Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 325man

Hi, can anyone tell me what has happened to 6101 to 6105 ????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

325man wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me what has happened to 6101 to 6105 ????

3 of them are were scrapped. 1 is at Northwall and the other in Inchicore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IrishRail Fanatic1987

Have they moved 6105 from North Wall? I know in a recent issue of the Irish Mail they saw Mark 3 coach at the paint spray in Inchicore can anyone shed some light on this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Have they moved 6105 from North Wall?
    No still there, in Dardinell sidings North Wall.

Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

h.gricer wrote: »
    No still there, in Dardinell sidings North Wall.

Regards
    hg

Hurrah, the mighty H Gricer! :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Report on WNXX (UK forum) that 14 mk3s stored at Inchicore have been cut, with the remaining coaches around the country to go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cbl593h wrote: »
    Report on WNXX (UK forum) that 14 mk3s stored at Inchicore have been cut, with the remaining coaches around the country to go soon.
    obviously their deliberate destruction has now been completed to a sufficient standard to justify cutting them up finally, poor old 2700s and 8200s watch out your next, then it will be the stored 201s

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Taken in Dundalk 26 July 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

obviously their deliberate destruction has now been completed to a sufficient standard to justify cutting them up finally, poor old 2700s and 8200s watch out your next, then it will be the stored 201s

At this stage I'd bet they would add 087, 225 and 230 to the scrap list if they could.

The 8200s should have been scrapped about 10 years ago though.

The 8200s should have been scrapped about 10 years ago

the 8200s should never have been bought or at least sent back on a boat with return to sender, they were a shambles and a waste of money from the get go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Do they have much of a scrap value ?? By the time the actual cost of scrapping is taken In to account ...
    Or is it IE staff who'd be doing nothing else otherwise who are doing it ...
    Still find it hard to believe that there's no practical or even radical use for them.,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do they have much of a scrap value ?? By the time the actual cost of scrapping is taken In to account ...
    i don't know but i suppose it would just depend on the market value for any of the metals involved, so its possible they could get feck all for them
    is it IE staff who'd be doing nothing else otherwise who are doing it ...
    no i believe scrapping is put out to tender these days, so following on from this i wonder do IE pay for them to take the carriges away or do the scrap merchants have to pay to buy the carriges?
    Still find it hard to believe that there's no practical or even radical use for them.
    their was before their deliberate destruction, the hourly cork service instead of the mark 4s and enhancing the bellfast service to hourly.

i don't know but i suppose it would just depend on the market value for any of the metals involved, so its possible they could get feck all for them

no i believe scrapping is put out to tender these days, so following on from this i wonder do IE pay for them to take the carriges away or do the scrap merchants have to pay to buy the carriages?

The going rate is round about about €200 per tonne for steel. A Mark 3 weights about 33 tonnes; allow about a tonne or so for floors, windows and other fittings; do your sums from here. The bogies and some fittings might have a slightly higher value assuming a buyer is there for same; if not then they will be cut up as well.

The normal procedure is to ask for tenders for scrapping. Generally it's done on site and loaded onto trucks to cut costs but it's been known to be done off site as well. NIR scrapped their class 80s on and off site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

The 450s were chopped in half on site before being taken to the scrapper for further dissection. Some photos are around of same. Think DCDR facebook page has some.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Just wondering has the RPSI expressed any interest in purchasing a set for preservation or do they just not have the resources for such a venture ?

As others have said hard to believe they were allowed get to that stage and pulled from service considering so many are still running in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

C4Kid wrote: »
    Just wondering has the RPSI expressed any interest in purchasing a set for preservation or do they just not have the resources for such a venture ?

other priorities for their limited resources I'd imagine, plus a lack of storage space. They would need a lot of work put in to be even usable again given how long they were left to rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

air conditioned air braked coaches are not a lot of use in preservation

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yachtsman

The site, and sight, in Dundalk for daily commuters and Enterprise passengers is very negative for IE. Imagine Ryanair or Aer Lingus taxiing passengers on a daily basis past derelict dsintegrating aircraft with their logos fading into oblivion? A self respecting transporter would simply not let it happen. Theres obviously no brand pride.

yachtsman wrote: »
    Theres obviously no brand pride.
    Not a problem, IÉ are onto a new brand now. Not related at all. No sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

If a person was to win the euromillions and approach IE, how much would they sell one single coach and would they sell to a private individual?

• Advertisement

If you won Euromillions, I doubt you would need to worry about the actual carriage cost. 5 - 6 thousand € or so if you use Losty's rough guide a few posts ago, plus transport costs.

Getting IÉ to sell would be the problem unless you had somewhere to put one. A single carriage requires a surprisingly large amount of room to store and I can't imagine your neighbours would be too pleased if you tried sticking a rusting 23m long carriage in your garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Would they even get €200 a tonne for the steel considering the visible rust that's on many of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Would they even get €200 a tonne for the steel considering the visible rust that's on many of them?
    If I'm right, the body shells are aluminium (maybe €1,000 per tonne) and the bogeys are steel. Total mass about 40 tonnes x more than 50 carriages.

Thats a scrap value of at least €400,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

scrap value for rust is the same as steel afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Mk3 is steel

Weight is 34 tons, of which you have to account for the interior, electrics, ac and so on

So scrap value is probably around 5-6k

Victor wrote: »
    If I'm right, the body shells are aluminium (maybe €1,000 per tonne) and the bogeys are steel.
    To the best of my knowledge, the body is a monocoque design of stressed steel fabrication. I'm not entirely sure aluminium would have the required strength.

EDIT - goingnowhere got there before me.

CTYIgirl wrote: »

Almost all iron and steel vehicles, tools and vehicles rust to some degree over time. When smelted, the small amount of rust that you see melts down into steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks like the Dundalk MKIIIs are finally getting the chop. Photo from Track and Signal on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Any chance you could post a link to the exact Twitter account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here you go.

https://twitter.com/32Milepost/status/432844520447696897/photo/1

https://twitter.com/32milepost

IE are downright mad to get rid of them for the chop. I have never been on the Mark IV's at all yet; but I know that the Mark III's are way better in terms of their comfort.

Advertisement