Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

I spotted half a Mk3 heading north on the back of a truck on the M1 yesterday....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

MoeJay wrote: »
    I spotted half a Mk3 heading north on the back of a truck on the M1 yesterday....

I think that was the one just left in the yard at Northwall for months after being cut in half and it's bogies removed much earlier. Don't know why one half was just left behind on it's side for so long and not taken with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Spotted 3 coaches at Inchicore yesterday (beside the mainlines), two were the Waterford coaches (I think) but couldn't see what the other one was. Possibly a DVT, if so are they keeping the DVT as well?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Spotted 3 coaches at Inchicore yesterday (beside the mainlines), two were the Waterford coaches (I think) but couldn't see what the other one was. Possibly a DVT, if so are they keeping the DVT as well?

As far as I know the ITG are getting the DVT. Reportedly the will just store it and not actually try to run it with anything. Shame really.

There is a rake of standards being kept for someone with deep pockets who bought the set. No one really knows who it is or where the coaches are going to end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

As far as I know the ITG are getting the DVT. Reportedly the will just store it and not actually try to run it with anything. Shame really.

is that new info or the old rumour rehashed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a rake of standards being kept for someone with deep pockets who bought the set. No one really knows who it is or where the coaches are going to end up.

Irish Rail know.... And they have very deep pockets, they should have a DSO also (Mk3 is a Driving Standard Open, Mk4 is a proper DVT)

corktina wrote: »
    is that new info or the old rumour rehashed?

That's just the same info from months back. The way I see it is, the DVT is basically useless now without modification work as all the 6300 coaches have been scrapped.

It's not really a DSO either as it has un undeerfloor genny to power the lights, doors and air suspension for itself and up to 5 other 6300 vehicles.

Only theory I have for it is to modify it by removing it's genny and turning it into a true DSO to work with the rake that is being kept and making it compatible with the the sole surviving EGV, 7601 that was stored at Dundalk. 8208 hauled it back to Inchicore after everything else was scrapped.

Our deep pocketed friends want a DSO...

They are well aware the 6100 generator isn't up to a full length train

It's not really a DSO either as it has un undeerfloor genny to power the lights, doors and air suspension for itself and up to 5 other 6300 vehicles.

Able to power 6 but ideally 5 would be the limit. 2 sets were 5 and 1 was 6.

If their pockets are so deep I'm sure they could splash the cash for improvements.

Seriously how would IE of charged per coach (rough cost) considering the condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i suppose there is nothing left of the international set?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

i suppose there is nothing left of the international set?

That was the first to go as far as I recall.

So I see from the photo thread, thanks to The Wanderer, that 6402, 7146 and 6105 are off to Moyasta. 7146 wouldn't work with the other two without modification I'm sure. 6402 is the Interfleet refurbed Cafe/Bar car. Interesting choice, a unique one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Why all the mystery? :confused:

Its called respecting the desire for privacy of the entity involved.

A number of Mk3 carriages have been reserved for future use, the exact use is unknown, multiple possible options

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Longest funeral ever.

A number of Mk3 carriages have been reserved for future use, the exact use is unknown, multiple possible options

It's called trying to be very clever about knowing something that nobody else knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Why all the mystery? :confused:

Indeed! It's not as if they can "hide" them when they officially take possession of the rake.

6402 is the Interfleet refurbed Cafe/Bar car. Interesting choice, a unique one.

One of the nicest coaches, it make the other "restaurant" coaches look a really bad from lighting, seating and overall comfort. They had lots of trouble most of the fridges/oven etc lasted weeks. Guessing a power issue considering it was an extra coach on top of the catering.

Wasn't it the only accessible toilet on the Mark 3 fleet also.

Apart from IE and the buyer, does anyone here know who bought them and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Grandeeod wrote: »

I have no first-hand information, but if other forums are to be believed, the new owners are the Venice Simplon Orient Express company (VSOE). No idea what they plan to use it for or if the rumours are even true.

/csd

csd wrote: »
    I have no first-hand information, but if other forums are to be believed, the new owners are the Venice Simplon Orient Express company (VSOE). No idea what they plan to use it for or if the rumours are even true.

/csd

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Grandeeod wrote: »

If Ireland had the correct attitude to preserving it's transport history that the answer is absolutely yes to ensure it's treated as the historical asset it should be. But unfortunately nobody in the government nor CIE care in the slightest...

Given the are going to Moyasta to basically dumped in a field, there should be questions asked tbh.

VSOE thing is a joke that was taken as truth by some. It's pure fantasy.

Of course, if some other operator were to come in and use the stock on the Irish railway system it would show IE's ditching the rest of the fleet for what it was - absolutely criminal! This is the only reason that I'm interested in getting to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If Ireland had the correct attitude to preserving it's transport history that the answer is absolutely yes to ensure it's treated as the historical asset it should be. But unfortunately nobody in the government nor CIE care in the slightest...

Given the are going to Moyasta to basically dumped in a field, there should be questions asked tbh.

For the 1,000th time, it's not up to CIE/IE to preserve anything! Facilitate and engage with interested preservation groups ..yes. Anything else is superfluous. The function of CIE/IE/IR or whatever you want to call them is just to provide a decent modern transport service that's fit for the public to use.
    Whatever about the government, I think it's pretty clear that the general public in the ROI does not have the same level of interest in rolling up sleeves and/or putting its hand in its pockets to pursue heritage minded projects (and not just railways) as the uk does...chalk/cheese. That's just the way it is, the national mindset, get used to it.

If the gentleman in the WCR wants to purchase coaches and leave them rotting in a field.... that's entirely his affair. However, perhaps the WCR could do with a more 'authentic' narrow gauge atmosphere instead of gathering items of limited use detracting from the rest of what is supposed to be a working museum. You don't see the Ffestiniog or the Talyllyn mucking around with ex BR standard gauge items. Afraid they'll end up like the other half-baked, ill thought out junkyards...sorry...'industrial heritage attractions' up and down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Whatever about the government, I think it's pretty clear that the general public in the ROI does not have the same level of interest in rolling up sleeves and/or putting its hand in its pockets to pursue anything as the uk does...

fixed
    That's just the way it is, the national mindset, get used to it.

no we won't get used to it, the mindset should be forcibly changed
    Afraid they'll end up like the other half-baked, ill thought out junkyards...sorry...'industrial heritage attractions' up and down the country.

industrial heritage attractions' who are actually bothering to do their bit who can't get the volunteers. yet you call them "ill thought out junk yards" . at least they are doing their bit. maybe offer your services and help them to become better?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

no we won't get used to it, the mindset should be forcibly changed

Knock yourself out.

Yeah, we all know about what went to moyasta. Loads of photos of those poor things heading for an extended death. But I'm curious about the other set that has a "mystery" buyer. This is what needs clarification without all the Sherlock holmes ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Buying a set of light powercars, doing a refurbishment and rewire might have extended their life for quite a while.

I'm not sure that the MK4s made a whole lot of sense without buying powercars either though. That was a huge mistake.

One of the biggest issues that I've heard about anyway seems to be the 201 locomotives causing excessive track wear. They were obviously a mistake from day one as the spec could have been a lot better andb gentler on the infrastructure.

Advertisement