Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

From reading bbc and guardian, Liverpool seem to have more or less said 55 will do it.

We're not really far off then.

God fcuking knows how this will pan out though.

Hopehopehopehopehope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gosplan wrote: »
    From reading bbc and guardian, Liverpool seem to have more or less said 55 will do it.

We're not really far off then.

God fcuking knows how this will pan out though.

Hopehopehopehopehope

You'd be hoping they meet somewhere in the middle because 55 is madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

AdamD wrote: »
    You'd be hoping they meet somewhere in the middle because 55 is madness

Anything past 45 and it's too much imo. He is not worth 55 mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

£40m up front + Walcott and I will do business with you lot. :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Cavani is the benchmark then 45 is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'd be the second highest transfer fee ever paid by a British club. Some smoke.

Unless Suarez says "I want to join Arsenal" and the clubs agree a fee then it wont happen for all the excitement about big numbers. The club do not WANT to sell him and if push should come to shove will do so only to an overseas club. I think they'd sooner risk him being a bit moody for a while if still a Liverpool player come Sept 1st.

If Higuain is bought by Napoli then you can be sure Real Madrid will make an enquiry. They'll get 30m for their man and another 10 will get them Suarez.

Say that quickly and it seems so easy doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Well I for one am happy the cobwebs have been swept off the purse and we are trying are arm.

Nice change, try get some end product now.

and fcuk Monaco and PSG for the inflation in this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Kess73 wrote: »
    £40m up front + Walcott and I will do business with you lot. :pac:

So you're valuing Suarez at 65 million? Are you the one who valued Andy Carroll for Liverpool?

mike65 wrote: »
    Unless Suarez says "I want to join Arsenal" and the clubs agree a fee then it wont happen for all the excitement about big numbers. The club do not WANT to sell him and if push should come to shove will do so only to an overseas club. I think they'd sooner risk him being a bit moody for a while if still a Liverpool player come Sept 1st.

If Higuain is bought by Napoli then you can be sure Real Madrid will make an enquiry. They'll get 30m for their man and another 10 will get them Suarez.

Say that quickly and it seems so easy doesn't it?
    Suarez could very well go on strike, it wouldn't be unprecedented. Even if he doesn't, dismissing the potential problems of forcing him to stay as him just 'being a bit moody for a while' is a very optimistic look at the likely outcomes.

I don't think there's any guarantee Madrid will go for Suarez either, personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

HazDanz wrote: »
    Anything past 45 and it's too much imo. He is not worth 55 mil.

Cavani went for 55M and Suarez regularly out performs him when they play in the same side together for Uruguay. Plus Suarez is a much better player now than Torres was when Liverpool sold him to Chelsea. He's on a 3 year contract. They don't want to sell him. I think it'll certainly take 50M from an English club to get him. A direct competitor. They may actually sell to Madrid for a little less.

Cavani went for 55M and Suarez regularly out performs him when they play in the same side together for Uruguay. Plus Suarez is a much better player now than Torres was when Liverpool sold him to Chelsea. He's on a 3 year contract. They don't want to sell him. I think it'll certainly take 50M from an English club to get him. A direct competitor. They may actually sell to Madrid for a little less.

Cavani doesn't bite people though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If Arsenal acquire Suarez then we better get another player as his back up, as good as he is he is so volatile and unpredictable that if he is banned or whatever then what. I am not sure he is worth the trouble tbh. Joey Barton should have been a great player but so volatile and what a team gains then loses just as quickly. Anyway its only conjecture at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cavani doesn't bite people though

Take off 5M then on the off chance he does that again. It's still 50M.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If Arsenal acquire Suarez then we better get another player as his back up, as good as he is he is so volatile and unpredictable that if he is banned or whatever then what. I am not sure he is worth the trouble tbh. Joey Barton should have been a great player but so volatile and what a team gains then loses just as quickly. Anyway its only conjecture at the minute.

Giroud, Podolski and Walcott are plenty of back up if we did land him. If we got Suarez & Bernard then all we need is a back up CB (and a DM if i'm being greedy).

Apparently Liverpool think the clause means they just have to inform Suarez of the bid, whereas his agent thinks its a release clause. A couple of people on twitter, including John Cross have said this.

Also hes played 31 and 33 league games in the last 2 seasons respectively. Not that bad tbh, doesn't seem to get injured, just banned.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    So you're valuing Suarez at 65 million? Are you the one who valued Andy Carroll for Liverpool?

No I am not valuing Suarez at 65m because Walcott sure as hell is not a 25m pound player, not yet anyway.

But if Arsenal wanted Suarez, then I would want them to lose a decent player along with a big wedge of cash. Basically what I am saying is that if a team in the same league wants Suarez then, as a Liverpool supporter, I would expect Liverpool to try and make that team pay through the nose. At that point the ball would be in the court of the wannabe buyer.

£40m on it's own would not satisfy me if the buying team is an English one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Do these people not keep files?

Hadn't realised international footie was the barometer for judging players - we should bid 25m for Messi so.

Leaving aside disciplinary and PR issues aside, Cavani is a far more proven player than Suarez. Don't imagine many outside of Liverpool would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Still can't see it. £40m+ for a player who seems to want out of the country? It'll be Madrid after they sell Higuain to Napoli. So who's left? There are still a few options of course, but with Wenger's comments on how important Giroud is going to be next season, I'm not convinced we'll bring in a high profile striker at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Apparently Liverpool think the clause means they just have to inform Suarez of the bid, whereas his agent thinks its a release clause. A couple of people on twitter, including John Cross have said this.

Also hes played 31 and 33 league games in the last 2 seasons respectively. Not that bad tbh, doesn't seem to get injured, just banned.

I have never heard of an "inform the player" clause before now. I doubt such a thing even exists as it makes so little sense. Especially when Liverpool announce to the world that we made a bid in the first place.

• Advertisement

No I am not valuing Suarez at 65m because Walcott sure as hell is not a 25m pound player, not yet anyway.

But if Arsenal wanted Suarez, then I would want them to lose a decent player along with a big wedge of cash. Basically what I am saying is that if a team in the same league wants Suarez then, as a Liverpool supporter, I would expect Liverpool to try and make that team pay through the nose. At that point the ball would be in the court of the wannabe buyer.

£40m on it's own would not satisfy me if the buying team is an English one.

Ashley Young 17m
    Stewart Downing 20m
    James Milner 25m
    Adam Jonhson 10m

Gotta say hes worth at least 20m tbh, look at the prices of English wingers.

He got 14 goals and 10 assists in the league last year, 21 goals in all comps. That's up there with the best wingers

Walcott, 4yrs left on his deal, good profile, very marketable, rocket quick (even if sometimes he can be very poor) off the back of his best season would fetch 20 to 25mil in the current market I reckon. We've got similar fees for adebayor and nasri.

Hadn't realised international footie was the barometer for judging players - we should bid 25m for Messi so.

Leaving aside disciplinary and PR issues aside, Cavani is a far more proven player than Suarez. Don't imagine many outside of Liverpool would disagree.

How exactly?

Suarez has proven his footballing ability in two European leagues, has a better goals and assists per game ratio over his career to date than Cavani has at club level, and has a far superior goals/assists per game ratio at International level.

If you break it down into bulk figures for career goals, career games, and career assists, then Suarez beats Cavani on all three again.

So would love to know what makes Cavani the far more proven player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I have never heard of an "inform the player" clause before now. I doubt such a thing even exists as it makes so little sense. Especially when Liverpool announce to the world that we made a bid in the first place.

Why would a player want such a clause. Sure as hell his agent would be telling him that a club had bid such an amount anyway? There has to be more to it than that.

greendom wrote: »
    Why would a player want such a clause. Sure as hell his agent would be telling him that a club had bid such an amount anyway? There has to be more to it than that.

I think it's somewhere in the middle. £40m will let us talk to Suarez but we still need to agree a fee with Liverpool or something.

How exactly?

Suarez has proven his footballing ability in two European leagues, has a better goals and assists per game ratio over his career to date than Cavani has at club level, and has a far superior goals/assists per game ratio at International level.

If you break it down into bulk figures for career goals, career games, and career assists, then Suarez beats Cavani on all three again.

So would love to know what makes Cavani the far more proven player.

Cavani has 78 in 104 league games for Napoli. 19 in 25 European games.
    Suarez has 38 in 77 league games for Liverpool. 4 in 8 European games.

It might look different if you go further back but I don't think anybody really cares how they did in crappy leagues when they were 21. Suarez does have a better record at international level though:
    Cavani 17 in 54
    Suarez 35 in 69

Ashley Young 17m
    Stewart Downing 20m
    James Milner 25m
    Adam Jonhson 10m

Gotta say hes worth at least 20m tbh, look at the prices of English wingers.

He got 14 goals and 10 assists in the league last year, 21 goals in all comps. That's up there with the best wingers

If we are going to use English player prices then here is another one

Daniel Sturridge - 12m - 11 goals and 5 assists from 16 games.

I'm not saying Walcott is a poor player, far from it as I really rate him, but my point is that as a Liverpool supporter I would want an English club to pay over the odds in some way to get Suarez.

I am sure if some English club was after Wilshire in the morning, you guys would want your club to make the buying team pay through the nose rather than lose a top player for a "fair" or market value price.

Suarez to Arsenal for £40m or Suarez to Real for £40m would each bring a different feeling for me.

Selling to Real would sting in that we would lose our best player for a big sum. But selling to Arsenal for £40m would be a double whammy in that we would lose our best player and at the same time see a team in the same league get a whole lot stronger at our expense.

Taking the big sum of cash plus a good player off an English club would soften the blow for me.

I'm not saying Walcott is a poor player, far from it as I really rate him, but my point is that as a Liverpool supporter I would want an English club to pay over the odds in some way to get Suarez.

I am sure if some English club was after Wilshire in the morning, you guys would want your club to make the buying team pay through the nose rather than lose a top player for a "fair" or market value price.

Suarez to Arsenal for £40m or Suarez to Real for £40m would each bring a different feeling for me.

Selling to Real would sting in that we would lose our best player for a big sum. But selling to Arsenal for £40m would be a double whammy in that we would lose our best player and at the same time see a team in the same league get a whole lot stronger at our expense.

Taking the big sum of cash plus a good player off an English club would soften the blow for me.
    I get your point but I'd argue that Sturridge hit those numbers after being sold for that fee. He had worse goals and assists figures at Chelsea who weren't pushed on keeping him and he wanting out.

Its all irrelevant though as the Suarez deal is unlikely in itself, Walcott going would be unthinkable.

I'm sure Liverpool would rather 50m from Madrid than 40m from Arsenal too. Selling Suarez to Arsenal would make an unlikely 4th place challenge nigh-on impossible.

Don't even go there. Future captain. Not leaving. Ever.

We're not signing Suarez either, so all your hypothetical valuations are just a waste of your time.

Cavani has 78 in 104 league games for Napoli. 19 in 25 European games.
    Suarez has 38 in 77 league games for Liverpool. 4 in 8 European games.

It might look different if you go further back but I don't think anybody really cares how they did in crappy leagues when they were 21. Suarez does have a better record at international level though:
    Cavani 17 in 54
    Suarez 35 in 69

Whilst it is not the strongest league, I would hardly call the Dutch league a crappy league, and I would certainly not rate Serie A as being anywhere near as strong a league as the Premiership.

Cavani has yet to prove that he can excel in more than one European league and has yet to show that he can perform in one of the top three leagues in Europe.

• Advertisement

That was AFTER the move. Before the move he had 13 goals in 63 games for Chelsea. 26 in 96 overall.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cavani has yet to prove that he can excel in more than one European league and has yet to show that he can perform in one of the top three leagues in Europe.

And he won't either because he went to bloody France!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don't know if it's just me but the Liverpool fans seem to be getting more irritable so we must be getting somewhere!

L'prof wrote: »
    Don't even go there. Future captain. Not leaving. Ever.

We're not signing Suarez either, so all your hypothetical valuations are just a waste of your time.

Yeah but it is my time to waste, just as pretty much all the Suarez talk from Arsenal supporters on here is their time to waste on hypothetical valuations. There is no harm to it, and as long as we are all civil about it, the worst that can happen is a few disagreements/discussions on different players etc.:)

As for Wilshire being a future captain who will not leave..... well that is just your hypothetical take on things and I look forward to Wilshire playing for Spurs next year. :D

Actually I don't, and would hate to see him join Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I don't know if it's just me but the Liverpool fans seem to be getting more irritable so we must be getting somewhere!

Not at all. Just hoping for a bit of discussion with maybe a little friendly banter thrown in. Certainly not looking to rub anyone the wrong way as I don't have any dislike of the club you support or those that follow it (despite having sat in Anfield in 1989 on the day when a certain Michael Thomas scored an injury time goal:mad:)

I'm certain Liverpool would rather 35m to real than 40 to arsenal. Makes perfect sense for them not to sell to a rival. Still makes me sick seeing rvp in a man u shirt.
    I still think suarez will end up at Madrid. Soldado to spurs. And us gooners fuming at a missed opportunity to push on.

Yeah but it is my time to waste, just as pretty much all the Suarez talk from Arsenal supporters on here is their time to waste on hypothetical valuations. There is no harm to it, and as long as we are all civil about it, the worst that can happen is a few disagreements/discussions on different players etc.:)

As for Wilshire being a future captain who will not leave..... well that is just your hypothetical take on things and I look forward to Wilshire playing for Spurs next year. :D

Actually I don't, and would hate to see him join Spurs

...I can't hear you...

I'll never say never again in this day and age, but he's our great hope. I think he'll definitely win trophies at Arsenal. How soon and how often they come will play a big part in his decision at some stage though. 11 years at the club already and counting!

Not at all. Just hoping for a bit of discussion with maybe a little friendly banter thrown in. Certainly not looking to rub anyone the wrong way as I don't have any dislike of the club you support or those that follow it (despite having sat in Anfield in 1989 on the day when a certain Michael Thomas scored an injury time goal:mad:)

Sorry I wasn't taking about yourself. Was just reading reddit and the likes and the Liverpool fans seem to be resorting more and more to tired clichés about arsenal to deflect from it.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    ...I can't hear you...

I'll never say never again in this day and age, but he's our great hope. I think he'll definitely win trophies at Arsenal. How soon and how often they come will play a big part in his decision at some stage though. 11 years at the club already and counting!

And for that reason alone I hope he stays with Arsenal his whole career. Not because I think he will or will not be top class, but simply because it is a great feeling as a supporter to have a talent to pin such hope upon and it is something that every supporter should be able to feel at some point for their club.

Like Gerrard for you guys. Special having a one club legend in this day and age.

Best player never to win the premier league? Can't say I feel too sorry for him with his champions league winners medal though!

Actually the thing is that this **** will probably drag on for a while seeing as the bid was rejected and there's so much disagreement over the clause.

Maybe we'll get others done under the radar in the mean time.

Sorry I wasn't taking about yourself. Was just reading reddit and the likes and the Liverpool fans seem to be resorting more and more to tired clichés about arsenal to deflect from it.

You will rarely, if ever, see me going into threads of rival clubs to make any sort of dig. Think nearly every spat I have had in the footy forum has been in the Liverpool superthread. :D

I might disagree and debate stuff (along with talking my fair share of rubbish) in other superthreads, but I do like reading stuff about the players in other teams, about the background stuff at those clubs, and just hearing the stories told by supporters. It also gives a few new names to chat to for an hour or so every now and then, rather than having the same circular discussion in the LFC superthread.

Plus there are a few London clubs that I have had a soft spot for due to having spent a lot of my match going time travelling down to their grounds over the last 30 years give or take. Chelsea and Arsenal in particular I have a lot of good memories of over the years (even though the on pitch results did not always go our way) and I have tended to view the supporters of those two clubs in a fairly good light as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Whats going on at this stage?

Does anyone actually believe that arsene wenger actually bid 40million on suarez?? Maybe he did as a smoke screen knowing that liverpool would reject all to cover up another transfer in the works but there is no way im believing arsene wenger bid 40m on a player let alone it being suarez?

I dont know what to think at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Like when Barca pissed us off with their constant persuit of our players, b@stards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

John W. Henry ‏@John_W_Henry

What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?

Yikes. Sounds like we'll need an extra £10m over so for Suarez if that's what Liverpool's owner thinks of the £40m bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

John W. Henry ‏@John_W_Henry

What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?

Yikes. Sounds like we'll need an extra £10m over so for Suarez if that's what Liverpool's owner thinks of the £40m bid.

John Henry showing his "class" there. Hes just trying to look big for his Liverpool fans. He knows its inevitable that his prized asset wants out and will be leaving. Whether thats to us or not is an entirely different question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

This higuan Suarez arsenal Madrid little saga is very interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jesus even after we make a 40 million bid people are still being negative :eek:, yeh it no signing but it's a massive signal of intent by the club it's a start and there is no way in hell it was done as a smokescreen to say we tried.

We bid 40 million and 1 pound because either it means were allowed talk to Suarez or it's a release clause met seems to be differing opinions between Liverpool and what his agent thinks.

But if were allowed talk at a minimum now it's time to see if Wenger and Co. can sell the club and were they see it going.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement