Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I don't like that sky sports report that 'fabregas is considering his future after man utd made a second bid '.
    Ill be in the Boyne !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Flamini can go and fook off, he wasn't too slow about ditching us for Milan a few years back after we made him the player he was, hope to jaysus we don't take him back.

He was French young player of the year.

He left his former club the same way he left us.

He never for once let anyone think he was going to stay. All he said was I'm gone when contract expires.

The summer before he left, we tried to sell him to Blackburn.

We didn't make him anything. We stuck him at left back and moced him around. When he realised he could play for a massive massive pay rise, he put in a season Roy Keane would have been happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

farna_boy wrote: »
    It wasn't even remotely obvious. You said:

i.e. why is it coveted that we finish fourth?

There isn't one Arsenal fan in this thread happy that we are not competing for the title every year. Most of us realise though that as long as we finish in the top four, that is the next most important thing. Admittedly the higher we finish in the league the better, but in the end as long as we qualify for the Champions League, it doesn't really matter if we were 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

All of us would prefer !st.
    BUT we are left annually fighting for 4th and usually on the last day which is not what I want and not good enough for this great club.
    It is coveted when 1st, 2nd and 3rd is gone and we should be all about challenging for 1st.
    Isn't that why all our top players left? They wantyd to win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

All of us would prefer !st.
    BUT we are left annually fighting for 4th and usually on the last day which is not what I want and not good enough for this great club.
    It is coveted when 1st, 2nd and 3rd is gone and we should be all about challenging for 1st.
    Isn't that why all our top players left? They wantyd to win things.

Agree with everything except last point which is debatable. That's what many of them said, but I'd say the bigger pay day had more to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lewandowski is being forced to see out his contract by BvB which is refreshing to see tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    He was French young player of the year.

He left his former club the same way he left us.

He never for once let anyone think he was going to stay. All he said was I'm gone when contract expires.

The summer before he left, we tried to sell him to Blackburn.

We didn't make him anything. We stuck him at left back and moced him around. When he realised he could play for a massive massive pay rise, he put in a season Roy Keane would have been happy with.

Well maybe I was being a bit harsh on the lad, but even so he is now 29 and with all the injuries he has been through the past year or 2 is it really worth taking him back? Personally I would rather give one of the youths a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

blingrhino wrote: »
    I don't like that sky sports report that 'fabregas is considering his future after man utd made a second bid '.
    Ill be in the Boyne !

ill be in after you and not to save you either.

blingrhino wrote: »
    Ill be in the Boyne !

Wenger should step in here and match United.
    Fabregas would be a great boost if he returned for both team and fans.
    He knows our system and would be great for the younger lads too.
    We should not let him go to United especially when we have first refusal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Doesn't that only mean we can offer him a contract but if he wants to go to united he can, that's what I was told in the united thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If he is goina move club and we don't make a serious attempt to sign him il be very disappointed. A player like that doesn't become available too often. And of there is a chance we should be in.

• Advertisement

Honest question can people see Wenger breaking his transfer fee by more than double for Suarez?

And?

Is your judgement the best given you made that blunder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No. But then again he could suprise the **** out of us. Bernard and Suarez. Oh matron.

Flamini can go and fook off, he wasn't too slow about ditching us for Milan a few years back after we made him the player he was, hope to jaysus we don't take him back.

At the end of the day he probably would have stayed on at Arsenal only like the Cole scenario we hummed and hawed over a few extra grand a week...yet the likes of Bendtner and Andros Santos had no trouble getting three maybe four times more then they are worth.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    We must strengthen if we want to win the league.
    Bringing in Flamini will not change much.

I think he'd be a good squad player tbh but im probably one of a few or very much alone in that sort of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Honest question can people see Wenger breaking his transfer fee by more than double for Suarez?

It will be very unlike him tbh but it looks like he wants Suarez very badly and frankly I would understand that. Suarez with Giroud as a second striker is a marvellous proposition- It will be arguably be the best strike force in the PL maybe bar RVP/Rooney .

My only surprise so far in the transfer window is why clubs arent going for Fellani? He would be a fantastic addition to any club.

cson wrote: »
    Lewandowski is being forced to see out his contract by BvB which is refreshing to see tbh.

Depends on which is worth more to the club. If he hits goals and brings Dortmund further with his contribution then obviously its a smart move to keep him and he dont seem the type that would doss about to see out the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Jesus I thought some lads on here were bad.

Then I read this ****

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/paul-parker/control-freak-wenger-afraid-big-signings-143303581.html

Aplogies for inflicting it on others

KINGVictor wrote: »
    It will be very unlike him tbh but it looks like he wants Suarez very badly and frankly I would understand that. Suarez with Giroud as a second striker is a marvellous proposition- It will be arguably be the best strike force in the PL maybe bar RVP/Rooney .

My only surprise so far in the transfer window is why clubs arent going for Fellani? He would be a fantastic addition to any club.

All quiet on the Fellaini front no doubt though it would seem United have Cesc as first priority and perhaps we do too. Chelsea quiet enough in the market too tbh. It would seem Mourinho happy with the squad. He seems to think Essien can still do a job for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would be stupid to do this. He may be talented, but he's suspended for the first 6 games of the season, he doesn't learn from the past (multiple biting incidents), there is the ugly racist incidents, issues with diving, he has only shown disrespect to his current club this Summer. Would be crazy to pay more than 30 million for someone like that regardless of how talented he may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I think i can this summer as its sh*t or get off the pot time and i think AW know its time for us to mount a serious challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

All quiet on the Fellaini front no doubt though it would seem United have Cesc as first priority and perhaps we do too. Chelsea quiet enough in the market too tbh. It would seem Mourinho happy with the squad. He seems to think Essien can still do a job for them

Essien is a beast. A slower beast now granted but still scary. He did well enough at Madrid. Himself and Mourinho click well together.

Jesus I thought some lads on here were bad.

Then I read this ****

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/paul-parker/control-freak-wenger-afraid-big-signings-143303581.html

Aplogies for inflicting it on others

This line in particular regarding Suarez and co: "Wenger does not want to deal with this type of player: he is a control freak who wants players that will do as they are told and won't talk back to him"

The man is known for being controlling in his set up of training etc but in terms of player relationships he is supposed to be stellar.

That type of player.... yeah he's always coward away from personalities like Viera and Henry :pac:

HazDanz wrote: »
    This line in particular regarding Suarez and co: "Wenger does not want to deal with this type of player: he is a control freak who wants players that will do as they are told and won't talk back to him"

The man is known for being controlling in his set up of training etc but in terms of player relationships he is supposed to be stellar.

That type of player.... yeah he's always coward away from personalities like Viera and Henry :pac:

Hard to know where Stewart Robson starts and Paul Parker ends at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

jester77 wrote: »
    Would be stupid to do this. He may be talented, but he's suspended for the first 6 games of the season, he doesn't learn from the past (multiple biting incidents), there is the ugly racist incidents, issues with diving, he has only shown disrespect to his current club this Summer. Would be crazy to pay more than 30 million for someone like that regardless of how talented he may be.

I think this has been flogged to death and I simply do not buy it at all. Yes he has issues but I would prefer to have someone of his talent and the advantages he will bring to the club.

1. He has played in in the EPL and will fit in straight away in the Club- actually, I will argue that Arsenal's style of play will bring out the best in him.

2. He will not be playing under Rodgers or some Manager who will be placating and pacifying him on a daily basis- he will be under Arsene who is not only a coach but a psychologist. When Arsenal says he is not bigger than the club, they mean it!

3. All the players have said our problem in the last few seasons is that teams don't fear us any more- having a Suarez is guaranteed respect- even the top will acknowledge that.

4. I agree with you that his suspension for the first couple of games is an issue but its the same for clubs who will have key players injured at the start of the season.

In summary , he is a risk but it is about time we take some risks - its been a few years since we have been taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

back page of guardian tomorrow.

http://twitter.com/Tony_Scott11/status/359774890766761985/photo/1

Reported there and across media that theybid 40,000,001 for him because the bid had to be over 40 to hold talks. Goodness me thats a bit cheeky when dealing with crazy money.

How much is too much for Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Reported there and across media that theybid 40,000,001 for him because the bid had to be over 40 to hold talks. Goodness me thats a bit cheeky when dealing with crazy money.

£40,000,000 plus a Mars Bar. Brilliant :D

I think that's telling them that it's a one off bid and not to expect a higher one.
    It leaves it up to Suarez now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

how many games in suarez out for at the start of the season? just curious.

would absolutely love him at the club. what a talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

darego wrote: »
    how many games in suarez out for at the start of the season? just curious.

would absolutely love him at the club. what a talent

6 (not sure whether its 6 league games or 5 league + the Carling cup game). He would be free to play in the champions league though - that would be nice.

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 2m
    Spoke to Suarez camp on Mon - wants & expects to be at a CL club next season. #Afc interest him but other options, in no rush to decide #lfc

Not saying its true but makes perfect sense, he is most likely holding out for Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Already too much. There's a reason we are the only club showing any interest and I have to wonder why we are. He's too high risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Already too much. There's a reason we are the only club showing any interest and I have to wonder why we are. He's too high risk.

Real will show their hand once they sell Higuain.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's the best out of all the players we've been linked too. He can stick burning effigies in Frimpong's front lawn while chewing limbs off our U18 squad all day, so long as he scores goals I couldn't care less.

I'm starting to think we might have a chance of signing him now although I still think he'll end up at Madrid.

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 2m
    Spoke to Suarez camp on Mon - wants & expects to be at a CL club next season. #Afc interest him but other options, in no rush to decide #lfc

Not saying its true but makes perfect sense, he is most likely holding out for Madrid.

I can see him holding out for Real, especially as a latin player. It all depends on whether real want him. Let's hope not. He'd put us into contender category.

• Advertisement

Ripped from liverpool thread.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-reject-improved-40m-bid-5271074

Don't know if it holds much truth. Time will tell.

EDIT: Btw that is some amount of money. Must be really intent on getting him.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I can see him holding out for Real, especially as a latin player. It all depends on whether real want him. Let's hope not. He'd put us into contender category.

Hopefully RM want and get Bale.

From that article, is 40million really "on the cheap"? I think the Torres deal blew some brain cells in Anfield

From that article, is 40million really "on the cheap"? I think the Torres deal blew some brain cells in Anfield

You are forgetting we are getting a footballer, a racist and a cannibal for 40 million. This man has it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If this is actually true then I seriously hope that's the last bid for Suarez. No way is he worth over £40m.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Hopefully RM want and get Bale.

If we Got luis and bale went to madrid well.......that would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well maybe I was being a bit harsh on the lad, but even so he is now 29 and with all the injuries he has been through the past year or 2 is it really worth taking him back? Personally I would rather give one of the youths a chance.

I don't think he'd do much tbh. His career would lead you to believe he's a talented footballer but happy to just put in a regular shift and pick up a decent pay check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If this is actually true then I seriously hope that's the last bid for Suarez. No way is he worth over £40m.

Looks like its for real now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Whatever about Suarez, we really need to move on our other targets in the meantime.

Wish we could just persuade Lewandowski to join, would be so much simpler :(

I know i'ts not my money but I'd happiry play close to 50 to have him leading the line at the Emirates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

greendom wrote: »
    I know i'ts not my money but I'd happiry play close to 50 to have him leading the line at the Emirates

I'd pay it to piss off Liverpool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Unlike Higuain, he is worth that much. He is one of the best in Europe and a 6 game suspension doesnt change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez hates the English media he says and wants to win things so Arsenal clearly is not going to be his destination of choice and LFC are not going to force him. So for all the headlines this "bid" will generate its nothing more than a puff of smoke, a distraction.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It'd be the second highest transfer fee ever paid by a British club. Some smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

mike65 wrote: »
    Suarez hates the English media he says and wants to win things so Arsenal clearly is not going to be his destination of choice and LFC are not going to force him. So for all the headlines this "bid" will generate its nothing more than a puff of smoke, a distraction.
    Pile of BS to try to get a smoother tranfer out. And arsenal would most certainly at least be serious contenders with him leading the line and Grioud backing him up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement