Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tendering for an engineer to PM new build

Options
  • 22-07-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

HI ALL!
    I am looking for an engineer to take my new build project from sketch drawing stage through to completion. I am a complete novice and want someone who will do everything from planning application thru to the end of the build.
    I am tendering to two engineers this week and have prepared the below doc for them. Can anyone see anything that I am leaving out?
    • Carry out level survey of site
    • Prepare preliminary BER calculations
    • Prepare layout drawings of dwelling, and site, to planning permission standard.
    • Prepare maps, lodge notice to newspaper, prepare site notice and other planning forms
    • Lodge 6 copies of planning application to Local Authority
    • Upgrade all drawings to construction stage including
    • 1:50 dimensioned plans and elevations and sections
    • Fully annotated with specifications and details for building structure
    • Electrical and heating layout
    • Tender document (PC sums allowed for interior finishes such as kitchen, tiling etc etc – selection by client at construction stage)
    • Issue to selected contractors and review returned tenders
    • Prepare legal transfer map for solicitor
    • Prepare Contract for signing by client and contractor
    • Issue commencement notice to Local Authority
    • Issue 3 sets construction drawings to contractor
    • Monitor works during construction
    • Stage payment certification for lending institution at each stage
    • Preparation of snag list on final inspection
    • Preparation and issue of BER certificate

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LolaLouise wrote: »

This is a very open ended statement.

It will also be subject to whatever "code of practise" the DOEHLG release for inspecting works, which will be applicable from next march onward.

you could be more specific and state a minimum of 'x' visits, or an average of 1 per week for the build schedule etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LolaLouise

OK I see your point, I will amend to read average 1 per week for the build schedule.
    Many thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The RIAI publish a standard Appointment of Architect by Domestic client form. I can't recall what it cost but it is modest ( less than 20 euro IIRC) . Why reinvent the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 seamount_2013

From 1st August you will also require PSDP services. Also, this is just an observation but it sounds like you are outlining the role of an architect more so than an engineer in your description. It obviously depends on what the project is but you may want to consider what you want from the final product before you narrow the field to just engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rodzer

It sounds like you should consider the role of an architectural technician also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

LolaLouise wrote: »
    HI ALL!
    I am looking for an engineer to take my new build project from sketch drawing stage through to completion. I am a complete novice and want someone who will do everything from planning application thru to the end of the build.
    I am tendering to two engineers this week and have prepared the below doc for them. Can anyone see anything that I am leaving out?
    • Carry out level survey of site
    • Prepare preliminary BER calculations
    • Prepare layout drawings of dwelling, and site, to planning permission standard.
    • Prepare maps, lodge notice to newspaper, prepare site notice and other planning forms
    • Lodge 6 copies of planning application to Local Authority
    • Upgrade all drawings to construction stage including
    • 1:50 dimensioned plans and elevations and sections
    • Fully annotated with specifications and details for building structure
    • Electrical and heating layout
    • Tender document (PC sums allowed for interior finishes such as kitchen, tiling etc etc – selection by client at construction stage)
    • Issue to selected contractors and review returned tenders
    • Prepare legal transfer map for solicitor
    • Prepare Contract for signing by client and contractor
    • Issue commencement notice to Local Authority
    • Issue 3 sets construction drawings to contractor
    • Stage payment certification for lending institution at each stage
    • Preparation of snag list on final inspection
    • Preparation and issue of BER certificate

Of course it depends on where your site is but you may also need a site suitability assessment carried out. I also note you haven't mentioned final Certification of the works in compliance with planning permission and building regulations. You don't mention pre-plannings, etc.

I also think the above is a little idealistic in that you are assuming that you will have a super relationship with your chosen professional and that you can work this closely with them for over a year. It might be best to get your tender broken into three stages,
    1. Design & planning application stage.
    2. Working drawings, specification, tendering & contract stage.
    3. Supervision, sign off and certification stage.

That way it makes parting company easier, if it is found necessary, at any stage.

You may also find that one professional may be very good at any one stage and mediocre at others. From this stance I think you should consider different professionals for the different stages, horses for courses and all that....you would be surprised, you may even save on your budget doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

You really should use an architect not an engineer in the design of your house. you will need an engineer too for site assessment, sight lines but combining the 2 appointments into one to save money now is false economy....in my opinion

good luck though!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mark11original

Is a Project supervisor mandatory to have at the design process (PDSP)? For a once off new build house.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Is a Project supervisor mandatory to have at the design process (PDSP)? For a once off new build house.

If there is particular risk(s) and the project will last more than 30 days or 500person days then yes you will need to appoint a PSDP for design phase and a PSCS for during construction. You also need to notify the HSA with the approved AF1 form

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

thread closed as poster has same question elsewhere

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement