Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I don't see Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spuds or any other "top team" considering Michu. We are bargain basement shopping again and I'm absolutely ****ing sick of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Raf32 wrote: »
    According to Twitter Luis Suarez said after the Uruguay match that he hasn't said he wants to stay at Liverpool.

link??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

except i don't think Michu will be a bargain basement price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Paulegend wrote: »
    link??

Sky Sports News reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Yes

We're gonna get Suarez

:):):)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    According to Twitter Luis Suarez said after the Uruguay match that he hasn't said he wants to stay at Liverpool.

Did anyone really buy it in the first place?

greendom wrote: »
    Sky Sports News reporting

oh so we are in the business of lying are we?? just watched ssn there and they mentioned that we wants to stay and he scored for uruaguay but nothing about denying he wants to stay

oh so we are in the business of lying are we?? just watched ssn there and they mentioned that we wants to stay and he scored for uruaguay but nothing about denying he wants to stay

must be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

So we are stil gonna sign Suarez and Gustavo and win the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

So we are stil gonna sign Suarez and Gustavo and win the league?

the dream is back on :pac:

just go watch ssn right this second and there is nothing about suarez saying he still wants to leave. check the website and there is nothing bar him hinting he wants to stay. do you or anyone have a link to the twitter rumour?? or is it just a lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

It's all over twitter; ) knew that whole story last night was BS. None of it made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seventeen years ago today, Patrick Vieira signed for Arsenal from AC Milan

One more like him would be nice :)

lol guess there goes that dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'm throwing it out there even IF we sign no one we finish ahead of spurs and Liverpool

Confident I no

There's confidence and then there's naivety and I think you fall into the latter :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We had success before he came and we will have it again after he leaves.
    He is a great manager but everyone's time comes to an end eventually.
    We don't know what lies ahead but i'm sure there are plenty of other good managers out there. Nobody is bigger than the club.

To be fair i wasnt asking what life will be like without wenger as i know we have had success without him.

i am one of those who wanted wenger out long ago as i know we can have success without him but many here do not think the same.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

goal.com saying we're re-opening contract talks with Sagna and moving for Atsuto Uchida from Shalke. They probably just pulled it out of thin air of course.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    goal.com saying we're re-opening contract talks with Sagna and moving for Atsuto Uchida from Shalke. They probably just pulled it out of thin air of course.

I'm thinking they pulled it from a slightly darker place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

There is no way on earth that we will be left empty handed in this window, that squad is way way too light Wenger couldn't be that stupid. I reckon 5 players to come in including a goalkeeper. Its just a disgrace that it has been left so long and if it is true that we won't pay the extra few million for Gustavo like we did with Higuain and only bring 1 or 2 players the club deserves everything they get and that will be a 5th place finish at best. Its just a disgrace that us the fans have to suffer for the neglect and ineptness of the team, board and manager over the last few years.

We are becoming a laughing stock!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Sadly I think we need a manager capable of managing a superclub because it looks to be too big a job for Wenger now.

Sorry fellahs but no matter how much you may love our club and feel a strong sense of loyalty and belonging we are no longer a "superclub". A club with great traditions and history - yes. A club with great ethos that is recognised and respected in the world of football - yes. A "superclub" - no longer.

I know I ranted a bit last night but it's obvious that people are starting to expect second best - and clutching at straws - some of the players being mentioned here as "brilliant signings are nothing of the sort. Dzecko? - how will he fit any differently than Giroud? Gustavo? - he if he was such a brilliant player why are Bayern not interested in keeping him.

Where is the ambition that saw us sign Bergkamp? Where is the imagination that saw us sign Pires and Overmars?

I'll be glad if Suarez doesn't join to be honest - I think he's a trouble maker and I think he'll cost Rodgers his job (no harm in that - Rodgers = Mark Hughes = arrogant tw*t).

In truth I'd love to see us make a push for Rooney with the pitch that for the player it will benefit him as a play maker for the rest of our young English players and thus will help the English team (don't really care if it does or not). It would also satisfy his ego to think he is the "Bergkamp" type player we need to link midfield to attack. In truth even though I hate to admit it, he is a proven match winner. A Rooney in top form with Ox, Theo, Jack, Santi and Ramsey around him - with a focal point of Giroud would be a pretty awesome prospect. This is where I would blow a wad of cash - not on Suarez. Add a few players around this signing - one of the young German guys and maybe a centre half and things wouldn't look too bad.

Just in passing - a few years ago I did a small exercise, looking at the league tables in Europe - France, Spain, Germany, Holland and Italy. I looked at the teams that had conceded the least goals as I thought their defensive players must be good and at the goals scored as I reckoned that would highlight goal scorers and poachers. Not all the teams were league winners. The names that came up ...

Hummels and Subotic (with Dortmund and about 4th in the Bundesliga before we played them in the Champions league and before they progressed to where they are now)

Vertonghen (with Ajax)

Di Natale, stood out in Italy - Reus and Schurrle in Germany scoring goals from midfield - Spain the usual suspects including Higuan (27 goals in a season for Madrid !!!) ... I posted it on Garythegooner but of course most of them wanted Gary Cahill because he was English etc ...

My point is that there are players out there - Ginter, Grenier, Bender etc. We never have signed massive stars in the past (Bergkamp & Henry were players struggling with form) ... but there are a few worthwhile players to look at. I know it's far fetched but I'm genuinely hoping that Arsene is keeping his cards close to his chest until deadline day to avoid being gazumped by City/Chelsea/Utd ... Napoli ? !!! But Rooney would be a stunning signing ... but I can't see me singing ROONEH - ROONEH - ROONEH even if we did get him !!!

• Advertisement

I just read on Twitter that Suarez said that he didnt say that he didnt say that he wants to stay at liverpool [sky sports news].

Hope that clears it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I just read on Twitter that Suarez said that he didnt say that he didnt say that he wants to stay at liverpool [sky sports news].

Hope that clears it up

You have me all kinds of confused :p

Maybe people will stop freaking out for awhile :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It's actually funny how one tweet one way or the other changes the mood of this thread

We need to chill

Or if your having a crap day in real life feel free to come in here and vent

That's cool too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hope that clears it up

There's no source for this whatsoever. People are just making up what they want to be true.

TheGunns wrote: »
    You have me all kinds of confused :p

Maybe people will stop freaking out for awhile :pac:
    Yeah it was a jest. So many people add SSN to the end of a tweet and people take it as gospel.

I feel the only rest we will get from all this intil the window closes is each 90 minutes the team are on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ugsparky wrote: »

I'll be glad if Suarez doesn't join to be honest - I think he's a trouble maker and I think he'll cost Rodgers his job (no harm in that - Rodgers = Mark Hughes = arrogant tw*t).

In truth I'd love to see us make a push for Rooney with the pitch that for the player it will benefit him as a play maker for the rest of our young English players and thus will help the English team (don't really care if it does or not).

Suarez is a troublemaker and Rooney isn't? :confused:

SUAREZ HAS SAID THAT HE DIDNT SAY WHAT YOU SAID HE SAID BUT HE THINKS HE SAID WHAT HE'S SAYING WAS SAID ABOUT WHAT RODGERS SAID.
    SOURCES HAVE SAID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I just read on Twitter that Suarez is actually a Thai ladyboy that needs to eat flesh to ward off the effects of ageing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

bad2dabone wrote: »
    SUAREZ HAS SAID THAT HE DIDNT SAY WHAT YOU SAID HE SAID BUT HE THINKS HE SAID WHAT HE'S SAYING WAS SAID ABOUT WHAT RODGERS SAID.
    SOURCES HAVE SAID.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sorry fellahs but no matter how much you may love our club and feel a strong sense of loyalty and belonging we are no longer a "superclub". A club with great traditions and history - yes. A club with great ethos that is recognised and respected in the world of football - yes. A "superclub" - no longer.
    We're about to pass £300m a year in revenue. We're a superclub.

• Advertisement

Suarez is a troublemaker and Rooney isn't? :confused:

Didn't say that ... I outlined my reason for trying to sign Rooney. Rooney is a hothead for sure ... but not as flaky as Suarez. If Rooney regains form and links with our English players he'll feel the love and respect that he's not getting at Utd. As far as I know Rooney has never been accused of racism or taken a bite out of anyone. And wrongly or rightly he seems to get the benefit of the doubt from English referees - far moreso than Suarez does or ever will after his latest incident.

I'm terribly confused :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

wonga77 wrote: »
    Seventeen years ago today, Patrick Vieira signed for Arsenal from AC Milan

One more like him would be nice :)

A 20 year old French midfielder from the Milan reserves for £3m?

I think this thread and Twitter would implode if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn't say that ... I outlined my reason for trying to sign Rooney. Rooney is a hothead for sure ... but not as flaky as Suarez. If Rooney regains form and links with our English players he'll feel the love and respect that he's not getting at Utd. As far as I know Rooney has never been accused of racism or taken a bite out of anyone. And wrongly or rightly he seems to get the benefit of the doubt from English referees - far moreso than Suarez does or ever will after his latest incident.

I think that says more about the referees and how much they are prepared to put up with unfortunately.

Weekly we see him swearing at referees. I for one do not like that as it shows petulance and poor manners. Not someone to have around young players at all.

He would cause trouble in the dressingroom in my opinion.

there are only 4 superclubs no?

Real, Barca, Bayern and ....(swallows bile)....Utd.

Ahhh - you mean financially were a super club. I thought you meant we're a super club that given half a chance some of the world's top players or aspiring top players would jump at the chance to sign for.

You know ... like when a player says "it's my dream to play for Real Madrid/Barcelona/Manchester United/Bayern Munchen/AC Milan ..."

I misunderstood - apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

2ndcoming wrote: »
    A 20 year old French midfielder from the Milan reserves for £3m?

I think this thread and Twitter would implode if that happened.

Not really we signed Sanogo thread didn't implode. No one has a problem with unproven young players as long as we sign established players aswell.

I think Arsene should ring Alex up and say Alex, return the favor.

Rooney.

25m.

do it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ahhh - you mean financially were a super club.
    Only thing that's really relevant.
    there are only 4 superclubs no?

Real, Barca, Bayern and ....(swallows bile)....Utd.
    Our financial results will be at Bayern's level in a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

17 years ago today?
    Fack i feel old....

What would the thinking be on Wenger if we fail to make proper additions to the squad?

If the vast majority of fans can see that we're light on numbers then why can't Wenger?

I think we will see signings and feel that there has to be business being done in the background.

Anything less would be suicide for Wenger. Fans would start venting at games at the first sight of failure and momentum would grow.
    Wenger has everything to lose and nothing to gain by not signing players.

I think that says more about the referees and how much they are prepared to put up with unfortunately.

Weekly we see him swearing at referees. I for one do not like that as it shows petulance and poor manners. Not someone to have around young players at all.

He would cause trouble in the dressingroom in my opinion.

I didn't say I was his biggest fan and like yourself I think his attitude stinks - but unfortunately the days of gentlemanly conduct in Premiership football are long gone - Keane, Scholes, Terry, Lampard ... all mouthy ... even our own Jack can be a bit too lippy. I do think that if rooney was given a purpose and believed he was playing to bring glory to Arsenal and England then Arsene could control him. Keep the aggression but channel it - many players have said they see Wenger as a Father type figure who have helped an encouraged them ... we've had a few players who were not purer than white ...

gosplan wrote: »
    But there's a clear pattern over the last two years of us signing players after the CL qualifier when we're in one.
    According to Wikipedia the only player signed last season after qualifying was a Macedonian lad for the academy. 2 years ago it was 1 point from 9 and getting embarrassed that got things moving.

I didn't say I was his biggest fan and like yourself I think his attitude stinks - but unfortunately the days of gentlemanly conduct in Premiership football are long gone - Keane, Scholes, Terry, Lampard ... all mouthy ... even our own Jack can be a bit too lippy. I do think that if rooney was given a purpose and believed he was playing to bring glory to Arsenal and England then Arsene could control him. Keep the aggression but channel it - many players have said they see Wenger as a Father type figure who have helped an encouraged them ... we've had a few players who were not purer than white ...

I agree you need a certain amount of aggression on the field and have said that it's something we are lacking. Keown, Adams. Bould, Winterbourne, Dixon, Bergkamp and many others would go through you for a short-cut BUT just bad manners and abuse of referees a la Rooney is not acceptable.

yea viera was well able to control it

• Advertisement

I think Arsene should ring Alex up and say Alex, return the favor.

Rooney.

25m.

do it.

... That would be Alex Moyes :p ...

I was trying to figure why Moyes has done nothing yet ... I think he went after Cesc to replace Scholes/Giggs - no real threat to Rooney

Why no one else? No Fellani - no attacking player/midfielder as this would threaten his place further ... could it be that he's trying to keep Rooney but Rooney wants to go? The fans have certainly turned on him ... I think Arsene is still interested ...

i suspect fergie encouraged the intimidation of refs by players.

... That would be Alex Moyes :p ...

ah fergie's still involved there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yea viera was well able to control it

Never affected his play. Much rather another Vieira than a Suarez, but seeing as we're stuck I'd bite yer hands off...

...was that terribly bad or terrible good? I dunno :p

L'prof wrote: »
    Never affected his play. Much rather another Vieira than a Suarez, but seeing as we're stuck I'd bite yer hands off...

...was that terribly bad or terrible good? I dunno :p

lol

i dont think rooneys temper affects his play either to be fair. only thing that kills suarez rooney and even viera was their ability to get sent off. that been said it doesnt happen to suarez as much as the other two

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement