Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Mickeroo wrote: »
    4 days :pac:

Buzzing. 3 games in a row on Saturday. Will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As Arseblog said today, signing Gustavo almost makes too much sense. We're probably going to walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Gourcuff would be a regressive step imo.

Unless we're getting him for < £5m I'd much prefer a younger target with more potential.

Arsenal vs Aston Villa.

I contacted Setanta 2 weeks ago, and a lady told me that the match would be broadcasted on Setanta Ireland and NOT Setanta Sports 1.

This morning, I was disappointed to check the UPC guide for Saturday and see that it was on the pay channel, Setanta Sports 1.

A mistake or harsh reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

4 days :pac:

Joking aside, did anyone start an Arsenal thread fantasy league yet?

Yeah there's 8 of us in so far so get joining lads more the merrier.

The code is 371924-96395

Soups123 wrote: »
    I understand frustrations, I get the lack of player in concerns but player out this summer has been excellent.
    While I'm fine with the players leaving leaving, the squad has been decimated. If we sign 3 starters we'll still be on the verge of playing last year's reserves as soon as some injuries are bunched together.
    The start of the league though isn't the be all and end all, Wenger probably feels the squad he has now is well capable of being thereabouts after the first 8 games with the new additions then in and settled. The league isn't won in the fist 3 weeks. I'd much prefer waiting until the death for players like Gustavo/Suarez than just signing an anyone before the start of the season.
    It can't be won in the first 8 games but last season we were 9th after 8 games and that was that. Signing someone at the death means the settling in excuse lasts even longer.
    People forgot his age and that injury he was coming back from
    It got to the point when even when he played ok he was slated to the high heavens
    My main problem with how he played wasn't down to how he moves, although he's amazingly slow off the mark as well. The issue is that if the team wants to counter attack then bypassing him is pretty much a necessity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Gringo180 wrote: »

The code is 371924-96395

Joined as the Wild Qats :in

(I live in Qatar)

35rtjh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Arsenal vs Aston Villa.

I contacted Setanta 2 weeks ago, and a lady told me that the match would be broadcasted on Setanta Ireland and NOT Setanta Sports 1.

This morning, I was disappointed to check the UPC guide for Saturday and see that it was on the pay channel, Setanta Sports 1.

A mistake or harsh reality?

it's on that channel on the sky guide too

ask in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056889518&page=48 and someone will know for definite what way it works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It can't be won in the first 8 games but last season we were 9th after 8 games and that was that. Signing someone at the death means the settling in excuse lasts even longer.

We are much better equipped this year than last for the opening 8-10 games, definitely not for a season long effort but I think if we added Gustavo and Suarez on deadline day with 1/2 other players we would as a whole be better shaped than last year at that point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The code is 371924-96395

I would but everytime I sign up to do fantasy premier league, I have always lost interest and never managed to last a full season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

The code is 371924-96395

Joined there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've changed my team name to Bitey McRacist

Soups123 wrote: »
    We are much better equipped this year than last for the opening 8-10 games, definitely not for a season long effort but I think if we added Gustavo and Suarez on deadline day with 1/2 other players we would as a whole be better shaped than last year at that point
    Ya think? This time last year we still had Song and had made all our summer signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

keano_afc wrote: »

Was going to ask who did that. Wonderful :D

I don't follow any blogs or the like so has anyone come across any analysis of all the kids we've released? Are we shutting down the academy or something?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't follow any blogs or the like so has anyone come across any analysis of all the kids we've released? Are we shutting down the academy or something?

Not read anything on that but thought the tactics column on arseblog today made a decent case for why we've improved as a team despite not sigining anyone.

http://arseblog.com/2013/08/how-arsenal-have-been-shaping-up-for-201314/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ya think? This time last year we still had Song and had made all our summer signings.

Yep I think we are better prepared at this point for kick off than we where last year, we have a settled team, a starting 11 that know each other and no key player losses to fill or key new players to settle. But as I said we are better prepared for the first 8-10 games after that the squad is too thin and we are lacking quality for a real push

I also think we are better prepared for this season.

Of course, we had Song. But we had a discontent and rattled Song.

There is no doubt that players like our English contingent have improved since this time last season, whether it is marginal or huge.
    We have Wilshere to start the season for the first time since his first season.
    We haven't lost a pivotal player.

Also, that victory against City will give the players confidence, especially Ramsey and Walcott. And Giroud can only be feeling good at the moment too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Our starting line-up for the first game of the season last year was:

Chesney
    Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs
    Arteta Diaby
    Walcott Cazorla Gervinho
    Podolski

Bench: Mannone, Djourou, Santos, Coquelin, Ramsey, Arshavin, Giroud

We're a lot better defensively with Kos, the new improved Ramsey and Sagna in the team, but offensively we don't look to be much ahead of last season. Santi looks unfit and we've lost a lot of our depth (not that it was particularly good depth, but still...). We do have Wilshere, Chambo probably Rosicky available though.

• Advertisement

Not read anything on that but thought the tactics column on arseblog today made a decent case for why we've improved as a team despite not sigining anyone.

http://arseblog.com/2013/08/how-arsenal-have-been-shaping-up-for-201314/
    Basing things on pre-season is unreliable to say the least. Also if we're going with Arteta and Ramsey as suggested that'll mean Wilshere ahead, Giroud up front and Walcott and Cazorla on the "wings". A bloody waste.
    Last season I was hopeful that we were returning to counter-attacking football. We seemed to be trying to get defending right and I assumed we'd add a player or 2 actually capable of that style of play, looks like I was wrong and there was no reason for the ugly stuff we played except a lack of quality available.
    If people want to talk about when we had a settled squad let's look at last February. 3/3 wins in the PL, all by one goal, all while playing stuff that was horrible to watch. Still, maybe it was part of something. Nah, we got knocked out of the FA Cup by Blackburn and then raped by Munich. How much more settled are we meant to be now?

Our starting line-up for the first game of the season last year was:

Chesney
    Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs
    Arteta Diaby
    Walcott Cazorla Gervinho
    Podolski

Bench: Mannone, Djourou, Santos, Coquelin, Ramsey, Arshavin, Giroud

We're a lot better defensively with Kos, the new improved Ramsey and Sagna in the team, but offensively we don't look to be much ahead of last season. Santi looks unfit and we've lost a lot of our depth (not that it was particularly good depth, but still...). We do have Wilshere, Chambo probably Rosicky available though.
    Pretty sure plenty on here knew we were better with Kos than Vermaelen, funny that an injury improves the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Basing things on pre-season is unreliable to say the least. Also if we're going with Arteta and Ramsey as suggested that'll mean Wilshere ahead, Giroud up front and Walcott and Cazorla on the "wings". A bloody waste.
    Last season I was hopeful that we were returning to counter-attacking football. We seemed to be trying to get defending right and I assumed we'd add a player or 2 actually capable of that style of play, looks like I was wrong and there was no reason for the ugly stuff we played except a lack of quality available.
    If people want to talk about when we had a settled squad let's look at last February. 3/3 wins in the PL, all by one goal, all while playing stuff that was horrible to watch. Still, maybe it was part of something. Nah, we got knocked out of the FA Cup by Blackburn and then raped by Munich. How much more settled are we meant to be now?
    Lets just ignore the 8 wins and 2 draws out of 10 afterwards? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Diaby was immense at the start of last season, need someone to take hold like he did. A slow start would be a disaster when I think about it

TheGunns wrote: »
    Diaby was immense at the start of last season, need someone to take hold like he did. A slow start would be a disaster when I think about it

I don't mean to be a complete tool but Diaby against Sunderland was woeful, then against Stoke he was decent.

Obviously had that amazing game against Liverpool and one or two other good performances but it seems that it's only the few moments of magic getting the recognition.

If he had stayed fully fit, it would have been great but he always had that thing about him where he just performed uselessly on occasions.

But maybe I'm just bitter because the only two games I've seen live, Arsenal vs Sunderland (twice), ended 0-0 where he played a shocker in both :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Nah that's fair, he had a stormer against Liverpool alright but otherwise it was a mixed bag from Diaby, and then the usual happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Basing things on pre-season is unreliable to say the least.

Agreed. Although it can't hurt to have had such a good one.

AdamD wrote: »
    Lets just ignore the 8 wins and 2 draws out of 10 afterwards? :confused:
    So it was only then that the squad was settled? Quality of opposition and apathy was a massive factor in our run-in last season.
    The only decent side we beat in the second half of the season was a non-trying Munich after they'd battered us. Our second half of the season looks like this:
    Wins: Stoke, Sunderland, Villa, Swansea, Reading, WBA, Noriwch, Fulham, QPR, Qigan, Newcastle and Munich when they let us.
    Draws: Southampton, Liverpool, Everton, United when they'd already won the league.
    Losses: City, Chelsea, Munich, Spurs.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Agreed. Although it can't hurt to have had such a good one.

Draw with Napoli, lose to Galatasaray, beat City. Anyone looking for anything meaningful from the matches before that wants their head checked.

So it was only then that the squad was settled? Quality of opposition and apathy was a massive factor in our run-in last season.
    The only decent side we beat in the second half of the season was a non-trying Munich after they'd battered us. Our second half of the season looks like this:
    Wins: Stoke, Sunderland, Villa, Swansea, Reading, WBA, Noriwch, Fulham, QPR, Qigan, Newcastle and Munich when they let us.
    Draws: Southampton, Liverpool, Everton, United when they'd already won the league.

Honestly, this post contains a lot of exaggeration. "Munich when they let us". Any Arsenal fan can see the effort both sides put in and the brilliance Arsenal showed that night.
    In fact, it ended a huge unbeaten run against one of the most committed teams in the world.

And to add to that, Bayern didn't exactly give up in their second leg against Barca, did they? No, they creamed Barca twice. So to say they basically let us win is a joke.

Also, you will find that many big teams dropped points to little teams "full of apathy" at the end of last season. So Arsenal's achievements were impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Quality of opposition and apathy was a massive factor in our run-in last season.

This is 100% right, lets not forget how excruciatingly bad we were in the majority of the run in too, people never seem to mention that. It was so so poor at times. There is no way we will get away with that over 38 games.

• Advertisement

Galatasary loss was down to tiredness and cheating from Drogba. I'm talking about in terms of how the team are getting on with each other. They really come across as a group who gets on with each other and we seen the spirit again with coming back from two down version napoli. We weren't fazed at all by city and that also bodes well. We have been weak against the likes of them and especially united in recent years. Hopefully this season we can turn that record around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

This is 100% right, lets not forget how excruciatingly bad we were in the majority of the run in too, people never seem to mention that. It was so so poor at times. There is no way we will get away with that over 38 games.

It was our ability to create chances that let us down we looked so poor going forward, hopefully its improved, certainly looked like it against city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So your pretty much discounting the fact we had the second best form in the league from January till the seasons end? or the fact we had the second best defence in the league last season?

Spin whatever way you want that second half of the season was impressive and our defensive record was equally impressive, a non trying Munich for a team that didn't try a lot of there players have felt the need to say how impressed they were by Arsenal that night, I love how when they beat us they battered us but wait when we outplayed them it was because they weren't trying despite fielding a very strong team that night and a team on a massive run who were demolishing everything put in front of them but for that one night only they only left there winning mentality and competitve streaks at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It was our ability to create chances that let us down we looked so poor going forward, hopefully its improved, certainly looked like it against city.

I wouldn't read much into friendlies.
    City were very loose and teams in the EPL will be anything but. They will be fine-tuned for the games that matter.

Regarding the run in, yeah we didn't exactly put everyone to the sword but... we won. We won games we would have drawn or lost before. United have won championships by winning ugly. It becomes a habit and I'm still happy we did it.

Of course we shouldn't have put ourselves in the position in the first place!

In fairness we did look lively in that game but in the rough and tumble of the 11 men behind the ball football we come up against throughout the season im not so sure it will be any different. Here's hoping though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal went pragmatic - did what they needed to do first.

Strengthening aside, do you have an issue with how we played or approached games then?

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Honestly, this post contains a lot of exaggeration. "Munich when they let us". Any Arsenal fan can see the effort both sides put in and the brilliance Arsenal showed that night.
    In fact, it ended a huge unbeaten run against one of the most committed teams in the world.

And to add to that, Bayern didn't exactly give up in their second leg against Barca, did they? No, they creamed Barca twice. So to say they basically let us win is a joke.

Also, you will find that many big teams dropped points to little teams "full of apathy" at the end of last season. So Arsenal's achievements were impressive.
    Why the massive turnaround then? Points like these raise serious questions about Wenger's ability to manage, if people actually believe what you said.
    I was talking about separate groups, the crap teams are one group, United are another. :pac:
    So your pretty much discounting the fact we had the second best form in the league from January till the seasons end? or the fact we had the second best defence in the league last season?
    Where am I discounting that? As I've said many, many times, and everyone has ignored, if you look back (or think back if capable) to the match threads you'll see what we all thought of the performances and just how many times we scraped through. Easy to talk about bad luck at the start of the year for some people.
    Spin whatever way you want that second half of the season was impressive and our defensive record was equally impressive, a non trying Munich for a team that didn't try a lot of there players have felt the need to say how impressed they were by Arsenal that night, I love how when they beat us they battered us but wait when we outplayed them it was because they weren't trying despite fielding a very strong team that night and a team on a massive run who were demolishing everything put in front of them but for that one night only they only left there winning mentality and competitve streaks at home.
    Again, if Munich were going full-tilt for both matches then either the Arsenal players should have been docked a week's pay or Wenger should've been dragged in front of the board. Only the most blinkered could say that Munich did anything other than try to avoid losing the tie in the second leg.

gosplan wrote: »
    Arsenal went pragmatic - did what they needed to do first.

Strengthening aside, do you have an issue with how we played or approached games then?

Yeah I have a couple of issues. Playing the poor-to-watch stuff is fine if you do it properly but we did it without a proper DM and without displaying much counter-attacking finery.

However we wish to play next year we need to strengthen. When we set up "pragmatically" we still looked vulnerable. Some of the times we tried to play more advanced against decent opposition we looked lost when trying to break through, a common thing over the last 6 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 6m
    Sky Sport News in Germany have spoken to Luiz Gustavo's agent: "He will make a statement on his future on Thursday"

Wouldn't be optimistic about this, usually players just leave if the club are willing to accept bids, no statements necessary..

• Advertisement

Guatavo to make a statement on his future on Thursday, according to his agent. I wonder what that means?

Wonder how much they're gonna pay Flamini a week :)

AdamD wrote: »
    raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 6m
    Sky Sport News in Germany have spoken to Luiz Gustavo's agent: "He will make a statement on his future on Thursday"

Wouldn't be optimistic about this, usually players just leave if the club are willing to accept bids, no statements necessary..

He has offers from a few clubs as well as staying at Bayern should he wish to do so (though he isnt part of Peps plans) so i suppose its natural he wants to take time and mull it over. Wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

keano_afc wrote: »

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah I have a couple of issues. Playing the poor-to-watch stuff is fine if you do it properly but we did it without a proper DM and without displaying much counter-attacking finery.

However we wish to play next year we need to strengthen. When we set up "pragmatically" we still looked vulnerable. Some of the times we tried to play more advanced against decent opposition we looked lost when trying to break through, a common thing over the last 6 years or so.

Granted.

For me though, issues of quality aside, the focus and determination we saw during the run in was what's been lacking for years.

We've had the players to win trophies before but we didn't have that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We don't buy too many 29 year olds. Can't believe this at all.

I don't either, nor do I think Juve will sell. Don't shoot the messenger!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Tick tock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Tick tock

Don't start this, you have been the most optimistic, if you're loosing hope were screwed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement