Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You didn't say we're going to win the quadruple this season, by this thread's standards that means you're a downer.

Jasus you don't half talk shiite do ya.

Jasus you don't half talk shiite do ya.

What did he (I assume) say that was too critical or pessimistic?

What did he (I assume) say that was too critical or pessimistic?

I'm on about you saying if you don't say were going to win the quadruple your considered a downer then your other well to be honest embarrassing little rant that followed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Ramsey getting his sh*t together these last few months is like a new signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

HazDanz wrote: »
    Ramsey getting his sh*t together these last few months is like a new signing

Despite the knock he picked up, he's in my Fantasy Football team. I can't think of a higher honour than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So we have to massage headlines before posting links or quoting them because to just pass them on isn't being supportive enough?

It's almost a month since I was criticised for being a downer because apparently we were bound to strengthen before the start of the season and I was just being pessimistic. I was right then to be annoyed but the "positivity" posters said there was still time. I'm still right to be annoyed but I don't want to be for much longer on this. While I'm right and given out to for it, and while others get criticised for repeating what they've read then the happy, shiny people who don't like reality can **** right off with their "support the club" bull****. Because that's what it is, complete bull****.

No what is complete bull**** is some poster coming on here and claiming to be an Arsenal supporter (for years!!!) and yet never saying anything positive, even during the good times, which you have done. Speed has long been a "supporter" of Wenger leaving the club and only post negatives, taking every opportunity to get in digs that Wenger isn't doing the job because he hasn't bought player x, despite player x never having being linked with the club, not being of good enough quality and playing in a position where we don't need more players.

There has been a few others who have just started posting over the summer and who also claim to be Arsenal supporters, and maybe they are, but going from their negativity and their praise of Sp*rs I'm really not sure yet.

Most of this at this stage have come on here and have had rants over the course of the summer and I don't think anyone (of the regular posters) hasn't, but when you have certain posters, especially new/ non-regular posters and a whole lot of Liverpool supporters in here for the last three months, it gets a bit much to handle at times.

I support Arsenal, not Arsene Wenger. He has done us well in the past and I believe he will come through for us again. Like every other Arsenal supporter, I had hoped everything would have been sorted before the summer tour, but at this stage, if that doesn't happen I don't expect signings before 31st of August. It's not ideal and I'm not happy about it but I believe Wenger will get the players we need in, especially considering how many players we got rid of.

If he doesn't sign players by then I will be as pissed off as every other Arsenal supporter and post as such, but given Wengers record, I will hold my opinion until the window is closed.

I'm on about you saying if you don't say were going to win the quadruple your considered a downer then your other well to be honest embarrassing little rant that followed.

Go ahead, where is the line before someone is a downer? Paraphrasing a news headline makes someone a downer apparently. I was being a little bit dry suggesting that only saying we'll win a quadruple makes someone not be a downer but where's the line exactly? I don't think we'll win the quadruple, with our current squad I think a domestic cup is all we can aim for. There, I just said that as things are we're not going to win the league, is that being a downer? As things stand the team who finished behind us by a point last season have added several new starters. Would suggesting that they may finish ahead of us make someone a downer?

Or you know, go ahead and say I'm talking **** without actually addressing anything, might as well make it 3 for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This is this thread:

Analogy of the year

farna_boy wrote: »
    No what is complete bull**** is some poster coming on here and claiming to be an Arsenal supporter (for years!!!) and yet never saying anything positive, even during the good times, which you have done. Speed has long been a "supporter" of Wenger leaving the club and only post negatives, taking every opportunity to get in digs that Wenger isn't doing the job because he hasn't bought player x, despite player x never having being linked with the club, not being of good enough quality and playing in a position where we don't need more players.
    I'm not "pro-Wenger" either. The simple reason is that if there is money and he won't spend it then he's in the wrong, simple as. If he cares about the club and they won't release money then he should be saying so. It's getting harder and harder to defend him.
    There has been a few others who have just started posting over the summer and who also claim to be Arsenal supporters, and maybe they are, but going from their negativity and their praise of Sp*rs I'm really not sure yet.
    Go ahead and name one.
    Most of this at this stage have come on here and have had rants over the course of the summer and I don't think anyone (of the regular posters) hasn't, but when you have certain posters, especially new/ non-regular posters and a whole lot of Liverpool supporters in here for the last three months, it gets a bit much to handle at times.
    What's hard for me to handle is when someone stating facts is accused of not being a fan or for being pessimistic. I learned in primary school to ignore Liverpool fans, that was quite a while ago.
    I support Arsenal, not Arsene Wenger. He has done us well in the past and I believe he will come through for us again. Like every other Arsenal supporter, I had hoped everything would have been sorted before the summer tour, but at this stage, if that doesn't happen I don't expect signings before 31st of August. It's not ideal and I'm not happy about it but I believe Wenger will get the players we need in, especially considering how many players we got rid of.
    There's still a bloody lot to be done and someone saying "it's gonna happen" when they said the same thing a month ago and a year ago and several years ago it's kinda hard to take their "positivity" seriously.
    If he doesn't sign players by then I will be as pissed off as every other Arsenal supporter and post as such, but given Wengers record, I will hold my opinion until the window is closed.
    Again there's that same thing there's been for the last few years, write-off the first few matches, then a few more matches for "bedding in". It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Soups123 wrote: »
    If Arsenal don't win this could be the shortest LMS in history

That's why I went for Chelsea ;) :pac:

Go ahead, where is the line before someone is a downer? Paraphrasing a news headline makes someone a downer apparently. I was being a little bit dry suggesting that only saying we'll win a quadruple makes someone not be a downer but where's the line exactly? I don't think we'll win the quadruple, with our current squad I think a domestic cup is all we can aim for. There, I just said that as things are we're not going to win the league, is that being a downer? As things stand the team who finished behind us by a point last season have added several new starters. Would suggesting that they may finish ahead of us make someone a downer?

Or you know, go ahead and say I'm talking **** without actually addressing anything, might as well make it 3 for 3.

:pac::pac::pac::pac: well see this time you actually used your brain and made points instead of talking out your rear end as per usual. But even your points are made in your usual argumentive tone as if to say I dare anyone disagree with me.

Did I say someone posting a headline makes them a downer? No, but I do understand Papa's frustrations some posters in here are seriously depressing and never have anything positive to say which can grow tiresome reading were doomed and Wenger out nonsense and if you don't agree well then your obviously a pro Wenger idiot according to some.

Your points may be correct but for the millionth time as a reply to this kind of argument myself and others have made now is not the time to rant about that the window is still open and while it is I will reserve my judgement on this summer I'm betting if the club do sign the players we all hope and want a lot of posters in here will suddenly disappear or go very quiet for a while. As Farna boy said I will be angry as hell if we don't but until we run out of time I wont judge or keep banging on about Spurs or there squad a lot can happen in the time remaining so until we do know what players will be were come September moaning constantly about the what if's is pointless.

P.S in the first two post there was nothing to address you were moaning for the sake of moaning and in a rather cringeworthy manner. Reading your post would make watching the office as comfortable viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This is this thread:

Couldn't sum up this thread any better. :D

If I said who I went for I'd get lynched :pac:, went for Arsenal in the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

As did I, some bluffing going on ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If I said who I went for I'd get lynched :pac:, went for Arsenal in the other one.

Clearly picked Spurs.

Clearly picked Spurs.

Your powers of deduction are amazing :p.

Staggering, I know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

IT's the Power of Love :pac:

Nah we don't stand a chance but we will give it a go. I'm hoped I'm proved wrong but until we sign a few players I think top 4 is once again our target. We are really bare in terms of squad and one or two serious injuries to key players would screw us over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

And them away from home in a London derby first game of the season, you're brave :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arsenal fan's would rather run around butt naked screaming all crazy kinda ramblings then say they backed Spures.

Time to jump in you're Delorean and erase the crap you just written Marty.

Looper007 wrote: »
    IT's the Power of Love :pac:

Nah we don't stand a chance but we will give it a go. I'm hoped I'm proved wrong but until we sign a few players I think top 4 is once again our target. We are really bare in terms of squad and one or two serious injuries to key players would screw us over.

I think we will and have to sign some players if we don't it would be lunacy one thing we can all agree on is at the moment the squad is looking very thin.

But im confident players will be signed, and hopefully we can get Bendtner to fcuk off somewhere anywhere.

:pac::pac::pac::pac: well see this time you actually used your brain and made points instead of talking out your rear end as per usual. But even your points are made in your usual argumentive tone as if to say I dare anyone disagree with me.
    Well done, 3 for 3 and a hilarious bit of hypocrisy.

Out of interest have you been reading this thread at all?
    "I'm not happy with the summer."
    "Wait and see."
    "We've been saying that for years."
    "Support the team.
    Did I say someone posting a headline makes them a downer? No, but I do understand Papa's frustrations some posters in here are seriously depressing and never have anything positive to say which can grow tiresome reading were doomed and Wenger out nonsense and if you don't agree well then your obviously a pro Wenger idiot according to some.
    What do you understand exactly? I don't understand how simply stating what's happened or what's been said makes someone a downer or why someone would take issue with it.
    As for the Wenger issue, I've yet to come across anyone who bothers to refute the points I made in my last post or to suggest what the other possibilities are.
    Your points may be correct but for the millionth time as a reply to this kind of argument myself and others have made now is not the time to rant about that the window is still open and while it is I will reserve my judgement on this summer I'm betting if the club do sign the players we all hope and want a lot of posters in here will suddenly disappear or go very quiet for a while. As Farna boy said I will be angry as hell if we don't but until we run out of time I wont judge or keep banging on about Spurs or there squad a lot can happen in the time remaining so until we do know what players will be were come September moaning constantly about the what if's is pointless.
    How long do we reserve judgement for? If we're already half a dozen points off the lead after that many matches and people are still waffling about letting players settle in then is it OK to point back at the "Wait and see, it'll be fine" posts?
    So far it's been a bad summer, not an OK or mediocre or average summer. It's less than 5 days til kick-off but we're already looking at the end of the window instead. We've sold off most of our back-up players (which I'm fine with) and added nothing.
    P.S in the first two post there was nothing to address you were moaning for the sake of moaning and in a rather cringeworthy manner. Reading your post would make watching the office as comfortable viewing.
    4 for 3, amazing.

And them away from home in a London derby first game of the season, you're brave :)

:pac: I know figured go for one a bit left field so if one the bigger teams loose in one the more comfortable games leaves me in a good position ;).

Could of coarse back fire terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Looper007 wrote: »
    We are really bare in terms of squad and one or two serious injuries to key players would screw us over.

We're shockingly light alright. with 55 or so games planned its almost irresponsible to go into the season with the squad so short in places.

Thats why i do think we will sign some lads.

come on Gustavo.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    We're shockingly light alright. with 55 or so games planned its almost irresponsible to go into the season with the squad so short in places.

Thats why i do think we will sign some lads.

come on Gustavo.

55 games and not winning the league would be a pretty poor season. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Come to Pappa Gustavo you know it makes sense :-D

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Come to Pappa Gustavo you know it makes sense :-D

I'll send him straight to Arsenal :pac:

I'll send him straight to Arsenal :pac:

Touché :D

• Advertisement

So where does Gustavo go in the team?

Just in front of the back 4 and behind Arteta/Wilshere or Cazorla/Ramsey. Have to say I was really impressed with Ramsey on Saturday if he can bring that into the new season Wenger has a huge selection headache for the middle of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He don't

He don't

If all goes to plan he will start ahead of Arteta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If all goes to plan he will start ahead of Arteta.

I'm very happy with arteta/Ramsey

So he would have to force his way in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm very happy with arteta/Ramsey

So he would have to force his way in

I can see them battling for the position, with Gustavo (five years younger) as the long-term heir to Arteta.

• Advertisement

He don't

I don't think he would initially but after a few months who knows. Be nice to have some real competition in the squad though for places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

and to think of the amount of sick abuse Ramsey was getting off some of our supporters.

TheBza wrote: »
    and to think of the amount of sick abuse Ramsey was getting off some of our supporters.
    I still don't have him in our best 11 and he's a bit to go to get into it.

Also if tomorrow there is a "Wenger debate" then one more point to note is how close our wage bill is to United's. Not sure how anyone can defend that and where we are in comparison.

I still don't have him in our best 11 and he's a bit to go to get into it.

He was immense the end of last season, i think he deserves a chance in our best 11, going to be a big season for him this year. No player deserves the amount of crap he was taking from some our "fans", was embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Also if tomorrow there is a "Wenger debate" then one more point to note is how close our wage bill is to United's. Not sure how anyone can defend that and where we are in comparison.

Surely its not that close considering the wages of the likes of rooney and ferdinand?

Surely its not that close considering the wages of the likes of rooney and ferdinand?

It's not that close before we got rid of all the deadwood this season our wage bill was said to be around 145 million United's from what I can find is thought to be around the 180 million mark.

It's not that close before we got rid of all the deadwood this season our wage bill was said to be around 145 million United's from what I can find is thought to be around the 180 million mark.

I wonder how much money we freed up after getting rid of all the deadwood?

I'd imagine quite a lot the likes of Santos, Arshavin and Chamakh, Squillaci etc were all said to be on a decent wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

roughly £25 million of wages

Crazy money, on top of the fees we paid for some of them players.

He was immense the end of last season, i think he deserves a chance in our best 11, going to be a big season for him this year. No player deserves the amount of crap he was taking from some our "fans", was embarrassing.
    I think "immense" is very much overdoing it.
    The Swiss Ramble link earlier had us at £143 million and United at £162 million. It's called "2012" so if it's the calendar year then ours is higher than the number listed due to the signings last summer. If it's for the 2011-2012 season then add about £12 million to ours just for the 3 main signings we made and take £5 million off for RVP. As also mentioned in the article we then gave 6 of the Brits new contracts. Conservatively that together would very nearly take us up to United's pay levels for last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bah!

Yet another day when I log in and hope the five pages I'm about to read have some good news. Instead it's about what kind of supporters some people are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm not an eternal pessimist, I just believe this summer has been handled terribly and we've missed a great opportunity. To the people saying "it'll be ok, wait until the window closes", the season starts on Saturday. Not September 1st. If we had been told in July that there would be no new players in before the start of the season, can anyone in here genuinely say they would have been ok with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

7 pages since I closed my eyes last night, I thought we had signed someone!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement