Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

quote from one of those links

With the train stabled at night in a quiet siding or station, a good night's sleep is guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

corktina wrote: »

With the train stabled at night in a quiet siding or station, a good night's sleep is guaranteed.

Lots of them in Ireland.:D

the return of Mk3s and loco haulage on a regular basis... rejoice. Let's hope it's a big sucess

(What happens to the Cravens now I wonder? too little too late?)

I guess the Belmond gig certainly means the end of the Emerald Isle express. With Belmonds marketing strength, they can promote the Grand Hibernian worldwide.

I wonder did Rail Tours Ireland get wind of this last year and try to get ahead of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I guess the Belmond gig certainly means the end of the Emerald Isle express. With Belmonds marketing strength, they can promote the Grand Hibernian worldwide.

I wonder did Rail Tours Ireland get wind of this last year and try to get ahead of the game?

I wouldnt be so sure, they may be operating in the same market but I think they might be looking at different clients. The Emerial Isle is 3.5k for 8 days. Looking at their scotish sleeper for that I could get 3 days where as the 8 day tour would be 6990 sterling (or 8930 depending on the trip).

(I am just guessing since they don't have any Irish prices listed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

where's the logic there? Drogheda and Portlaoise are far better placed to service the fleet and land there is cheaper than Dublin.
    they are way out of the way, at least portlaoise is . land being cheeper is all well and good but when its causing more inefficientsy then we have a problem

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I wouldnt be so sure, they may be operating in the same market but I think they might be looking at different clients. The Emerial Isle is 3.5k for 8 days. Looking at their scotish sleeper for that I could get 3 days where as the 8 day tour would be 6990 sterling (or 8930 depending on the trip).

(I am just guessing since they don't have any Irish prices listed)

The Emerald Isle is grossly overpriced and using stock that will be totally outclassed by a Royal Scotsman type operation, not to mention the promotion ability of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why so? makes no sense to have to keep moving stock through the tunnel with all the capacity problems that raises.

it makes more sense then running units empty to portlaoise at least. droghida is a bit better with a new facility in the dublin area to deal with everything (i wonder will we get new EMUS for DU and a new facility to look after them?) if so then they may as well build it to take care of everything. shorter empty running, and economies of scale comes to mind.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The Emerald Isle is grossly underpriced and using stock that will be totally outclassed by a Royal Scotsman type operation, not to mention the promotion ability of them

Thats what I mean, they are different offerings at different price points in the market, the start of one doesn't necessarily mean the end of the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's possible for the 'ordinary' punter to get in on the action too! Belmond shares are openly traded http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Summary?s=BEL:NYQ and while they don't currently pay a dividend they may be other benefits and they are cheap at the moment - and falling. :D

• Advertisement

Thats what I mean, they are different offerings at different price points in the market, the start of one doesn't necessarily mean the end of the other.

the Emerald Isle had barely started, was undersubscribed and was planned to run just once a year. Hardly likely to produce a return on the assets employed imo.

Jim Deegan is one smart cookie and don't be surprised if he ends up owning Belmond or at the very least CEO of its Irish operations. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

the Emerald Isle had barely started, was undersubscribed and was planned to run just once a year. Hardly likely to produce a return on the assets employed imo.

I would not be that negative about it - as another poster says they're different products.

The "assets" are all owned by someone else, the RPSI, so it's not the same situation.

Neither you nor I know how many people they needed to break even, you're just making a very big assumption that it was "undersubscribed" and therefore not making a profit.

Why is it that every time someone announces/does something positive on Irish Railways that we end up with a lot of negative comments (and I am making that as a general comment rather than aiming at anyone in particular)? Some positive thinking would not go amiss at all.

I certainly see room for both operators.

undersubscribed means empty seats and there certainly were those.

A once a year tour doesn't need much room admittedly but then are the prospective passengers going to wait for a specific week (and they chose the Autumn rather than the summer this year!) or will they find a choice of dates with the new set up more attractive?

(I suggest you see my post 184 if you think I'm negative!)

Maybe a Mod could strip this discussion off to a thread of it's own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

undersubscribed means empty seats and there certainly were those.

A once a year tour doesn't need much room admittedly but then are the prospective passengers going to wait for a specific week (and they chose the Autumn rather than the summer this year!) or will they find a choice of dates with the new set up more attractive?

(I suggest you see my post 184 if you think I'm negative!)

Well I think we should wait and see - it's rather early to be making judgements of that magnitude.

It was successful enough that they are already advertising next years tour.

http://www.railtoursireland.com/train-tour/Emerald-Island-Express/st2014/
    Ignore the date in the URL the correct date is on the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would not be that negative about it - as another poster says they're different products.

The "assets" are all owned by someone else, the RPSI, so it's not the same situation.

Neither you nor I know how many people they needed to break even, you're just making a very big assumption that it was "undersubscribed" and therefore not making a profit.

Why is it that every time someone announces/does something positive on Irish Railways that we end up with a lot of negative comments (and I am making that as a general comment rather than aiming at anyone in particular)? Some positive thinking would not go amiss at all.

I certainly see room for both operators.

Well I say fairplay to Belmond and Railtours, best of luck to both companies-may they have many years of success and gives us plenty of trains to spot!

GM228

It was successful enough that they are already advertising next years tour.

http://www.railtoursireland.com/train-tour/Emerald-Island-Express/st2014/
    Ignore the date in the URL the correct date is on the site

That was advertised before it even ran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ah c'mon now why did you tippex Broombridge out......it even has a ring to it...The Broombridge Belmont....snappy and easy to remember ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

GM228 wrote: »
    Well I say fairplay to Belmond and Railtours, best of luck to both companies-may they have many years of success and gives us plenty of trains to spot!

GM228

Absolutely ! Just look at the stunningly presented counytryside and railway which Micheal Portillo described to a VERY big UK TV audience.

Well done whomever got this deal together,and here's to it's success ! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I suspect that it wasn't as the result of CIE/IE actively promoting the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I suspect that it wasn't as the result of CIE/IE actively promoting the idea.

Wonder will they be allowed across the South Wexford line..... Without bus transfers..... ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Wonder will they be allowed across the South Wexford line..... Without bus transfers..... ;-)

the company makes a point of trains using little traveled lines.

Wouldn't it be something if this saved Limerick to Rosslare.

They wont need bus transfers, they aren't using hotels. They'll just stop for the night somewhere and continue on the next day

They wont need bus transfers, they aren't using hotels. They'll just stop for the night somewhere and continue on the next day

Yes, but they will hardly want to retrace their route from Wexford to Dublin. This is the problem when you reduce the network to little more than a skeleton with some bones missing. The missing section of the WRC from Athenry to Claremorris is another case in point. I wonder have IE informed Belmond of their intention to close the Waterford/Limerick Junction and Limerick/Ballybrophy lines?

Why not? gorgeous scenery like that is worth seeing twice. Stop somewhere different each afternoon....sounds OK to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

By the time the Mk3s are ready for this I fear there won't be much of a network left to see.

al the main lines will still be there and probably most of the others too

• Advertisement

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    the company makes a point of trains using little traveled lines.

Wouldn't it be something if this saved Limerick to Rosslare.

Its interesting alright. As things stand that run down the east coast and across to Waterford and say Kerry is a very tourist driven run. But the South Wexford route is an issue. Poor oul Michael Palin tried it on a Sunday and was out of luck.:D The Emerald isle gig got around it with a bus transfer, but Belmond would surely look to have a run across it for the sake of continuity. At least maintain the bloody thing and pass it for passenger traffic. IMO the Emerald isle gig got a bus substitution in order to avoid controversy.

Advertisement