now.

You just have to look at there squad of players compared to ours to know there on another planet to us especially with Jose back there now.

People said the same thing last year and the year before aswell ;), great squads don't always make great teams.

I think Jose will do well at Chelsea but it's not a guarantee nothing in football is.

People said the same thing last year and the year before aswell ;), great squads don't always make great teams.

I think Jose will do well at Chelsea but it's not a guarantee nothing in football is.
    Manager merry go round really didnt help last year and with Mourinho back there I think there the team to beat this season. Only 2 or 3 of our players would get into the Chelsea starting XI to be brutally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Their players look good on paper but haven't really performed the last two seasons. Their early season form both years had them nailed on as title contenders only for them to end up scrapping for 4th. In fairness they did win a CL though, so you could argue they only came 6th due to focusing on that more but I'm not sure I entirely buy that as it would have been a big risk.

Mourinho could very well push them on to the next level though as he has a knack of doing. I expect lots of clean sheets and grinding out results. But if you go by just the players then they're much the same level as us no doubt, though I'd love to have the strength in depth they have.

Manager merry go round really didnt help last year and with Mourinho back there I think there the team to beat this season. Only 2 or 3 of our players would get into the Chelsea starting XI to be brutally honest.

I'm not denying there squad is much stronger than ours but going on recent history in the league they arent a million miles ahead of us is what im saying, this time last year the were down as favorites for the league aswell and look how the season ended ;).

Despite there brilliant squad they are lacking in one area especially up front, Torres is a shadow of his former self, Ba is decent but not world class and Lukaku isn't ready yet, there's a reason there chasing Rooney but like us still haven't got the CF they need or want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

And Jose has to play a different team than he did before. Lampard and terrys age count against them and they have no Drogba.

It will be interesting to see how he deals with Mata Hazard et al but I think people that think Mourinho will definitely be a success may be jumping the gun a bit

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

And Jose has to play a different team than he did before. Lampard and terrys age count against them and they have no Drogba.

It will be interesting to see how he deals with Mata Hazard et al but I think people that thing Mourinho will definitely be a success may be jumping the gun a bit

They're a much different team for sure, there was a real brute force about the squad Mourinho had before that's not quite there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It will be interesting to see how he deals with Mata Hazard et al but I think people that thing Mourinho will definitely be a success may be jumping the gun a bit

Yep I don't think it will be as clear cut at Chelsea this time for Mourinho, a bad start to the season and the pressure is really on.

Has the strained relationship with Abramovich really been repaired or is it a cowboy job and once the egos are unleashed in the new season will things fall apart.

This year there are an awful lot of variables about our contenders for the title and I do still believe we are in with a very good shout once we bring in some more cover into the team. Saurez would be nice but we really need defensive coverage and either a DM or a winger who can cross (or both) to be in with a proper challenge.

(and yes I know I said I was staying out of this thread until the start of the season but hey I'm weak!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As an LFC fan, I want to say thanks. This thread keeps on giving :D:D:D

Just a pity your team can't make the CL though :D:D
    You might actually have something to cheer about then.

Just a pity your team can't make the CL though win a trophy :D:D
    You might actually have something to cheer about then.

fyp

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We are a step above. :confused:

Better squad, better manager, now at least, not so much the last 3 in Rafa, RDM or AVB.

In the season we finished 6th we still managed to win the FA cup and UCL at the risk and eventual lose of a top 4 place.

Last season we played 69 games won the EL and got to the semi finals in both domestic cups and finished above Arsenal.

Chelsea is a step up, not by much but it's a step above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rarnes1 wrote: »
    fyp

:D

SEVENTH place :D:D

• Advertisement

As long as the damage is not done beforehand. Hope we are not delighted with two no-score draws like last year.
    It's a shame that when we clearly have money we chose not to spend it so that players could have been bedded-in already. Poor management whatever way you look at it.
    Hopefully we'll be proven wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

More ****ing Pool drones in here than Arsenal fans.

FearDark wrote: »
    More ****ing Pool drones in here than Arsenal fans.

Get over yourself ffs.

A bit of banter and chat, big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Get over yourself ffs.

A bit of banter and chat, big deal.

To be fair, I remember peeking in the pool/united threads years ago and seeing the sets of opposite fans having a go at each other and thinking thank fúck the arse thread isn't like that.

Things were grand and then the pro/anti Wenger split came and the thread went downhill rapidly. Now it's been invaded by a bunch of pool fans who seem to have a problem with a £40'000'001 bid for Luis suarez. The actual discussion about arsenal between fans has been diluted even more. A lot of the posters who've been here for years dont bother anymore.

To be fair, I remember peaking in the pool/united threads years ago and seeing the sets of opposite fans having a go at each other and thinking thank **** the arse thread isn't like that.

Things were grand and then the pro/anti Wenger split came and the thread went downhill rapidly. Now it's been invaded by a bunch of pool fans who seem to have a problem with a £40'000'001 bid for Luis suarez. The actual discussion about arsenal between fans has been diluted even more. A lot of the posters who've been here for years dont bother anymore.

Not everyone is too bothered about that trust me

jester77 wrote: »
    Not sure how you've come to that conclusion? I've nothing against Liverpool, or any other team. Maybe you are reading my bitterness towards Suarez as an attack on Liverpool but I can assure you it's not. While Suarez is a gifted player, I do not have much time for him as a person given his history. I can sympathise with Liverpool, if the cards were turned I would want him out the door. I've said it before and I still think Arsenal would be foolish to pay for him.

Perhaps I'm getting you mixed up with that Fear Dark lad. I do remember now addressing him once and not you after all :)
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Better squad, better manager, now at least, not so much the last 3 in Rafa, RDM or AVB.

In the season we finished 6th we still managed to win the FA cup and UCL at the risk and eventual lose of a top 4 place.

Last season we played 69 games won the EL and got to the semi finals in both domestic cups and finished above Arsenal.

If I said otherwise earlier, I'd be called a typical deluded Liverpool fan. No win situation I tells ya :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The only way Liverpool will qualify for Europe this year is if they bring back the fair play place.

I was talking in the context of battle for Champions League places, and Liverpool selling Torres to Chelsea. If you look at my post I only ever mentioned league tables ;), since that what Liverpool and there fans keep banging on about how were rivals for Champions League spots going by league form in recent years so are Chelsea ;) so selling Torres to Chelsea would be much the same as selling Suarez to Arsenal.

If I said otherwise earlier, I'd be called a typical deluded Liverpool fan. No win situation I tells ya :D

Get over yourself would ya :rolleyes:, I refer you to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Dont get me wrong, arsenal have a good squad but they're about 2 or 3 short of being full on title challengers.

I reckon Chelsea, barring a CF are ready made champions and I'd be very happy to go into the season with Lukaku as number 1 striker regardless, the squad is bursting with immense, young and international players coupled with a few wise heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

FearDark wrote: »
    The only way Liverpool will qualify for Europe this year is if they bring back the fair play place.

Fair play dude, the one thing I like about you is that you come out swinging and keep swinging. Even when you are beaten. Like a modern day Rocky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Ok im gonna put it out there.

I sense the new invincibles this year. Then we can use the 80 million to throw a hugh party in London

• Advertisement

I was talking in the context of battle for Champions League places, and Liverpool selling Torres to Chelsea. If you look at my post I only ever mentioned league tables ;), since that what Liverpool and there fans keep banging on about how were rivals for Champions League spots going by league form in recent years so are Chelsea ;) so selling Torres to Chelsea would be much the same as selling Suarez to Arsenal.

Get over yourself would ya :rolleyes:, I refer you to above.

Calm down. It's true what I said, perhaps not from yourself but from others I'm sure. Chelsea haven't been our rivals as such since 2010, it pains me to say that.
    Dont get me wrong, arsenal have a good squad but they're about 2 or 3 short of being full on title challengers.

I reckon Chelsea, barring a CF are ready made champions and I'd be very happy to go into the season with Lukaku as number 1 striker regardless, the squad is bursting with immense, young and international players coupled with a few wise heads.

I totally agree. Cazorla was a step in the right direction as was looking at Suarez, still need another few players to really push on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chelsea are a step ahead of us. In which case they're two steps ahead of Liverpool ;)

Chelsea are a step ahead of us. In which case they're two steps ahead of Liverpool ;)

Well duh.

I'd argue Chelsea are more than a step up from Arsenal though and in turn, Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If you took Hazard, Rakieres, Lukaku, Cech and Luiz out of the Chelsea squad we'd probably be comparable.

That's a hell of a difference though.

Well duh.

I'd argue Chelsea are a more than a step up from Arsenal though and in turn, Liverpool.

Can't argue with that. I could argue about the size of the respective steps though :pac:

I can agree with Nuri and yourself on that as of now were not title challenger but two or three top quality signings and we could be and that essentially what we were promised at the start of this summer hence why you see a hell of a lot of frustrated posters in here. Im still clinging to hope.

I think Chelsea have a brilliant squad between themselves and City in terms of squads but can they make it happen remains to be seen. I just think were Chelsea lack is CF United and City are streets ahead.
    Calm down. It's true what I said, perhaps not from yourself but from others I'm sure. Chelsea haven't been our rivals as such since 2010, it pains me to say that.

Ok apologies I guess the constant jibes from Liverpool fans in here is starting to get to me :o there's been way to much dick swinging competitions in here for my liking, I really don't know why so many of your fellow fans feel the need to come in and vent there anger if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be looking at Arsenal but at my own club and questioning why our best player wants to leave and also be angry with Suarez over his actions.

As with RVP last year I never once went into the United thread or blamed United Ferguson and United done what they needed to to win the league fair play, do I still hate RVP sure as hell I do but I don't blame United on that or never did.

Can't argue with that. I could argue about the size of the respective steps though :pac:

Arsenal are certainly ahead of Liverpool. Any sane supporter would tell you that.

Could be argued Spurs are ahead of Arsenal atm with current squads.

I can see Spurs easily taking top 4 if bale stays

To be fair, I remember peeking in the pool/united threads years ago and seeing the sets of opposite fans having a go at each other and thinking thank fúck the arse thread isn't like that.

I'm guessing you're "pro-Wenger" because they're the only ones who seem to think than any criticism of Wenger means they wanted him booted out.

Arsenal are certainly ahead of Liverpool. Any sane supporter would tell you that.

Could be argued Spurs are ahead of Arsenal atm with current squads.

I can see Spurs easily taking top 4 if bale stays

Can't really say they're ahead of us until they're actually ahead of us, which has been touted pretty much the last 5 years and has happened pretty much 0 times.

Can't really say they're ahead of us until they're actually ahead of us, which has been touted pretty much the last 5 years and has happened pretty much 0 times.

Hence why I said on current squads. That could change rapid if Arsenal get the wallet out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement