Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I suspect that it wasn't as the result of CIE/IE actively promoting the idea.
    come on now. you know they probably didn't. CIE/IE don't even know what the words "idea" and "promote" mean

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

corktina wrote: »
    al the main lines will still be there and probably most of the others too

It would be very difficult to do any form of worthwhile journey though without the use of the radial lines which IE/CIE have been trying so hard to dismantle.

The Limerick-Rosslare section is particularly important as the most effective link between the touristy parts of the South East and South West of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

come on now. you know they probably didn't. CIE/IE don't even know what the words "idea" and "promote" mean

I think you'll find that 'actively' also isn't in their vocabulary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well, they actively pull up every siding, loop etc. that they can find and stabling the train in an attractive location will be a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

By the time the Mk3s are ready for this I fear there won't be much of a network left to see.

Perhaps Belmond will have a load of bikes in the van and passengers can use all the new Greenways where there used to be railways !!!:)

• Advertisement

Hungerford wrote: »
    It would be very difficult to do any form of worthwhile journey though without the use of the radial lines which IE/CIE have been trying so hard to dismantle before starting on the rest.

The Limerick-Rosslare section is particularly important as the most effective link between the touristy parts of the South East and South West of the country.

i agree with you, but i had to fix that up a little for you. hope you don't mind

Hungerford wrote: »
    I think you'll find that 'actively' also isn't in their vocabulary.
    yes, forgot that one, and many others. i'd say that discussion would make a good thread of its own sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I wonder will they go to Bundoran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Well, they actively pull up every siding, loop etc. that they can find and stabling the train in an attractive location will be a challenge.

on the contrary, they will have to stable in a platform for H&S reasons I imagine. Plenty of platforms around that are unused at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,191 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Thats the three going to rot in Moyasta.

This gem of information from the Irish Railway Modeller Forum http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3719-Luxury-Touring-Train/page5 refers to 'sleeping cars' mentioned earlier in this thread:

The GS&WR operated 'sleeping cars' on the Cork-Dublin Night Mail trains for a short period during late 1879 / early 1880. Accommodation on a 'sofa berth' was available at a supplementary fee of 2/6d (16 cent). Between 1908 and around the end of World War 1, the GNR(I) provided couchette accommodation on the Night Mails between Dublin and Belfast/Derry and on the Derry-Dublin service. In this case the cost was 5/- (31 cent) irrespective of the distance travelled.

On a negative note, the corporate video below, also seen first on the Irish Railway Modeller Forum, shows a Paul Henry version of Ireland and is it too much to hope that the filthy, graffiti ridden mess that is the DART system, lineside buildings etc. will be cleaned up (and kept clean) as certainly the DSER section is bound to be on the itinerary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

filthy, graffiti ridden mess that is the DART system, lineside buildings etc. will be cleaned up (and kept clean) as certainly the DSER section is bound to be on the itinerary?

Have you ever traveled on a train outside Ireland?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have you ever traveled on a train outside Ireland?

No, in fact I've never left Enniscorthy. Why do apologists for everything in Ireland always go down this road - whether it's crime, racism, graffiti or whatever? Two wrongs don't make a right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Thats the three going to rot in Moyasta.

Why do you find it necessary to have a sly dig from behind your keyboard at people who are actually trying to do something positive in developing a tourist attraction - against all the odds?

There was something in the Clare Champion recently about finally getting approval to put in a level crossing which they spent years battling.

elastico wrote: »
    Why do you find it necessary to have a sly dig from behind your keyboard at people who are actually trying to do something positive in developing a tourist attraction - against all the odds?

There was something in the Clare Champion recently about finally getting approval to put in a level crossing which they spent years battling.

Tongue in cheek my friend. Tongue in cheek. Certainly not a sly dig. I'm fully aware of what's going on at the WCR. However it has to be said that the site is spartan and that these three coaches will join the ITG stuff under tarpaulin. I personally doubt the WRC have the resources to do anything tangible with them.

Friend Whelan is a law unto himself but long term his style and attitude will bring his operation to an untimely end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Tongue in cheek my friend. Tongue in cheek. Certainly not a sly dig. I'm fully aware of what's going on at the WCR. However it has to be said that the site is spartan and that these three coaches will join the ITG stuff under tarpaulin. I personally doubt the WRC have the resources to do anything tangible with them.

Best to have them under a tarpaulin then not have them at all, had the WRC not bought then then they would most likely have been cut up! Who knows what the future may hold for them!

GM228

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »

Something tells me that you're a little behind the curve on this one. :D

dregin wrote: »

Yep. 10 coaches are going to a loaded corporate playmaker for a bells and whistles upgrade for use in Ireland. However the last few posts are referring to a few coaches that have gone to the West Clare Railway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Something tells me that you're a little behind the curve on this one. :D

:) I knew I would be, but a quick scoot about didn't turn up mention of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Irish Rail 229 hauled 11 Mk3's from Inchicore to North Wall today for overhaul in Scotland to be used for Belmond Great Hibernian. They past at 9 am at Drumcondra today:
    youtube dot com /watch?v=gDnZ1Q5doCU

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Irish Rail 229 hauled 11 Mk3's from Inchicore to North Wall today for overhaul in Scotland to be used for Belmond Great Hibernian. They past at 9 am at Drumcondra today:
    youtube dot com /watch?v=gDnZ1Q5doCU
    First of the coaches departed for Scotland Tuesday 6th January 2015 with MK3 gen van 7601.
    Regards
    hg

PS If your posting YouTube links, please ''copy & paste'' makes it easy to view and saves a lot of typing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

h.gricer wrote: »
    PS If your posting YouTube links, please ''copy & paste'' makes it easy to view and saves a lot of typing.

New posters cannot post hyperlinks until they've reached 50 posts (it stops spamming).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Does anyone know when the rest of the MK3s will be departing for Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deutschbahn

Yeah , sorry about the links problem. I will reach 50 eventually :P . Its good to hear the first of the Mk3's have been dispatched. The second batch should be shipped very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Other than the Belmond carriages, how many Mark 3s are left in Irish Rail hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Victor wrote: »
    Other than the Belmond carriages, how many Mark 3s are left in Irish Rail hands?

4 for Enterprise EGVs but they are now technically owned by NIR and 2 are being converted for the Engineering Department as the part of the new weed spray train replacing the old Mk1 GSV.

Think there is one or two others around Inchicore, 1 was used to test out the new 29k livery with just one side of it painted.

Advertisement