Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Alderweirald is top class to be fair if ye could get him it would be a great signing. if spours bid of 15 for him and ericson is close to true then they could be the signings of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Paulegend wrote: »
    Alderweirald is top class to be fair if ye could get him it would be a great signing. if spours bid of 15 for him and ericson is close to true then they could be the signings of the season

Combined?!

Eriksen is worth more than that alone.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paulegend wrote: »

Top class would be his fellow countrymen in Vertonghen and Kompany.

Alderweireld's a level below them at least and that's probably his ceiling too when it comes to potential. Certainly better than the awful Vermaelen (I'm glad I can say this nowadays without getting lynched :P) though.

Bad feeling it's fecking Spurs with the bid. Would gladly have at Liverpool myself.

Oh, and they aren't getting Eriksen and Aliderweireld at £15M. They can bid that much if they want, once Ajax wipe away the tears of laughter, they'll reject it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Vertonghen was cracking value when you think of it at £9.5m last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

maximoose wrote: »
    Combined?!

Eriksen is worth more than that alone.

They're both in the last year of their contracts. Wenger should jump in for those 2 once we qualify, don't see them leaving before then and they'd be 2 very good signings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

cson wrote: »
    Vertonghen was cracking value when you think of it at £9.5m last year.

Yeah but wasn't up for fighting for a place in Arsenal and that is apparently why he went to Spurs. I know absolutely nothing about Gustavo, but if he has similar ideas and isn't willing to fight for a place, then I'm not sure that he is the type of player we want.

The last thing we need is for someone to sign, have a bad patch and not be willing to fight to get back into the first team. We don't need another Bendtner or any competition for "laziest player who is just at Arsenal to collect pay cheques".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

South American media claiming we have made an £49.8m bid for Suarez. No doubt more nonsense

its a rag source but aparantly spurs think they have a chance for 15 for the double swoop

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-target-toby-alderweireld-offer-2151686

its a steal at that price. id be gutted. we where after ericson alone earlier in the summer but we wouldnt stomp up teh 12 million they wanted. made me think that the scouts must not have rated him as highly as he is made out to be. still though 15 million for both seems like a bargain

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Top class would be his fellow countrymen in Vertonghen and Kompany.

Alderweireld's a level below them at least and that's probably his ceiling too when it comes to potential. Certainly better than the awful Vermaelen (I'm glad I can say this nowadays without getting lynched :P) though.

Bad feeling it's fecking Spurs with the bid. Would gladly have at Liverpool myself.

Oh, and they aren't getting Eriksen and Aliderweireld at £15M. They can bid that much if they want, once Ajax wipe away the tears of laughter, they'll reject it.

id love them at liverpool for that price. but i doubt we have the cash. plus if arsenal miss out on suarez theyll have free cash to go after them. i could see ericson going there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was out golfing and came back to this.
    For God's sake. Nothing done yet ?
    What is it about us that everyone else wants to buy the same players as we do?
    Are we still haggling over the last shilling?
    Just get the bloody business done for once.
    Six days to kick-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

TheBza wrote: »

DC ‏@DLDN22 17h
    Also, I hear the Gustavo bid is closer to £18m than £14m. If it goes through (hopefully this week) it will be a club record fee.

Probably true? All the sources are reporting that we're yet to agree to personal terms though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

What is it about us that everyone else wants to buy the same players as we do?

That's a good sign surely!

Are we still haggling over the last shilling?

Don't seem to be. Think it's more of an issue with the player picking his destination.
    Just get the bloody business done for once.
    Six days to kick-off.

For once I actually believe that we are truly trying. I see three signings before close of window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The CL qualifier deadline is Wed, right? Let's hope Gustavo doesn't become another saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The CL qualifier deadline is Wed, right? Let's hope Gustavo doesn't become another saga.

I heard it was today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

greendom wrote: »
    I heard it was today

Yep, today is the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

today at 11 PM. looks like we will be using the current squad for the two legs.

maybe wenger is waiting to secure CL football before trying to secure big price signings?? after all his current squad are top 4 standard albeit spurs have gotten stronger and the europa is hardly a massive step up. he might not be in a rush to sign anyone as the market is inflated and he doesnt want to end up doing a chelsea and signing shevchenko or torres

Gustavo: "I have heard about the Arsenal interest. It’s a big club we’re talking about here, so of course I’d like to play for them.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Raf32 wrote: »

Current squad is more than good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As long as our current squad isn't weakened by injury we should be good enough to beat Fenerbache.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Current squad is more than good enough.

yup agreed has to be enough or we dont deserve to be in it.

We shouldn't be cocky about the first leg. If the Turks got 2 early goals and began to defend we might find it hard to break them down.
    We should go with the intention of keeping a clean sheet as we probably will and maybe sneak an away goal or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Gustavo: "I have heard about the Arsenal interest. It’s a big club we’re talking about here, so of course I’d like to play for them.”

Source?

edit: Never mind mate, found it. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

TheBza wrote: »
    Source?

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gustavo " Arsenal are an amazing club and I want to play there. I think Suarez, Sakho and Messi should join me there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Would be really happy if we signed him, and Wenger turns out to prove me wrong and emiringstar right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Almost a positive feeling in the thread today.

Gustavo is coming. New bid for Suarez will happen this week. Rodgers making it even harder for him to play for Liverpool again.

Hopefully be getting used to positive arsenal feelings after each weekend this year

Seriously though, Gustavo would be a good start. 2 more quality signings and were set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

the anticipation i will have going into this season if we sign gustavo, suarez and maybe 1 more filler will be unreal. something i haven't felt for arsenal in years. we will no doubt be challenging for the league if it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Can someone explain why the money for Gustavo is fairly low? Central midfielders are in a premium and he seems to be goin for fairly cheap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think he only played 17 games for BM last year so isn't in the limelight that much.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think he only played 17 games for BM last year so isn't in the limelight that much.

Started 16 games in the Bundesliga. He had a lot of subs appearances last season.

He is actually any good? Ive never seen him play tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

36 according to Wikipedia, 22 in the league.

Six days to kick-off.

5 days. Pretty much time to accept no new players for the start of the season then the "optimists" can begin settling as the transfer deadline approaches when we sign someone who can play in 4 positions and some French lad no-one's heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/12/arsenal-luiz-gustavo-bayern-munich?CMP=twt_gu

Thats as good as done for me. NICE.

Well done Arsene. Now, MOAR SIGNINGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Gustavo would be a massive signing for us. He is what we need now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    Can someone explain why the money for Gustavo is fairly low? Central midfielders are in a premium and he seems to be goin for fairly cheap.

The reason he is going cheap is because Bayern are willing to sell meaning it doesn't take a silly offer for them to agree.

He has featured a lot for Bayern but with the arrivals of Thiago and Gotze who both play centrally and a new manager he has been pushed down the pecking order.

And lets be honest being pushed down the pecking order by those two is not exactly an indication of a player ability because Gotze and Thiago are immense.

• Advertisement

Love to see midfield of Arteta, Gustavo and Rambo for Villa game if possible. I know I left jack out.

5 days. Pretty much time to accept no new players for the start of the season then the "optimists" can begin settling as the transfer deadline approaches when we sign someone who can play in 4 positions and some French lad no-one's heard of.

I think Brendan Rogers is digging an even bigger hole for himself in the Suarez affair and we will get him.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing is now being orchestrated to appease the Pool fans and ensure Suarez comes to Arsenal. If Rodgers wanted him to remain he wouldn't be stirring things.

Getting worried with Madrid's lack of progress with Bale, could switch attentions and literally ruin our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I think Brendan Rogers is digging an even bigger hole for himself in the Suarez affair and we will get him.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing is now being orchestrated to appease the Pool fans and ensure Suarez comes to Arsenal. If Rodgers wanted him to remain he wouldn't be stirring things.

exactly what i was thinking reading over all his comments. i am really confident we will get suarez

Yeh Rodgers with his whole re affirming his stance today that Suarez needs to apologize to have a future is digging that hole a little bit deeper so that there is no way back for him.

Really can't see Suarez apologizing, I it is true and we are going back in with a 3rd bid Liverpool might find it to hard to refuse.

Yeh Rodgers with his whole re affirming his stance today that Suarez needs to apologize to have a future is digging that hole a little bit deeper so that there is no way back for him.

Really can't see Suarez apologizing, I it is true and we are going back in with a 3rd bid Liverpool might find it to hard to refuse.

Where did his comments come from today? We're they just put on the website or was he asked about it in a press conference or somehing??

• Advertisement

Where did his comments come from today? We're they just put on the website or was he asked about it in a press conference or somehing??

I'm not sure to be honest just seen Sky Sports news tweeting it today a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

he finds it hard to keep his mouth shut that man. Sometimes when I get annoyed at Wenger I rejoice that we don't have a manager like him.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    he finds it hard to keep his mouth shut that man. Sometimes when I get annoyed at Wenger I rejoice that we don't have a manager like him.

Him and ex Liverpool players are the only ones making any noise about it. Why make more comments about it today? There was no new developments, nothing has changed.

Liverpool are the ones keeping the 'saga' going

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Great article. Out of interest, in the Champions League Funds 2012/13 table, the two Italian clubs seem to have got twice as much "TV Pool" money as everyone else despite neither getting past the q/f - how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Him and ex Liverpool players are the only ones making any noise about it. Why make more comments about it today? There was no new developments, nothing has changed.

Liverpool are the ones keeping the 'saga' going

I don't get his logic, Henry's comments last week were obviously to keep Suarez's transfer value up but then Rodgers makes nonsense statements like this which patently make it harder for Suarez to stay which lower is value in theory.

One thing about Rodgers is that he loves the sound of his own voice and if journalists keep questioning him on this issue he will continue to talk himself into saying these things.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement