Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Fellaini's just going to end up at United though, let's be honest. I genuinely have no idea who we're going to buy in the next few weeks but it seems like we'll be largely starting from scratch. Clubs will absolutely rinse us on transfer fees at this point but hopefully we can get things done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Back to the bad news
    Gustavo's agent, Giacomo Petralito: "Napoli is a club you can't refuse, even if it means reducing salary by 10%, Napoli is very important".
    Unconfirmed quote however.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Back to the bad news
    Gustavo's agent, Giacomo Petralito: "Napoli is a club you can't refuse, even if it means reducing salary by 10%, Napoli is very important".
    Unconfirmed quote however.

Roger Wittmann is Gustavo's agent. That guy you mention is just some FIFA agent rent-a-quote.

Roger Wittmann is Gustavo's agent. That guy you mention is just some FIFA agent rent-a-quote.

Thanks a million for that, might stay off the twiiter, full of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm throwing it out there even IF we sign no one we finish ahead of spurs and Liverpool

Confident I no

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for that, might stay off the twiiter, full of BS.

Also, Guardian journalist Paolo Bandini believes Gustavo would be much more likely to join us: http://talksport.com/football/bandini-gustavo-favours-arsenal-over-napoli-13081455518

The Barca interest is worrying though.

Seen as I won't be in this threa Saturday I'm gonna predict how the thread will go

We hammer villa

" Jesus now he def won't sign anyone"

We struggle or loose too villa

" he should have strengthend the team wenger out "

I love ye guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BRnUCc3CYAEPv2f.jpg

Transfer window's been a disaster. I don't buy the CL qualifier reason at all either, Spurs and others have signed players of more than acceptable quality, never mind the fact that its highly unlikely we'd even lose the play off. I actually quite like our first 11, but beyond that it gets pretty rough, pretty quickly. Good luck ending the trophy drought when we don't have a big enough squad to rotate around 4 tournaments.

AdamD wrote: »
    BRnUCc3CYAEPv2f.jpg

Transfer window's been a disaster. I don't buy the CL qualifier reason at all either, Spurs and others have signed players of more than acceptable quality, never mind the fact that its highly unlikely we'd even lose the play off. I actually quite like our first 11, but beyond that it gets pretty rough, pretty quickly. Good luck ending the trophy drought when we don't have a big enough squad to rotate around 4 tournaments.

Even IF we don't strengthen we're finishing ahead of spurs and Liverpool

Confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whatever happens from now to Sept 1st we have fcuked up the whole summer.
    I don't really care whose fault it is but it is pure neglect of a great club.

We should have had our business done very early especially when our directors were crowing about us having loads to spend.

Looks like it will be a trolley dash if they decide to spend at all now.
    I am still of the belief that we were scammed.

• Advertisement

Confident

Liverpool yes, Spurs, 50/50. Says a **** tonne about our transfer window that you're even posting that though, another season battling for top 4, despite all of the promises of more.

Confident

Bales stays and I strongly disagree this time.

Bales stays and I strongly disagree this time.

With or without bale

I'm taking that bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I dont think wenger will extend his contract either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Confident

This summer was meant to be about catching the teams ahead of us which we have no hope of doing without signing quality player. Yes, were still better than pool bit that really isn't saying much. Spurs is questionable imo.

We had success before he came and we will have it again after he leaves.
    He is a great manager but everyone's time comes to an end eventually.
    We don't know what lies ahead but i'm sure there are plenty of other good managers out there. Nobody is bigger than the club.

With or without bale

I'm taking that bet

Of course id never bet against the Arsenal, just looks bleak at the moment.

shano_88 wrote: »
    This summer was meant to be about catching the teams ahead of us which we have no hope of doing without signing quality player. Yes, were still better than pool bit that really isn't saying much. Spurs is questionable imo.

I think we will make the additions to close the gap

But looks like not the quality to challenge

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hit me up with the fantasy football code

And I give ye amateurs a lesson

Think your comment got lost in the noise there, code is 371924-96395.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'm hopeful but not optimistic. Either way I really though this summer was an opportunity to push onto where the club should be but that's not going to happen now. Scraping for 4th isn't gonna cut it this season.

• Advertisement

shano_88 wrote: »
    I'm hopeful but not optimistic. Either way I really though this summer was an opportunity to push onto where the club should be but that's not going to happen now. Scraping for 4th isn't gonna cut it this season.

I think we will be in and around 3rf maybe 2nd but workout challenging of u no what I mean

Where as of we for them 2 WC players I would have thought right lets have a proper challenge

Disappointing yes

Cushiest job in football. He'll renew if offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

BRnUCc3CYAEPv2f.jpg

Will we be sitting on the edge of our seats for every match now, just like we were for the latter half of the season, to make fourth spot. Perhaps Mr. Wenger should just go for some solid unknown players, to at least have a complete squad.... he can even close his eyes, lol. The current squad IMO is good but not good enough to win the PL, or consistently win matches. A few injuries and we are in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

That guardian comparision from a few years back of wenger walking around the supermarket just before closing waiting for the price of milk and eggs to drop keeps getting more and more appropriate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is Ryo really "dead to us"? Got the impression Wenger intends to try ease him into the first team this year since he's not going on loan again and also got game time in the friendlies.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Will we be sitting on the edge of our seats for every match now, just like we were for the latter half of the season, to make fourth spot. Perhaps Mr. Wenger should just go for some solid unknown players, to at least have a complete squad.... he can even close his eyes, lol. The current squad IMO is good but not good enough to win the PL, or consistently win matches. A few injuries and we are in trouble.

Be sitting on the Edge of our seats tonight

Hope no one breaks on international duty

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is Ryo really "dead to us"? Got the impression Wenger intends to try ease him into the first team this year since he's not going on loan again and also got game time in the friendlies.

I didn't make the list but I can see why hes there. Him and Frimpong are both heavily injury prone and looking evermore doubtful to make it at this level. With Frimpong in particular it seems a bit sad, every interview I've seen with Wilshere he seems to mention how Frimpong was always the best player he played with at youth level but has been ruined by injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Cushiest job in football. He'll renew if offered.

Amazing that some people have so little respect left for the man at this stage.

I didn't make the list but I can see why hes there. Him and Frimpong are both heavily injury prone and looking evermore doubtful to make it at this level. With Frimpong in particular it seems a bit sad, every interview I've seen with Wilshere he seems to mention how Frimpong was always the best player he played with at youth level but has been ruined by injury.

Real shame about Frimpong yeah, could have been a decent squad player at least and really seems to genuinely love the club too.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

I fully agree here

MAYBE he is slipping and I have no problem with fans wanting him out

But mother of god show the man respect he is the greatest arsenal manager in our era maybe of all time

Sad to see fans turn on him and forget everything he brought to this club

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

He deserves respect but also ire, he has been consistent in his parsimony when it comes to spending and we get beaten to the deal by other clubs. He can be so frustrating in his stubbornness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    .. it's pretty much always Wenger. One day, I'll be able to tell you a really interesting story about Arsène and a failed transfer.

DC ‏@DLDN22
    All I will say is the reason for the delay for the transfers so far is Wenger. Not Gazidis or **** Law on this occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not good enough imo this was a summer full of promise if we just sign players to fill the gaps we have left in our own squad instead of improving I will not be one bit happy or see that as satisfactory.

I'm still hoping we can pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove
    .. it's pretty much always Wenger. One day, I'll be able to tell you a really interesting story about Arsène and a failed transfer.
    2 words come to mind. The second one is off

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove

Le Grove is a clown to be fair.

• Advertisement

Le Grove is a clown to be fair.

That he is but Dean is seconding that right now saying delays in Suarez bids and Gustavo transfer all down to Wenger, Dick Law and Gazidis not to blame.

Bit of a joke really we need a David Dein type back who takes these matter out of a penny pinching hesitatant Wengers hands and just make him focus on managing nothing else.

Does he respect the fans or their wishes in any way these days? I worshipped the man for years but now I'm just baffled by his penny-pinching and lack of planning . And £7.5m a year for a manager that has spent the summer offloading his useless bargain buys, while not spending a penny from a £100m budget, is not value for money. It's a very cushy number for Wenger - any other top club would have let him go years ago. This is Arsenal Football Club, not the cult of Arsene Wenger.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bit of a joke really we need a David Dein type back who takes these matter out of a penny pinching hesitatant Wengers hands and just make him focus on managing nothing else.
    Sadly I think we need a manager capable of managing a superclub because it looks to be too big a job for Wenger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'll always have respect and be grateful to Arsene Wenger but at the same time, right now, i don't know what he's playing at.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'll always have respect and be grateful to Arsene Wenger but at the same time, right now, i don't know what he's playing at.

I can handle that, you can question him or even want him gone
    But he should be respected without question

• Advertisement

I wonder how many titles we would have won if there wasn't such penny-pinching though. We were close many times but for the lack of depth.

I really couldn't give a damn who manages the club if they do their best to ensure we have a great and competitive squad but we always seem to be that few players short.
    We could have rectified that this season as we have the money but it's unlikely to happen now. Should have been done weeks ago imo.

hey when he leaves i'll be devastated, day of mourning all that malarkey.
    And I won't call for him to be sacked. I want him to sign the players, and I want him to come out again as a success.
    But perhaps he's too stubborn. I don't know.

Back to Gustavo, it's almost painful.
    taken from a post on Arsenal Mania:
    He wants to leave.
    Bayern are open to him leaving.
    We need a DM/someone to rotate with Arteta
    He has been quoted as admiring our club and Wenger
    He will get plenty of playing time at a top club in a top league in a world cup year

Seriously how hard can it be to tie up a deal? You can kind of understand the lengthy back and forth with Suarez (if thats true) but this really couldn't be more straight forward could it?

I know, Patience etc, but 3 days to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Respected without question for what he has achieved yes. But lets not forget we have to move forward too

I respect his achievements in the past and how he's kept the club stable, but I don't see why anyone should respect him without question in the present. He's not infallible and if we get to the 2nd of September without any decent signings he deserves no respect from anyone imo.

It's already too late I think with our first game in 3 days but I still hope he can pull something out of the hat yet.

I wonder how many titles we would have won if there wasn't such penny-pinching though. We were close many times but for the lack of depth.

I really couldn't give a damn who manages the club if they do their best to ensure we have a great and competitive squad but we always seem to be that few players short.
    We could have rectified that this season as we have the money but it's unlikely to happen now. Should have been done weeks ago imo.

I'm not blaming him for what went on before we don't no what money was available to him

From this summer blame is squarely at his feet

If he can't change like the game has we need to say out goodbyes and move on

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I still hope he can pull something out of the hat yet.

so do i.

so, whats the verdict on Michu?

to be honest i'd rather Benteke :D and i said he was a risk earlier on in the window, seeing this:
    http://balls.ie/football/gif-more-proof-that-christian-benteke-is-a-beast/

made me jealous.

I also think we're gonna look back over this week and wonder why we ever questioned wenger

I fully believe he is gonna pull this off

According to Twitter Luis Suarez said after the Uruguay match that he hasn't said he wants to stay at Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I respect Wenger completely for what he has done at the club. He has revolutionised it from top to bottom. But he does not get a free pass from warranted criticism. He has major flaws, his policy on transfers is well documented and he is also an incredibly stubborn man. He has too much power at the club in my opinion and it is having a detrimental effect on the club.

I also think we're gonna look back over this week and wonder why we ever questioned wenger

I fully believe he is gonna pull this off

I really hope you're right I've been positive all summer, but the last day or two frustrations are kicking in.

Still clinging onto hope we will do the business.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement