Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Santi101 wrote: »
    The sooner Wenger goes the better, protect some of his legacy.

Disaster of a window. All huffing and puffing in May when we got Top 4, 2 days before the first game of the season and we've done nothing.

So Wenger goes and then some alright manager takes his place who will instantly have the power to convince the Arsenal board to take a different approach to running the club?

I don't think that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Rightly or wrongly I think most Arsenal fans believe Wenger has the final say on financial dealings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if a new manager comes in the board will have to back him with transfer funds. something there, according to the board, is an abundance of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Santi101 wrote: »
    Spurs must be laughing at our failure to strengthen.

In fairness they will only be in a position to laugh if Bale stays. Hats off to them for strengthening and all but if he leaves that's a big blow to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

don't post here much but do check in on the thread frequently. I ,like virtually all arsenal fans, am extremely frustrated by our lack of inactivity in strengthening this window. I know there is still time to do business, and they probably will, but it is becoming quite infuriating at times. reports now emerging that gustavo has chosen ahead of us. why is this? they've offered more money? we, once again, couldnt agree a fee with bayern? who knows. but if true, and he opts to stay in germany it's another slap in the face for us. no one knows the ins and outs of how we operate behind the scenes but something has to be inherently wrong. we've lost out on bender, higuain and now probably gustavo. we were very strongly linked with bernard, and whether a bid was made or not is unconfirmed but he has gone to shahktar. the nauseating pursuit of suarez appears to be ending with another unnsuccesful attempt to secure a player. reputable sources have confirmed the pursuit of all these players as well as capoue last january. im mainly just venting as i simply cannot explain it and it's the same story every year. wenger has said himself there are very few quality players available but to suggest our team can compete for the title without significant investment is ludicrous. the pressure has been heaped on wenger through gazidis and co expressing the size of our warchest and capabilities in the transfer market. poerhaps there has been a breakdown in comminication between the parties. i think the likes of suarez, rooney etc are unrelaistic targets and the squad could have been improved dramatically with other lesser high profile players, notably higuain. i have a lawyer friend in london whose firm represented arsenal at one point and he has confirmed to me the long suggested idea about wenger's incredible stubborness. he had worked on deals in the past for the likes of walcott and stated wenger is involved every step of the way and can be difficult to work with at times. even in trying to sell deadwood players at the time, like awuso abieye (who?) aw will try get every last penny out of a potential buyer. anyway, where do we go from here? we are mow linked with michu and dzeko and we wont sign either of these players either. the saga continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

cathalio11 wrote: »
    So Wenger goes and then some alright manager takes his place who will instantly have the power to convince the Arsenal board to take a different approach to running the club?

I don't think that will happen.

The board is not the problem this Summer. Wenger is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Is Benayoun available? Maybe we'll sign that headless chicken Flamini who is training with us.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

don't post here much but do check in on the thread frequently. I ,like virtually all arsenal fans, am extremely frustrated by our lack of inactivity in strengthening this window. I know there is still time to do business, and they probably will, but it is becoming quite infuriating at times. reports now emerging that gustavo has chosen ahead of us. why is this? they've offered more money? we, once again, couldnt agree a fee with bayern? who knows. but if true, and he opts to stay in germany it's another slap in the face for us. no one knows the ins and outs of how we operate behind the scenes but something has to be inherently wrong. we've lost out on bender, higuain and now probably gustavo. we were very strongly linked with bernard, and whether a bid was made or not is unconfirmed but he has gone to shahktar. the nauseating pursuit of suarez appears to be ending with another unnsuccesful attempt to secure a player. reputable sources have confirmed the pursuit of all these players as well as capoue last january. im mainly just venting as i simply cannot explain it and it's the same story every year. wenger has said himself there are very few quality players available but to suggest our team can compete for the title without significant investment is ludicrous. the pressure has been heaped on wenger through gazidis and co expressing the size of our warchest and capabilities in the transfer market. poerhaps there has been a breakdown in comminication between the parties. i think the likes of suarez, rooney etc are unrelaistic targets and the squad could have been improved dramatically with other lesser high profile players, notably higuain. i have a lawyer friend in london whose firm represented arsenal at one point and he has confirmed to me the long suggested idea about wenger's incredible stubborness. he had worked on deals in the past for the likes of walcott and stated wenger is involved every step of the way and can be difficult to work with at times. even in trying to sell deadwood players at the time, like awuso abieye (who?) aw will try get every last penny out of a potential buyer. anyway, where do we go from here? we are mow linked with michu and dzeko and we wont sign either of these players either. the saga continues

3773-85084-judgmentdayterrorjpg-550x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

has anyone been using the player on the clubs site yet?
    any good?
    hopefully it'll have the full length press confs. on it

it's free to view it now if you sign up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Did Gustavo make his bastarding statement yet telling he's going to Wolfsburg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

At last we signed something!!!

Does it not seem like Kroenke may be trying to sell the club? Its very profitable, manageable debt and marketable. The only people making money atm are the shareholders when they receive their dividend.

A football club is meant to be about football. I understand the business part but when the main source of providing income is the team competing at a high level, it makes no sense not to spend extra money on the team. CL football was worth £35 million to us last year (I think), so why can't Arsenal justify putting the boat out and maybe overpaying for someone by a few million. I would rather pay an extra £5-£10mln for the likes of Suarez or other players and get the job done now. If we don't get CL football the top players won't come near us, making getting back into the top 4 even harder.

The squad must be somewhat demoralised by the lack of transfers. We are the only club that seems to delay on every signing!!! I know ManU haven't signed anyone but at least they have a squad. Even if we magically signed someone today, there is no chance they could start this week if they are from outside of the EPL. they would have to integrate with the team, style of play, get to know players running lines etc.

Maybe just change the badge from Arsenal FC to Arsenal Plc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

dvemail wrote: »

"We will be active until the end"

No point in being active when your not going to finalise anything.

i'm ordering the chinese and the beers for transfer deadline day, and i'm booking the comfy spot on the couch.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'm ordering the chinese and the beers for transfer deadline day, and i'm booking the comfy spot on the couch.

Order plenty of beers....oh and kleenex. Dont forget the kleenex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fortunately Suarez will have signed a couple of days before. He'll have come on and scored the 5th in our standard 5-2 against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Order plenty of beers....oh and kleenex. Dont forget the kleenex

For jacking off when Wenger announces Suarez, Fabregas and a clone of 1998 Zizou?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gosplan wrote: »
    Fortunately Suarez will have signed a couple of days before. He'll have come on and scored the 5th in our standard 5-2 against Spurs.

Have we decided to appeal the ban before he even signs?

maximoose wrote: »
    For jacking off when Wenger announces Suarez, Fabregas and a clone of 1998 Zizou?

2rddlac.jpg

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Did Gustavo make his bastarding statement yet telling he's going to Wolfsburg?

Apparently Wolfsburg had a press conference and said they were interested but nothing is concrete. Apparently.

i just can't take that he’d move to the team in 11th place in the bunesliga, vs us where with a good season he would be competing against his direct rival for a place in the brazil team – Sandro at spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Are we not playing the Spuds 2nd of September ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

i just can't take that he’d move to the team in 11th place in the bunesliga, vs us where with a good season he would be competing against his direct rival for a place in the brazil team – Sandro at spurs.

Same as Vertonghen in that he doesnt want competition, he just wants to be an automatic starter. Otherwise, why would he even leave Bayern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Are we not playing the Spuds 2nd of September ?

Sunday 1st I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jesus didn't realise they were 11th. That's like choosing Fulham over Arsenal, crazy. Wonder how an 11th place Bundesliga team can afford 120k a week wages too (rumoured).

• Advertisement

sorry i don't know what position they occupy currently but they finished 11th last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

AdamD wrote: »
    Jesus didn't realise they were 11th. That's like choosing Fulham over Arsenal, crazy. Wonder how an 11th place Bundesliga team can afford 120k a week wages too (rumoured).

Only 18 Bundes teams, it's lower down than choosing Fulham. Until he's confirmed there I wouldn't give up hope on him coming to the Emirates

Wolfsburg were only in the champions lge a few years back if I remember correctly? Dzeko played for them as well before he came to City.

They are bankrolled by Volkswagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's now 6pm in Germany - would they hold press conferences so late ? Perhaps there's been a gunner shaped spanner in the works ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Same as Vertonghen in that he doesnt want competition, he just wants to be an automatic starter. Otherwise, why would he even leave Bayern?

this isn't directly to you

when does it become the player doesn't want competition rather than them doing the best thing for themselves & their career?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Wolfsburg were only in the champions lge a few years back if I remember correctly? Dzeko played for them as well before he came to City.
    So like liverpool then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sorry i don't know what position they occupy currently but they finished 11th last season.

They are 16th but then again that only means they lost 1 game (2-0 iirc) because last weekend was the start of the league here. They did win the league a few seasons ago and do have money but as others have said its the playing time that most seem to think is the big thing for him in this world cup year especially now that he has a starting spot in the Brazil side since the confederations cup. That said he hasnt officially moved anywhere yet

If he goes to Wolfsburg its for money. He could get a lot of gametime at plenty of CL clubs, but Wolfsburg are willing to pay him double his current wages, which Bayern surely have no interest in matching, and other clubs I'd guess haven't either. For the same wages I highly doubt he chooses Wolfsburg over us or Napoli. Gametime is a BS excuse imo, hes gonna get that no matter where he moves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If he goes to Wolfsburg its for money. He could get a lot of gametime at plenty of CL clubs, but Wolfsburg are willing to pay him double his current wages, which Bayern surely have no interest in matching, and other clubs I'd guess haven't either. For the same wages I highly doubt he chooses Wolfsburg over us or Napoli. Gametime is a BS excuse imo, hes gonna get that no matter where he moves.

Maybe it's not just one factor, Extra pay while staying in Germany where he is happy and getting his game every match could be what would sway him if it sways him and it wouldnt neccesarily show a lack of ambition but a different set of priorities. I hope Arsenal sign him but also get the feeling that some Arsenal supporters are already preparing themselves to say that he wasnt the right player anyway simply cos he maybe decided not to choose them because that alone shows he isn't the sort they would want. I'd say most Arsenal fans would happily take Vertonghen despite the fact that he didnt want to fight with his mate Vermaelen at CB for a starting spot last year. That certainly didnt mean he wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think he is choosing them for more playing time and a better chance to make the World Cup team which of course is in his homeland

More power to him could be the best move he ever makes

Maybe it's not just one factor, Extra pay while staying in Germany where he is happy and getting his game every match could be what would sway him if it sways him and it wouldnt neccesarily show a lack of ambition but a different set of priorities. I hope Arsenal sign him but also get the feeling that some Arsenal supporters are already preparing themselves to say that he wasnt the right player anyway simply cos he maybe decided not to choose them because that alone shows he isn't the sort they would want. I'd say most Arsenal fans would happily take Vertonghen despite the fact that he didnt want to fight with his mate Vermaelen at CB for a starting spot last year. That certainly didnt mean he wasn't good enough.

Imagine vertonghen and kos partnership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dzeko would be a good signing for Arsenal, but I'm not sure it would make sense for City. There were only 5 points between the teams last season, and as much as City would be somewhat confident of pushing on again this season with some of the signings they've made, it wouldn't look like a great idea to strengthen a rival. Especially when there are other clubs interested, and City don't particularly need the cash.

I think he is choosing them for more playing time and a better chance to make the World Cup team which of course is in his homeland

More power to him could be the best move he ever makes

I'd say 40 games for Arsenal, with CL matches is more use to him than 45 games for a mid table side in the Bundesliga. With CL and all of the cups we play in, and with the PL being larger, he'd get similar game time here tbh. I really don't buy that argument at all.

For me its either:
    a) Money
    b) Staying in Germany
    c) Combination of both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

We are a laughing stock.

• Advertisement

I'd say 40 games for Arsenal, with CL matches is more use to him than 45 games for a mid table side in the Bundesliga. With CL and all of the cups we play in, and with the PL being larger, he'd get similar game time here tbh. I really don't buy that argument at all.

For me its either:
    a) Money
    b) Staying in Germany
    c) Combination of both

I don't see him getting 45 games been honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

FearDark wrote: »
    We are a laughing stock.

Its been that way for years in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Our bench will be Fab, Podolski, Ox and maybe Jenko if Sagna is fit. What a disgrace.

Least we get too see what jack and Ramsey are like in midfield together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Reading arteta is out for 6 weeks, lets hope its bs.

wont work though, as we have seen Arteta is essential to this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Reading arteta is out for 6 weeks, lets hope its bs.

Surely this might implore us to just fire money in Gustavo's direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hope they work well together. It not our Champions League campaign could be over by the time Arteta returns

Surely this might implore us to just fire money in Gustavo's direction?

Looks to late, Wolfsburg manager seems confident its close to being done. Flamini returns.

• Advertisement

we have 14/15 fit first team players for these qualifiers, what happens if we pick up a knock or two on saturday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement