Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

pandaboy wrote: »
    That was the point I was trying to make. Although the press conference will mean sweet FA. He won't state anything other than the game ahead. There'll be slight allusions to some transfer progress but we won't know until the fat lady loses her voice.

Can't wait for the game on Saturday, it's been too long. Villa will be great a team to play as well, not a bad opener. Hopefully no injuries tonight and we'll be flying. Wonder who'll play LW? Rosicky? Podolski on the bench for coverage in ST and the Wing.

I have to say it's the first season I ain't as pumped for. Maybe when the game kicks off I be up for it, it's just nothing to be excited for. I just see the same old same old again. If this team couldn't compete last season what makes us think they can this season without top signings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Theres always next year.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Different time now Gunns, we need to make a statement. We haven't won anything in a long time. Even Wigan Portsmouth and Swansea have won trophies. We can't accept another trophyless season can we?

We were promised to spend cash and yet our Transfer policy has been disgraceful.

Let's not kid ourselves. All those three teams would swap any day of the week with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Where did this 'bargain basement' phrase come from in regard to Arsenal signings?? Stupid phrase. Who exactly were our bargain basement signings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Perez was one of our bargain basement targets and we couldn't even sign him!

Let's not kid ourselves. All those three teams would swap any day of the week with us.

But they are minnows.

We are Arsenal Football Club. We are the third most successful Club in English Football and the top 5 richest club. Why the hell are we accepting second best. Why is our manager not wanting us to compete. There is something rotten in that club, The Board or Wenger need to answer. No more excuses.

I hate been negative but I'm only seen Negativity from my club. I just can't see this seriously weakened squad competing.:( We are missing three top quality players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Bargin basement singings isn't sending out the right message to our fans or our rivals.

Or our players. How long is Wilshere going to hang around for if this is the way we carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The Kicker article is claiming #AFC weren't prepared to pay the €20m (£17m) asking price for Gustavo.

Typical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wish David Dein was still at Arsenal

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    Trawled back 20 pages to find the code for fantasy football... anyone have it?

Here ye go mate 371924-96395

28 players in so far.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Or our players. How long is Wilshere going to hang around for if this is the way we carry on.

I can't see him staying long. Van Persie knew Wenger didn't want to compete, so he got out. Wilshire I can see just been wore down by Wenger's and the Club's lack of ambition. I see Munich, Barcenlona, Utd, City and Mardid come sniffing around soon enough. They are big clubs with ambition and don't accept second best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Perez was one of our bargain basement targets and we couldn't even sign him!

Because of a work permit. Not a lot we can do there.

lertsnim wrote: »

I don't think Wenger is able for today's market. Too old fashioned and it's hurting the club.

We need a Dein type to find players and sort out the deals.

I can't see him staying long. Van Persie knew Wenger didn't want to compete, so he got out. he could get a lot more money by moving.

Fixed that for you.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

That too but he wanted to win things too. Let's not be that foolish gnfnrhead ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Ah now, this is getting ridiculously OTT.
    lertsnim wrote: »

Not this again...

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Because of a work permit. Not a lot we can do there.

Ok well should someone not at least had a look in to the situation before we gave him a trial.

Absolute clowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Here ye go mate 371924-96395

28 players in so far.

Yess.

My team name is "Gary Glitters U 10's" It's a pity usernames don't show up in it.

I can't see him staying long. Van Persie knew Wenger didn't want to compete, so he got out. Wilshire I can see just been wore down by Wenger's and the Club's lack of ambition. I see Munich, Barcenlona, Utd, City and Mardid come sniffing around soon enough. They are big clubs with ambition and don't accept second best.

Sadly I totally agree with you. Just looking at a few signings the smaller clubs have made, Sunderland made a terrific signing in Giaccherini (6 million), Swansea in Bony (11 million) & Shelvey (5 million), Southampton with Wanyama (12 million). These are players that could come in and improve our squad and potentially improve our starting XI.

Sadly I totally agree with you. Just looking at a few signings the smaller clubs have made, Sunderland made a terrific signing in Giaccherini (6 million), Swansea in Bony (11 million) & Shelvey (5 million), Southampton with Wanyama (12 million). These are players that could come in and improve our squad and potentially improve our starting XI.

Shelvy? Come on!

• Advertisement

danlen wrote: »

How is it ridiculously OTT? The best players want to win things and you are telling me we are going to win things with this squad. Bigger clubs with more ambition will come in and swoop are best players. It's a fact.

How is it? Do you honestly think Jack will hang around so he can help us finish 3rd or 4th every season, top players these days want to win trophies and unless our transfer policy changes dramatically I can't see us winning anything for the foreseeable future.

Don't agree with Shelvey, awful player.

Bony and Wanyama would have been good squad players. But the smaller clubs like Swansea are shown ambition. Why can't we?

Shelvy? Come on!

The potential is there for him to be a top player. He would of strengthened our squad and at 5 million would of been worth the risk that he develops into a big player for us.

The potential is there for him to be a top player. He would of strengthened our squad and at 5 million would of been worth the risk that he develops into a big player for us.

You gotta be fûcking joking!! You have an extremely low opinion of our squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

no no no. Only Bony there is good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Id have Zelanam, Eisfield , Frimpong, Coquelin and the tea lady in midfield before shelvey

jonny666 wrote: »
    You have an extremely low opinion of our squad.

Yes I do as were 2 or 3 injuries away from a total crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,495 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not this again...

Not a bit OTT at all.
    We have seen it all before and often enough too.
    Money is an issue but players want success too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ha ha ha.

Good stuff Wenger. Keep up the trolling.

• Advertisement

We really are. But buying shelvey for 5million isn't the answer!

You'd be the first in here calling him a 'bargain basement' signing!

I agree, I think too many of my fellow Arsenal fan's are blinded by this fact. Losing Wilshire, Carzola and Walcott would be a massive downfall. Who have we to replace them that's anywhere near their level. We are missing a deep squad that City, Chelsea and Utd have in bucketloads.

Ok well should someone not at least had a look in to the situation before we gave him a trial.

Absolute clowns.

A lot of the time they can go either way. Denilson was not eligible but was granted a special talent WP to make the move.

Id have Zelanam, Eisfield , Frimpong, Coquelin and the tea lady in midfield before shelvey

You obviously haven't watched the lad for Swansea in pre season and there Europa League tie v Malmo where he ran the show for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No Gustavo?

jumping-out-of-window.gif

We really are. But buying shelvey for 5million isn't the answer!

You'd be the first in here calling him a 'bargain basement' signing!

Listen he is a young English lad who has already represented England at senior level, I never said he would go straight into our starting XI but he could of replaced some players who are always injured, Diaby, Frimpong, Rosicky to a point etc and used as backup and if he didn't really show much after a few seasons then we could always get our money back on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sky Sports News (Germany) are saying that Wolfsburg have denied signing Gustavo.

Listen he is a young English lad who has already represented England at senior level, I never said he would go straight into our starting XI but he could of replaced some players who are always injured, Diaby, Frimpong, Rosicky to a point etc and used as backup and if he didn't really show much after a few seasons then we could always get our money back on him.

Why didn't Liverpool hold on to him so? Why is he at Swansea. Really getting desperate at this stage! We've shipped out dead wood. Wtf is the point of binging in more?? You have got to be tolling. Are you really sayin that we should have bought johnjoe shelvey?

Can't take much more of this.
    I wish it was Sept 2nd.

• Advertisement

Shelvey is nowhere near an elite player. nowhere near. Rodgers would have kept him if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Shelvey

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Why didn't Liverpool hold on to him so? Why is he at Swansea. Really getting desperate at this stage! We've shipped out dead wood. Wtf is the point of binging in more?? You have got to be tolling. Are you really sayin that we should have bought johnjoe shelvey?

Maybe I am losing the plot with the lack of signings, even the missis said I was mumbling the words "spend some money" in my sleep the other night :pac:

Looking at the England game, the Scots seemed really fired up I will be squinting anytime a tackle comes in on Jack or Theo :o

I wish it was Sept 2nd.

you and me both.

I wish it was Sept 2nd.

It's good fun just don't get excited when were linked and don't implode when we the player supposedly signs for someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    Sky Sports News (Germany) are saying that Wolfsburg have denied signing Gustavo.

The only thing i have learned from this window is that most newspapers / journalists haven't got a scooby doo what is actually going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

shelvy will be a great player but not a top 4 great player. he will probably make it to downing standard and become a top player for someone like villa in 5 or 6 years. not fast enough for a top 4 side and would never make it in a arsenal team

It's good fun just don't get excited when were linked and don't implode when we the player supposedly signs for someone else

I have a young lad who is Arsenal mad and he has my head demented.
    He says that Wenger wouldn't sign a cheque.
    Impossible to switch off. :D

Paulegend wrote: »
    shelvy will be a great player but not a top 4 great player. he will probably make it to downing standard and become a top player for someone like villa in 5 or 6 years. not fast enough for a top 4 side and would never make it in a arsenal team

agree with this.
    he'll be a very good player at his level but i don't think he'll make the very top.

I have a young lad who is Arsenal mad and he has my head demented.
    He says that Wenger wouldn't sign a cheque.
    Impossible to switch off. :D

I'd love that :)
    Just tell him everything is gonna work out fine your friend from the Internet said so :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

How is it? Do you honestly think Jack will hang around so he can help us finish 3rd or 4th every season, top players these days want to win trophies and unless our transfer policy changes dramatically I can't see us winning anything for the foreseeable future.
    How is it ridiculously OTT? The best players want to win things and you are telling me we are going to win things with this squad. Bigger clubs with more ambition will come in and swoop are best players. It's a fact.

Because we've even yet to play a game this season and your talking about Wilshere leaving in the future. Let's not be getting ahead of ourselves. Let's focus on starting this season, nevermind finishing it, before we start the doom and gloom of who is going to leave next.

There IS going to be signings before the transfer window closes. And sure, signings this late are not ideal but surely we needn't lose the heads completely yet?

And btw, giving out about our transfer policy and then saying we should have signed Jonjo Shelvey really doesn't do your argument any good! Pull yourself together man! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement