Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Does upload Kill your download!?

• 22-07-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

We are looking for new broadband as our company has outgrown our current provider. We are limited by the copper and the local exchange is not upgraded to Fiber yet.

Our only option is to stay with our current provider or go for a Radio based broadband as none of the good Broadband providers service our area.

Our current provider says our broadband is slow because our company is uploading files and that SDSL 10/10 will sort out the speed. We are currently 1mb up 10 down. This is for 100 users and I certainly don't want to get roped into another years contract and then find out they are wrong.

I'm with UPC at home and I don't have any problems uploading and downloading so I'm dubious.

Anyone

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes it does. If your upload is being swamped it will choke your download.
    Also, 100 users on a 10meg line slow things down as well.

Do you have 100 users at home?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 29 chosen_one

No 100 users at work. I see thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

if latency and QoS is not a problem, you could look into wireless options, they usually provide better upload speeds over ADSL. But in the end it comes down to number of connections rather than speed. In this case it is better to go with custom built router rather than weak modems company sends you. I've seen people using old P2 or P3 boxes to help them handle multiple connections better using torrents. Stock modems are meant for family setup with ~4PCs connected.

Advertisement