Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That Henry tweet is funny but he's either posturing or else Suarez really isn't for sale for less than £50m+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

John W. Henry ‏@John_W_Henry

What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?

Yikes. Sounds like we'll need an extra £10m over so for Suarez if that's what Liverpool's owner thinks of the £40m bid.

I wouldn't pay much attention to him, remember this is the club that valued Andy Carroll at 35 million. They don't get the concept of what things are worth over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

There's no going back now really, bid is as good as confirmed. Will be a massive backlash if they don't sign someone big (not that there wouldn't have been one anyways)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Never gonna get him just get hig

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kess73 wrote: »
    How exactly?

Suarez has proven his footballing ability in two European leagues, has a better goals and assists per game ratio over his career to date than Cavani has at club level, and has a far superior goals/assists per game ratio at International level.

If you break it down into bulk figures for career goals, career games, and career assists, then Suarez beats Cavani on all three again.

So would love to know what makes Cavani the far more proven player.
    His record in the Eredivisie and for the national team doesn't bear that much relevance really.

What carries by far the most importance is that Cavani has 3 prolific seasons in a top league, Suarez 1. Cavani has been highly coveted for three seasons, while it's only this season that Suarez has moved into that elite group of players that might command mega money transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

That ship has sailed by the looks of things. Marca have put "farewell to Higuain" on todays front page. Due to be official in the next few hours. Just one bitey cannabilistic egg left in our basket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Positives:

Being encouraged by Suarez agent

Not that far off Liverpool's valuation

Liverpool have to sell him

Liverpool will probably have to reinvest the cash so might need to get it wrapped up in next fortnight or so

No other clubs in so far

Negatives:
    Real might be interested

Once Madrid come in we have no chance, and they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hopefully Suarez pushes this through

Strike or whatever who cares, he's the type of player to push the club on and if he goes to Madrid after 2/3 seasons arsenal should be in a better position and he can be replaced

A positive of his price is we could sell him for more or a similar price to Madrid if he had a good season :pac:

• Advertisement

To be honest at this stage I'd probably rather we just went for a prospect to compete with Giroud like Lamela, Damiao or El Shaarawy and spent money on other areas of the team (while CF is the most pressing area, we do need to improve elsewhere too) and kept our powder somewhat dry to use a Gazidis-ism.

Can't believe I just wrote that, but I don't want the club to spend a way over the top fee out of desperation. Leave Liverpool to Suarez; in the long run it may be better to keep the money out of their hands as I don't think they'll get 4th place with him and his value is unlikely to get any higher.

People were saying Madrid were ***** for upping the price, but if hig goes to napoli for the price rumoured, I think its brilliant by Madrid, they played their cards well and got extra for him, and enough to buy Suarez.

That's how you do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

This bid has given me a bit of fate again that:

- We ACTUALLY have money to spend unlike the stories from previous years
    - There may be a chance of competing in the next 1/2 years
    - Arsenal can bully financially for a change
    - Liverpool fans are deluded!!
    - Liverpool hung up on Carroll (very poor decision) and Torres (great business) transfers
    - Wenger and Gazidis have a sense of humour £40m+1

Had to stop reading the article on BBC as L'pool fans were saying that its a sideways move, L'pool are a bigger club and that we are their top 4 rivals! When was the last time L'pool finished in top 4, 10 years??. Their fan base is growing slower than Arsenals. Their main rival is Everton and are not even top 4 contenders - Living in the past.

/rant :D

People were saying Madrid were ***** for upping the price, but if hig goes to napoli for the price rumoured, I think its brilliant by Madrid, they played their cards well and got extra for him, and enough to buy Suarez.

That's how you do business.

Who's to say that arsenal never actually bid for higuain after they found out saurez could be possibly signed and make a serious attempt for him

Then in return real up the price on higuain as they think saurez will wait for them

But they're not bidding, will he wait for them? In a way it could backfire on them

What if it's actually arsenal with the balls in all of this

Possible? :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Who's to say that arsenal never actually bid for higuain after they found out saurez could be possibly signed and make a serious attempt for him

Then in return real up the price on higuain as they think saurez will wait for them

But they're not bidding, will he wait for them? In a way it could backfire on them

What if it's actually arsenal with the balls in all of this

Possible? :pac:

He has very little reason not to wait since he's banned for the first 6 games, I think it could drag to the end of the window.

Best case would be Madrid buying Bale and then Suarez is left with one option

TheGunns wrote: »
    He has very little reason not to wait since he's banned for the first 6 games, I think it could drag to the end of the window.

Though has it not been said he definitely wants to be at a CL club next season

& there was a story of real only valuing him at 25mil and the fact that with these arsenal bids they haven't had one in for him, they don't need the higuain sale to bid for him & their bidding on a PL player seems to be bale not him

I would think that Madrid would have said something by now, like when Zidsne started banging on about Bale some time ago.

Also Madrid are not short on cash. They happily spent 70 or 80 million on their targets so far this year and don't need to sell to buy.

There's a couple of things I'm not sure about though.

Obv the bitey racist would add to any team but what system does ancellotti play? Would they spend 40-50 million on a backup striker? Would signing Bale force a 4-3-3 with Benzema up top?

I dunno, I guess I'm looking for reasons to be hopeful shout this. From experience Madrid don't do a whole lot discreetly so I'm surprised that we haven't heard more about Suarez from them if they're planning a bid as soon as Higuain gets sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

ulinbac wrote: »
    This bid has given me a bit of fate again that:

- We ACTUALLY have money to spend unlike the stories from previous years
    - There may be a chance of competing in the next 1/2 years
    - Arsenal can bully financially for a change
    - Liverpool fans are deluded!!
    - Liverpool hung up on Carroll (very poor decision) and Torres (great business) transfers
    - Wenger and Gazidis have a sense of humour £40m+1

Had to stop reading the article on BBC as L'pool fans were saying that its a sideways move, L'pool are a bigger club and that we are their top 4 rivals! When was the last time L'pool finished in top 4, 10 years??. Their fan base is growing slower than Arsenals. Their main rival is Everton and are not even top 4 contenders - Living in the past.

/rant :D

What you smokin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently SSN has said that Suarez wants to play Champions League but won't push a move through. Without a transfer request I don't think anything will happen. If he's not prepared to change his stance we should drop our interest and look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently SSN has said that Suarez wants to play Champions League but won't push a move through. Without a transfer request I don't think anything will happen. If he's not prepared to change his stance we should drop our interest and look elsewhere.

Give RM 40m for Higuin instead

Give RM 40m for Higuin instead

Been saying that for weeks now just pay it up and sign him.

Been saying that for weeks now just pay it up and sign him.

That ship has sailed and I'm pleased we dropped interest when Madrid started playing silly buggers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

That ship has sailed and I'm pleased we dropped interest when Madrid started playing silly buggers

It was a dick move but masterful from Real. Now they've got a much bigger price for Higuain and can probably afford a big offer for Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jester77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay much attention to him, remember this is the club that valued Andy Carroll at 35 million. They don't get the concept of what things are worth over there.

This is true and that was a massive waste of money, but then again Liverpool is also the club that got £50m the last time a star forward was sold, and are under no pressure to sell another star forward cheaper just because it suits some other club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

TheGunns wrote: »

It's not really in Liverpool's interest to let it drag too long because they'll have to have some time to get a replacement. We know that from experience.

• Advertisement

Can't believe the delusion of some Liverpool fans considering Suarez to Arsenal a "sideways" move. We're a consistent CL side and finished 12 pts ahead of them last season.

Liverpool finished 12 pts ahead of West Brom, so using their logic, I'm sure Liverpool fans would have no problem if I suggested a player moving from West Brom to Liverpool would be a "sideways" move too, right? Of course not, history, YNWA, blah blah blah.

For the accounting lads in here :pac:

Arsenal made €31mil or 32 from last seasons CL, I can't mind if you included it in your reports

It's on arseblog. I'm on the phone couldn't be bothered linking it

Tottenham made about €6mil in the EL
    A season in it is what we need - remember that :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't believe the delusion of some Liverpool fans considering Suarez to Arsenal a "sideways" move. We're a consistent CL side and finished 12 pts ahead of them last season.

Liverpool finished 12 pts ahead of West Brom, so using their logic, I'm sure Liverpool fans would have no problem if I suggested a player moving from West Brom to Liverpool would be a "sideways" move too, right? Of course not, history, YNWA, blah blah blah.

The main point is that moving to Arsenal is clearly less ambitious a move than Real Madrid/Bayern etc, are you going to make any predictions about what trophys Arsenal will win this season or even next season? 8 years and counting.

Well at least your pleased that's something, but I would rather higuan starting up front against villa to be honest!

gosplan wrote: »
    Positives:

Being encouraged by Suarez agent

Not that far off Liverpool's valuation

Liverpool have to sell him

Liverpool will probably have to reinvest the cash so might need to get it wrapped up in next fortnight or so

No other clubs in so far

Negatives:
    Real might be interested

Would say that the bid is quite a bit off the valuation to be honest, especially that for a team in the same league.

And Liverpool don't have to sell. Suarez signed a contract extension last season, so has three years left on his contract. If he refuses to hand in a transfer request and no club meets Liverpool's valuation then he stays.

A lot will depend on what motivates the player too. If wages are the main motivation then Arsenal will notbe able to offer anything Liverpool cannot. If playing in the CL in the coming season is the motivation then Arsenal have that. if winning silverware is the motivation, then it could be argued that liverpool and Arsenal both have the domestic cups as their best chance of silverware.

To be honest if silverware and a chance to win the CL do turn out to be the motivation, the player would be best served to avoid Arsenal altogether and leave Liverpool in favour of Real (assuming Real have a genuine interest)

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    The main point is that moving to Arsenal is clearly less ambitious a move than Real Madrid/Bayern etc, are you going to make any predictions about what trophys Arsenal will win this season or even next season? 8 years and counting.

That old chestnut it's getting as tiring as the notion that l'pool are the high status club of the 80's

Arguably not even on top in mersyside

Well, outside of us, Real are the only ones who I think will make a bid and I actually believe he'll be a Real player very soon. Arsenal would be a less ambitious move but my point is that it's still an upgrade, not a major upgrade, rather than a sideways move. Don't get me started on the 8 trophy-less years, I have a bigger problem with the 'Wenger Knows Best' lot than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

batistuta9 wrote: »
    That old chestnut it's getting as tiring as the notion that l'pool are the high status club of the 80's

Arguably not even on top in Merseyside

Its chestnut that's getting older by the year. And Liverpool were the "high status" club (quaint phrase) of the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

@Kess73

^^ This is what I was referring to last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Arsenal don't win anything so if Suarez was to there it would be for money

Arsenal also don't bid £40m on players!

Arsenal would certainly not be a sideways move at present. But it would not be as big a jump up as a number of other clubs would be.

The main advantage, and it is a very valid one, Arsenal have over Liverpool in terms of attraction (imo of course) is that Arsenal are a settled CL team who qualify for that competition season after season.

But domestically and in terms of wages there is no such gap really. In terms of wages Arsenal are not going to blow Liverpool out of the water, and in terms of giving a player a chance of winning domestic silverware Arsenal don't look any more a sure thing than Liverpool.

So Arsenal would be a genuine step up at present imho, but only because of the fact they would allow a player to play in the CL.

MD1990 wrote: »

Would be a bit churlish though to suggest that a player would not have a chance at silverware at Arsenal. Yes they have not won anything since the FA cup in 2005, but they do have a team/squad that will be in contention for the same domestic cups as Liverpool, and they do come with a chance ( and it is a small chance in my eyes but a chance nonetheless) of competing for the league title and the CL.

The "Arsenal win nothing" jibe carries very little weight with me for as long as the team I support is floundering around in the upper midtable positions. If Liverpool had matched Arsenal by getting a CL slot on a regular basis over the past few seasons, then Arsenal's lack of silverware becomes a reason to see Arsenal as a sideways step at best but we all know which club has stayed in the top four and which one fell away for the past four seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Interesting read on Arseblog today, and I have to say I agree with a lot of what he had to say.

I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of Arsenal paying the reported amount of money for Suarez when it all seems so risky in terms of his character and temperament.

There'll be no guarantees that he wont repeat his horrendous behaviour if he does join us and I'd have felt a lot more comfortable and excited if the club had just stumped up the cash and bough Higuain :mad:

• Advertisement

The thing is, Mike, that supporters of other teams could say similar things about the team you and I support.

4 years and counting since Liverpool qualified for the cl.

23 years and counting since a league title.

Plus if you are going to ask Arsenal fans for their predictions on what silveware their club is going to win, maybe you should offer your own prediction on what Liverpool will win this coming season.

blag wrote: »
    Interesting read on Arseblog today, and I have to say I agree with a lot of what he had to say.

I don't really feel comfortable with the idea of Arsenal paying the reported amount of money for Suarez when it all seems so risky in terms of his character and temperament.

There'll be no guarantees that he wont repeat his horrendous behaviour if he does join us and I'd have felt a lot more comfortable and excited if the club had just stumped up the cash and bough Higuain :mad:
    Exactly as I have been saying if hig will improve the team then just pay the money, but some people are happy to see the money sitting in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would be a bit churlish though to suggest that a player would not have a chance at silverware at Arsenal. Yes they have not won anything since the FA cup in 2005, but they do have a team/squad that will be in contention for the same domestic cups as Liverpool, and they do come with a chance ( and it is a small chance in my eyes but a chance nonetheless) of competing for the league title and the CL.

The "Arsenal win nothing" jibe carries very little weight with me for as long as the team I support is floundering around in the upper midtable positions. If Liverpool had matched Arsenal by getting a CL slot on a regular basis over the past few seasons, then Arsenal's lack of silverware becomes a reason to see Arsenal as a sideways step at best but we all know which club has stayed in the top four and which one fell away for the past four seasons.
    Man united showed last year what signing one genuinely world class striker can do to a team. Arsenal improved as a team a lot as the year progressed and if they did add suarez plus 1 or to other good players I definitely see them challenging for the title this year.

They may not win but they should definitely be up there challenging

Exactly as I have been saying if hig will improve the team then just pay the money, but some people are happy to see the money sitting in the bank.

Not at all. I just think that if we'd let RM move the goal posts so much any future transfer would become a nightmare with the selling club thinking we were push overs. I'm still confident that the bank will be looking a lot more empty shortly and the team will have quality additions on the pitch

No it's not.

Sideways move implies that moving to Arsenal shows no more ambition than staying at Liverpool.

That's what I take from it anyway and we're respectfully suggesting that this is incorrect.

Obviously a striker would rather be at Real or Bayern.

MD1990 wrote: »

You don't think Suarez is good enough to take Arsensl to the next level?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not at all. I just think that if we'd let RM move the goal posts so much any future transfer would become a nightmare with the selling club thinking we were push overs. I'm still confident that the bank will be looking a lot more empty shortly and the team will have quality additions on the pitch

I don't think this should be a deciding factor in whether we sign him or not, the club should decide what they feel he is worth. If he is worth 40m pay it if he is not dont, the messing around in the middle shouldnt stop us.

I think the market is so unvalued at the minute with all the money floating around (I read Southampton where looking to buy someone for £18m) that selling clubs are struggling to identify what they can get and buying clubs what they should pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

I just might be paro, but is anybody else skeptical about this suarez situation, as in Arsenal know we don't have a hope in signing Suarez and are going to come out and say we tried blah blah blah and sign nobody. Seems a big fishy this hole scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

TheBza wrote: »
    I just might be paro, but is anybody else skeptical about this suarez situation, as in Arsenal know we don't have a hope in signing Suarez and are going to come out and say we tried blah blah blah and sign nobody. Seems a big fishy this hole scenario.

Its possible, but in fairness they arent confirming any of these bids themselves. I think they do want to buy high end my concern is we have little experience over 15m.

I do think we will see one big signing

• Advertisement

Man united showed last year what signing one genuinely world class striker can do to a team. Arsenal improved as a team a lot as the year progressed and if they did add suarez plus 1 or to other good players I definitely see them challenging for the title this year.

They may not win but they should definitely be up there challenging

My reason for saying that Arsenal would have a small chance (even if they got Suarez) is down to the fact I think Chelsea, City, and Man U have far stronger squads. Now granted all three have new managers in, but whilst Arsenal might leapfrog one of those teams in the table come the end of the coming season, I really would not fancy their chances of finishing ahead of all three.

As for RVP moving to Man U. Well he was a top class player moving to the team that came second only on goal difference. Plus Man U finished last season on the exact same number of points as they did in the season without RVP. Suarez moving to Arsenal would not really be comparable as he would not be joining as strong a team as RVP did.

But then again having a small chance of winning the title still means a team has a shot at it, and I would be delighted if I was going into this season thinking my team had even a slim chance of winning the league rather than feeling my team has no title chance even before a ball is kicked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement