Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ornstein: The market has not moved as expected for them #AFC

Ornstein: "Wenger, who is in control of all transfers at Arsenal, won't pay over his valuations of players." #AFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Roll on next year when we will have a manager who will spend some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Writing was on the wall when we walked away from higuan because of the price, and thought we would get Suarez.

The whole summer has been a mess, we are 2 injuries away from a carling cup team.

What happens if kos or mert get
    injured before Saturday? We throw sagna in the centre? Absolutely not good enough.

Or Giroud? We saw pold can't play the lone striker, so is it sanogo we play who is actually injured?

Just not good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Writing was on the wall when we walked away from higuan because of the price, and thought we would get Suarez.

The whole summer has been a mess, we are 2 injuries away from a carling cup team.

What happens if kos or mert get
    injured before Saturday? We throw sagna in the centre? Absolutely not good enough.

Or Giroud? We saw pold can't play the lone striker, so is it sanogo we play who is actually injured?

Just not good enough

there are still quiet alot of players available though. defenders such as Llori (sporting) Papa(shalke) and Toby(ajax) are 3 top class young defenders that would be great signings.

i dont think ye will sign nobody. butye do need a defender and a finisher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Off to the Mecca in a couple of days can't wait

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tick tock Wenger...

Off to the Mecca in a couple of days can't wait

Im going aswell. Im looking forward to the day on Saturday but the current atmosphere around the club at the minute has taken a shine off the trip for me

wawaman wrote: »
    Im going aswell. Im looking forward to the day on Saturday but the current atmosphere around the club at the minute has taken a shine off the trip for me

From expirence it will be a good atmosphere esp on opening day

Unless

Villa take the lead early or go in st half time in the lead, it will get rough then

Don't really mind the Suarez situation

But for the other players we need if they don't arrive ( I think they will)

Ivan, Dick and wenger

Have to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

It's confirmed. Suarez is a head case.
    Right now, due to all the affection people have
    shown, I will be staying.

Uruguayan newspaper El Observador is quoting Luis Suarez as saying the striker is now planning to stay at Liverpool. Suarez was reportedly talking in Tokyo, where Uruguay are due to play Japan in a friendly. (SSN)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm still retaining some hope on this one.

Obviously the summer could have been better, a lot better.

But there's a clear pattern over the last two years of us signing players after the CL qualifier when we're in one.

Giroud and Pod arrived early last year and Wenger's cited a couple of times about how much easier it is to sign players when CL is guaranteed.

Add to that the fact that the signings are clearly necessary - while it's fair to have a go at Wenger, it's deluded to think that he's so intransigent as to not sign anyone. Plus history would show that he doesn't care about waiting till deadline day.

Loads will disagree with me but this is just my recipe for 'glass is half full' thinking.

It does suggest we won't get anyone amazing from abroad, rather squad players and then maybe one or two from the PL like Arteta or Benny but to take the example of Suarez. Not that I'm saying we'd sign him but the worst thing imaginable for him would be to sign for Arsenal who then fail to qualify for the CL. Then Spurs keep Bale and finish 4th and he's in exactly the same sh1t situation, just 2 years older and at a different club.

I'll get lambasted for this, and obviously there's still much to complain about but patience people, patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

danlen wrote: »

Uruguayan newspaper El Observador is quoting Luis Suarez as saying the striker is now planning to stay at Liverpool. Suarez was reportedly talking in Tokyo, where Uruguay are due to play Japan in a friendly. (SSN)

If it's true, then hedging bets if anything.

If anyone meets Liverpool's valuation of him, he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

danlen wrote: »

You needed a media report to come to the conclusion? :pac:

Guy is absolute bonkers but if he cant enginner a move or hand in a transfer request then he'll be there until at least January sure if ye get UCL football and make it out of the group stages theres nothing wrong with going for him in Janaury when he'll be one of the best players money can buy thats not cup tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You needed a media report to come to the conclusion? :pac:

Guy is absolute bonkers but if he cant enginner a move or hand in a transfer request then he'll be there until at least January sure if ye get UCL football and make it out of the group stages theres nothing wrong with going for him in Janaury when he'll be one of the best players money can buy thats not cup tied.

They could try but there is probably about as much chance of it happening as there is now...I doubt the owners would backtrack on their word 3 months later. In January prices tend to be even more inflated and given that they have been unable to meet Liverpool's valuation coupled with them allegedly spending a large portion of their transfer funds on GustavoI can't see them reaching his price. I also doubt he ever truly intended going there and they were strung along in order to generate intetest from other clubs.

On the plus side if he signs a new contract as rumoured they will know how much he can be got for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm still retaining some hope on this one.

Obviously the summer could have been better, a lot better.

But there's a clear pattern over the last two years of us signing players after the CL qualifier when we're in one.

Giroud and Pod arrived early last year and Wenger's cited a couple of times about how much easier it is to sign players when CL is guaranteed.

Add to that the fact that the signings are clearly necessary - while it's fair to have a go at Wenger, it's deluded to think that he's so intransigent as to not sign anyone. Plus history would show that he doesn't care about waiting till deadline day.

Loads will disagree with me but this is just my recipe for 'glass is half full' thinking.

It does suggest we won't get anyone amazing from abroad, rather squad players and then maybe one or two from the PL like Arteta or Benny but to take the example of Suarez. Not that I'm saying we'd sign him but the worst thing imaginable for him would be to sign for Arsenal who then fail to qualify for the CL. Then Spurs keep Bale and finish 4th and he's in exactly the same sh1t situation, just 2 years older and at a different club.

I'll get lambasted for this, and obviously there's still much to complain about but patience people, patience.

This is the first time under Wenger Arsenal have spent no money before August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Roll on next year when we will have a manager who will spend some money.

Be very carefull what you wish for ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Whatever about Suarez coming to Arsenal, I just don't buy this sudden miraculous turnaround at all. It went from all talk of his future was not going to be discussed while on international duty and Rodgers demanding an apology which never came to all of a sudden I'm staying because of the fans (Yeh right) and I will be signing a new contract. As much as he is a nutjob thats even a bit far fetched for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lose badly in NLD and then panic buy last two days, i can see it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They could try but there is probably about as much chance of it happening as there is now...I doubt the owners would backtrack on their word 3 months later. In January prices tend to be even more inflated and given that they have been unable to meet Liverpool's valuation coupled with them allegedly spending a large portion of their transfer funds on GustavoI can't see them reaching his price. I also doubt he ever truly intended going there and they were strung along in order to generate intetest from other clubs.

On the plus side if he signs a new contract as rumoured they will know how much he can be got for next summer.

Forgive my ignorance, did Suarez not sign a new deal last summer?

• Advertisement

Whatever about Suarez coming to Arsenal, I just don't buy this sudden miraculous turnaround at all. It went from all talk of his future was not going to be discussed while on international duty and Rodgers demanding an apology which never came to all of a sudden I'm staying because of the fans (Yeh right) and I will be signing a new contract. As much as he is a nutjob thats even a bit far fetched for him.

Kinda easy to believe it though

He played us to draw out interest from abroad

That never came

He will stay at Liverpool with proper assurances he will leave next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I think my optimism is on its death bed.

I feel like the team is god enough but the squad is way too thin. Look at the injuries we have already without even kicking a ball in a competitive game

I think my optimism is on its death bed.

I feel like the team is god enough but the squad is way too thin. Look at the injuries we have already without even kicking a ball in a competitive game

Ya see I'm slightly worried but for a different reason

I see is filling the squad with good additions

But missing out on that world class quality that the team craves

We will be better than last year but not good enough to challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, did Suarez not sign a new deal last summer?

Yeah...if he signs another one it will be for no reason other than to clarify the release clause.

Ya see I'm slightly worried but for a different reason

I see is filling the squad with good additions

But missing out on that world class quality that the team craves

We will be better than last year but not good enough to challenge
    I agree we would need that to really compete for the league but if we dont get at least a few bodies in 4th will be a struggle.

Already monreal vermalean rosicky diaby and Sanogo have injuries. If kos and giroud for example get injured we are in a heap of trouble.

I think panic is just slightly starting to settle in but a few signing could rectify that .

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Arsenal have released players this transfer window who had 96 appearances in all competitions last season. 54 appearances in the league, 27 starting.

And have signed 1 player on a free. The youth / reserves team must have some gems!

Arsene better sign some players before the close of the window as if he doesn't he can't complain about injuries hitting his team.

Maybe he will pull a rabbit out of the hat, however, is it not much preferable to have new players bedded in early in a transfer window. It can't be that he is waiting for champions league qualification, can it?

• Advertisement

Genuinely with the lack of top talent out there, i would take 5 or 6 squad fillers like Arteta signings then the hope of one or two big ones.

Pudders wrote: »
    The youth / reserves team must have some gems!

The youth/reserves seem to be in a worse state than the 1st Team, if possible. They had already lost 7-0 to Luton, drawn 4-4 with Leyton Orient and lost 5-1 last night to Colchester

The youth/reserves seem to be in a worse state than the 1st Team, if possible. They had already lost 7-0 to Luton, drawn 4-4 with Leyton Orient and lost 5-1 last night to Colchester

Our third choice GK went off too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Whatever happens for the rest of this window the damage is already done. Any player that might be brought in, (aside from Gustavo if that even happens) won't improve the team. They will be stop gap, panic buys 50% of whom will be the deadwood we will be moaning about in 2 years time. Frankly I cant see us bringing more than a right back in to be honest.

Those stating that its the board that are holding the purse strings tight really don't know that and until we are told categorically otherwise then the buck stops with the manager. That's football. He has to be held to account for this mess.

Bild say Gustavo has offers from Arsenal, Napoli, Inter and Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Raf32 wrote: »

Sigh, Barca then?

I thought he's looking for guaranteed playing time?

Maybe Inter? playing time and Brazilians over there.

Hit me up with the fantasy football code

And I give ye amateurs a lesson

Nightmare scenario - Sagna gets sent off then kos or per pick up an injury. What then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Inter are shocking, much worse position than us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Maybe they'll play him centre-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

If it means that much to him I'm sure he could get a brazilian in London :o

Inter are shocking, much worse position than us now.

True but they are still a "name", how attractive are we realistically to experienced european players these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

That what he was reported as saying if it's true it would put Barca out of contention really, Busquets the golden boy will always be first choice.

• Advertisement

Freind just asked me a question - IF Arteta were still at everton and you could pick him or fellaini for the same price who would you pick.

For me Arteta to which he call BS. What do you guys think

Freind just asked me a question - IF Arteta were still at everton and you could pick him or fellaini for the same price who would you pick.

Arteta every day of the week.

Would you be buying the attcking Arteta that was at Everton or the more defensive one we have now!?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're also supposedly saying we're about 3m short of their evaluation and unwilling to increase our offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Fellaini for me

Italian journalist Paolo Bandini "My understanding Gustavo is still very much inclined towards Arsenal, the EPL but Arsenal in particular,"

Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If arteta had never played for us we wouldn't rate him as highly and he wouldn't have played in the position he does now for us. I'd pick Fellaini and I'm pretty sure you would too if you really think about it.

Always rated Arteta to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Nightmare scenario - Sagna gets sent off then kos or per pick up an injury. What then?

arteta plays as a cb

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If arteta had never played for us we wouldn't rate him as highly and he wouldn't have played in the position he does now for us. I'd pick Fellaini and I'm pretty sure you would too if you really think about it.
    For me I always liked arteta. Was a mainstay in my fantasy team for years at everton!

Also for the way we play I think he is a better fit than fellaini.

That said id still take fellaini to go with him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement