Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail MK3 Coaches - North Wall Update

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

4 for Enterprise EGVs but they are now technically owned by NIR and 2 are being converted for the Engineering Department as the part of the new weed spray train replacing the old Mk1 GSV.

Think there is one or two others around Inchicore, 1 was used to test out the new 29k livery with just one side of it painted.

Indeed the four EGVs are now fully owned by NIR, IE only have 7161, 7403 and 7607 on their books now.

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

as near to nil as makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

Here's a video I took a few months ago of 085 departing Limerick for Ennis with the preserved ITG MK3s.

Something I was pondering on earlier, does anyone have any photos of the interior of 7161, one of the Executive coaches? I've never travelled in it but I seem to recall a bar inside it. I have travelled in 7162, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karsini wrote: »
    Something I was pondering on earlier, does anyone have any photos of the interior of 7161, one of the Executive coaches? I've never travelled in it but I seem to recall a bar inside it. I have travelled in 7162, however.

There is defiantly a few around and I am sure they were posted on this site to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

but I seem to recall a bar inside it. I have travelled in 7162, however.
    Indeed there was ''the bar'' many a time I stood at that bar on the IRRS executive tours, great memories, I took photos on 35mm slide, but I think Id be overcome with emotion looking at the interior of that coach now, and the fabulous armchair couch with the little tables, not forgetting the armrest and the carpet, please take me back in time

Regards
    h.gricer

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

A great bar.
    Irelands fastest.
    Had a few over the years on the grest IRRS trips. Fond memories.

bar
    h.gricer wrote: »
    Indeed there was ''the bar'' many a time I stood at that bar on the IRRS executive tours, great memories, I took photos on 35mm slide, but I think Id be overcome with emotion looking at the interior of that coach now, and the fabulous armchair couch with the little tables, not forgetting the armrest and the carpet, please take me back in time

Regards
    h.gricer

Ooh, while trying to find some photos of 7161 online, to no avail, I found this gem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35814052@N06/5206847607/

The interior shot has me wondering however, were the Irish Mark 3s originally in an airline seat configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ooh, while trying to find some photos of 7161 online, to no avail, I found this gem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35814052@N06/5206847607/

The interior shot has me wondering however, were the Irish Mark 3s originally in an airline seat configuration?

were they not always a mix of airline seats and beys of 4 around tables?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yes but IE appear to of increased the number of tables and reduced the 2 seats.

• Advertisement

The only airline seats were at the very back of each end of the coach.

http://www.iol.ie/~essentialsoft/images/mk3/DSC00479.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

Ya took the words straight out of my mouth, yes yes, they did, we flew along, we'll never see rail travel, the likes of it again, after 1 railtour, down the DSE, then departing Waterford with a pair of 121s up front, standing at the bar with a pint with a head like a bishop's collar, when we got to Athy for a photo stop, I couldn't be persuaded to leave the comfort of the executive bar, so I got no photo of 131+124 at Athy with the executive train, I got a photo before we depart Waterford and only great memories after that.
    Regards
    hg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

h.gricer wrote: »
    when we got to Athy for a photo stop, I couldn't be persuaded to leave the comfort of the executive bar, so I got no photo of 131+124 at Athy with the executive train, I got a photo before we depart Waterford and only great memories after that.
    Regards
    hg

You never changed, H Gricer :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes but IE appear to of increased the number of tables and reduced the 2 seats.
    I think there was a mix. I think the push-pull sets were exclusively foursome with no tables.

It seems it was relatively easy to remove seats for things like groups of wheelchair users, so presumably it was relatively easy to swap them around also.

Victor wrote: »
    I think there was a mix. I think the push-pull sets were exclusively foursome with no tables.

It seems it was relatively easy to remove seats for things like groups of wheelchair users, so presumably it was relatively easy to swap them around also.

Yes, the push-pull sets were originally foursome with no tables. They were reconfigured as intercity stock in later years and had tables fitted at that point.

Some interior shots in this video around 7:30:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

From what I remember the MK3s when first introduced had sets of foresomes with full sized table and the rest were two seaters per coach. There were changed after a lot of complaints.

Advertisement