Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Buying a set of light powercars, doing a refurbishment and rewire might have extended their life for quite a while.

I'm not sure that the MK4s made a whole lot of sense without buying powercars either though. That was a huge mistake.

One of the biggest issues that I've heard about anyway seems to be the 201 locomotives causing excessive track wear. They were obviously a mistake from day one as the spec could have been a lot better andb gentler on the infrastructure.
    your talking about irish rail here. that is all

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm not sure that the MK4s made a whole lot of sense without buying powercars either though. That was a huge mistake.

Agree about powercars as they were getting a lighting/fast loco to replace 201's on the route but that didn't happen as it was at the start of the crash.

There is nothing good about the Mark4s apart from the color which looks quiet good. Best in the fleet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well they've probably got awards for their huge numbers of vast wheelchair accessible talking toilets!
    Shame they didn't put in automatic ramps as while you can get into the toilet no problem in a wheelchair boarding the train is impossible without assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Seems all has been revealed.http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141105006215/en/Belmond-Launch-Luxury-Touring-Train-Ireland#.VFp8vMvFLqB

Converted to a sleeper/observation set to tour Ireland. Presumably IE will operate the actual services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Seems all has been revealed.http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20141105006215/en/Belmond-Launch-Luxury-Touring-Train-Ireland#.VFp8vMvFLqB

Converted to a sleeper/observation set to tour Ireland. Presumably IE will operate the actual services?

The article says that IE will provide the haulage and depot services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what price other touring trains now?

You'd have to take them seriously when this is their 7th venture.

amazing that they will be able to get these carriges which were left out in the elements to rot back into service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

amazing that they will be able to get these carriges which were left out in the elements to rot back into service

Delighted to see this happening but once again it illustrates the criminal waste of scrapping all the other MkIIIs. Heads should roll but they won't and anyway Varadkar who was ultimately responsible has moved on.

Varadkar who was ultimately responsible has moved on.

ah shur what else would we expect apart from the same old same old? nothing changes in the world of irish politics. i agree with you though on the waste. clearly we will probably need more rolling stock to operate services, all though IE moving away from operational convenience and operating the stock on the routes each type is designed for, + growing the cork route again so the mark 4s can come back in full, should help a bit. but we will be waiting i'd say.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/new-160m-train-line-is-failing-to-get-passengers-30719976.html

seen this? passenger figures falling on several lines ...guess which ones!

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/new-160m-train-line-is-failing-to-get-passengers-30719976.html

seen this? passenger figures falling on several lines ...guess which ones!

well in fairness no surprises there. 2 trains each way on limerick junction down from 3 was always going to see a drop in usage. ballybroaphy, well considering it and the WRC take forever and a day to complete the journey its no surprise hardly anyone uses them. we had the money to save nenagh and limerick junction rosslare but miss management after miss management saw rosslare waterford die and will see limerick ballybroaphy die. maybe even limerick junction waterford also, but i'm holding out hope for that lines survival

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

VSOE thing is a joke that was taken as truth by some. It's pure fantasy.

Seems it was true after all!

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Amusing. Best of luck to them anyway. We shall see. Hopefully it gets lift off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I am actually in shock reading this.

Ireland's first sleeper train service I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I am actually in shock reading this.

Ireland's first sleeper train service I take it?

Nope, there was some sort of sleeper service - don't ask what route - in the 19th century. Also, I slept in one of the accommodation vans on the weedspray train in Foynes back in 198x - does that count? Had breakfast too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What I find interesting now is where to store all this stock. I thought IE wanted to sell alot of land around Inchicore and want the RPSI out of there to make room? As it is there is the heritage set, 8 Cravens, 2 Mk1 GSVs and a 141 from them all on site. Then there is IE's stored/withdrawn stock, 13 201s, a few 141s, a 121, all the Alstom DARTs and all the 2700s. And now a rake of 10 Mk3s that will be worked on till 2016 and may be out on the network perhaps twice a year?

Great to see that a few example of the best coaching stock ever to run in the country will be kept on and refitted.

I thought IE wanted to sell alot of land around Inchicore

i'd doubt they would get much for it at the moment. frankly i think they should keep some of it and build a full railcar depot so that lock stock and barrel from droghida and portlaoise can be transferred to dublin, but they'res more chance of the world ending. the chance of that is 0

What I find interesting now is where to store all this stock.

As Chinese-Made Razor Blades.

What I find interesting now is where to store all this stock. I thought IE wanted to sell alot of land around Inchicore and want the RPSI out of there to make room? As it is there is the heritage set, 8 Cravens, 2 Mk1 GSVs and a 141 from them all on site. Then there is IE's stored/withdrawn stock, 13 201s, a few 141s, a 121, all the Alstom DARTs and all the 2700s. And now a rake of 10 Mk3s that will be worked on till 2016 and may be out on the network perhaps twice a year?

Great to see that a few example of the best coaching stock ever to run in the country will be kept on and refitted.

Twice a year? Oh no, I think you'll find it used much more than that. There's a huge market for this sort of thing.

i'd doubt they would get much for it at the moment. frankly i think they should keep some of it and build a full railcar depot so that lock stock and barrel from droghida and portlaoise can be transferred to dublin, but they'res more chance of the world ending. the chance of that is 0

where's the logic there? Drogheda and Portlaoise are far better placed to service the fleet and land there is cheaper than Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    where's the logic there? Drogheda and Portlaoise are far better placed to service the fleet and land there is cheaper than Dublin.

a single location would obviously be better than several from a personnel, resource and equipment duplication point of view, especially for such a small overall fleet.

a single location would obviously be better than several from a personnel, resource and equipment duplication point of view, especially for such a small overall fleet.

Why so? makes no sense to have to keep moving stock through the tunnel with all the capacity problems that raises.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think you'll find it will be in use far more than that - do you seriously think an organisation is going to spend millions refurbishing the trains to just run them once or twice a year? This is a commercial business that will want to get bang for its buck.

The three trains in the UK are in use all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still s sleeper train in Ireland though?. The longest trip say from Belfast to Cork with a turnaround in Dublin would take about a maximum of 5 hours. And IE don't allow passengers on trains during shunting moves except for Killarney. To me Ireland is too small for a sleeper train imo, but I'm sure the market/business model research has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Do we know which carriages are involved in this? Presume an EGV is being used?

Still s sleeper train in Ireland though?. The longest trip say from Belfast to Cork with a turnaround in Dublin would take about a maximum of 5 hours. And IE don't allow passengers on trains during shunting moves except for Killarney. To me Ireland is too small for a sleeper train imo, but I'm sure the market/business model research has been done.

The passengers on these tours in the UK often sleep on the train when it is stabled somewhere - not when it's on the move.

I can't believe a rake of Mk3s has been saved which will add a whole new dimension to the rail network and complaining and moaning goes into overdrive.

It's a very positive move.

You should be thinking of the train as a mobile hotel, not as a sleeper train. It doesn't matter whether the train is in motion or not. It would be completely acceptable for it to stable somewhere interesting for the evening and then move on at some stage during the night. Passengers could then enjoy a run out around the town and return to their own rooms for the night and wake up somewhere new for breakfast. I'm not really sure how they would fill a while week, but I'm sure they would.

(What happens to the Cravens now I wonder? too little too late?)

• Advertisement

I think the point to make is that this is a luxury touring train hotel - it is not a standard sleeper train that people will travel on overnight.

It's a very versatile business.

I think people should look through the company website to see what they offer across the water, which varies wildly in nature, before rushing to judgements about what is on offer. It's not really like anything we have seen in Ireland before.

http://www.belmond.com/british-pullman-train/
    http://www.belmond.com/northern-belle-train/
    http://www.belmond.com/royal-scotsman-train/

As I said already, no commercial company is going to stump up the money to refurbish these coaches, which presumably will be several million, to see them lie idle in a siding for much of the year.

Advertisement