Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Did we definitely get him lads?
    This lad looks to be just what we need.
    Just hearing that Cavani has come out and backed up Suarez on the promise thing and laying into Rogers. We might get Suarez yet.

yea cavani is privi to liverpool business and not just backing up his mate on his word:rolleyes:

suarez is not going to arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Why any of us want someone who is disloyal, will miss start of the season, is a sure bet to get banned twice a year and a sure bet to be gone in a year or two at your beloved club is beyond me?
    He is one ban away from a half season ban? Yes he is a good player but how good is he when hes out on a ban?

We are only in for him because we are desperate.

Can't disagree with you on some of your points.
    But he is World Class. And proven. Fiercely competitive. And immensely talented.
    Wenger obviously sees him as being the right type of player for the team.

besides i don't think we'll get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Paulegend wrote: »
    yea cavani is privi to liverpool business and not just backing up his mate on his word:rolleyes:

suarez is not going to arsenal

It doesn't matter if it's rubbish. It does however keep the rift wide open and may contribute to the row and make his departure inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Formerly AFCcamden

DC ‏@DLDN22 4m 3rd bid for Suarez soon. It's got legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Formerly AFCcamden

DC ‏@DLDN22 4m 3rd bid for Suarez soon. It's got legs.

A bid of 45m will put them under massive pressure.

There comes a point where you have to stop talking sh1te about projects and liverpool ethos and so on, and face economic reality.

I think I will enjoy Henry and Rodgers being humiliated as much as the signing if we get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

£45m would probably put the cat amongst the pigeons alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think £50m would do it, but £45m with add on's would make life very difficult for Liverpool.

meriwether wrote: »
    A bid of 45m will put them under massive pressure.

There comes a point where you have to stop talking sh1te about projects and liverpool ethos and so on, and face economic reality.

I think I will enjoy Henry and Rodgers being humiliated as much as the signing if we get him.

Hold off on the laughing for now. We will potentially be getting a spoilt little brat. There is no guarantee he will work out and 45 million would be a huge ouch for us if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think £50m would do it, but £45m with add on's would make life very difficult for Liverpool.

Dream scenario 45 million plus Bentner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It doesn't matter if it's rubbish. It does however keep the rift wide open and may contribute to the row and make his departure inevitable.

Absolutely - getting Cavani to speak shows that Suarez has no intention of conciliation. Liverpool are banking on Suarez having a change of heart by October. Will they hold their nerve past the transfer deadline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rodgers' has looked out of his league when talking about the Suarez transfer.

The whole apology thing is quite funny. He's made it impossible for Suarez to stay imo

Thanks Brendan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

45m is too much for him. He is a 20m player vastly inflated by Cavani and Bale at the moment. For once I would respect us not bidding any more.

Rodgers' has looked out of his league when talking about the Suarez transfer.

The whole apology thing is quite funny. He's made it impossible for Suarez to stay imo

Thanks Brendan!

-Says he is staying, and will play
    -Demand apology as a precondition for returning to team
    -Suarez refuses to apologise.

-How do you retain Suarez and pick him on the team if he refuses to do the thing you demand him to do as a precondition to play?

Idiot.

I think that with or without Suarez Liverpool are not getting close to top 4.

They're choices are currently:
    1 - Keep Suarez, who by now really doesn't want to be there and the relationship has broken down (far worse than Tevez/Mancini it seems). Endure a season where their stand out player is unsettling the dressing room. Not get top 4. Sell him in the summer for whatever he's worth then - certainly not more than he's worth now.

2 - Sell him to us: not get top 4. We do. But at least liverpool have some money to buy and improve.

3 - Hope they can sell him foreign, but with no offers on the table and time running out......

I dunno. I reckon they'd like to do number 1, but financially and practically it's not realistic.

-How do you retain Suarez and pick him on the team if he refuses to do the thing you demand him to do as a precondition to play?

Idiot.

yarp, Rodgers and Henry have left themselves open to looking very foolish with their statements to the press.

Best policy: STFU, let the business happen behind closed doors.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    yarp, Rodgers and Henry have left themselves open to looking very foolish with their statements to the press.

Best policy: STFU, let the business happen behind closed doors.

Exactly how RVP was handled by Arsenal and United last season.

2 sensible, clever clubs quietly hammering out a deal that benefited both of them as much as possible.

FearDark wrote: »
    45m is too much for him. He is a 20m player vastly inflated by Cavani and Bale at the moment. For once I would respect us not bidding any more.

20m player? He was arguably the best player in the league last year and would have won all the awards had he not gotten himself in trouble.

20m player? He was arguably the best player in the league last year and would have won all the awards had he not gotten himself in trouble.

Exactly why he's worth 20m and not 45 or 50.

Exactly why he's worth 20m and not 45 or 50.

If he was worth 20 million we would get him for 20 million ;), the best player in the league is never going to go for a fee that low.

• Advertisement

Exactly how RVP was handled by Arsenal and United last season.

2 sensible, clever clubs quietly hammering out a deal that benefited both of them as much as possible.

I do feel bad for Liverpool in this whole mess but Liverpool would be better off making a decision now in order to give themselves time to get a replacement. I hope they can get a good replacement to offset the gaping hole that Suarez will eventually leave wherever he may go, but i do think if we come back in with a bid the next day or so that they need to act fast.

I am surprised with the way Liverpool have handled this and i think if the Moore's were running the club that they would have handled this scenario alot better. The current owners accuse Arsenal of game playing yet what club owner goes onto twitter and leaks information of a bid unless they were playing a game themselves.

Van Persie was sold for what 22.5m and virtually won the league for Utd. Just saying how is Suarez worth more than double that considering the trouble he brings? I'm just playing devils advocate here. Suarez alone will not win us the league either.

Van Persie was sold for what 22.5m and virtually won the league for Utd. Just saying how is Suarez worth more than double that considering the trouble he brings? I'm just playing devils advocate here. Suarez alone will not win us the league either.

The only reason Van Persie went so cheaply was because of his contract situation. Suarez I think has 3 years left on his current deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I do feel bad for Liverpool in this whole mess but Liverpool would be better off making a decision now in order to give themselves time to get a replacement. I hope they can get a good replacement to offset the gaping hole that Suarez will eventually leave wherever he may go, but i do think if we come back in with a bid the next day or so that they need to act fast.

I am surprised with the way Liverpool have handled this and i think if the Moore's were running the club that they would have handled this scenario alot better. The current owners accuse Arsenal of game playing yet what club owner goes onto twitter and leaks information of a bid unless they were playing a game themselves.

:eek:

The same David Moores who spent at least one AGM bawling crying with his head in his hands when Steve Morgan's wife was heckling him? :D

Just because much of Moore's time at Liverpool was just about before the current uber intrusive media world we live in, does not mean it was a smooth ship behind the scenes.

As a then shareholder ( had a handful of shares which allowed me to go to AGMs along with any other supporter who owned a share) I got to see the likes of Moores, Morgan & co in shouting matches and slanging matches every year.

If some of what went on the the AGMs was happening nowadays there would be youtube videos up and people scratching their heads at how millionaire business people acted.

Moores is a massive supporter of the club, but a hell of a lot of his time at the club was a failure, and a hell of a lot of what came out of his mouth was cringeworthy stuff.

Kess73 wrote: »
    :eek:

The same David Moores who spent at least one AGM bawling crying with his head in his hands when Steve Morgan's wife was heckling him? :D

Just because much of Moore's time at Liverpool was just about before the current uber intrusive media world we live in, does not mean it was a smooth ship behind the scenes.

As a then shareholder ( had a handful of shares which allowed me to go to AGMs along with any other supporter who owned a share) I got to see the likes of Moores, Morgan & co in shouting matches and slanging matches every year.

If some of what went on the the AGMs was happening nowadays there would be youtube videos up and people scratching their heads at how millionaire business people acted.

Moores is a massive supporter of the club, but a hell of a lot of his time at the club was a failure, and a hell of a lot of what came out of his mouth was cringeworthy stuff.

Perhaps not David, but surely the previous generations of the Moores family were some-way contributory to that successful period in Liverpool's history? i gave an example a few pages back of their ruthlessness in their pursuit of Craig Johnson in 1981 as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Perhaps not David, but surely the previous generations of the Moores family were some-way contributory to that successful period in Liverpool's history? i gave an example a few pages back of their ruthlessness in their pursuit of Craig Johnson in 1981 as an example.

Look at how Man United capitalised financially during the 90s and early 00s in comparison to Liverpool, and Liverpool had the more solid foundation at that time.

We were left completely behind by people who ultimately were out of their depth for that era. Even Hicks and Gillett commented about how poor our marketing, sponsorship, globalisation etc were.

A lot of work has been done recently under Ian Ayre and FSG to rectify that, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Who do people think should be our number 1 for the season? Scez or Fabianski?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jaafa wrote: »
    Who do people think should be our number 1 for the season? Scez or Fabianski?

Chez without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd love to trawl back over posts from the last season or before and see how many arsenal fans abused the ****e out of Suarez and called him every ****en name they could think of but now he is an honest chap who justs wants to play football and Rodgers is to blame. We are a fickle bunch us supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'd love to trawl back over posts from the last season or before and see how many arsenal fans abused the ****e out of Suarez and called him every ****en name they could think of but now he is an honest chap who justs wants to play football and Rodgers is to blame. We are a fickle bunch us supporters.

it'll pass a few hours for you now in the winter :pac:

there's still a good few on here who don't really want him at arsenal to be fair

at the start of the rumours i'd say there was more here & elsewhere going on about it/him but it seems to have taken a back seat with becoming a more realistic possibility & with the tit for tat petty comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm clean on this one!!

I said a few times last season that he would be the perfect player for us and I'd love him.

As regards the money, who gives a sh1t if it's 40 or 50 million. It's fairly clear that under Wenger, we'll never actually spend the famous warchest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm clean on this one!!

I said a few times last season that he would be the perfect player for us and I'd love him.

As regards the money, who gives a sh1t if it's 40 or 50 million. It's fairly clear that under Wenger, we'll never actually spend the famous warchest.

Noooooooooooooooooo......................

Forgetting the departures, we spent pretty well last season. Now we're trying to add to the squad without losing any major players, something we haven't done in a long time. We can't compete with the top clubs for the best players just yet, but that's ok because I honestly think right now we'd be better off spreading the cash around and signing 3 solid players for say £45m. That would leave the squad in a far better position than if we just signed Suarez as it's woefully thin at the moment. People see the word warchest and instantly associate it with one signing but, this season at least, I don't think it would be wise to do so.

Not long left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

L'prof wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooo......................

Forgetting the departures, we spent pretty well last season. Now we're trying to add to the squad without losing any major players, something we haven't done in a long time. We can't compete with the top clubs for the best players just yet, but that's ok because I honestly think right now we'd be better off spreading the cash around and signing 3 solid players for say £45m. That would leave the squad in a far better position than if we just signed Suarez as it's woefully thin at the moment. People see the word warchest and instantly associate it with one signing but, this season at least, I don't think it would be wise to do so.

Not long left :(

Yeah fair enough. I do think we're overspending on Suarez, I just think we'll make it all back in a couple of years.

I agree that we need more but my feeling is that there's more than enough for Suarez and Gustavo plus some more if Wenger can find players that satisfy him.

Oh I wont lie I still think he is a bit of an asshole to be honest, what he's doing to Liverpool reminds me of Van Persie at Arsenal and I still can't stand him, add in the biting etc the whole Evra thing I'd let slide becasue I can't stand Evra :pac:.

But I also look on Suarez as the perfect player for Arsenal right now, he will help us make that step up again, his signing would be a real signal of intent by the club and let every player and club know were back. I would love us to sign him but I don't expect him to be loyal in the slightest one sniff from the likes of Madrid in say two years time and he will be pushing for a move.

I don't think anyone thinks Suarez is an honest chap most just recognize that we need him, as for Rodgers not his fault but him and Henry have made one huge mess of the situation and have made this into the story of the summer with all there ramblings every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i still dont like Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough. I do think we're overspending on Suarez, I just think we'll make it all back in a couple of years.

I agree that we need more but my feeling is that there's more than enough for Suarez and Gustavo plus some more if Wenger can find players that satisfy him.

If we do, fantastic. We need at least 3/4 players though and I'm fed up of the whole situation. I'd prefer to see the other signings done now and then concentrate on Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why downgrade?

Szczesny is far better and on his day, Fabianski is just as good. Both are also much younger and not just in it for the money. Cesar would be a waste of resources just when we've started getting rid of that type of player.
    I really think you are under rating Cesar and over rating our 2 lads. All of them on there day Cesar is by far the better keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I really think you are under rating Cesar and over rating our 2 lads. All of them on there day Cesar is by far the better keeper.

I would have liked another keeper to come in too but im happy enough with the two polish lads. Neither one is first choice so its creating a bit of competition for the spot which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

http://bit.ly/14GsowS

Just read it

jonny666 wrote: »
    I would have liked another keeper to come in too but im happy enough with the two polish lads. Neither one is first choice so its creating a bit of competition for the spot which is good.

Neither one is a first team keeper I honestly cant believe I am the only one saying this, out of the big 6 clubs we have the weakest first choice keeper by far. Cesar would cost 2 million at tge most and he is coming into his best years as a keeper.

And dont give me "why were QPR the only club in for him" when he left Inter because I remember a certain Edwin Van Der Sar leaving Juventus and a certain club called Fulham were the only club in for him and look how that turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

The only reason Van Persie went so cheaply was because of his contract situation. Suarez I think has 3 years left on his current deal.

signed a 5 year deal last august

Neither one is a first team keeper I honestly cant believe I am the only one saying this, out of the big 6 clubs we have the weakest first choice keeper by far. Cesar would cost 2 million at tge most and he is coming into his best years as a keeper.

You're wrong which is the best reason as to why you're in the minority saying this, were fine in the goalkeeping department.
    And dont give me "why were QPR the only club in for him" when he left Inter because I remember a certain Edwin Van Der Sar leaving Juventus and a certain club called Fulham were the only club in for him and look how that turned out.

Never mind why were QPR the only club in for him, why is he still at QPR if he is such a wonderful goalkeeper? Considering it been widely reported QPR want him off the wage bill but yet somehow can't manage to shift him if he was such an outstanding keeper surely someone would have picked him up by now.

You're wrong which is the best reason as to why you're in the minority saying this, were fine in the goalkeeping department.

Never mind why were QPR the only club in for him, why is he still at QPR if he is such a wonderful goalkeeper? Considering it been widely reported QPR want him off the wage bill but yet somehow can't manage to shift him if he was such an outstanding keeper surely someone would have picked him up by now.

Napoli and Fiorentina were in for him but wages were a stumbling block. He single handidly won QPR points last season with some superb goalkeeping. In my opinion we would be a much stronger defensive unit with him between the posts as I dont think our defence has alot of confidence in Chesney or Fabianski. There decision making is poor at the best of times and they will cost us goals next season, alot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He'll get better quality food at Arsenal when he arrives.
    Won't feel a bit peckish at all.

Napoli and Fiorentina were in for him but wages were a stumbling block. He single handidly won QPR points last season with some superb goalkeeping. In my opinion we would be a much stronger defensive unit with him between the posts as I dont think our defence has alot of confidence in Chesney or Fabianski. There decision making is poor at the best of times and they will cost us goals next season, alot of them.

Napoli picked up some quality players this season the like of Higuain who you can be sure is getting a hefty wage, if they thought Cesar was worth his wage demands they could have easily met them.

Your being way to harsh on our goalkeepers yes Szcez suffered a dip in form last season at one stage but when he came back he made some great game saving saves and saved us a lot of points. Szcez in particular is a great character to have on the pitch first time in a long time we have a had a vocal goalkeeper who lets his defence know were he wants and needs them.

That was so boring. I made it half way down. Wanna sum it up?

Who'd ever be an accountant!!

Who'd ever be an accountant!!
    :D:D
    I'm an accountant and I was just going to post how I thought it was really good :)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    :D:D
    I'm an accountant and I was just going to post how I thought it was really good :)

:pac:

Wanna do a summery of it all for those who cant be arsed? What I got from it is that we are filthy rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

:pac:

Wanna do a summery of it all for those who cant be arsed? What I got from it is that we are filthy rich

I must have gotten further than you :D

I thought we were filthy rich, read on a bit, then thought maybe not, then I decided to check out if there was much left to read by scrolling to the bottom and said f** this, this is way way too long.

Conclusion: we need a few signings

• Advertisement

We're very cash rich - the debt isn't as low as people might think i.e the stadium isn't paid but with our income it's certainly very managable.
    It confirms what most of us suspect about the club though, there are considerable resources to spend, it defo raises more questions about why that money isn't being used to improve the team and is being left as cash reserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement