Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Good result and shows we have the making of a great team. Makes it all the more frustrating we havent added to it yet. Lets hope the next 2 weeks are spent recruiting the talent we need to make this squad into title challengers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

cson wrote: »
    My only fear, and I'm loathe to be negative after that, is that AW will point to that being evidence the team is strong enough. Hopefully he's not that naive.

You know he will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

dfx- wrote: »
    You know he will..

No he wont as much as people love to bash Wenger he's not that stupid yeh in public he's going to say were good enough but behind the scenes he's not a moron.

It's managers job to be supportive of his team in public and back them to the hilt, what goes on behind closed doors is a different story altogether.

After all these years you would think us Arsenal fans would know what Wenger is like when talking to the media it suprises me so many loose the plot when he says certain things at a press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

cson wrote: »
    My only fear, and I'm loathe to be negative after that, is that AW will point to that being evidence the team is strong enough. Hopefully he's not that naive.

Squad is far to thin for that really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What have ye made of Ox preseason? I dont think he looked too bad. he tried hard and all but I dont think he should be a starter just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Great performance today. It was far from "Just a friendly". At times, it was tense stuff where both teams played 100%. That being said, there were also times of drabness.

How great would it be for us to carry this into the Villa game?

But knowing Arsenal like all of us do, an early Benteke or Ron Vlaar header will leave us scrambling for an equaliser for the game and then it's 1-1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jonny666 wrote: »
    What have ye made of Ox preseason? I dont think he looked too bad. he tried hard and all but I dont think he should be a starter just yet

think his development will continue and physicall he's starting to become a man. In fact he's become a bit of a tank. Looking forward to seeing him develop. He's had a solid pre-season and he's a great character to have in the squad.

So anyone got a verdict on Perez? sign him?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    think his development will continue and physicall he's starting to become a man. In fact he's become a bit of a tank. Looking forward to seeing him develop. He's had a solid pre-season and he's a great character to have in the squad.

Hard to tell. He was getting stuck in which is good. Looked a bit on the slow side.

Wilshere didnt impress me too much today

Well, he would cost around 5 million so it's a big decision to make.

He's apparently a highly rated defensive midfielder in America. Could put pressure on Arteta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

i don't see why we would spend so much time and effort getting rid of all the dead wood just to replace it with more. he didn't look the best, 1 or 2 short passes, few rash tackles, a yellow card. didn't see enough of him just from that game. surely arsene has seen something in training to give him a chance today

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Now I know why some of ye are tipping Ramsey to be great this year, he was fantastic again today.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Hard to tell. He was getting stuck in which is good. Looked a bit on the slow side.

Wilshere didnt impress me too much today

There was one quick play where Perez struck me as extremely slow but that was just once.

I thought Wilshere was quite good today actually. No moment of sheer class but he opened up the play a few times and Arsenal are very dangerous in those positions.

darego wrote: »
    i don't see why we would spend so much time and effort getting rid of all the dead wood just to replace it with more.

If Arsenal used that logic, we would never have signed the likes of Touré, Clichy, Fabregas, Hleb etc.
    And then the more expensive Koscielny, Nasri, Henry etc.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Well, he would cost around 5 million so it's a big decision to make.

He's apparently a highly rated defensive midfielder in America. Could put pressure on Arteta.

or act as backup. I hope that if we do decide to sign him that the contract is short - just in case! if he earns a longer deal fair enough. I'm sure arsene and co don't want to go through operation clear-out-the-gimps again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seen he was involved today I think wengers mind is Made up

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No he wont as much as people love to bash Wenger he's not that stupid yeh in public he's going to say were good enough but behind the scenes he's not a moron.

It's managers job to be supportive of his team in public and back them to the hilt, what goes on behind closed doors is a different story altogether.

After all these years you would think us Arsenal fans would know what Wenger is like when talking to the media it suprises me so many loose the plot when he says certain things at a press conference.

Call me crazy but I couldn't help but notice that smirk on his face when talking about Suarez last night at the press conference :p

article-2347220-1A7737D8000005DC-970_306x423.jpg

the ox on holiday with Gibbs, considering he's 19 he's going to be a powerful man.

or act as backup. I hope that if we do decide to sign him that the contract is short - just in case! if he earns a longer deal fair enough. I'm sure arsene and co don't want to go through operation clear-out-the-gimps again :)

just dont give him 50k a week

article-2347220-1A7737D8000005DC-970_306x423.jpg

the ox on holiday with Gibbs, considering he's 19 he's going to be a powerful man.

I can't believe that I worship them on the weekends.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I couldn't help but notice that smirk on his face when talking about Suarez last night at the press conference :p

I said the same thing a week ago after another press conference. He just a a little smirk on his face when he was talking about him. Dont think that whole 'saga' is over yet. Might go quiet for a while. Have a feeling the CL qualifier might have something to do with it (and other signings)

anyone have a link to last nights press conference?

It will be interesting to monitor Zelalem's progress.

He really needs to build up his body physically though. He's as thin as my bulemic auntie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looks a decent passer. Hard to tell through a youtube video obviously. Unusual to see a trialist play so late in pre season. Apparently is quite highly rated though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Suarez and Gustavo with some defender and then we can talk winning things.
    But now we are way too thin to get anywhere near challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cathalio11 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to monitor Zelalem's progress.

He really needs to build up his body physically though. He's as thin as my bulemic auntie.

Give the lad a chance he only made his confirmation last week :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Darren ‏@DarrenArsenal1 19m
    Seems to be reports circulating that we have signed todays trialist Sebastian Perez for reported €2.5m ((Unconfirmed))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Seems to be reports circulating that we have signed todays trialist Sebastian Perez for reported €2.5m ((Unconfirmed))

Yeh seen that would have no problem with he's a 20 year old with potential so 2.5m aint bad really as long we make other signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah here. FFS. £2.5M If we don't cop ourselves on all that Gervinho money will be gone and we'll have nothing left for the board members.

:pac:

rogers has said "I believe Costa has signed an extension. There's nothing in terms of players to add"

he was suppose to be a replacement for suarez. not looking good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Watching Liverpool V Celtic, the Pool are toothless up front without Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

+1

But I note the conflicting stories about Suarez on the same site

No way would we up his wages from £120k a week to £160k a week. He wants to leave because he knows Liverpool are going nowhere fast. He is not looking for more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

dfbemt wrote: »
    +1

No way would we up his wages from £120k a week to £160k a week. He wants to leave because he knows Liverpool are going nowhere fast. He is not looking for more money.

We would. Anyone going for that kind of kind of money would command huge wages.

Quote from Wenger:

on if he's happy with the strikers he's got…
    I think what is important is the strength of the squad. Today is one game. We want to play 55 games and we are maybe a bit thin squad-wise to go through a whole season.

so at least we can confirm that he knows the squad is short numbers-wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

There should be zero reason why we couldn't up his wages.

We have loads to spare after shipping out all the deadwood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

dfbemt wrote: »
    +1

Ah here you're kidding yourself if you think money has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

So if we sign gustavo who's place do he take??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Between him and Arteta i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He can play many games and alternate with Arteta, cover injuries and suspensions i.e. be part of the kind of squad we need to compete for the title. From the clip I saw it looks like he could fill many positions if required but especially DM.

• Advertisement

OG with two good finishes today.

20 PL goals for him this season methinks.

OG with two good finishes today.

20 PL goals for him this season methinks.

I think he will get better this season too.

Who made the assist for the first goal? It was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think he will get better this season too.

Who made the assist for the first goal? It was sublime.

Ha ha it was the chef ........ Ramsey.

Hopefully Ramsey can keep his preseason form up when the league starts. He was so good today in everything he did.

Will be a big player for us this year I think

He is flying it at the moment. Really hope we can get a whole season out of him because he is growing and growing with each game. My biggest fear this season isnt with the personnel we have but with the options available should any of them get injured.

and walcott playing a fine ball for Giroud to score.

Wally scored 1 today and made 2.

didn't he score 21 goals last season (all in)? can't recall the assists stat.
    "Had a little think… If he's desperate to go and they desperately want him.. How about 30/35 mill plus Walcott

— Robbie Fowler (@Robbie9Fowler) August 7, 2013"

Fowler deluded as the rest of them.

We'll expect Suarez as part of a deal sweetener for Walcott if Theo keeps his form up

anyways there's a really good core there, just needs one or two really quality signings to push us on, and one or two solid squad players for rotation and to give the first teamers a break for injury prevention and you know, we could get a third place trophy next year :)

ginter - yes please, squad player
    gustavo - yes please, first team rotation
    another striker - who? I think wenger will hold out to see how suarez pans out and we'll get a deadline day striker. Always hope though that Sanogo is this seasons Benteke.
    Williams? dont see it happening, wouldn't object if it did, rotation
    Jesus Gamez - wouldn't object, lot of experience Captain of Malaga, knows Santi and Nacho. is called Jesus. rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He said 30/35. Thats only 0.857. Less than a million? :pac:

• Advertisement

I reckon we will get Suarez

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement