Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I reckon we will get Suarez

based on any new info?

I don't think Henry will row back on his comments now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

bad2dabone wrote: »
    based on any new info?

Rodgers is doing too much waffling

Wenger is not giving up

It's just my opinion mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I reckon we will get Suarez

Have a feeling the CL qualifiers have something to do with it. Will be a deadline day job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

based on any new info?

Unless it's a crazy bid from arsenal, he will look very foolish if he backs down. People are saying about the Torres thing before but that was just normal crap you here. This is on a whole new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Unless it's a crazy bid from arsenal, he will look very foolish if he backs down. People are saying about the Torres thing before but that was just normal crap you here. This is on a whole new level.

he already has, saying it's up to Rodgers

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    Have a feeling the CL qualifiers have something to do with it. Will be a deadline day job!

thats the only way it'll happen is that there's a legal issue with the so called clause.

and it would that rodgers has been fibbing.

and would seriously embarass Henry, could lead to rodgers getting sacked.

I don't see that as likely. Hilarious if it happened, but very very unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

thats the only way it'll happen is that there's a legal issue with the so called clause.

and it would that rodgers has been fibbing.

and would seriously embarass Henry, could lead to rodgers getting sacked.

I don't see that as likely. Hilarious if it happened, but very very unlikely.

I think you might be right. I'd actually forgotten about the PFA guy sayin there
    Wasn't much to the clause.

Still think we might get him tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

batistuta9 wrote: »
    he already has, saying it's up to Rodgers

Can anyone point me to those quotes? His newest quotes were to a Norwegian radio station and were just as adamant. He won't sell, Suarez would have to bite him to change his mind.

The only faint glimmer of hope is that Rodgers keeps publicly asking Suarez to apologise, which leads to a transfer request and untenable "oh f*ck it, just get rid of him situation". It's still very unlikely though. Time to make bids for Plan C(s).

• Advertisement

All of tomorrow's papers running stories about us getting closer to Gustavo. Let's hope Chelsea don't pounce and we're able to tie this deal up before the Villa game.

Can anyone point me to those quotes? His newest quotes were to a Norwegian radio station and were just as adamant. He won't sell, Suarez would have to bite him to change his mind.

The only faint glimmer of hope is that Rodgers keeps publicly asking Suarez to apologise, which leads to a transfer request and untenable "oh f*ck it, just get rid of him situation". It's still very unlikely though. Time to make bids for Plan C(s).

i only seen it posted here

rodgers has said that he needs to apologise (after the celtic game) before training with the team again & read this morning that suarez isn't going to apologise
    true or not, who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Look, I get that it's expected and everything and just a sign of how bad the last few years have been but how great was it to see the full team today.

Fantastic to see good players push on as a unit rather than see a big RVP or Fabregas shaped hole in the team and everyone looking at each other trying to figure out how this was going to work.

i don't see him apologising either. Would be a big loss of face for the player as he came out and said basically Rodgers isn't honoring an agreement, rodgers now calling him a liar that there was no agreement and asking for a public apology.

if it was me, and i had agreement with someone that they reneged on, and then demanded an apology i know what i'd tell them to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I have a funny feeling we'll still sign him too being honest, Maybe the hold up is the clause means group stages and we'd have to actually qualify proper more than likely wrong but who knows

i don't see him apologising either. Would be a big loss of face for the player as he came out and said basically Rodgers isn't honoring an agreement, rodgers now calling him a liar that there was no agreement and asking for a public apology.

if it was me, and i had agreement with someone that they reneged on, and then demanded an apology i know what i'd tell them to do.

Rodgers has some cheek to speak of disloyalty after managing 4 teams in 5 years. Maybe he should issue his own apology for finishing 7th last season.

I actually admire John W Henry's stance but Rodgers isn't helping the situation by speaking on Suarez daily and antagonising him.

I have a funny feeling we'll still sign him too being honest, Maybe the hold up is the clause means group stages and we'd have to actually qualify proper more than likely wrong but who knows

I think if that was the case then the PFA would've mentioned it in their statement a few days ago.

I admire Henrys stance too, but I still maintain he should keep his comments behind closed doors as he's leaving himself without an "out" if the situation gets that far.

for example if it did come out that we can get him for the 40m (big if) once we qualify for the group stages then due to henry coming out publicly and saying "it would be ridiculous to sell to arsenal" then he's going to have to fire someone fairly high up in the organisation.

at the end of the day for liverpool though, with or without Suarez we're still a much better side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Also the way Wenger is openly talking about it in the last few days it just feels like theres more than meets the eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

it would be a sad day if we were to sign suarez he is not what arsenal are about.

every year wenger and co. find a new way to insult us.

On a positive note giroud looking good, hope this is his year to shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im absolutely itching for some concrete news on a signing and not just pure speculation, these days are dragging.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Arsenal will win the Premier League. Today's 3-1 victory against Manchester City has silenced the very few remaining doubters. Yes, there was talk of the Gunners being short of the required firepower after last week's disappointment in the Emirates Cup but what the carpers fail to realise is that there are no prizes for peaking too soon. Today, they triumphed when and where it really counts – in early August, in Helsinki. Silent, too, are those who erroneously argued that Arsenal need to strengthen their squad. This is, of course, arrant nonsense, with Giroud so on fire he might as well be literally on fire, Walcott showing that, given the time and space that are his due he can be ruthless and unerring – or is it unerring and ruthless? Or unerringly ruthless? Or ruthlessly unerring? Who knows, but with all these options juggling in his head, Theo would make the wrong decision. Sorry, the right decision, I meant to say. Ah well, too late. Mertesacker has been working on his speed training and, it's rumoured, has been regularly clocking sub-20 second times for the 100 metres. With every passing month, Wilshere becomes one per cent fitter while Ramsey is playing so well that in 100 year's time it will be him, not Sir Alf, people assume you are referring to when football historians mention that surname. As for Podolski, who needs him? Fortunately not us, but we've got him anyway. Much as a great creative team needs to be able to bounce ideas off one another to achieve their goals, so it's always helpful to have a player like Podolski off whom the ball might occasionally bounce for a goal.

And, of course, there is plenty of new talent in the offing – 12 and 13 year olds coming through the youth system whom Arsene might well decide to call up to first team action. As a wise man once said, “If you're young enough, you're old enough.” And of course, when Thierry Henry returns in January, it'll be like a new signing. Yes, we may take on Suarez, but that is part of Arsenal's social responsibility remit – we would primarily be giving him the moral training he has been so lacking at Anfield. He might be given the occasional, token run-out once he's been put through his paces by Arsenal's world class, backroom ethics department.

Man Utd? I think not. Coming off a string of defeats against assorted “all stars” including, I understand, a 3-0 defeat against a team of their own lookalikes from the Far East, it's clear that they are about to spiral into a swift decline, with David Moyes as the Frank O'Farrell de nos jours. Other clubs will be reluctant to take on Rooney – certainly, Arsenal were. We haven't a pair of shorts big enough for him and the idea of commissioning him a special pair, like he's some sort of Billy Big Buttocks entitled to preferential treatment, is simply not the Arsene Way. Without the Fire Of Ferguson keeping the hot air balloon of their dubious reputation afloat, expect them to plummet rapidly, with Van Persie eager to jump the basket, begging to re-sign to Arsenal, albeit in the reduced role of Giroud's understudy, boot polisher and hair-teaser, on a zero hours contract.

Chelsea? Ha. So, they've brought back Jose Mourinho. Remember when they brought back Reginald Perrin? Or Bet Lynch to Coronation Street? Need I offer further examples of the folly of bringing back? As Marx says, history repeats itself first as tragedy, then as farce. When Mourinho first won the league with Chelsea, it was, we'll all agree, a tragedy. This time, however . . . well, Paddy Power ought to know that Marx is never wrong. The idea of sending out this creaky squad to try to win the League is on a par with sending out the Walmington-On-Sea home guard to defend the Suez canal. Your time has finally passed, Chelsea Pensioners.

Man City? Well, clearly today's result shows that a house built on morally rotten foundations cannot stand, especially in the face of the fresh, strong winds of Arsenal's financial integrity. We blew them down today, we will blow them down this season. Yes, they have brought in new signings, swarthy, South American, Mediterranean sorts but expect their tans and the promise of their talent to fade as swiftly as Nasri as the sallow pallor of light blue Mancunian failure gets in among their pores. It's as indelible as grease, or asbestos. All that is Man City reverts, ultimately to failure. Man City 0-1 Wigan. It is written. Another tumble down the divisions is in the offing; away fixtures to Gillingham beckon, like an abyss of inevitability.

Liverpool? Their best chance of pre-eminence is to lobby Richard Desmond for some sort of Channel 5 reality TV series. Spurs? Without their player, all looks lost for them.

So it's Arsenal, then, Arsenal all the way. If we should at all falter, there is, of course, the War Chest. Pay heed to the War Chest. Quail at the prospect of the War Chest. Recall, if you will, the Opening of the Ark ceremony in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Be advised that, should we ever open the War Chest, you, the doubters and the scoffers, will have your faces melted like Nazis by the contents that fly out from therein. Be simply thankful that as things stand, there's **** all prospect of the thing being jemmied open at all.

Just a bot of a laugh from @sendvictorious!

another bit of nothingness on the suarez story;

in his first press conference in england, Henry was asked were they going to keep/sell torres & reina, he said that they'll not keep players who don't want to play for the club

I think the Rambo/wilshere midfield combo is gonna be the best partnership around in a few years

Quote from Wenger:

on if he's happy with the strikers he's got…
    I think what is important is the strength of the squad. Today is one game. We want to play 55 games and we are maybe a bit thin squad-wise to go through a whole season.

so at least we can confirm that he knows the squad is short numbers-wise.

He's looking to get kicked out of cups early then :pac:

He's looking to get kicked out of cups early then :pac:

Damn arsene the cups are all we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

it would be a sad day if we were to sign suarez he is not what arsenal are about.

every year wenger and co. find a new way to insult us.

Get a grip man.

every time i see Van Persie score for Them, i hate him more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

every time i see Van Persie score for Them, i hate him more.

Came in here to post that.

• Advertisement

Just seen in the Liverpool thread they're being linked with Sakho. I'd love us to throw £15m at PSG and see what they say. He'd add serious depth to the defence and would really rival Per to partner Koscielny. We'd be set at the back then imo. Hate to go into FM mode here but add Gustavo, a winger/AM and a striker and we'd be in good shape.

I swear this summer has turned me into the most schizophrenic poster ever when it comes to this club. Today I feel like an optimist, a few days ago I was calling for AW/IG to step down if the status quo remained at 1/9/13 (though I'm sticking by that; they have to do business for my unequivocal support).

Wonder what tomorrow will bring :pac:

Edit: Re the Gustavo thing; I wonder would be as well off throwing an extra £10m onto the fee and going for Fellaini or are we cheaping out again?

I think we should be looking at a CB that will push per to 3rd choice

cson wrote: »
    Just seen in the Liverpool thread they're being linked with Sakho. I'd love us to throw £15m at PSG and see what they say. He'd add serious depth to the defence and would really rival Per to partner Koscielny. We'd be set at the back then imo. Hate to go into FM mode here but add Gustavo, a winger/AM and a striker and we'd be in good shape.

I swear this summer has turned me into the most schizophrenic poster ever when it comes to this club. Today I feel like an optimist, a few days ago I was calling for AW/IG to step down if the status quo remained at 1/9/13 (though I'm sticking by that; they have to do business for my unequivocal support).

Edit: Re the Gustavo thing; I wonder would be as well off throwing an extra £10m onto the fee and going for Fellaini or are we cheaping out again?

I'm prob wrong so so wrong

But I don't see Fellani fitting into our system

I think his versatility here would be a blessing; he played AM for Everton last season pretty much but iirc his 'natural' position is DM.

I think his versatility here would be a blessing; he played AM for Everton last season pretty much but iirc his 'natural' position is DM.

Arteta averages 100 passes a game as out "DM"

I don't think I would trust Fellani to do the same

Fellaini would be a quality addition but I think Gustavo is more polished in defensive terms and i'd be happier with him.

• Advertisement

True that.

In that instance it'd have to be Ramsey deputising and we get more bodies in front of them; its Wilshere and Rosicky at the moment. Definitely at least one body short in midfield probably two bodies short but I suspect AW is going to give Zelalem a bit of game time this season so I'll say one body.

Zelalem will probably have a big impact if he does play as no one will have heard of him/been that wise to him. Tactically teams will probably focus on Wilshere and Zelalem seems to have enough about him to revel in a 'freer' role for want of better word. The lack of 'attention' would suit him imo.

i'd be worried about Zelalem taking a tackle at this moment in time. Nothing wrong with his skills though, he's gonna be a big star.

True that.

In that instance it'd have to be Ramsey deputising and we get more bodies in front of them; its Wilshere and Rosicky at the moment. Definitely at least one body short in midfield probably two bodies short but I suspect AW is going to give Zelalem a bit of game time this season so I'll say one body.

Zelalem will probably have a big impact if he does play as no one will have heard of him/been that wise to him. Tactically teams will probably focus on Wilshere and Zelalem seems to have enough about him to revel in a 'freer' role for want of better word. The lack of 'attention' would suit him imo.

Good idea moving Ramsey into the quarterback duties I like it

Go on we can sign him so :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think we should be looking at a CB that will push per to 3rd choice

Not that easy to do tbh. Per's been great for the last while.

Given his character, age, experience etc, can't see Wenger looking to replace him when there are so many bigger fish to fry. Much more likely to get a back-up/eventual successor like this Ginter guy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gustavo strikes me as similar level of quality to Feillani, I reckon he'd be a bargain at that price rather than just being cheap. Admittedly I'm only going by what I've learned about him since we were linked to him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why do posters keep mentioning Zalalem and Gnabry?
    Keep them for the CC Cup as the EPL is no place for little light lads.

Arteta has a tendency to play safety first back to the goalkeeper though which suggests to me he may not be comfortable in the role. Would be more suited to a more advanced role but given his injuries and age maybe the thinking is for him to sit deep and let the youngers like Jack or Ramsey do most of the running while he makes the simple distributions

Gnarby is not a little light lad

gosplan wrote: »
    Not that easy to do tbh. Per's been great for the last while.

Given his character, age, experience etc, can't see Wenger looking to replace him when there are so many bigger fish to fry. Much more likely to get a back-up/eventual successor like this Ginter guy.

I'm a fan of pers, but I thought he was poor in every pre season game I saw
    I no it's only pre season but I would be looking at getting in someone who will really challenge or replace him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I dont see Zalalem getting much Premiership gametime at all tbh. I can see Gnabry getting some though. He was around the Carling cup squad last year and this year he needs to push on and try and break into the first team squad imo.

Re Gustavo or Fellaini. I think I would prefer Gustavo. At the prices that are being qouted he would be a bargain. Great experience with club and country, Very good when the opposition have the ball and a better passer than Fellaini imo. I would be happy with either of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

As an onlooker, wouldn't you say your system doesn't always work?
    A big strong player like Fellaini would be top class for Arsenal.

JPA wrote: »

I think the system is fine, we were just lacking that bit of quality

I def wouldn't say no to Fellani, was just getting a bit of decent debate going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd take either tbh. Maybe even both :D
    Splash the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Whose does? I'd love Fellaini, reckon United will get him though even if we got a bid in first. Gustavo rumours seem to be gathering pace. Don't think I've seen him play, but 36 appearances in that all conquering Bayern side along with a confederation cup have me excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

FellanI would offer a physical presence, can play the defensive role box to box or the attacking spot. Would offer a lot at defending and attacking set pieces, his only major let down is that he's not amazingly technical and not an amazing passer.

From what I've seen of gustavo hes a very tidy defensive midfielder.

Would love to have either or both though but I think the prices indicate the differences.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement