Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't understand why there isn't a bigger effort to sign Fellaini from a number of teams though.

Proven talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sky Sports are saying that Suarez has no intention of making the apology Rodgers has been demanding. Now just hand in a transfer request!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sky Sports are saying that Suarez has no intention of making the apology Rodgers has been demanding. Now just hand in a transfer request!

Was shocked Rodgers came out demanding an apology. Seemed like everything was falling into place for them to keep him and then he pokes the bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

And the forum was tipping along nicely all day without mention of him :):)

JPA wrote: »
    I don't understand why there isn't a bigger effort to sign Fellaini from a number of teams though.

Proven talent.

Something not right that they not

Do us fans big him up too much

Do proper coaches no better and don't really rate him

L'prof wrote: »
    Was shocked Rodgers came out demanding an apology. Seemed like everything was falling into place for them to keep him and then he pokes the bear.

Yeah he looks like a fool. What does he do now?

@ZineAFC: Rodgers- "You can train with us if you apologize"
    Suarez- "No"
    Rodgers-"I'm sorry, please play for us"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Still think it'll be near impossible getting him now though, considering the comments of JH and BR. They really are in a ****ty position now. If they keep him it could derail the whole camp, if they sell him they look like idiots over their comments.

Just going to come down to whether they are more concerned with making the right business decision for the club or with saving face.

I don't think I've ever seen the SELLING club to stir up more controversy around a transfer. The media must love going to LFC for quotes.

Something not right that they not

Do us fans big him up too much

Do proper coaches no better and don't really rate him

I'd be happier with Gustavo. Fellaini hasn't really been playing a DM role in years whereas Gustavo has and has CL experience, intl tournament experience, wasn't coached by Moyes and is cheaper.

danlen wrote: »
    Still think it'll be near impossible getting him now though, considering the comments of JH and BR. They really are in a ****ty position now. If they keep him it could derail the whole camp, if they sell him they look like idiots over their comments.

Just going to come down to whether they are more concerned with making the right business decision for the club or with saving face.

I don't think I've ever seen the SELLING club to stir up more controversy around a transfer. The media must love going to LFC for quotes.

At this stage they're going to be the only club who will actually make a player "rot in the reserves" or maybe they'll send him on loan somewhere. Either way they won't be able to cash out unless we bid. I still think it's unlikely but if Suarez puts in a transfer request maybe there will be enough of a fan backlash that Liverpool will wash their hands with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Moyes stuck Fellaini into an AMF spot to sledgehammer other teams.

We will never ever play that way.

He can't play DMF for us cause he can't pass.

So he'd be good provided we were going to change the way we play ... but then all our other players would be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

gosplan wrote: »
    Moyes stuck Fellaini into an AMF spot to sledgehammer other teams.

We will never ever play that way.

He can't play DMF for us cause he can't pass.

So he'd be good provided we were going to change the way we play ... but then all our other players would be worse.

You say 'sledgehammer' but its just another option.

I can see a role for a sledgehammer if we need a goal with ten minutes to go.

meriwether wrote: »
    You say 'sledgehammer' but its just another option.

I can see a role for a sledgehammer if we need a goal with ten minutes to go.

So spend €25m just to have someone to throw balls up to when we need a goal? Mert already does that job anyway!

At this stage they're going to be the only club who will actually make a player "rot in the reserves" or maybe they'll send him on loan somewhere. Either way they won't be able to cash out unless we bid. I still think it's unlikely but if Suarez puts in a transfer request maybe there will be enough of a fan backlash that Liverpool will wash their hands with him.

I have seen a few pool fans use this rot in the reserves quote

That can't happen if he plays less than 10% of games he can rip up his contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Lads we won't be going for fellaini, united will there just waiting for his sell out clause date to be activated or some lark, Gustavo is where its at, exactly what we need, not to take arteta position yet but he would give him some competition this season.

Forget fellaini, leave him to united.

As said above. If we're going for a big guy to stick up front, then perhaps stay away from the midfielders.

Stick Fellaini in for Arteta and we'd defo have more need of goals in the last ten mins anyway.

Look I'm not trying to knock the guy but I feel the whole big, tough tackling midfield beast is not what we're looking for.

Look back to the distribution around midfield yesterday - the quick side to side and back to front passing. I know it's only a pre-season but try to imagine Fellaini fitting into that?

• Advertisement

Look I'm not trying to knock the guy but I feel the whole big, tough tackling midfield beast is not what we're looking for.

Exactly. I don't see the need for the "steel" that we supposedly need. It's just another Sky Sports cliche. That day is gone for the top teams in modern football.

Especially considering we're going to have about 60% possession in a lot of games this year. Arteta shows the template of what's needed for that position; intelligence to cover the areas that need to be and always be able to receive and distribute ball quickly.

Exactly. I don't see the need for the "steel" that we supposedly need. It's just another Sky Sports cliche. That day is gone for the top teams in modern football.

Especially considering we're going to have about 60% possession in a lot of games this year. Arteta shows the template of what's needed for that position; intelligence to cover the areas that need to be and always be able to receive and distribute ball quickly.

Yup, though English football is dead against it, what we need is pressing, not tackling.

Really good quotes from Xabi Alonso in I think the secret footballer about coming to Liverpool and hearing them talk about a youth player who's supposed attributes were 'passing' and 'tackling'. It goes on a bit about the culture shock of seeing 'tackling' as an attribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why do posters keep mentioning Zalalem and Gnabry?
    Keep them for the CC Cup as the EPL is no place for little light lads.

Jack Wilshere says if you're good enough, you're old enough. ;)
    Arteta has a tendency to play safety first back to the goalkeeper though which suggests to me he may not be comfortable in the role. Would be more suited to a more advanced role but given his injuries and age maybe the thinking is for him to sit deep and let the youngers like Jack or Ramsey do most of the running while he makes the simple distributions

Not sure if you've been watching the same Arteta I have... :confused:

As gosplan says; he's essentially the prototype DM for the way we play, the only player who I think is better at that than him right now is Alonso.

cson wrote: »

Not sure if you've been watching the same Arteta I have... :confused:

As gosplan says; he's essentially the prototype DM for the way we play, the only player who I think is better at that than him right now is Alonso.

Watch him again. He does pass it back to the goalkeeper a fair amount now. Not saying he is bad or anything but i just think he is more natural to going forward rather than sitting slightly defensively

So spend €25m just to have someone to throw balls up to when we need a goal? Mert already does that job anyway!

Dont talk daft.

Have you watched Felliani at Everton? He does far more than the AM sledgehammer. This is part of what he can do.

• Advertisement

Dont talk daft.

Have you watched Felliani at Everton? He does far more than the AM sledgehammer. This is part of what he can do.

Granted, and I probably was bring harsh on him. I just feel that as a DMF/CMF, he really wouldn't be suited to our game.

We play with zip and movement. Speed in possession and distribution is very important to us because we need space for players to exploit.

Fellaini would be perfect for a team focussed on getting the ball out to a pacy winger and then getting big guys up on the end of it in the six yard box 10 seconds later. He'd also add a lot in other areas but he'd hurt us a lot too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Far too light for the cut and thrust of winter football at places like Stoke in my opinion. Wilshere was far more stocky than that wee lad we saw yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sky confirm we are in talks for Gustavo on the transfer centre, would be perfect signing!

Dont talk daft.

That was in response to the statement that was made giving that as the only reason to sign him. I never discussed Felliani as a potential signing overall...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gustavo Arteta
    Walcott Wilshere Cazorla
    Giroud

With Ramsey, Rosicky, Podolski, Ox rotating. Definetly need to add a striker to that aswell.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gustavo would be a better fit for us than Fellaini I think, could cover CB too.

Ramsey and Gustavo would be a solid CM pairing away from home. Arteta and one of them at home would be good too.

Gustavo would be a better fit for us than Fellaini I think, could cover CB too.

Ramsey and Gustavo would be a solid CM pairing away from home. Arteta and one of them at home would be good too.

I like that set up

I can see wilshere spending more time on the bench this season though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I like that set up

I can see wilshere spending more time on the bench this season though

Me too. I said it a while ago that he isn't guaranteed a spot. Even now without additions

jonny666 wrote: »
    Me too. I said it a while ago that he isn't guaranteed a spot. Even now without additions

Nope he will prob have a season like Ramsey did last year, prob come strong at the end of the season

Takes time to get over injuries like that

Nope he will prob have a season like Ramsey did last year, prob come strong at the end of the season

Takes time to get over injuries like that

For me he just needs to add a bit more going forward like Cesc did after a couple of years.

His ability to ghost or turn past the first midfielder is brilliant and that'd be enough if he could just suck in the next defender and give the ball to Henry or Pires. Unfortunately though, he's not do he needs to be able to do a bit more further up the pitch.

But for the 5 seconds after he receives the ball near the centre circle, he's as good as anything there is - really hope he can add the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

So only personal terms to agree with Gustavo, apparently the fee is agreed.
    He would be a nice coup. Add a striker to that now and I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

you know Gosplan i was just about to write that.

Jack's conversion into a proper number 10 should begin this season with gustavo's signing allowing him to move to a more advanced attacking position. There are very few players who can ghost past defenders like him, if he can adapt his game - and i'm sure he can, his talent and potential are immense - then i think he could be a really great number 10.

For me he just needs to add a bit more going forward like Cesc did after a couple of years.

His ability to ghost or turn past the first midfielder is brilliant and that'd be enough if he could just suck in the next defender and give the ball to Henry or Pires. Unfortunately though, he's not do he needs to be able to do a bit more further up the pitch.

But for the 5 seconds after he receives the ball near the centre circle, he's as good as anything there is - really hope he can add the rest.

Agreed, for as good as Wilshere is running past people he has a poor final ball. Don't think he had many assists last season, also when he learns to shoot he could become the complete package.

Honigstein tweets:
    honigstein:
    To expand on Gustavo/Arsenal: feeling in Munich is that he's off but earlier this evening, Rummenigge said LG hadn't decided yet
    But it's only a question of him agreeing personal terms - valuation not an issue.

On a positive note as regards Wilshire's development, I was listening to Amy Lawrence on Arseblog a while ago who spoke about his development into a no.10 replacement for Cesc. Think it might have been just after Cesc left before Wilshire was out injured for so long.

Anyway she drew the parallels between them and maybe some other similar players. What she said was basically that any player who scored a lot from midfield at underage level added goals lastly to their senior game. Like the hardest thing about the step up wasn't beating a man or making a good pass but adapting to the level and getting the timing of runs into the box right.

This clicked for Fabregas and he started banging them in for us. Hopefully it'll happen for Wilshire soon now that he's back fit and playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

On a positive note as regards Wilshire's development, I was listening to Amy Lawrence on Arseblog a while ago who spoke about his development into a no.10 replacement for Cesc. Think it might have been just after Cesc left before Wilshire was out injured for so long.

Anyway she drew the parallels between them and maybe some other similar players. What she said was basically that any player who scored a lot from midfield at underage level added goals lastly to their senior game. Like the hardest thing about the step up wasn't beating a man or making a good pass but adapting to the level and getting the timing of runs into the box right.

This clicked for Fabregas and he started banging them in for us. Hopefully it'll happen for Wilshire soon now that he's back fit and playing.

I'm hoping Ramsey adds some goals this year. He found himself in a lot of goal scoring positions last year only to fluff it. Said it before but he could easily get ten plus goals if he improved his finishing.

Gustavo doesn't score many or any goals at all really so we will be relying more on Wilshere and Ramsey to start scoring more. Would be looking for close to 10 goals a season from both.
    Ramsey looks ready to make the next move forward now.

Honigstein tweets:

PAY HIM WHAT HE WANTS!!!!

I've no idea what he's like bar thet he must be pretty decent but it's a position we need someone in and it's worth 150k per week just to finalise a transfer at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

All the Munich lads ive talked to have said that they are happy to see him go but that he will do well at Arsenal if thats where he ends up. He is a good player but in their minds would have never been anything more than a guy akin to Rosicky in most Arsenal fans minds. I dont mean positionally but just that ideally he should only play as a result of injuries or resting players but that the teams quality wouldnt really drop as a result because despite him being very good, in their midfield he looks average, but then again who wouldn't. Phrases they used to describe him included good at retaining possesion, a good passer and someone you'd describe as reliable.

I do wonder if him & Suarez are it target wise for Arsenal. The positions people said Arsenal needed are a CF (Suarez) a DM/CM (Gustavo), a 4th choice CB (Gustavo), a LW (Cazorla, now that Wilshere might get pushed further upfield with Ramsey, Gutavo & Arteta sharing 2 spots normally) and perhaps a RB (Sagna/Jenks to be enough if Gustavo is 4th choice CB instead of Sagna). Not suggesting that should be the case but im sure it wouldnt surprise some of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a good start if we don't manage to blow it. Centre half and striker still needed.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its a good start if we don't manage to blow it. Centre half and striker still needed.

Don't want to go and get ahead of myself here but IF gustavo is coming and Suarez or someone else is signed. Then a young CB and that's a decent summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Don't want to go and get ahead of myself here but IF gustavo is coming and Suarez or someone else is signed. Then a young CB and that's a decent summer.

Would love a gk too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would love a gk too

Definitely need a good keeper, Julio Cesar is ideal.

That would be a great summer. We would challenge for the title.

On thing thats so frustrating about this summer is that the latter part of last season, and even the friendly win yesterday shows we have the basis of an excellent team, if only we could sprinkle it with some magic dust via some real quality signings.

I am very optimistic about the performances of Walcott, Giroud, Rambo and Wilshere for next season, allied with the obvious excellence of Kos and Santi.

A little bit of top class on either side of them could be really exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

All the Munich lads ive talked to have said that they are happy to see him go but that he will do well at Arsenal if thats where he ends up. He is a good player but in their minds would have never been anything more than a guy akin to Rosicky in most Arsenal fans minds. I dont mean positionally but just that ideally he should only play as a result of injuries or resting players but that the teams quality wouldnt really drop as a result because despite him being very good, in their midfield he looks average, but then again who wouldn't. Phrases they used to describe him included good at retaining possesion, a good passer and someone you'd describe as reliable.

I do wonder if him & Suarez are it target wise for Arsenal. The positions people said Arsenal needed are a CF (Suarez) a DM/CM (Gustavo), a 4th choice CB (Gustavo), a LW (Cazorla, now that Wilshere might get pushed further upfield with Ramsey, Gutavo & Arteta sharing 2 spots normally) and perhaps a RB (Sagna/Jenks to be enough if Gustavo is 4th choice CB instead of Sagna). Not suggesting that should be the case but im sure it wouldnt surprise some of you

That's my fear; that Gustavo would equate to 2/3 signings given the positions he can cover.

Realistically I think given the way the teams around us have strengthened, Spurs and City in particular I think we need 4 players Gustavo included to be competitive on all fronts. Something like Gustavo, Sakho, Suarez (I know!) and Grenier would be ideal imo. Better than ideal even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Get a grip man.

Anything else to say in your hunt for thanks on boards?

Why any of us want someone who is disloyal, will miss start of the season, is a sure bet to get banned twice a year and a sure bet to be gone in a year or two at your beloved club is beyond me?
    He is one ban away from a half season ban? Yes he is a good player but how good is he when hes out on a ban?

We are only in for him because we are desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's my fear; that Gustavo would equate to 2/3 signings given the positions he can cover.

Realistically I think given the way the teams around us have strengthened, Spurs and City in particular I think we need 4 players Gustavo included to be competitive on all fronts. Something like Gustavo, Sakho, Suarez (I know!) and Grenier would be ideal imo. Better than ideal even.
    That would make for a brilliant couple of weeks !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The whole Rodgers request to Suarez to apologise has me thinking

Henry: We'll never sell, Suarez is the man for us
    Rodgers: We love Suarez and he's a big player for us, now all he has to do is say sorry to me, the club and the fans
    Suarez: Fuk off, I want to leave.
    Rodgers: Ok off you go.

The above could have been manufactured to make LS out to be the bad guy and for LFC to hold face with the fans for selling him - no player bigger than the club etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did we definitely get him lads?
    This lad looks to be just what we need.
    Just hearing that Cavani has come out and backed up Suarez on the promise thing and laying into Rogers. We might get Suarez yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Definitely need a good keeper, Julio Cesar is ideal.

Why downgrade?

Szczesny is far better and on his day, Fabianski is just as good. Both are also much younger and not just in it for the money. Cesar would be a waste of resources just when we've started getting rid of that type of player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement