Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

All joking aside, can we name 18 players for Saturday? We have a squad of 24 according to arsenal.com, but that includes Bendtner, Park, Frimpong and a couple of other no marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    All joking aside, can we name 18 players for Saturday? We have a squad of 24 according to arsenal.com, but that includes Bendtner, Park, Frimpong and a couple of other no marks.

Inc Diaby in that. Hasn't kicked a ball since March.
    This week's stupid International friendlies are no help either. Santi heading to Paraguay FFS.
    Our squad is paper thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

the whole feeling of what the f*ck are we up to is coming back.

I'd be interested to see the squads we register. Even with the fabled 2-3 signings we'll be very much making up the numbers with youths and reserves to have a full squad.

Ah go on then

Szcz

Sagna
    Mert
    Kos
    Gibbs

Arteta
    Wilshere
    Ramsey

Santi
    Walcott
    Giroud

Bench: Fab, Monreal, Jenks, Oxo, Rosicky, Pod, Sanogo(!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah go on then

Szcz

Sagna
    Mert
    Kos
    Gibbs

Arteta
    Wilshere
    Ramsey

Santi
    Walcott
    Giroud

That actually not bad weakest link being Sanogo but we really badly need a couple of signings and especially a CF come on Arsenal get the finger out, as much as I hate to say it I don't think we will be panic buying but I'm getting the feeling more and more were going to let our deals come right down to the wire, and also that a few of them may be depending on the games against Fenerbache.

Hilariously Sanogo appears to be out with a hamstring injury

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would be surprised if Santi starts after that trip. Might give Jack the start depending how he comes through the England game.

Reckon we'll see:

Scez
    Sagna - Kosc - Mert - Gibbs
    Arteta
    Ramsey - Wilshire
    Walcott - Pod
    Giroud

Subs: Fabianski, Cazorla, Ox, Rosicky, Ryo, Diaby, Jenkinson

Ah go on then

Szcz

Sagna
    Mert
    Kos
    Gibbs

Arteta
    Wilshere
    Ramsey

Santi
    Walcott
    Giroud

Sanogo and Monreal are injured.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would be surprised if Santi starts after that trip. Might give Jack the start depending how he comes through the England game.

Reckon we'll see:

Scez
    Arteta
    Ramsey - Wilshire
    Walcott - Pod
    Giroud

I'd be well confident of 3 points with that team.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

Reckon we'll see:

Scez
    Arteta
    Ramsey - Wilshire
    Walcott - Pod
    Giroud

Diaby and Ryo are injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I used to post on Garythegooners site but I left it because I got fed up with all the conspiracy theorists and anti Wenger posters. Which kind of makes what I'm about to post slightly painful and against all I have been sure of over the last number of years. I hope I'm wrong about this. I wrote here some time ago that we are no longer a big club. I'm not saying that our traditions and ethos have lessened - I'm saying we are no longer considered a major player or force to be reckoned with among the elite of European, possibly even English football. We cannot attract big players - the only players we consider are the players that other elite clubs don't want or wish to discard. We were told that we have the wherewithal to sign any target we wish and that we could afford to compete wages wise with other teams. We can't and we don't. If it was a shoot up between Madrid and us for Suarez who would he choose. Like wise Rooney - likewise Sweinsteiger - likewise Benzema. My point is whilst all of us have been saying money is dictating who goes where, the fact is top players don't choose Arsenal because they don't believe they will have success at Arsenal or believe in Arsene's philosophy. We don't attract top players. We're all getting excited over the imminent arrival of Gustavo - but in fact Bayern don't want/don't need him. It was the same story with Higuan - a good player but not a world class player. We are buying players who are under the radar of top clubs or players who are considered not good enough for those clubs. Then if they prove their worth with Arsenal they are being lured away - we can't even keep the players that we have nutured.

This was a summer when I believed we would show our ambition and the club would be vindicated for the previous years of financial prudence - by affording investment to strengthen our squad and challenge realistically in all competitions. Never has the time been so right for solid and ambitious investment - all our major Premiership rivals are in transition as are most of our European rivals. We have a solid base and with two or three marque signings could has added incredible strength and depth. We didn't and now I don't believe we will. We should have been looking at the very best players in England, Europe and South America, drawing up our list and then targeting them. Similar to how Ferguson targeted Van Persie - he knew he needed him and he got him. If Madrid want Bale they WILL get him - they got Ronaldo. Barca got Neymar - Bayern got Goetze and will get Lewandowski. We won't get players like this. We won't press for them and we won't be ambitious enough to even try. If Utd sign Bale, Fellani or Baines why would we not go for these players? If they're good enough for Utd/City/Chelsea are they not good enough for us - or is it that we are conceding that there's no point to bid as they wouldn't be interested. Our board of directors have told us we have the money - obviously we're not convincing these players of our ambition or commitment.
    Even if it's a case that we can't attract the bigger names why have we missed out on Vertonghen (bad miss on Arsene's behalf) - David Villa - Reus - etc. Is it really a fact that our club is so bad at doing business that we are missing out on the type of player we used to be able to identify whilst others overlooked or didn't even spot their potential? It's not that long ago that I read that Denis Bergkamp had recommended Erikksen as an Arsenal aquisition. Likewise there have been players in France - Grenier. But we seem to have lost our clout or appeal to attract even promising players.

I apologise if this sounds all doom and gloom but I can assure you all I'm not a glory hunter. I don't want Arsenal to turn into a City/Chelsea/PSG/Monaco and try and buy a league. But I would like to see some ambition shown by our manager and board - or should I say proven by them. If we don't sign at least one significant name then I think we have as fans been slighted and insulted. Ivan should have kept his mouth shut. Like many of you guys here I travel over to see our team play every season - I support them through thick and thin and have done since 1968 when I was a kid. Am I asking too much now for a club who are in such a strong financial position to give us back what we have put in by investing in our club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Last night David Ornstein of the BBC said that we hadn't bid for Gustavo, but now Bild are apparently saying we have, but the bid was too low and was rejected. More here:

http://gossip.ladyarse.com/arsenal/2013/08/13/bild-report-arsenals-bid-for-gustavo-too-low-for-bayern/

I have no idea what's going on but I'm definetly happier if we have made at least one bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Last night David Ornstein of the BBC said that we hadn't bid for Gustavo, but now Bild are apparently saying we have, but the bid was too low and was rejected. More here:

http://gossip.ladyarse.com/arsenal/2013/08/13/bild-report-arsenals-bid-for-gustavo-too-low-for-bayern/

If and its a bit if its true, I give up.

I have no idea what's going on but I'm definetly happier if we have made at least one bid.

I believe GeoffArsenal and Dean over both of those both of whom haven't said its a done deal but Arsenal are working on it basically, David Ornstein only knows what the club want him to know basically they use him as an outlet to the media, as for Bild I'm not sure but have heard others say there not the most reliable source in Germany

f*cking hell Arsenal why can't we just close a deal!

bad2dabone wrote: »
    f*cking hell Arsenal why can't we just close a deal!

Because were tight basterds, who haggle over every little penny is my guess.

If Gustavo's press release doesn't go well on Thursday I can see a meltdown happening.

I just want it to be September 1st already so i can look forward to our inevitable failure having signed no one of note yet again.

Because were tight basterds, who haggle over every little penny is my guess.

If Gustavo's press release doesn't go well on Thursday I can see a meltdown happening.

If he goes to Napoli this place will explode.

Looking at Deans tweets there he has said in the last hour that he has heard our verbal offer was accepted its down to the player and personal terms.

• Advertisement

NAPOLI AGAIN!

angry-eyes.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'm going to hold on and see how this develops but if we loose another potential player due to being tight ****s I'm going to go bat**** crazy.

John Cross from Daily Mirror linking us with Michu and Dzeko as possible plan Bs if Suarez doesn't work out:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfers-arsenal-make-new-plans-2162885

I'd be happy with either although both clubs will drive a hard bargain if they sell at all.

I find it unusual that the player is making a statement on his future. I don't think that would happen if he was coming to us, considering how cloak and dagger we usually are about our rare dips into the transfer market.

If we are feeling this - what are our players feeling about it? Arteta,Jack,Theo,Giroud and Ramsey have all said they would welcome signings to strengthen our squad. I can honestly see us being raped on the last day of the transfer window - a few big bids for Santi, Kos, TV5 or Ramsey and I'm not so sure our board of directors won't take the money - if Atletico offered £25m for Santi does anyone on here think it wouldn't be considered? Maybe we should sign Scott Parker (sigh)

re Dzeko - i don't think that's a go-er it looks to me that Pellegrini rates him.
    As for Michu, well they'll look for top dollar - not that I care at this stage about value etc.
    Wenger is looking worse and worse for leaving things so late.
    As Ugsparky said the club should be giving back to the fans, is it wrong to suggest that after a few years of sh1te that we deserve an exciting signing to make us believe that we can compete?

As it stands with the squad so thin there's nobody who thinks we can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

ugsparky wrote: »
    If we are feeling this - what are our players feeling about it? Arteta,Jack,Theo,Giroud and Ramsey have all said they would welcome signings to strengthen our squad. I can honestly see us being raped on the last day of the transfer window - a few big bids for Santi, Kos, TV5 or Ramsey and I'm not so sure our board of directors won't take the money - if Atletico offered £25m for Santi does anyone on here think it wouldn't be considered? Maybe we should sign Scott Parker (sigh)

I know we're feeling down right now but what the hell is that bull****.

Just out of interest (and for quoting over the course of the season :pac: ) I wonder what everyone thinks of the following:
    1) How much will we spend before the transfer window closes?
    2) How many first 11 and back-up players will we sign before the transfer window closes?
    3) If we sign no-one then where do people expect us to land in the league let's say after 10 matches, at the end of the year and at the end of the season?

Just out of interest (and for quoting over the course of the season :pac: ) I wonder what everyone thinks of the following:
    2) How many first 11 and back-up players will we sign before the transfer window closes?
    3) If we sign no-one then where do people expect us to land in the league let's say after 10 matches, at the end of the year and at the end of the season?

1. As little as possible
    2. Two at the very most
    3. We'll flirt with top 3 but spend most of the season between 4th and 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

1. £74m
    2. 2 first 11 2 back up
    3. After 10 top 4 end of season top 6

FearDark wrote: »
    I know we're feeling down right now but what the hell is that bull****.

It's the bull**** that was spoken about us being a big club and not selling our best players - before we sold Cesc, Nasri, Van Persie, Clichy and Song ... you think this coudn't happen and that it's bull**** ... why's that my friend? Because we are a big club? Because Ivan and Arsene have said no one will be sold? ... the same board of directors and manager who told us we can compete in the transfer market as we are now more financially secure? ... All I'm certain about is that nothing is certain at Arsenal until the transfer window is closed :(

ok optimistically:
    1) 40m. - 15 on gustavo, 25 on a striker
    2) 2
    3) if we sign no one, we'll finish 5th or so. with spurs hopping us.
    Big Prediction: Wenger wont sign another contract.

edit: oh wait i forgot the squad is very short. **** knows where we'll finish. I'm almost in full on panic mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

These next twenty days could decide our clubs future for a long time in my opinion, and tonight things have never looked so glum. Big 3 weeks coming up.

Really starting to think Wenger isn't signing a new contract so is reluctant to spend the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Has Ivan conned us all again? Season tickets bought after promise of big signings and Arsene resigning. Whats the odds neither will happen?

• Advertisement

Really starting to think Wenger isn't signing a new contract so is reluctant to spend the money.

If that is true then its totally unfair on any potential new manager. Ferguson left Van Persie for Moyes at the very least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

85 million

2nd/1st decline to 5th

Wengers pig headed but he's not crazy. You simply can't expect such a small squad to go all year long. The above is way optimistic. My feeling is we'll get a few players but perhaps not the ones we want.

If that is true then its totally unfair on any potential new manager. Ferguson left Van Persie for Moyes at the very least

Ferguson bought him cause he wanted the league badly as it was his last season, and he surely didn't disappoint.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Has Ivan conned us all again? Season tickets bought after promise of big signings and Arsene resigning. Whats the odds neither will happen?

There's a theory I've seen a lot that Ivan's bullish statements back in May were seen as a last resort to get Wenger to spend.

1) £20m on two players one we've heard of and a utility player - the squad is strong enough and he believes in the quality of it
    2) Fringe players at best
    3) We'll stay in contention until injuries and suspensions take effect - lose confidence and falter and not have enough in reserve to recover. If we don't compete our best players will feel they have to move on - same as.

This is the worse case scenario - until the last day I do believe we have a plan - unfortunately I've thought this for the last number of years - hence my doubts - like Arseblog I think the clock is against us and we won't get the quality we need

• Advertisement

ok optimistically:
    1) 40m. - 15 on gustavo, 25 on a striker
    2) 2
    3) if we sign no one, we'll finish 5th or so. with spurs hopping us.
    Big Prediction: Wenger wont sign another contract.

edit: oh wait i forgot the squad is very short. **** knows where we'll finish. I'm almost in full on panic mode.
    Not necessarily aimed at you but it speaks volumes that a total of 3 signings in the entire transfer window is now optimistic.

I don't blame Gazidis, from his point of view he's done his bit, i.e gotten the deals in place to make the money. He's said the money is there to spend. The money IS there. why isn't it being spent?
    Gazidis laid it at arsene's door.
    And arsene has done f*ck all with it.

if he stays and signs a new contract we must install a director of football.

Not necessarily aimed at you but it speaks volumes that a total of 3 signings in the entire transfer window is now optimistic.

yep. I thought 4 at the start of the window, 4 of real quality.

now i think 3 is a long shot. its depressing

Sorry fellahs - I don't mean to be down and spread gloom - anyone that knows me knows I'm an optimist through and through and always believe we can beat anybody - but it doesn't add up and we all seem to be making excuses. If money wasn't a problem we should have a settled squad with players training together and ready for the new season - including our new players. I think when Arsene goes the truth will come out and I think the only reason players who have left have said nothing is down to the loyalty they have to Arsene - I don't believe it's his fault - I think our financial/transfer poliicy is down to our board of directors - same as any other company - they are the money men and he is their employee - if they wanted to spend money they would demand it of him and replace him if they thought he was not fulfilling his obligations and following the direction of the shareholders.

I don't blame Gazidis, from his point of view he's done his bit, i.e gotten the deals in place to make the money. He's said the money is there to spend. The money IS there. why isn't it being spent?
    Gazidis laid it at arsene's door.
    And arsene has done f*ck all with it.

if he stays and signs a new contract we must install a director of football.

How do you know this to be true? None of us have proof of this - it could be true - more likely to be conjecture fuelled by media speculation and made up journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Darren ‏@DarrenArsenal1 6m
    David Ornstein: "Arsenal have 3-4 options (other than Suarez), Rooney is one,but the club have accepted that they might not sign a star striker"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

TheBza wrote: »
    Darren ‏@DarrenArsenal1 6m
    David Ornstein: "Arsenal have 3-4 options (other than Suarez), Rooney is one,but the club have accepted that they might not sign a star striker"

Sounds like Gomis to me :rolleyes:

ugsparky wrote: »
    How do you know this to be true? None of us have proof of this - it could be true - more likely to be conjecture fuelled by media speculation and made up journalism

Gazidis said it clear and loud at the Q&A there was money there to spend and we had the money to sign and pay the wages of big players and he said it was up to Wenger who he spent it on.

It's not media speculation at all, if we fail this summer it falls firmly at Wenger's feet and no one else's. Every report also backs it up that Wenger decides a players value and how much to bid, he needs a David Dein there to push him and without that he won't. If this summer end in failure which I'm still hopeful it wont but if it does it will be Wenger's head that hits the chopping block and faces the brunt of the fans anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

1) 5/6
    2) Probably in excess of 50m
    3) After 10 matches (without looking at fixtures) 7W/2D/1L - maybe 2nd/3rd
    At end of year joint 3rd
    At end of season 3rd, close to second, but it depends more on others than it does on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Gazidis said it clear and loud at the Q&A there was money there to spend and we had the money to sign and pay the wages of big players and he said it was up to Wenger who he spent it on.

It's not media speculation at all, if we fail this summer it falls firmly at Wenger's feet and no one else's. Every report also backs it up that Wenger decides a players value and how much to bid, he needs a David Dein there to push him and without that he won't. If this summer end in failure which I'm still hopeful it wont but if it does it will be Wenger's head that hits the chopping block and faces the brunt of the fans anger.

yea he didnt just say it to sell season tickets like every season for the last 5 years:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement