Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

gosplan wrote: »
    In fairness, the priority for any Brazillian player in the national team this year will be first team football.

The world cup will be the biggest thing in Guatavo's career. You'd imagine that's why he's leaving Bayern and if he's behind Arteta, then he shouldn't join us.
    Or we can question why we're losing out to a player who will join a mid-table, nothing Bundesliga side instead of us. It has to be a case of our valuation or salary offered, if either were.

Or you could just read the post above yours...

(I hate this guy, but sometimes he just works)

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Why are they a nothing side?

How do you know we're 'losing' out?

They've been a downward spiral for years, which was exacerbated by Magath buying nearly an entirely new side and wasting VW's money, while alienating the entire team with his training methods. They only thing they have going for them is VW's money, which if the tweets are true, was probably one of the deciding factors in Gustavo joining them if he is on €7m per year.

Gustavo is a terrific player, I've watched him since his Hoffenheim days. As I said last night, he would be the heir to Arteta and provide back-up for when our defence is light, such as this Saturday is Sagna is injured. If a player sees Wolfsburg as a more attractive option than us and CL football, something has gone very wrong.

Or you could just read the post above yours...

(I hate this guy, but sometimes he just works)

:rolleyes:

You hate who? Me? Try to at least pretend that you're a moderator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

bad2dabone wrote: »
    well if he chooses wolfsburg over us then he's not the kind we need. end of.

If he chooses Wolfsburg over us, we were never in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The bro in law sent me a text tonight saying Cazorla is magical and hes a Spurs fan. He scored and got an assist as well.

WHAT !!! :mad:

Cazorla's a Spurs fan :eek: ... sell him the dirty two faced ... doh!

... night shifts and transfer fatigue ... thanks,he played well then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The telegraph is reporting that your are "thinking" of bidding 49m for Luis, knowing full well that Liverpool will not sell below 50m, not to mind that they will not sell to Arsenal at any price

Arsenal are a sad sad club, If they do offer 49m, so much for Wenger's comment about respecting Liverpool.

I see they also underbid on the Brazilian that went to Bremen as well.

*Rips of t-shirt Hulk Hogan Style*

Sad club coming from a Liverpool fan that's a bit ironic. Wait and see, don't piss on any club's above until you finish above us laddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

FearDark wrote: »

What?? maybe he thinks Wolfsburg are a better club, isn't that a shock:P.
    Let's wait until tomorrow and less of the hear say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wolfsburg are said to be paying him 130k a week. Is he really worth that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

greendom wrote: »
    Wolfsburg are said to be paying him 130k a week. Is he really worth that ?

What else we gonna spend it on?

What else we gonna spend it on?

I can't argue with that to be fair. Especially with all the freed up salaries this Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

is sagna out? are we one injury away from having 1 ****ing centre back vs fenerbache?
    do we have 150 million in the bank?

the situation is pretty ridiculous.

This is absolutely typical of all your posts on this site. You can't actually take a step back and digest the information before going into a negative frenzy with every little piece of information you receive, can you?

A: No, not you, this guy -> :rolleyes:

B: I'm a mod of the bands and musicians forum. That has absolutely no bearing on the soccer forum whatsoever.

You should look up the rules of boards.ie if you think I should hold myself higher on any other forum, just because I mod one.

Well done. After all the tripe I have read on this forum over the last few years, your negativity astounds me.

Have a couple of definitions. I know for a fact there's a few more here who need to read them too:

sup·port·er
    /səˈpôrtər/
    Noun
    A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
    A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.
    Synonyms
    advocate - backer - adherent - upholder - follower

fan
    /fan/
    Noun
    An apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.
    A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.
    Verb
    Cool (esp. a person or a part of the body) by waving something to create a current of air.
    Synonyms
    noun. ventilator - admirer
    verb. winnow

Now, ask yourself, HOW are you a supporter? You're not the only one here. True story, my dad got me into supporting the gunners. Is he a supporter nowadays? No. He liked it when no-one liked us. He hated the flair football we ended up playing, he liked it when we had lads that would give a dig and take a knock. Thing is, he'll still keep an eye on the scores, but he would never call himself a supporter nowadays. Because he doesn't support the team that's there now. He doesn't support another team btw. And I admire him for his honesty. Why should he blithely support a team that isn't the team he supported? The name is the same, but absolutely everything is different from the 60's Arsenal Football Club to the Metropolitan Football Club it is today. Fair play to him.

You support the club or you don't.

Last season, I was calling for Wengers head. But I'm still a proud supporter of the club and I do have this absolute naive belief that everything will work out and we'll win trophy's again. I can't go into a season thinking, 4th place is the best we can do. We are the Arsenal and even if we had a one legged goalie and some 17 year olds playing for us, I'd still support the team.

The negativity in this thread is insane. At least let's close the transfer window before all hell breaks lose and we start talking about signing Shelvey and f*cking Lambert.

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Does anybody else feel that Arsene and the board have backed themselves into so much sh*t that they now have to spend over the odds. Every club know we have money, and despite what Liverpool say if we were to bid over 50m for Luis they would be mad not to sell.

This is absolutely typical of all your posts on this site. You can't actually take a step back and digest the information before going into a negative frenzy with every little piece of information you receive, can you?

B: I'm a mod of the bands and musicians forum. That has absolutely no bearing on the soccer forum whatsoever.

You should look up the rules of boards.ie if you think I should hold myself higher on any other forum, just because I mod one.

Well done. After all the tripe I have read on this forum over the last few years, your negativity astounds me.

Have a couple of definitions. I know for a fact there's a few more here who need to read them too:

sup·port·er
    /səˈpôrtər/
    Noun
    A person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
    A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team.
    Synonyms

fan
    /fan/
    Noun
    An apparatus with rotating blades that creates a current of air for cooling or ventilation.
    A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.
    Verb
    Cool (esp. a person or a part of the body) by waving something to create a current of air.
    Synonyms
    verb. winnow

Now, ask yourself, HOW are you a supporter? You're not the only one here. True story, my dad got me into supporting the gunners. Is he a supporter nowadays? No. He liked it when no-one liked us. He hated the flair football we ended up playing, he liked it when we had lads that would give a dig and take a knock. Thing is, he'll still keep an eye on the scores, but he would never call himself a supporter nowadays. Because he doesn't support the team that's there now. He doesn't support another team btw. And I admire him for his honesty. Why should he blithely support a team that isn't the team he supported? The name is the same, but absolutely everything is different from the 60's Arsenal Football Club to the Metropolitan Football Club it is today. Fair play to him.

Last season, I was calling for Wengers head. But I'm still a proud supporter of the club and I do have this absolute naive belief that everything will work out and we'll win trophy's again. I can't go into a season thinking, 4th place is the best we can do. We are the Arsenal and even if we had a one legged goalie and some 17 year olds playing for us, I'd still support the team.

The negativity in this thread is insane. At least let's close the transfer window before all hell breaks lose and we start talking about signing Shelvey and f*cking Lambert.

Jesus.

A shame you didn't look up the definition of 'brevity'. I support the club like everyone else here and want us to become ambitious once more to reverse the stagnation of the last few years. Most of the time I post the latest news and rumours I can find, so there's new topics to discuss. I wish there was positive stuff to share latly.

I would rather Wenger left years ago but I cheer every goal, relish every victory and when I'm on this thread, I'm entitled to air views you may not like. So enough with the personal attacks or questioning of my fandom; I'm sure we're both beneath arguments like this.

dvemail wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel that Arsene and the board have backed themselves into so much sh*t that they now have to spend over the odds. Every club know we have money, and despite what Liverpool say if we were to bid over 50m for Luis they would be mad not to sell.

Well whoever our post-Suarez target is gonna be, the selling club are definitely going to have seen us coming a mile away. Usually we target distressed or relegated clubs (Koln, Malaga last year) so we don't pay over the odds, which is why I've been surprised we haven't been linked with Willian, Eto'o or Traore or Anzhi. That's a club who are dying to slash their wage bill and literally can't afford to play mind games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

No thanks, we will hold onto Luis for as long as possible, he can go to Madrid for 40m plus if he wants, but no way to the competition. ;)

Just as well Liverpool aren't in competition with Arsenal if that's the case. You are in competition with Everton, West Brom etc. Arsenal are in competition with spurs, Chelsea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Or we can question why we're losing out to a player who will join a mid-table, nothing Bundesliga side instead of us. It has to be a case of our valuation or salary offered, if either were.
    FearDark wrote: »

Gustavo wants guaranteed football, he wants to be starting

stories of him to arsenal in january even, were all about that being the reason he could've been available, him not being happy with not starting for Bayern

he started 16 times in the league for Bayern last year, would he be getting many more starts than that at arsenal?

if he chooses wolfsburg you can't blame arsenal for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm gonna spend more gonna see arsenal this weekend than arsenal have spent on transfers this window

I love my club :):):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Reign it back in please. The only moderators of this forum are listed in the main page of the forum. Anyone else is a poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dfx- wrote: »
    Reign it back in please. The only moderators of this forum are listed in the main page of the forum. Anyone else is a poster.

To be fair, speedboat never said he moderates this forum. Only that he is a moderator. Which is true. :)

And all this over a smiley!

TheGunns wrote: »
    Countless 'bargain basement' signing for us have been amazing. Probably the best players Wenger has signing have been from the 'bargain basement'.

That's a long-ass time ago. I see there's 7 pages for me to catch up on later, I'm hoping that's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

That's a long-ass time ago. I see there's 7 pages for me to catch up on later, I'm hoping that's good news.

sup·port·er
    /səˈpôrtər/
    Noun
    Synonyms

fan
    /fan/
    Noun
    Verb
    Synonyms
    verb. winnow

Jesus.

I'll be more than happy if we sign Jesus - the man can do miraculous things both on and off the pitch - maybe he can even heal the rift between two Gooners driven demented by the transfer window - and help Arsene say "Com - fort - able" comfortably. Would make for some great commentary to:

"Jesus he's after scoring"

... "and at half time we've witnessed an incredible sight ... before he went to the dressing room Arsenal's number 9 Jesus has fed the entire section of away fans with loaves and fishes"

" ... and Jesus has cured Howard Webb ... he's no longer blind and wearing Man Utd red tinted glasses" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A shame you didn't look up the definition of 'brevity'. I support the club like everyone else here and want us to become ambitious once more to reverse the stagnation of the last few years. Most of the time I post the latest news and rumours I can find, so there's new topics to discuss. I wish there was positive stuff to share latly.

I would rather Wenger left years ago but I cheer every goal, relish every victory and when I'm on this thread, I'm entitled to air views you may not like. So enough with the personal attacks or questioning of my fandom; I'm sure we're both beneath arguments like this.

I agree with everything he said but aside from that, I've an issue with you posting every bit of Arsenal related rumour or twitter bullsh1t.

I choose not to be on twitter, read the telegraph and things like that. This is my own personal bullsh1t filter.

The thing is you discuss the Arsenal news, but if you looked properly, you'd see there hasn't been any news for ages. What you're discussing is any possibility of us strengthening and whenever a single one doesn't work out(or actually is rumoured not to be working out) this place goes into meltdown.

Without twitter ITK's, this thread would be tumbleweed with the odd post of impatience. With all the bullsh1t rumours, it's become 20 horrible pages per day that surely no-one is getting anything from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

City signed Jesus, he's taken. :P

Looper007 wrote: »
    But they are minnows.

We are Arsenal Football Club. We are the third most successful Club in English Football and the top 5 richest club. Why the hell are we accepting second best. Why is our manager not wanting us to compete. There is something rotten in that club, The Board or Wenger need to answer. No more excuses..
    People like to gloss over that. We're the 3rd winningest (sorry!) club in England.
    People also don't seem to realise that when Wenger took over we had just been overtaken by United in league titles http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/honours If anyone gives half a **** about the club they would have spent the last 5 years making it clear. All that's running the show is people who like having a box to watch a game once a week. That's all the club is at this stage. :(
    people who say giroud is crap don't really have a clue.

he's not world class, but he's not crap.
    He's not crap, he also shouldn't be part of the first XI of Arsenal.

I agree with everything he said but aside from that, I've an issue with you posting every bit of Arsenal related rumour or twitter bullsh1t.

I choose not to be on twitter, read the telegraph and things like that. This is my own personal bullsh1t filter.

The thing is you discuss the Arsenal news, but if you looked properly, you'd see there hasn't been any news for ages. What you're discussing is any possibility of us strengthening and whenever a single one doesn't work out(or actually is rumoured not to be working out) this place goes into meltdown.

Without twitter ITK's, this thread would be tumbleweed with the odd post of impatience. With all the bullsh1t rumours, it's become 20 horrible pages per day that surely no-one is getting anything from.

So you're agreeing with me that all the "ambition" bull**** is exactly what it is, bull****? :pac:

So you're agreeing with me that all the "ambition" bull**** is exactly what it is, bull****? :pac:

Oh, ha ha ha. You've got me there.

Without the retarded tit for tat that goes on in this place when there's no actual news(see above), I don't believe a word of anything.

Wenger and Arsenal's ambition will be judged at the end of the window.

Oh, ha ha ha. You've got me there.

Without the retarded tit for tat that goes on in this place when there's no actual news(see above), I don't believe a word of anything.

Wenger and Arsenal's ambition will be judged at the end of the window.

That's pretty much what I said a couple of weeks ago. I don't believe a word out of the media so I was already annoyed before the pre-season tour that we hadn't signed anyone, because that's all that counts. Now we're 2 days from kick-off and we still have no-one so now we're looking at the end of the transfer window and pretty much accepting the best we'll do is go for top 4 again. Out of all the summers this was the one to ****ing go for it and win the league. That's what gets me. I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist. We're not far off owning the league for a while to come but the fact that we still haven't gone for it this year makes me think we never will.

Bleh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

STILL NOTHING??? Seriously starting to worry now. I know whatever deals we push through will be last minute, but I just get the feeling that I'm going to be very disappointed at the end if it all! At least Suarez hasn't apologised and rebuffed quotes that allegedly said he was definitely staying. I'd still be shocked if we landed him with all that's been said.

L'prof wrote: »
    STILL NOTHING??? Seriously starting to worry now. I know whatever deals we push through will be last minute, but I just get the feeling that I'm going to be very disappointed at the end if it all! At least Suarez hasn't apologised and rebuffed quotes that allegedly said he was definitely staying. I'd still be shocked if we landed him with all that's been said.

Just accept that either...

A: we're not getting anyone before CL qualification

B: Wenger has truly lost the plot and we're not getting anyone

In either case, nothing's happening today or tomorrow or the day after ...etc.

This viewpoint prevents daily disappointment and growing anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just accept that either...

A: we're not getting anyone before CL qualification

B: Wenger has truly lost the plot and we're not getting anyone

In either case, nothing's happening today or tomorrow or the day after ...etc.

This viewpoint prevents daily disappointment and growing anxiety.

Yeah I know. Some days I'm quite rational about the while thing, but after hearing that Spurs are signing Capoue I'm tearing my hair out again!

There's no doubt that this has so far been a terrible transfer window for acquisitions. Twitter has made it 10 times worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Anyone get a phone call to play on saturday !!? Rumours Walcott was taken off injured last night. Didnt see it myself so cant say whether its true or not. But even the possibility of 2 first teamers out shows the stupidity of this summer from Wenger and the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I hope you all regret the hate you're bringing to this thread :( Just you wait ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

TheGunns wrote: »
    I hope you all regret the hate you're bringing to this thread :( Just you wait ;)

Wait for what mate? Another 4th place?

Wait for what mate? Another 4th place trophy

FYP

I'd be over the moon with an fa cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Flamini has been training with us to keep up his fitness I wonder will Wenger bring him back.

He's 29 so still a decent age and could be a decent utility player for the squad.

He's a free agent this summer after his contract ended with AC.

j14 wrote: »
    Flamini has been training with us to keep up his fitness

Didn't know that.

Interesting option. Is the talent still there though?

I didn't follow him at Milan but no way would the Flamini that played at Arsenal have been a squad player. I always wondered as a result, was that one outstanding year spurred on by the fact he was playing for his future wage.

Could still be a good backup option but I'd rather a younger face that might take over from Arteta rather than someone who would retire a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

If you take the last 8 years together Wenger has been nothing if not predictable, always the easy option. We will probably sign Flamini, just wait for the announcement that he is going to play a game for the U21s for "fitness", consider it done then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Could still be a good backup option but I'd rather a younger face that might take over from Arteta rather than someone who would retire a year later.

As a senior back up I think he would be a good addition. By no means would I prefer him over Arteta or Jack but as someone who could cover an injury or just a general squad addition I think he could be decent body to have around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If things couldnt get any worse, alot of media outlets are reporting Spurs bidding 30 million for young Argentine Eric Lamela. They seem to have got rid of all there deadwood if you could even call it that (parker,huddleston,caulker,livermore,defoe??) but unlike us have actually gone out and strengthened quite considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Really excited for the game in 2 days time. It appears that some people here have forgotten about it.

Squad wearing thin but it will be nice to see how we perform, and hopefully we can carve open an inexperienced Villa side. Giroud could do a lot of damage on Saturday!

not forgotten about Villa on saturday, flying in in the morning, meetin the brother in law for a fry up, heading to the game, picking up a new jersey for my infant son, cheering till i'm hoarse, flying home after the match.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus you know things are desperate when Rickie Lambert, Jonjo Shelvey and Mathieu Flamini are being touted as potential acquisitions.

I think I'm switching off from any Arsenal transfer talk for the rest of the window. It's annoying me now at this stage.

What is it they say about insanity; the definition of it is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result? Groundhog day everyday at AFC.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If things couldnt get any worse, alot of media outlets are reporting Spurs bidding 30 million for young Argentine Eric Lamela. They seem to have got rid of all there deadwood if you could even call it that (parker,huddleston,caulker,livermore,defoe??) but unlike us have actually gone out and strengthened quite considerably.

Yeah but the joke will be on them when they realise they overspent by about 1 million per player - ha ha ha

well done spurs.

60m spent.

4 strong additions for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dunno about Flamini, I liked him as a player but he sold out and doesnt deserve another chance at the club in my eyes. Plus if he was any good AC would have offered him a short term contract at the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

well done spurs.

60m spent.

4 strong additions for them.

Never mind 4th there is no reason why they cant mount a serious title challenge with that squad of players especially if they keep Bale.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement