Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

bad2dabone wrote: »
    We're very cash rich - the debt isn't as low as people might think i.e the stadium isn't paid but with our income it's certainly very managable.
    It confirms what most of us suspect about the club though, there are considerable resources to spend, it defo raises more questions about why that money isn't being used to improve the team and is being left as cash reserves.

Probably to cover the stadium redevelopment costs, it's almost 10 years old ya know??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

:D:D
    I'm an accountant and I was just going to post how I thought it was really good :)

Same here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ramsey injured?

Gustavo choosing Wolfsburg over us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

links man, links!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

jonny666 wrote: »

Gustavo choosing Wolfsburg over us?

Oh no don't say that :mad:

• Advertisement

Without backup don't say that!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

links man, links!

It's on bbc about Ramsey.

Only thing about gustavo I saw was a tweet saying it was said in Kicker magazine.

Links to both on the arsenal reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

links man, links!

Haha Soz was on the phone. Bbc for Ramsey ad twitter for the gustavo thing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's on bbc about Ramsey.

Only thing about gustavo I saw was a tweet saying it was said in Kicker magazine.

Links to both on the arsenal reddit.

The Guardian and Telegraph are saying were close to signing him, although I don't no how reliable they are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's from Kicker. Might be old information though, our interest seems to have only come in the last day or two.

It'd be bizarre to choose Wolfsburg over Arsenal.

• Advertisement

I read kicker took the info from late July.
    Also not convinced rambo is really injured....

Whoever came up with the idea of an International fixture list the week before the new season starts deserves a swift kick into the ballbag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Meh.

Ramsay's missing for Wales - no biggie.

As long as no one else signs Gustavo, I'll be content. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he waited till the CL qualifier is over first. Were we to go out there, with no signings made and people like Suarez most definitely not joining, we'd be a bad option for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'd love to trawl back over posts from the last season or before and see how many arsenal fans abused the ****e out of Suarez and called him every ****en name they could think of but now he is an honest chap who justs wants to play football and Rodgers is to blame. We are a fickle bunch us supporters.
    No hes still a cnut.

But he would be OUR cnut:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

apparently Napoli have submitted an official bid for Gustavo

I'm fast starting to hate napoli

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm fast starting to hate napoli

Yeah cheek of them, reinvesting their transfer funds in their team.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They only got Hig because we didn't bid in the end, he'll choose us over Napoli surely.

I reckon we'll have him in before the qualifier, if he was willing to sign for Wolfsburg before we showed up I don't see why he'd wait until after our qualifiers to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'd love to trawl back over posts from the last season or before and see how many arsenal fans abused the ****e out of Suarez and called him every ****en name they could think of but now he is an honest chap who justs wants to play football and Rodgers is to blame. We are a fickle bunch us supporters.

I'd love to see a list of posts (if any) that say this. Maybe 1 or 2 morons. Most of the thread think hes a you know what but would take him because we need a world class player.

Swiss Ramble is brilliant, another great article.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah cheek of them, reinvesting their transfer funds in their team.

I know, they're supposed to leave it all in the bank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I know, they're supposed to leave it all in the bank!

They've already spent more than they took in. It's Benitez, loves flashing the cash and if he's to have a chance, he needs to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They only got Hig because we didn't bid in the end, he'll choose us over Napoli surely.

I reckon we'll have him in before the qualifier, if he was willing to sign for Wolfsburg before we showed up I don't see why he'd wait until after our qualifiers to sign.

Why exactly, Napoli assembling a hell of a team who you would expect to do very well in Europe this season.

AdamD wrote: »
    I'd love to see a list of posts (if any) that say this. Maybe 1 or 2 morons. Most of the thread think hes a you know what but would take him because we need a world class player.

Indeed, he's such a good player that I'm willing to overlook his bad side on the off chance he signs, that doesn't mean I think he's a nice guy or anything, I still see him as a risk. I'm sure many Liverpool fans won't be so forgiving towards him when he no longer plays for them.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Why exactly, Napoli assembling a hell of a team who you would expect to do very well in Europe this season.

Fair point I suppose but it's a pretty inferior league to the EPL imo. They do have more of a chance of winning their domestic title than we do though.

According to italian journalist Tancredi Palmeri, Napoli are behind us in the chase for Gustavo and at this moment in time, he prefers Arsenal.

Don't you just love Twitter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

greendom wrote: »

Don't you just love Twitter :pac:

No

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Palmeri is a spoofer.. that many people in the soccer forum believe is legit :(

I'd take no notice of him tbf.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Palmeri is a spoofer.. that many people in the soccer forum believe is legit :(

I'd take no notice of him tbf.

When he says a player has no chance of joining Arsenal I'll take no notice - when he says we're favourites, he becomes very credible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

If he signs it may be done before the qualifier takes place but to play in it he has to be registered by today i think

Wenger has apparently confirmed we're in talks for Gustavo ... which is nice.

• Advertisement

My point about the qualifier is a bit of a black mark on Wenger and the board.

We should go through but if we go out ... we're fooked.

Suarez defo wouldn't join(though he might not anyway) and we'd have no hope of prising anyone half decent from elsewhere without any CL to offer them.

Plus we wouldn't be that great a bet for the future given our super-thin squad and the level of our competition.

Bullsh*t, throw enough money at players and they'll come.

L'prof wrote: »
    They've already spent more than they took in. It's Benitez, loves flashing the cash and if he's to have a chance, he needs to do it!

Benitez is almost the opposite of Wenger. If he wants a player and the board come back and tell him his price is gone up to £200m and that they wont pay it he'd get into a lather and sulk about it. Good coach as he proved at Chelsea but when it comes to recruitment you couldnt let him have too much power over the cheque book

I see we supposedly have had a €20m bid accepted for Gustavo. Unfortunately it's goal.com that are saying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

They're the only ones reporting that, the rest are saying we are "favourites", we were favourites to get Higuain too :( I fully expect Chelsea to bid more and to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Would be nice to get that it wrapped up today so that we can take him to Turkey.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    They're the only ones reporting that, the rest are saying we are "favourites", we were favourites to get Higuain too :( I fully expect Chelsea to bid more and to get him.

Do they need him though?

Ajax have an offer from Toby Alderweireld from a "mystery club"
    “We have received an offer [for Alderweireld],” Ajax sporting director Marc Overmars told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

“We won’t give any names as we are still in talks.

“But, just like with Norwich City earlier, I expect we can work out a deal with this club.”

Is he good? Just piqued my interest since he seems to fit the profile of what we're supposedly looking for at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Ajax have an offer from Toby Alderweireld from a "mystery club"

Is he good? Just piqued my interest since he seems to fit the profile of what we're supposedly looking for at the back.
    Liverpool and Spurs have been heavily linked with him. Dont know much about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No AFCcamden and Geoff Arsenal have both tweeted that were in for him bid has been made both of who seem fairly confident on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Do they need him though?

We havent been linked with him in weeks, I'd be surprised if we did go for him.

We could do with a better DM then some of our current options.

We've a wealth of CM's but its quantity over quality at the moment for us, you could make points for Oscar and De Bruyne to play CM but ive focused on our main CM's.

Essien, Lamps - Wrong side of 30.
    Mikel - Not good enough.
    Van Ginkel - Young and promising but lots to prove.
    Ramires - Not the best defensively.

We could do with him but its dependent on one of the above leaving, hopefully Mikel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Alderweirald wouldnt be a bad choice, but hes not been linked with us at all from what Ive read. Final year of his contract too so should be cheapish.

Think he can play right back too

TheGunns wrote: »
    Alderweirald wouldnt be a bad choice, but hes not been linked with us at all from what Ive read. Final year of his contract too so should be cheapish.

Think he can play right back too

Yeah, the fact he can play on the right was what had me wondering. Seems like a player wenger would go for, plus you'd have to imagine we'd have good relations with Ajax having Overmers there.

Yeah, the fact he can play on the right was what had me wondering. Seems like a player wenger would go for, plus you'd have to imagine we'd have good relations with Ajax having Overmers there.

and Bergkamp is there to ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not sure if Alderweirald is what we need. I'll be surprised if we sign him. The obvious option for him is Spurs and reunify himself and Vertonghen which would be mildly distressing for us as it would make Spurs better defensively imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

cson wrote: »
    Not sure if Alderweirald is what we need. I'll be surprised if we sign him. The obvious option for him is Spurs and reunify himself and Vertonghen which would be mildly distressing for us as it would make Spurs better defensively imo.

Sign him so they can't have him :pac:

Gustavo tells ESPN: "I'm assessing the best option. It's a delicate situation. I'll go somewhere where I'll play."

The last bit of that worries me, he seems to want assurances he will play week in week out something Wenger might not be able to guarantee him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shouldn't be a hard sell for Arsene tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gustavo tells ESPN: "I'm assessing the best option. It's a delicate situation. I'll go somewhere where I'll play."

The last bit of that worries me, he seems to want assurances he will play week in week out something Wenger might not be able to guarantee him.
    Would we bench arteta for him, probably not.

Would we bench arteta for him, probably not.

I haven't seen enough of him to know to be honest, but can be fairly certain he would have to work his way into the team he wouldn't just stroll in and be a guaranteed starter. So depending on were his ambitions lie could decide it.

If he's another Vertonghen who is afraid of a battle for first team places he'll join a smaller club.

With our luck with injuries and the amount of spots Gustavo can fill, surely there will be room in the starting 11 each week for him?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement